2016-2017 Howard University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
yes! That is what most people are doing. My schools uses WRD.
Oh, great! thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

Still no secondary? My app was sent to them in late June..?

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Exactly how brief are we supposed to be on these questions? I don't see a word limit, and yet the questions say "briefly explain/describe." Thoughts, anyone?

I was pretty brief, one or two sentences max.
Exactly how brief are we supposed to be on these questions? I don't see a word limit, and yet the questions say "briefly explain/describe." Thoughts, anyone?

I wrote 2 paragraphs.. just wanted to get my point across.

Reactions: 1 users
Just submitted Secondary. Did anyone get a message '500 Error, OOPS something went wrong' when you tried to check application status?

Reactions: 1 user
I spent all day going through their website and past forums trying to see what others said about this too... Other medschools allow English requirements to be fulfilled through writing intensive courses but Howard only allows courses with ENG prefix I guess. I'm using the explanation box of the section to explain why I believe that one of my writing courses reflects the same objectives of English courses even though it's listed in a science department rather than English. But if anyone has called and asked about this please let us know!
How did you end up crafting your explanation? Did you also put in it's course description?

Just submitted Secondary. Did anyone get a message '500 Error, OOPS something went wrong' when you tried to check application status?
I did. At first I thought it was because I hadn't paid the application fee but even looking at it now, i'm seeing the same error message and my application has already been submitted with my application fee paid.

The status tab is for the office use only. We won't be able to see our status using the site. Be on the lookout for an email from HU. It will explain everything.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Members don't see this ad :)
+1

Got my secondary this morning!

Submitted 7/27/16, verified 8/18/16, but I just got my new MCAT score yesterday.

Got confirmation email. submitted yesterday. :)

Got confirmation email. submitted yesterday. :)

Confirmation email that your money went thru or that they got your apps? I turned mine in 4 days ago and only received a payment paid email...

I did. But my status shows submitted.

Did anyone get a confirmation email after submitting?

Did anyone get a confirmation email after submitting?

I did. "Secondary Acknowledgement" is what they called it. It basically stated that my secondary and all required documents had been received and it gave future instructions about looking out for II's, How to contact them, and the like.

Do you think it's even worth for me to apply to the school if I answered no to this question: "Have you lived (for three years or more) in communities which are medically underserved, or where the majority of the population is economically and/or educationally disadvantage?" I'm very committed to working for underserved communities and my experiences back this up; however, I know Howard is mostly accepting URM students so should I even bother? Thanks!

Do you think it's even worth for me to apply to the school if I answered no to this question: "Have you lived (for three years or more) in communities which are medically underserved, or where the majority of the population is economically and/or educationally disadvantage?" I'm very committed to working for underserved communities and my experiences back this up; however, I know Howard is mostly accepting URM students so should I even bother? Thanks!

I think so. I'm on the same boat as you. It couldn't hurt. As long you explain your passion to work in underserved communities, that would be positive. My opinion..

Confirmation email that your money went thru or that they got your apps? I turned mine in 4 days ago and only received a payment paid email...
Secondary received.

I think you should still apply. You don't have to come from an underserved community to care for members of the community. And many URMs were not raised in these communities but still show their dedication to the communities via their experiences, similar to yourself.

Did anybody write anywhere a type of "Why Howard" statement? I was thinking of putting it in the "additional information" section but I already have two solid paragraphs and I don't want to overdo it

How did you end up crafting your explanation? Did you also put in it's course description?

lol I did that and explained the goals of the English department at my school and how the course goals reflect the learning objectives from the English department

Question about the MCAT section: ARe you planning to take or retake the MCAT?

I have taken the MCAT in summer 2016 , but my score was not so high, but im still applying this cycle, meanwhile considering to retake it. Do you think I should claim that I am retaking the test even though my score from previous MCAT is released!!?

Question about the MCAT section: ARe you planning to take or retake the MCAT?

I have taken the MCAT in summer 2016 , but my score was not so high, but im still applying this cycle, meanwhile considering to retake it. Do you think I should claim that I am retaking the test even though my score from previous MCAT is released!!?

Didn't that section ask if you're planning to retake the MCAT for this application year? If so, I wouldn't click yes unless you've already signed up for it and know for sure that your scores will be released within their time frame for accepting new scores. If the question was as general as you put it and your score is so low to the point where it would probably be a major deterrent, then I would click yes.

Does Howard have post-secondary screening in terms of GPA, MCAT and EC?

This is going to sound dumb, but if I took my MCAT and now have my score back should I answer yes or no to "Do you plan to take/retake the MCAT during the current application year?" -- I just put No under the assumption they will have my new score (July 22nd test, Aug 23rd score release) -- applied after receiving the new score.

This is going to sound dumb, but if I took my MCAT and now have my score back should I answer yes or no to "Do you plan to take/retake the MCAT during the current application year?" -- I just put No under the assumption they will have my new score (July 22nd test, Aug 23rd score release) -- applied after receiving the new score.

How did your MCAT go?

Did anyone get a secondary completion email yet? Looking to see if i should look for it in my spam/trash but not sure what the title is

Hey everyone! M1 here at Howard. I know how long and stressful the process can be, but try your best to remain patient and enjoy the journey. Medical education is a marathon and the application process is just the beginning!

Just some quick advice for your secondary for Howard. In addition to answering the questions in the prompt, try your best to weave in information about yourself and your experiences that may set you apart from other applicants, especially those experiences that relate to service to underserved populations, and overcoming obstacles that you have encountered.

If any of you have any questions for me, let me know!

Best of luck to you all!

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 users
So in the secondary they ask you to put the courses you are planning to take, what if when you filled out your AMCAS you already did that. I can't leave it blank.

I just realized on the first part of my secondary I included the wrong school name but then at the end I mentioned Howard. I hope they have a sense of humor when it comes to typos.. I really like this school :) &%$*!

I just realized on the first part of my secondary I included the wrong school name but then at the end I mentioned Howard. I hope they have a sense of humor when it comes to typos.. I really like this school :) &%$*!

:scared:..Yikes! Maybe they wont notice....

:scared:..Yikes! Maybe they wont notice....

I really hope so, I think the essay is well written. I put my heart into it but mentioned Miami Miller then Howard. I’m low-key laughing about it but also bummed..

"your secondary has been screened/received & a preliminary review has taken place" -hucm Monday afternoon

This acknowledgement email means that all of your documents have been received and a preliminary review has taken place. However, please note: Our class average is 502. was that for anybody

Did you guys receive a confirmation email when you submitted? Mine just says complete on the portal

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile