2015-2016 Wayne State University School of Medicine Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Finally got my secondary from Wayne. The things I'll do to move back to Michigan.
+1 really took that whole "before the end of july" statement seriously now didn't they :laugh:

Members don't see this ad.

When they say "Do you consider yourself a legal resident of Michigan?"

If you answered yes to the above question, please provide a brief explanation as to why....... ( because i was born and/or live here) , Whats the appropriate answer here?

When they say "Do you consider yourself a legal resident of Michigan?"

If you answered yes to the above question, please provide a brief explanation as to why....... ( because i was born and/or live here) , Whats the appropriate answer here?
Thats what I said

Members don't see this ad :)
Still waiting for the secondary.

Anyone else in the same boat?

Reactions: 1 users
Does anyone if they look at whole primary application before sending out a secondary or do they just look at stats? Just curious.

For the question about cultural diversity, what did you guys put? I'm not from an unique culture so I don't even know how I would improve their cultural diversity...

Hey guys, good luck applying to Wayne!

I'm a 2015 graduate, now a cardiothoracic surgery PGY-1. I probably won't be helpful with the minutiae of the application process or pre-clinical years (it's been a long time since I was there, things have probably changed a fair amount, and I feel old as ****). But, feel free to get in touch if you want the perspective of someone who has gone through the whole process and made it out the other side.

Also: Detroit is a pretty damn cool place. I actually miss living there now that I'm gone (http://www.nytimes.com/2015/07/12/fashion/last-stop-on-the-l-train-detroit.html).

Reactions: 1 user
When you guys paid the fee, does it say your full name on the receipt they emailed you? Because mine only said my first name and now I'm worried that they won't be able to match the fee to my application because I can't remember if I entered my last name and/or amcas number or not :(

When you guys paid the fee, does it say your full name on the receipt they emailed you? Because mine only said my first name and now I'm worried that they won't be able to match the fee to my application because I can't remember if I entered my last name and/or amcas number or not :(
Mine showed up the same way as yours. I wouldn't worry.

If you guys viewed your application as a PDF, did your actual photo show up on the PDF? Mine just has the image name. I clicked on upload and everything, but I never saw my actual photo on the secondary. I'm guessing adcoms see something different?

Mine showed up the same way as yours. I wouldn't worry.

If you guys viewed your application as a PDF, did your actual photo show up on the PDF? Mine just has the image name. I clicked on upload and everything, but I never saw my actual photo on the secondary. I'm guessing adcoms see something different?
Mine never showed up just the file name. I think its safe to assume thats normal

Members don't see this ad :)
Got the complete email saying they have everything including LoR

In the Activities and Community Service section, should we list hours that we anticipate to complete, like we did in AMCAS, or should we list hours we have completed up until today? Also, would it be OK to split hours between different categories? For example, I tutor English literacy in an underserved community. I have 200 hours for this activity. Can I put 100 hours of this activity under "Participating in mentoring and/or tutoring activities" and the other 100 hours under "Volunteered or worked in an underserved area"?

In the Activities and Community Service section, should we list hours that we anticipate to complete, like we did in AMCAS, or should we list hours we have completed up until today? Also, would it be OK to split hours between different categories? For example, I tutor English literacy in an underserved community. I have 200 hours for this activity. Can I put 100 hours of this activity under "Participating in mentoring and/or tutoring activities" and the other 100 hours under "Volunteered or worked in an underserved area"?

I think they mean up to today. For the 2nd part, I'm sure you could split it up, but I believe it says on the secondary somewhere if any overlap to just put them in one category. I would double check that though.

I think they mean up to today. For the 2nd part, I'm sure you could split it up, but I believe it says on the secondary somewhere if any overlap to just put them in one category. I would double check that though.
It just says not to double count hours. I split some of mine, based on how much time I thought qualified from a given activity.

I got the secondary materials and LOR's "received" email today. I hope to god I hear back before FEBRUARY, like it said in the email when they conclude reviews.

I was wondering why I hadn't received the "complete" email after submitting earlier this week and I just realized I forgot to assign my LORs to Wayne State on amcas.... Doh! :smack:

Hey guys, I just submitted my secondary tonight. I got an email saying that the fee has been paid and has given me a transaction receipt number. To those who are complete, did you have to include that number in your secondary app? According to last year's thread, you had too but I did not do that. I submitted my secondary before I paid.

Hey guys, I just submitted my secondary tonight. I got an email saying that the fee has been paid and has given me a transaction receipt number. To those who are complete, did you have to include that number in your secondary app? According to last year's thread, you had too but I did not do that. I submitted my secondary before I paid.
I didnt have to. I think as long as you used the same email address thats on AMCAS you should be fine.

