2016-2017 Georgetown University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
For the question: Will you be out of the country during our interview season (August - February)?
I live in Canada so how do I respond to this? Should I just say Yes, and then for the question When: say that I live in Canada?
Or should I say no? :S

I'd probably answer yes, and then say something along the lines of, "While I live in Canada, I have no long-term commitments out of the country that will preclude interview scheduling" or something along those lines!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 users
I'd probably answer yes, and then say something along the lines of, "While I live in Canada, I have no long-term commitments out of the country that will preclude interview scheduling" or something along those lines!

Thanks!

Reactions: 1 user
II!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know how many people Georgetown interviews every year?

II! shiz im pumped. ~3.5 GPA, 512

II!!!! I love Georgetown! My 2 page "why Georgetown" must have swayed them :)

Reactions: 2 users
I am so happy for (and jealous of) all of you!

My very first II! I'm over the MOON, I love Georgetown so much ugh I can't WAIT

LizzyM ~73, submitted secondary 7/7

Members don't see this ad :)
Lmao you know you need to chill 100% when you submitted your secondary last night at what is 10:30 in Georgetown's time zone and are sad you didn't get offered an interview THE NEXT DAY. (me)

Congrats everyone!!!!!

Reactions: 8 users
Omg congrats everyone!!! So many exclamation marks everywhere!!! Lol

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

So very jealous of all of you...congratulations! Time to change up my strategy, the panic has finally set in

Haha how did you know? ;)

Haha could've just been a big fan. Congrats on the II! When did you submit your materials?

Another question that is probably somewhere that I haven't seen yet: are applicants pre-screened or does everyone get a secondary?

Haha could've just been a big fan. Congrats on the II! When did you submit your materials?

Another question that is probably somewhere that I haven't seen yet: are applicants pre-screened or does everyone get a secondary?

I submitted my secondary on June 30th. V aggressive but it is a top choice. I believe everyone gets a secondary at georgetown.

Still waiting on a rec letter to come in so I can be complete. Really hope I get a shot here :(

My school doesn't start sending letters of rec until August 1st (I have no idea why). My application is complete EXCEPT for my committee letter. Does this put me at a disadvantage? My letter won't be put in the mail until the 1st...does this put a detriment to my chances of receiving an II?

My school doesn't start sending letters of rec until August 1st (I have no idea why). My application is complete EXCEPT for my committee letter. Does this put me at a disadvantage? My letter won't be put in the mail until the 1st...does this put a detriment to my chances of receiving an II?
Mine takes a month to write the cover letter after you get all of your individual letters sent to them and I had one that didn't submit til this last Monday... So I feel your pain :/

Sent from my LGMS631 using SDN mobile

Mine takes a month to write the cover letter after you get all of your individual letters sent to them and I had one that didn't submit til this last Monday... So I feel your pain :/

Why do these committees even exist? I'm so incredibly happy my school didn't use one. So dumb.

Reactions: 3 users
Why do these committees even exist? I'm so incredibly happy my school didn't use one. So dumb.

When I found out that my school would no longer be having a pre-med committee, I was annoyed because I would have to go through the process of submitting my letters individually and having to meet school specific requirements. Looking back on it, I'm glad that they don't exist anymore. I am complete at almost all the schools I have applied to and I'm having more success than I probably would be if I had a committee letter and had to wait till August, at best to get my letter and be complete in terms of my secondaries. I feel like a committee letter is add a little to your application and do nothing but waste of valuable time during application cycle.

