2015-2016 University of Washington Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Any thoughts on submitting today vs next week? I was going to have a friend look at it.

Members don't see this ad.

Any thoughts on submitting today vs next week? I was going to have a friend look at it.
It depends on how comfortable you feel with what you have. I would say if your friend isn't able to read it today, then it's not worth it. But if you feel like your writing is shaky, quality > speed

Can we submit the secondary without having all of the LORs in?

Members don't see this ad :)
It depends on how comfortable you feel with what you have. I would say if your friend isn't able to read it today, then it's not worth it. But if you feel like your writing is shaky, quality > speed
I'm just wondering if they're even starting to look at applications yet. I.e., if they don't read applications fully at all until like later in july or august. I feel pretty good about what i have, but if there's time to spare, i'll have more people look at it.

I'm just wondering if they're even starting to look at applications yet. I.e., if they don't read applications fully at all until like later in july or august. I feel pretty good about what i have, but if there's time to spare, i'll have more people look at it.

The MSAR says something about UW allowing secondaries to be submitted at the earliest July 17th (or maybe just begin looking at secondaries then), but I havent confirmed this yet with anyone else.

This is a good point. But usually they will review applications in the order in which they were received, so it's still to your benefit to submit earlier. But again, quality >>> speed.

The MSAR says something about UW allowing secondaries to be submitted at the earliest July 17th (or maybe just begin looking at secondaries then), but I havent confirmed this yet with anyone else.

^and if this is true, then you just bought yourself some time :)
EDIT: not true. I know people who submitted last week.

Last edited:
Can we submit the secondary without having all of the LORs in?

yes you can. UW has check boxes for each category, so if your LORs aren't in yet, that category simply won't be checked yet. Your file is not complete until you have a check box for each category (i.e. essays, LOR, residency verification, etc).

yes you can. UW has check boxes for each category, so if your LORs aren't in yet, that category simply won't be checked yet. Your file is not complete until you have a check box for each category (i.e. essays, LOR, residency verification, etc).

And the residency verification is just derived from the State Questionnaire Form we complete online right? There isn't something separate we have to fill out for that?

Rejected today after submitting pre-secondary.
OOR (Midwest)
sGPA: 3.85
cGPA: 3.9
MCAT: 10/10/11
Boys & Girls Club Volunteer for 4 years (only experience with an underserved population)

Not too surprised! Apparently the OOR acceptance rate is 0.02%! Best of luck to all those still in the running :)

OOS here. Anyone mind reading my mission statement?

I am so confused with secondaries, maybe @BABSstudent you can shed some light?

1. Do they not review you secondary/offer interview until after EVERYTHING is checked off (ie. residency status, etc)
2. How do I get that letter of references check? I already have my letters chosen on AMCAS...verified back in June 28th. Why do they not have them yet?

Just looking to when I can hope for interviews...

1. My understanding is yes, everything needs to be checked off before an II -- but I am OOR so not sure about residency status.

2. A few days ago, when I submitted my secondary, I saw the same last page saying they didn't have my AMCAS verification stuff: LORs, MCAT, etc., although my AMCAS had been verified in late June. So first I called AMCAS and was told everything was definitely sent to my listed schools a few days after I'd been verified. She said to think of it as an e-mail where it's now just up to the receiver to "open the e-mail" (the woman on the phone seemed irked at my confusion, lol).

So then I e-mailed UWash and they said that they definitely have my MCAT scores; that unchecked box is a known technical error. The LORs aren't automatically added to the app and they're currently working on adding them to applicants's files. Once processed on their end, those checkmarks will be present. I have to say that the response was super nice and blazingly prompt (aaahhhhh I want to get in so badly!).

In short, they have everything they need for now. If your AMCAS was processed, I probably wouldn't worry about it.

Hope this helped :)

Thanks! I'm worried about the letters since I chose them AFTER being verified. How long was it until you got a reply from UW? I was thinking of calling maybe or passing by the office.

hmmm.

Members don't see this ad :)
I got a response like literally 5 minutes after sending my e-mail, lol. I was amazed!

I don't think I'd worry about the letters as long as you got confirmation e-mails from AMCAS concerning receipt. However, I wouldn't hesitate contacting them as the person I corresponded w/ was super friendly and helpful.
Who did you contact? Or was it just the generic admissions email?

I got a response like literally 5 minutes after sending my e-mail, lol. I was amazed!