Some people should be hearing back this week! :claps:

according to last years thread it took a few weeks but hey its a whole new cycle so who knows
They sweetened the pot because they got started so late...promised the first 50 complete apps a 1-wk turnaround! Of course, that doesn't mean it will be good news, but fingers crossed for everyone!

I figure that means they wanted to get a jump on reviews and get them going right away, without having to wait for applications to trickle in, but what do I know?

STILL waiting on their secondary....*sigh*

Anyone else?

edit: got my answer

Last edited:
Got the complete email saying they have everything including LoR

How long did that take if you don't mind me asking? Also, did a payment page show up for you? None did for me.

How long did that take if you don't mind me asking? Also, did a payment page show up for you? None did for me.
No I paid before i submitted there was a lonk in the application, you should be able to still see the app as a pdf if you log in. Also it took less then a day

No I paid before i submitted there was a lonk in the application, you should be able to still see the app as a pdf if you log in. Also it took less then a day
Thanks I completed forgot I had paid before I started my secondary! My brain is toast at this point

For those who are still waiting on secondaries, admissions office says they will be sending out more next week.

I just noticed these LOR requirements: "you may substitute letters from three faculty members who had you in class, including at least two letters from science faculty."

I have two letters from science professors, one from a research advisor, and one from a volunteer coordinator, so technically, my letters do not qualify as being from three faculty members who had me in class. Does anyone know how strict the LOR policy is? Most schools I've contacted allowed some flexibility in the letter requirement.

I just noticed these LOR requirements: "you may substitute letters from three faculty members who had you in class, including at least two letters from science faculty."

I have two letters from science professors, one from a research advisor, and one from a volunteer coordinator, so technically, my letters do not qualify as being from three faculty members who had me in class. Does anyone know how strict the LOR policy is? Most schools I've contacted allowed some flexibility in the letter requirement.
I don't have an answer to your question, I'm sorry, but I have a related question... I couldn't find the maximum amount of letters that Wayne allows, does anybody know the max? I just added Wayne to my primary last week and I haven't gotten the secondary yet.

I don't have an answer to your question, I'm sorry, but I have a related question... I couldn't find the maximum amount of letters that Wayne allows, does anybody know the max? I just added Wayne to my primary last week and I haven't gotten the secondary yet.
6 if i remember correctly

6 if i remember correctly

According to the MSAR, the maximum Wayne accepts is 10.

I have a question; how long did it take to get a secondary? I was verified on the 23rd of July? :shrug:

I have a question; how long did it take to get a secondary? I was verified on the 23rd of July? :shrug:
NOBODY got one until the end of July...mine was the 28th and I was an early batch, if I recall correctly...submitted June 02.

They were a bit behind this cycle, and they seem to send theirs out in waves. I wouldn't worry at this point. They've only had their secondary up and running for a bit over a week.

NOBODY got one until the end of July...mine was the 28th and I was an early batch, if I recall correctly...submitted June 02.

They were a bit behind this cycle, and they seem to send theirs out in waves. I wouldn't worry at this point. They've only had their secondary up and running for a bit over a week.

LOL I actually just got their secondary a minute ago :greedy:... any-who does anyone know if they screen heavily or give secondaries to everyone?

anyone else who submitted and paid still waiting on a complete email?

Just got my secondary!

anyone else who submitted and paid still waiting on a complete email?
I still am as well, submitted and paid 8/4. I called them yesterday just to check if everything is okay, they have my application, apparently LOR are only processed every Monday so I assume alot of people will be marked complete that day :)

I still am as well, submitted and paid 8/4. I called them yesterday just to check if everything is okay, they have my application, apparently LOR are only processed every Monday so I assume alot of people will be marked complete that day :)

thanks for calling them!

Received secondary from Wayne. MCAT 26 (9 PS,7verbal, 10BS), GPA 3.8. Application and experiences above average. I know that wayne does pre-screening, just not sure how much of a cut-off they base it off. Think I have a chance and should submit the secondary if they sent me one?

Received secondary from Wayne. MCAT 26 (9 PS,7verbal, 10BS), GPA 3.8. Application and experiences above average. I know that wayne does pre-screening, just not sure how much of a cut-off they base it off. Think I have a chance and should submit the secondary if they sent me one?
yes, the look over your primary before deciding whether to send you a secondary, people get rejected pre secondary so yes I would still submit if they sent you one.

ABSOLUTELY

WSUSOM prescreens heavily so if you got an invitation to submit a secondary then you are qualified. Now it only depends on your secondary and your (hopefully) interview.

Reactions: 1 users