2015-2016 Wayne State University School of Medicine Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Did anyone get a confirmation email after submitting the secondary? I got a confirmation email for my payment, but I didn't get an email saying I'm complete after submitting my secondary, and I submitted about a week ago.

Members don't see this ad.

Did anyone get a confirmation email after submitting the secondary? I got a confirmation email for my payment, but I didn't get an email saying I'm complete after submitting my secondary, and I submitted about a week ago.

Their admissions portal/system is very antiquated so I would give them some time.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
http://admissions.med.wayne.edu/apply.php

This page says that you only have three weeks after you're accepted to make a decision as to whether you wish to matriculate at WSU, is that correct?
Most schools require that you "accept" their offer within 2-3 weeks. But you can hold multiple acceptances until April 15, 2016. Then you must only hold one acceptance.

Reactions: 1 user
Does anyone know if completion of prerequisite courses are needed prior to application or prior to matriculation?

So since Wayne's application asks specifically for cultural diversity I'm assuming this isn't a "how are you unique?" essay and that it is more of a "what is your experience with people with backgrounds different from your own?" kind of essay. Is this how most of you approached it?

So since Wayne's application asks specifically for cultural diversity I'm assuming this isn't a "how are you unique?" essay and that it is more of a "what is your experience with people with backgrounds different from your own?" kind of essay. Is this how most of you approached it?
Yes, but as a multi-culti/multi racial person, this is the same for me.

I got an email that said secondary application received. is this the complete email or should there be another email after this?

I didn't get any emails but when i log in it says my secondary was submitted

so this may be a dumb question.. But In the general questions they ask about how many hours a week you've worked in non healthcare organizations. what exactly does that mean? Is that just any job I've had since starting college? I'm confused

Members don't see this ad :)
Does getting this email mean we are complete?

"Thank you for submitting your Secondary Application. We have received all of your materials including letters of recommendation. Please do not respond to this e-mail. E-mail enquiries may be addressed to[email protected].

Your application will be reviewed to determine if you will be selected for an interview sometime between now and February 2016 when we conclude our interviews. This process may take several months as we receive many more applications than we can interview."

Does getting this email mean we are complete?

"Thank you for submitting your Secondary Application. We have received all of your materials including letters of recommendation. Please do not respond to this e-mail. E-mail enquiries may be addressed to[email protected].

Your application will be reviewed to determine if you will be selected for an interview sometime between now and February 2016 when we conclude our interviews. This process may take several months as we receive many more applications than we can interview."
Yes

Last edited:
so this may be a dumb question.. But In the general questions they ask about how many hours a week you've worked in non healthcare organizations. what exactly does that mean? Is that just any job I've had since starting college? I'm confused
Really looking to submit this secondary ASAP so if someone could help me out here I would appreciate it :rolleyes:

I took it to mean yearlong employment during school
Okay, I'm just confused because it's so nonspecific. I've had a job on-campus before but that was during sophomore year. It doesn't seem right to say 12hrs/week when it was for a little less than a year.

how are you guys approaching the question about cultural diversity? Not sure if they want us to refer to experiences or just personal backgrounds we have...

So did I misinterpret the "worked in non-healthcare organizations" part? I put down the hours I volunteered/week for non-academic commitments...UGH.

But then again, its a poorly worded question in my opinion, as it doesn't specify the time-frame. Worked 40+ hours/week during the summer one time vs. 0 hours/week during school. Which one do they mean?

Has Wayne offered any II's yet? I looked to last year's tread, but I'm thinking the timelines might not be accurate as they switched to an online portal system this application season.

Has Wayne offered any II's yet? I looked to last year's tread, but I'm thinking the timelines might not be accurate as they switched to an online portal system this application season.

Yes, they have.

I submitted my form yesterday but do not have a link on the portal to pay the fee. Just me?

II!!!

I'm a re-applicant and this is my first II so I am very excited!

Reactions: 1 users
II! First U.S. II ever (I am a Canadian applicant)!

Reactions: 3 users
II! First U.S. II ever (I am a Canadian applicant)!

Congrats - Canadian here too. May I ask what day you received the complete email?

Last edited:
Congrats! SO exciting! Best of luck to you both.
Mind sharing your completion email dates?

Just received an II here as well! 3rd one so far, what a great start for this application season!

Congrats - Canadian here too. May I ask what day you received the complete email?
I received the complete email on August 4th.

I got an interview request survey. For confirmation, this is an actual interview invite, correct? I just want to make sure they're not checking everybody's times or something. Knowing medical school admissions something like that wouldn't surprise me.
Yup. That was the same email I received. In Q1 they stated that the school "would like to invite you to interview" so I took it as confirmation of II.

@eel that is a QUICK turn around! You must have a fantastic application!

Go get 'um!

Congrats! SO exciting! Best of luck to you both.
Mind sharing your completion email dates?

I'm an MD/PhD applicant.
AMCAS Submitted: 7/1 (first day)
Secondary Received: 7/31
Secondary Submitted: 8/1
Email Confirming Completion: 8/4

And yes, @Monster_Cat I am under the impression this is an actual II.

Thanks @drpepper92! I was surprised at how quick it was too. I am a non-trad applicant so I have had longer to acquire ECs. I have completed two undergrad degrees so I don't know how comparable my stats are with others: LizzyM is 66 with the first degree, 73 with the second.

Reactions: 2 users
I'll be joining you guys in the interview pool! :soexcited:
Thanks @drpepper92! I was surprised at how quick it was too. I am a non-trad applicant so I have had longer to acquire ECs. I have completed two undergrad degrees so I don't know how comparable my stats are with others: LizzyM is 66 with the first degree, 73 with the second.
What about with Wayne's last 20 credits policy?
From the Self-Assessment available at an admissions.med.wayne.edu url:

WSUSOM Self Assessment said:

Last edited:

Congrats @mehc012! Yes that policy basically nullifies my earlier work and leaves me with the latter LizzyM. Thanks for the heads-up!

A top choice in my home state and going to be applying here next year. Wishing you all luck this cycle!

Anyone doing early decision???

Secondary Received 07 August 2015
Submitted today! 14 August 2015!!

Now comes the wait...

Does anyone know if Wayne State pre-screens heavily and how many people do they give out secondaries??

Does anyone know if Wayne State pre-screens heavily and how many people do they give out secondaries??
They do pre screen heavily. Not sure how many secondaries they hand out though

First time writing here. Has anyone had issues with the secondary application form? I had two issues:
First, a message showed up stating there is a duplicate form and that the secondary application has been submitted already. I just signed in with my username and password when that message showed up. I did not submit the application.
Second, I entered an activity in a wrong category, deleted it and placed it in the correct category and saved my progress; however, the form now shows the activity in both wrong and correct category.
Any input on how to at least solve the second problem?? :)
Also, organic chemistry research would be placed in healthcare or community activities?

First time writing here. Has anyone had issues with the secondary application form? I had two issues:
First, a message showed up stating there is a duplicate form and that the secondary application has been submitted already. I just signed in with my username and password when that message showed up. I did not submit the application.
Second, I entered an activity in a wrong category, deleted it and placed it in the correct category and saved my progress; however, the form now shows the activity in both wrong and correct category.
Also, organic chemistry research would be placed in healthcare or community activities?

I would contact them. I found them to be readily responsive via email.

I don't know about the first issues, but orgo research fits in neither of those two categories.