I don't think I'd worry about the letters as long as you got confirmation e-mails from AMCAS concerning receipt. However, I wouldn't hesitate contacting them as the person I corresponded w/ was super friendly and helpful.
They took a little longer than five minutes for me....hmmm hoping this does not reflect my admissions process :(

Woohoo!! Just got the secondary from UW!

Essays (looks like one addition from last years):

Autobiographical Statement Addendum
You must submit a brief autobiographical statement. It should describe the origin and development of your motivation to be a physician, your prior experiences in healthcare, steps taken to explore a career in medicine, your eventual goals as a physician, and other issues of importance. The Personal Comments section of the AMCAS application may be used to satisfy this requirement, or an additional autobiography may be submitted with your supplemental materials. Your AMCAS personal statement will already be on file with our office.

How do your experiences match the mission and values of the University of Washington School of Medicine?

How have your experiences prepared you to be a physician?

What perspectives or experiences do you bring that would enrich the class?

What obstacles have you experienced and how have you overcome them?

Are each of these essays limited to 250 words this year?

Any MSTP applicants here?? Submitted my preliminary MSTP app a few days ago after already receiving a rejection for being OOS for the MD-only program

And the residency verification is just derived from the State Questionnaire Form we complete online right? There isn't something separate we have to fill out for that?

no you don't have to fill out anything just yet. If they question your residency or want proof (I have lived in WA for the past 9 years yet I still had to prove my residency. They selected some, not all, washingtonians, for the residency verification - im not sure about AK, ID, WY, or MT), they will send you specific instructions via email. The verification can be lengthy, they require pay stubs, voters' card, insurance, etc. I'd start gathering documents if you have time now, just in case...

This is the information i received last year when they required me to do verification:

Please contact your state residence certification office listed below for verification of your legal state of residence. Certification from a previous application year is not considered valid.

WASHINGTON
** Washington state applicants need to specify they are applying to medical school.**

Residence Classification Office
University of Washington
264 Schmitz Hall, Box 355850
Seattle, WA 98195-5850
http://www.washington.edu/students/reg/residency/medicalStudents.html

ALASKA (907) 786-4789

Alaska WWAMI Eligibility Verification
University of Alaska, Anchorage
3211 Providence Dr, ENGR 331
Anchorage, AK 99508
[email protected]
http://www.uaa.alaska.edu/wwami/apply/akwwamieligibility.cfm

MONTANA (406) 444-0322

Laurie Tobol
State Certifying Officer
Office of the Commissioner of Higher Education
2500 Broadway
P.O. Box 203201
Helena, MT 59620-3201
[email protected]
http://www.montana.edu/wwwwami/application_procedures.html

IDAHO (208) 885-2029

Chris Menter
University of Idaho
Registrar's Office
875 Perimeter Dr MS 4260
Moscow, ID 83844-4260
[email protected]
http://www.uidaho.edu/registrar/registration/residency

WYOMING (307) 766-6704

Lisa Shipley
Manager, Student Affairs
College of Health Sciences
University of Wyoming
Dept. 3432, 1000 East University Avenue
Laramie, WY 82071-3432
[email protected]
http://www.uwyo.edu/hs/wiche-wwami-wydent-program/index.html

Sorry for the late response and good luck!

Reactions: 1 user
Submitted my mission statement on July 10th. I have not heard anything back, neither a rejection nor a secondary invitation. I wonder how many of us are still in the same situation.

Reactions: 3 users
Submitted my mission statement on July 10th. I have not heard anything back, neither a rejection nor a secondary invitation. I wonder how many of us are still in the same situation.
OOS here, same boat

Rejected yesterday OOS LizzyM ~79, probably about right since I don't have nearly as much underserved volunteering experience as most of you guys seem to. Best of luck going forward everyone! Wishing you luck :D

GAH secondary received after mission statement submitted 7/8.

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 users
Rejected today after submitting pre-secondary.
OOR (Midwest)
sGPA: 3.85
cGPA: 3.9
MCAT: 10/10/11
Boys & Girls Club Volunteer for 4 years (only experience with an underserved population)

Not too surprised! Apparently the OOR acceptance rate is 0.02%! Best of luck to all those still in the running :)
n

wow

Has UWSOM received anyone's letters? I submitted my app on 7/7 with AMCAS having my letters on 06/09.

Has UWSOM received anyone's letters? I submitted my app on 7/7 with AMCAS having my letters on 06/09.
As previously mentioned in this thread, UW doesn't download letters until they are ready to review your application. So if everything is checked except for letters, consider yourself complete. When you see that letters are checked, it means they are currently reviewing your file.

