2016-2017 Howard University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Members don't see this ad :)
No secondary yet what is going on ?

Reactions: 1 user
No secondary yet, submitted a week ago. :scared:

Received my secondary this morning around 9am central! Can confirm the prompt as well.

Good luck to all!

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Everyone just try to breathe. :)
They do multiple "soft releases" of the secondary so 1) they don't crash their own system sending them in mass to thousands and 2)so big email hosts like hotmail and gmail etc doesn't signal it as spam which happens when a server releases ton of data/emails at once.
I also have not received a secondary but I'm not worried in the least. They sent an email beginning of august saying they would distribute the secondary mid-late august.
We will get getting them soon :nod:
for now with the prompts availible lets pre-write

Reactions: 7 users
They do multiple "soft releases" of the secondary so 1) they don't crash their own system sending them in mass to thousands and 2)so big email hosts like hotmail and gmail etc doesn't signal it as spam which happens when a server releases ton of data/emails at once.
I also have not received a secondary but I'm not worried in the least. They sent an email beginning of august saying they would distribute the secondary mid-late august.

Voice of reason.:thumbup: I feel better now lol.

Reactions: 2 users

Damn I had my pitch forks, lit torches, and angry mobs all ready to go

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 4 users
AMCAS verified 08/05/16 Received secondary 08/18/16

English Courses: SHOULD HAVE AN ENGLISH PREFIX TO BE CONSIDERED AS FULFILLING THE REQUIREMENT: FOR INSTANCE, EN 101 OR ENG 101, OR LIT 202. The courses may be introductory college English requirements, English writing, English grammar courses, or English literature courses. We do not consider “technical writing” or “scientific writing” courses as fulfilling the English requiremen unless it has an ENGLISH PREFIX.

When I was doing Howard's secondary I noticed this ^. So we can only enter English courses that started with those prefixes?! Let me know what you guys are doing!

English Courses: SHOULD HAVE AN ENGLISH PREFIX TO BE CONSIDERED AS FULFILLING THE REQUIREMENT: FOR INSTANCE, EN 101 OR ENG 101, OR LIT 202. The courses may be introductory college English requirements, English writing, English grammar courses, or English literature courses. We do not consider “technical writing” or “scientific writing” courses as fulfilling the English requiremen unless it has an ENGLISH PREFIX.

When I was doing Howard's secondary I noticed this ^. So we can only enter English courses that started with those prefixes?! Let me know what you guys are doing!

I spent all day going through their website and past forums trying to see what others said about this too... Other medschools allow English requirements to be fulfilled through writing intensive courses but Howard only allows courses with ENG prefix I guess. I'm using the explanation box of the section to explain why I believe that one of my writing courses reflects the same objectives of English courses even though it's listed in a science department rather than English. But if anyone has called and asked about this please let us know!

I spent all day going through their website and past forums trying to see what others said about this too... Other medschools allow English requirements to be fulfilled through writing intensive courses but Howard only allows courses with ENG prefix I guess. I'm using the explanation box of the section to explain why I believe that one of my writing courses reflects the same objectives of English courses even though it's listed in a science department rather than English. But if anyone has called and asked about this please let us know!
Glad to know I'm not the only one. Have you turned your application in? My prefix for English at my college is WRD composition and communication 1.. Hopefully they still count that.

Got my secondary today!!
Unsure of the legitimacy behind this - but is the school possibly closing the hospital or part of the school? Only thing I can find is regarding school financial issues - & unsure whether this should be considered alarming or not.
No secondary yet either. What's up with the admissions office btw? I tried calling their office but their number is out of service...

Soooo if I got a C- and did a postbacc I am still ineligible to apply?

No secondary yet either. What's up with the admissions office btw? I tried calling their office but their number is out of service...

I haven't gotten anything and no one is responding. Not sure what to do

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 users
"Please provide below any additional information you believe is important in evaluating your application (e.g. additional coursework, problems with academic record; disadvantaged, etc.)"

Would this be the area to write about my background as an immigrant, being the first from my family to go through undergrad in the US etc etc?

I spoke to them about their English requirement, they said they know other schools are different, so just explain in the little box below and they recheck with your AMCAS info as well!

"Please provide below any additional information you believe is important in evaluating your application (e.g. additional coursework, problems with academic record; disadvantaged, etc.)"

Would this be the area to write about my background as an immigrant, being the first from my family to go through undergrad in the US etc etc?

I would say so

How many characters/words are you guys providing for your responses? There's no limit and they all say "explain/describe briefly" so I don't know if I should overshoot or keep it to 400-500 characters or less

Hi everyone! Received my secondary today and wanted to clear some stuff up for those trying to contact admissions. According to the secondary, admissions is only available via phone (202-806-6279) on Mondays, Thursdays, and Fridays from 2pm-3:30pm (pay attention to time zone). The secondary also states that emails to admissions will be reviewed beginning in late August.

Hope this helps some of you!

Sent from my Studio 6.0 LTE using SDN mobile

For those of you who have lived in economically/educationally disadvantaged or medically underserved areas, into how much detail are you answering question 4? (Have you lived (for three years or more) in communities which are medically underserved, or where the majority of the population is economically and/or educationally disadvantaged? ).

There are no word limits. How long are you guys writing ?

What's the word count for the essay questions?

There are no word limits. How long are you guys writing ?

I wrote about 2 paragraphs..basically how much ever you need to answer the prompt I think. Has anyone been able to view their status? I submitted my secondary 3 days ago but I cant see my status.

I wrote about 2 paragraphs..basically how much ever you need to answer the prompt I think. Has anyone been able to view their status? I submitted my secondary 3 days ago but I cant see my status.

Thanks

Secondary received this morning. I also noticed they do not accept AMCAS fee waivers for secondary fees? What is that about?

Secondary received this morning.

anyone confused on the english course requirement? my school uses RH for rhetoric instead of EN or ENG. Should i write in the explanation the description of the course from our website?

anyone confused on the english course requirement? my school uses RH for rhetoric instead of EN or ENG. Should i write in the explanation the description of the course from our website?
yes! That is what most people are doing. My schools uses WRD.