2015-2016 University of Washington Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
They screen EVERYONE. IS and OOR,but for IS the screen scores are VERY low (like 24 MCAT and 2.5 wGPA). If you pass that screen, you automatically get secondaries. If you do not, then you should talk to admissions to reconsider you file due to XX reasons (I am assuming you do this after they let you know you didn't pass the screening?). For OOR, the screen numbers are higher, and from my understanding, before you get a secondary, they will skim your application to make sure you show UR/rural/primary focus. That's info I've gathered from several UW focus groups and conferences.

Yep this is exactly what the admissions folks said when I talked to them. They did say that rather than have specific numeric cutoffs for the MCAT and GPA, they have some formula that balances them (so a higher MCAT but lower GPA could even out, potentially) but wouldn't get into how that worked. They said it was on the admissions website but the explanation on there still wasn't particularly clear.

Members don't see this ad.

Yep this is exactly what the admissions folks said when I talked to them. They did say that rather than have specific numeric cutoffs for the MCAT and GPA, they have some formula that balances them (so a higher MCAT but lower GPA could even out, potentially) but wouldn't get into how that worked. They said it was on the admissions website but the explanation on there still wasn't particularly clear.

Found this on their website. I find it straight forward, maybe they've updated it?

The undergraduate GPA is weighted to give credit to applicants whose records show improvement as they progress through their undergraduate studies. Only the first three years are included in this calculation as most applicants have just begun their senior year. The weighted GPA is calculated on a standard 4-point scale with 4.00 representing an "A" average.
CUM. Freshman GPA x 1 = A
CUM. Sophomore GPA x 2 = B
CUM. Junior GPA x 3 = C

(A+B+C)/6 = Weighted GPA

An initial automated screening is done of all applications. The WGPA is added to the mean MCAT score converted to a 4.0 scale so that the maximal "Combined score" =8. If this combined score is less than 5, the application is automatically screened out. If your application falls into this category, but you have subsequently taken additional coursework and have a stronger subsequent GPA, you may be eligible for reconsideration. Please contact our office for more information.

Has anyone received secondaries yet??

Members don't see this ad :)
An MSTP applicant here. I got an e-mail less than an hour ago saying I am no longer being considered for the MD program because I don't live in WWAMI.

Found this on their website. I find it straight forward, maybe they've updated it?

The undergraduate GPA is weighted to give credit to applicants whose records show improvement as they progress through their undergraduate studies. Only the first three years are included in this calculation as most applicants have just begun their senior year. The weighted GPA is calculated on a standard 4-point scale with 4.00 representing an "A" average.
CUM. Freshman GPA x 1 = A
CUM. Sophomore GPA x 2 = B
CUM. Junior GPA x 3 = C

(A+B+C)/6 = Weighted GPA

An initial automated screening is done of all applications. The WGPA is added to the mean MCAT score converted to a 4.0 scale so that the maximal "Combined score" =8. If this combined score is less than 5, the application is automatically screened out. If your application falls into this category, but you have subsequently taken additional coursework and have a stronger subsequent GPA, you may be eligible for reconsideration. Please contact our office for more information.

Definitely updated from last year, that makes infinitely more sense than the last time I tried to calculate it!

Reactions: 1 user
An MSTP applicant here. I got an e-mail less than an hour ago saying I am no longer being considered for the MD program because I don't live in WWAMI.

Whoa...really? Did you contact admissions?

No I didn't really have an interest in the MD program anyways. Waiting for the MSTP application portal to open tomorrow!

ahhhh I see. Long as you're still in the run for MSTP...interesting that they pull you off MD but keep you in MSTP o_O Good luck! XD

Has anyone else had trouble logging into the MSTP application portal? So far I haven't had trouble logging into any other secondary. Is there a prerequisite email maybe?

Has anyone else had trouble logging into the MSTP application portal? So far I haven't had trouble logging into any other secondary. Is there a prerequisite email maybe?