Reactions: 2 users
As previously mentioned in this thread, UW doesn't download letters until they are ready to review your application. So if everything is checked except for letters, consider yourself complete. When you see that letters are checked, it means they are currently reviewing your file.
OMG good to know! I feel bad about badgering them about letters now! How did I miss that post?! Gah!

Well, I am awaiting Residency verification (pain in the behind!!...went to their office TWICE...and my job is really making this difficult. One of the people in the office told me the delay is 6 weeks or so because undergrad verifications are happening right now as well...grrr) and for Letters of Recommendation so that Application Complete becomes a check as well...sigh.

Verified 6/29. Secondary send 7/21 (30 min. ago!) Crossed fingers!

OOS Applicant, submitted secondary on 7/14, letters have been downloaded! Hoping this means i'm under review.

Reactions: 1 users
I took classes on a quarter system. Do I have to manually type them in?

Got my rejection today, after pre-secondary submission on Friday.
Lizzy M ~68. Hundreds of hours in underserved volunteering, most domestic and international.
Pretty bummed.
Same. 4 international service trips, independent study + senior capstone, social justice minor and close to 1000 hours of community service and a big fat rejection lol

^ I don't understand how it doesnt fit the mission. Of course, other than ties to the state. Win some and lose some, I suppose.

OMG good to know! I feel bad about badgering them about letters now! How did I miss that post?! Gah!

Well, I am awaiting Residency verification (pain in the behind!!...went to their office TWICE...and my job is really making this difficult. One of the people in the office told me the delay is 6 weeks or so because undergrad verifications are happening right now as well...grrr) and for Letters of Recommendation so that Application Complete becomes a check as well...sigh.

Verified 6/29. Secondary send 7/21 (30 min. ago!) Crossed fingers!

last year it took them about 5 weeks to do my verification too, which was very annoying since it delayed the review of my app...not sure if it helped but maybe you can check in with them every so often to see where the residency office is at in the processing of paperwork. Nevertheless, i interviewed around the third week of November and was accepted in mid-December so don't worry too much! Its still fairly early in the cycle :)

Submitted! God bless this school and their $35 app fee.

wow, they seem to be really WWAMI favoring. Should I even apply as a CA resident?

last year it took them about 5 weeks to do my verification too, which was very annoying since it delayed the review of my app...not sure if it helped but maybe you can check in with them every so often to see where the residency office is at in the processing of paperwork. Nevertheless, i interviewed around the third week of November and was accepted in mid-December so don't worry too much! Its still fairly early in the cycle :)
Thanks for the comforting words @royfan ! I'm just worried because I am not a very competitive candidate and this is my #1 choice of school! ::crossing fingers::

wow, they seem to be really WWAMI favoring. Should I even apply as a CA resident?
I'm a CA resident technically, but I spent the first 17 years of my life in Washington. If I didn't have a DARN good reason why I could picture myself in the WWAMI region AND a ton of underserved experience, I probably wouldn't waste my money. Then again, it's only $35 through MSAR for the chance at a secondary (also only $35), so if you're ballin, why not?

OOS Got rejected a few days ago. Sorry about the late post!

I got an email today confirming my WA residency! My entire life living in WA meant nothing to me until this moment! ;)

Reactions: 3 users
Finally submitted my secondary!! Took me so long to make sure there were no grammatical errors or anything like that in my essays.. still not quite sure but decided to say eff it and not look at them until i do or don't get an II...
By the way.. you can submit without all of your LORs being submitted correct? I am still waiting on one letter to be submitted but the LOR section of UWs app is checked as complete.. will they get this letter when it is finally submitted?

Also.. can someone reassure me that it is still early in the app cycle? I have spent so much time working on this secondary that I have neglected my other ones and now im feeling a little worried..

Finally submitted my secondary!! Took me so long to make sure there were no grammatical errors or anything like that in my essays.. still not quite sure but decided to say eff it and not look at them until i do or don't get an II...
By the way.. you can submit without all of your LORs being submitted correct? I am still waiting on one letter to be submitted but the LOR section of UWs app is checked as complete.. will they get this letter when it is finally submitted?

Also.. can someone reassure me that it is still early in the app cycle? I have spent so much time working on this secondary that I have neglected my other ones and now im feeling a little worried..
Yes it's still early don't worry. It doesn't seem early because SDN people tend to be neurotic overachievers, but I'm sure average applicants are way behind all of us :)

That being said, try and send secondaries back in under 2 weeks after receiving an invite to fill them out. Keyword is try.