2016-2017 Georgetown University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Should the "Why Georgetown" essay be single or double spaced?

I did 1.5 because either of those options looked obnoxious to me

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
My secondary essay on "Why Georgetown" was 1.5 pages with 1.5 spacing.

Did anyone have any issue with submitting the secondary application? I clicked submit and pay and after I submitted my payment, the application portal only shows "session identifier" and did not process my application as submitted. I checked my credit card transaction history and it shows that the payment was made.

The more I read about this school, the more I like it. Esp. the Mind-Body Medicine classes/ Health Justice Scholar Track. Good luck to everyone applying!

Reactions: 3 users
Just submitted! Now the wait begins :banana:

Reactions: 1 user
For any possible incoming M1's or current students -- do you remember how long it took to receive your II after submitting your secondary?

I don't think the first IIs will arrive until next week. The past two years, the first II on SDN was on Monday, 7/13/15 (12 days after first secondary) and Friday, 7/25/14 (16 days after the first secondary).

Same as last year's prompts.

The Georgetown University School of Medicine strives to ensure that its students become respectful physicians who embrace all dimensions of caring for the whole person. Please describe how your personal characteristics or life experiences will contribute to the Georgetown University School of Medicine community and bring educational benefits to our student body. (1000 characters)

Is there any further information that you would like the Committee on Admissions to be aware of when reviewing your file that you were not able to notate in another section of this or the AMCAS Application? (1000 characters)

Why have you chosen to apply to the Georgetown University School of Medicine and how do you think your education at Georgetown will prepare you to become a physician for the future? (1-2 pages, PDF form)

@WedgeDawg

Members don't see this ad :)
For any possible incoming M1's or current students -- do you remember how long it took to receive your II after submitting your secondary?
My II came about one month later!

Just noticed there is a mistake in the secondaries posted in this topic!!! The PDF you have to upload needs to be ONE page, not 1-2. Sucks because I already wrote a long one :(

@WedgeDawg

Reactions: 2 users
Was it like that initially? Guess I'll have to say goodbye to Georgetown, since I clearly
cant follow directions

Just noticed there is a mistake in the secondaries posted in this topic!!! The PDF you have to upload needs to be ONE page, not 1-2. Sucks because I already wrote a long one :(

@WedgeDawg

Wth? I remember it said 1-2 pages in the secondary when I submitted it.... I guess submitting early was not a good idea lol

Wth? I remember it said 1-2 pages in the secondary when I submitted it.... I guess submitting early was not a good idea lol
I thought so too! There was even a big discussion about that on this thread ! That would be terrible cause I submitted sometime back ..

Was it like that initially? Guess I'll have to say goodbye to Georgetown, since I clearly
cant follow directions

This is really weird. I'm 99% sure when I wrote a 2 page response, the secondary indicated 1-2 pages....maybe they read mine and then decided screw that let's just make it 1 page. I assume we wouldn't get penalized for following the instructions that were in the secondary at the time we submitted?

Just so no one thinks I am nuts....

Capture.jpg

I am fairly certain that the secondary prompt when I submitted it (7/4) was 1-2 pages formatted at your discretion. I don't understand why there would be a sudden change in policy midway through the application cycle though. We can't *all* have misread the instructions, right?

Reactions: 5 users
I swore it said 1-2 because I remember being annoyed at the length requirement.

Damn. Hopefully this isn't a deal breaker because I submitted already and it was 1.5 in length.

Hopping on the nope train, because my essay was also 1.5 pages and I submitted it the same day I got it.

Georgetown, let me love you, goodness.

Reactions: 4 users
Hopping on the nope train, because my essay was also 1.5 pages and I submitted it the same day I got it.

Georgetown, let me love you, goodness.
Yes I can swear that it said 1-2 pages , I am pretty sure that they changed the prompt. They may have done that to limit the length for the people submitting from here on. Not sure if that's ok to do..
But I am planning to call them in the morning and tell them about it and I would strongly urge everyone who has already submitted a longer essay to call them and let them know that the earlier prompt was longer ... So that we are not penalized for it

Putting my $.02 in.... I also agree that it said 1-2 pages. For every secondary I complete, I copy and paste the prompts FROM THE SECONDARY (not sdn) to my own word document and work from there. My word documents says 1-2 pages.