When I found out that my school would no longer be having a pre-med committee, I was annoyed because I would have to go through the process of submitting my letters individually and having to meet school specific requirements. Looking back on it, I'm glad that they don't exist anymore. I am complete at almost all the schools I have applied to and I'm having more success than I probably would be if I had a committee letter and had to wait till August, at best to get my letter and be complete in terms of my secondaries. I feel like a committee letter is add a little to your application and do nothing but waste of valuable time during application cycle.
Wastes time and isn't it actually pretty impersonal? Like doesn't it compare you to other students in your class and if you're not one of the top students wouldn't it hurt you? Seems ****ty from a LoR

Last edited:
I think they did give that information when we used to have a committee, but I was mostly just venting due to the incompetence of my current pre-med advisor. I have been a firsthand witness to his ineptitude. The fact that he allows Caribbean schools to come to our career fairs shows me how much faith I should have in his abilities to evaluate my potential to become a future doctor. I feel sorry for the naive students who take his word as gospel truth or something.

Just as an example, he told me a couple of months ago that I would have a "tough" application cycle, and I currently have 5 interviews lined up. Who knows, I might end up proving him right by completely blowing them. Either way, I don't think he would be able to find his @ss with both hands behind his back. Okay, I'll get off my soapbox now.
What was his reasoning for a tough cycle?

I think they did give that information when we used to have a committee, but I was mostly just venting due to the incompetence of my current pre-med advisor. I have been a firsthand witness to his ineptitude. The fact that he allows Caribbean schools to come to our career fairs shows me how much faith I should have in his abilities to evaluate my potential to become a future doctor. I feel sorry for the naive students who take his word as gospel truth or something.

Just as an example, he told me a couple of months ago that I would have a "tough" application cycle, and I currently have 5 interviews lined up. Who knows, I might end up proving him right by completely blowing them. Either way, I don't think he would be able to find his @ss with both hands behind his back. Okay, I'll get off my soapbox now.
Yeah it just really makes me mad that now I may not get interview invites because slots may already be filled. And I don't even know if my school sends them to AMCAS electronically or through the mail. If they send through the mail, then I won't be complete at schools until September, and won't get in anywhere this cycle. Jesus m************ Christ. Is a complete application sometime in August simply because it's your school's fault the end all? Heck we can't even control it, why is that a strike against us...?

Complete 6/24

Stats: 3.3 cgpa, 4.0 postbacc gpa, 517, URM, nontrad

Congrats!! This is very comforting. We have the exact same stats (MCAT Pending, but I predict roughly that).

Edited for anonymity

Last edited:
Your situation is similar to mine.

3.3 cGPA 4.0 upper division coursework for 3 years. 514 MCAT URM

My committee was actually very supportive and the director said someone would probably be willing to look over younger day "indiscretions".

If someone can show they are different from typical cookie cutter 21 year old upper class bookworms that haven't really shown growth, overcome any challenges, or embodied any real life experiences, the results will speak!

Congrats!

It's great that some schools are willing to forgive a not so impressive academic record if you've shown improvement over time. I wish you the best of luck with the application process. I have no doubt that you will get in somewhere.:)

congratulations everyone! could you share the available interview dates?

I already scheduled mine, so it's not allowing me to see all the dates anymore, but from what I can remember they start the week of September 5th on that Tues, Wed, Thurs maybe? And then the next week Mon, Tues, Wed, Thurs! It seems like they have a variety of days available for interview.

congratulations everyone! could you share the available interview dates?

I'm not sure what is currently available, but what I was offered was during the week of 8/29.

I'm not sure what is currently available, but what I was offered was during the week of 8/29.
Oh interesting! There was nothing available in August for me when I went on... either that or I completely missed it:rolleyes:

It could be that different batches of people were offered different days. I'm scared to check because it would require canceling and rescheduling my date, which could mean that I lose that particular spot and have to wait for a later one that may not work for me.

It could be that different batches of people were offered different days. I'm scared to check because it would require canceling and rescheduling my date, which could mean that I lose that particular spot and have to wait for a later one that may not work for me.
of course please don't check - thank you for sharing the information!

Same exact thought process here

I was offered from the very last day of August all the way through September.....first few dates available didn't work as well for me, so see you guys in early September!

Guys my cover letter has been completed way ahead of schedule and should be at my schools within the next few days!!!