Imagine how many people have more than 1 page at this point... lol glad you guys all did the same, I panicked for a minute!

Yes I can swear that it said 1-2 pages , I am pretty sure that they changed the prompt. They may have done that to limit the length for the people submitting from here on. Not sure if that's ok to do..
But I am planning to call them in the morning and tell them about it and I would strongly urge everyone who has already submitted a longer essay to call them and let them know that the earlier prompt was longer ... So that we are not penalized for it

Would you mind letting us know what they say about it? I hate to call if it's not a big deal to them because I know they get a lot of communication.

I specifically remember it saying 1-2 pages. Luckily I only wrote one page (felt like I was able to express it all in just a page) but I would have gone on longer if I felt it necessary. None of y'all are crazy.

Also, let's let one spokesperson call them. No need to overwhelm their office with 50 people calling about whether their essay was too long.

Whoever calls should ask them to send out an email to those who submitted prior to the change in instructions, indicating their official decision as to whether their app will be screened out if they wrote >1 page. If they do that, they're gonna get a lot of requests for the "non-refundable" $130. I think a refund in that instance would actually be justifiable b/c you agreed to pay the fee based on the content of the application instructions/your responses at the time you submitted...

I specifically remember it saying 1-2 pages. Luckily I only wrote one page (felt like I was able to express it all in just a page) but I would have gone on longer if I felt it necessary. None of y'all are crazy.

Also, let's let one spokesperson call them. No need to overwhelm their office with 50 people calling about whether their essay was too long.
The reason I said more people should call is that it will make it more credible. The chances of disregarding a single call or complaint is more than that of multiple calls. Atleast if there were a handful of phone calls they will probably send out an official email. I will try calling in any case. I think it's good to let them know that more people are concerned about this.

The reason I said more people should call is that it will make it more credible. The chances of disregarding a single call or complaint is more than that of multiple calls. Atleast if there were a handful of phone calls they will probably send out an official email. I will try calling in any case. I think it's good to let them know that more people are concerned about this.

In that case someone could test the waters and if disregarded, then we can have multiple callers.

Eh... eh? I'm digging my idea.

In that case someone could test the waters and if disregarded, then we can have multiple callers.

Eh... eh? I'm digging my idea.

Agreed with the above. I see the point @ishiningstar. Let's have you call first and if you feel like it's not taken too seriously or something of the like, post back and a few more of us can call.

Agreed with the above. I see the point @ishiningstar. Let's have you call first and if you feel like it's not taken too seriously or something of the like, post back and a few more of us can call.
Sounds good , am at work , will try calling when I get a chance and let you know.

Reactions: 1 users
Sounds good , am at work , will try calling when I get a chance and let you know.
Ok guys good news ! I called and even before I completed my question , the lady said "don't worry about the downsizing, it was a recent change and nobody will be penalized " . Lol :claps:

Reactions: 7 users
Ok guys good news ! I called and even before I completed my question , the lady said "don't worry about the downsizing, it was a recent change and nobody will be penalized " . Lol :claps:

Thanks so much!

Awesome- thank you so much for calling and for notifying us!

ImageUploadedBySDN1467999230.508371.jpg

You are truly the real MVP.

Reactions: 6 users
For the guys - Anyone of you wear a tie for your photo? I took mines without a tie, wearing a button up, clean shaved. Already submitted, but I'm having second thoughts as to whether or not it's too much on the informal side. Thoughts?

I had a tie, but I cropped it just under where the collar buttons because the tie was skewed to the left. You can see I'm wearing a collared shirt and and suit and there's some element of a tie but it's hard to see any detail.

For the question: Will you be out of the country during our interview season (August - February)?
I live in Canada so how do I respond to this? Should I just say Yes, and then for the question When: say that I live in Canada?
Or should I say no? :S