I have no trouble logging in at the moment.

im just gonna post this here straight from the school's FAQ: Yes. Washington applicants have a 15% chance of being accepted (same for Spokane and Seattle). Wyoming residents have a 34% chance of being accepted. Alaska residents have a 22% chance of being accepted. Montana residents have a 32% chance of being accepted. Idaho residents have a 19% chance of being accepted. Applicants whose state of residence is outside of the WWAMI region have a 0.42% chance of being accepted. emphasis on the bold. withdrawing my app cause thats a waste of effort

Yep. Going off on what you said, they say only the ones from the disadvantaged background are considered. I did not have SES designation, but did warrant writing a disadvantaged status essay (federal aid, being an immigrant, etc.). No chance. On the second day of AMCAS being available to them they said I am not considered because I am not a WWAMI resident. I was an MSTP applicant to begin with but was a little shocked that they would send the rejection letter for MD so early lol.

Last edited:
Yep. Going off on what you said, they say only the ones from the disadvantaged background are considered. I did not have SES designation, but did warrant writing a disadvantaged status essay (federal aid, being an immigrant, etc.). No chance. On the second day of AMCAS being available to them they said I am not considered because I am not a WWAMI resident. I was an MSTP applicant to begin with but was a little shocked that they would send the rejection letter for MD so early lol.
The people that are OOR in my class are not all SES designation. There are a few, but others have some amazing life experiences or had ECs that demonstrate their significant commitment to underserved medicine. Basically, match the mission statement to the school or save yourself time and money by not applying. I would say the <1% acceptance rate is super low because a lot of OOR applicants apply because it is a top 10 school but don't match the mission. But still, it isn't like that number magically jumps up to match the IS numbers if you do match everything the school wants. However, it's a similar rate to what other medical schools have.

What is the average acceptance rate for OOS students? It depends on the school. For New York medical schools (because it was the first return I got with a site I would trust) the average is 1.8% acceptance rate for OOS applicants. The lowest is a 0.6% acceptance rate for OOS students and the highest is 2.8%.

Source: http://www.plattsburgh.edu/academics/prehealthadvising/medschoolacceptance.php

And here is the source of their information, but you have to play with the numbers a bit to get what you are asking for. But it's the original data from the AAMC. https://www.aamc.org/download/321442/data/factstable1.pdf

Members don't see this ad :)
I have no trouble logging in at the moment.
Alright, I guess I know now that I wasn't overreacting by sending the office an email about it. Fingers crossed I'm able to access the app on Monday! Thanks for the info.

Also keep in mind the wGPA is just for screening purposes, and even if you get screen you can request you app be viewed, and they will manually push it past the screen. The school is all about the holistic applicant, and if you look at the GPA/MCAT application vs matriculation matrix, you will see you have a pretty even chase across a wide range of GPA/MCAT scores.

Have any MD applicants gotten secondaries yeT?

For this question, I didn't spend as much time on "steps I'm taking" because it's elsewhere in my application. Thoughts? I realize this is also an optional essay, so I think I might be okay? I talked mostly about motivation.

1. An autobiographical statement which should include(250 word limit)

o the origin and development of your motivation to be a physician

o your prior experiences in health care

o steps taken to explore a career in medicine

o your eventual goals as a physician

o and other issues of importance

Does anyone know when UW usually sends out secondaries?

i got my secondary just mins ago around 3:40pm. they said in the email that they screened their applicants. so i passed their screening :) gonna look at the prompt right now!!!

i got my secondary just mins ago around 3:40pm. they said in the email that they screened their applicants. so i passed their screening :) gonna look at the prompt right now!!!

Me too! I'm having trouble logging in though, as they didn't provide me with a password in their email. I filled out the "Forgot password" form, but haven't received anything yet. Are you having a similar experience?

Just got my secondary at 3:42pm they said: "We have received your primary application from AMCAS, and have completed a preliminary review..."!!! :)

Me too! I'm having trouble logging in though, as they didn't provide me with a password in their email. I filled out the "Forgot password" form, but haven't received anything yet. Are you having a similar experience?
me too i cant log in either...maybe we should give them some time to fix it

Same experience, here.

Also, they said they wanted me to fill out a mission statement, as opposed to a secondary application.
I'm OOS and I was wondering if I got half-screened?

It's a lovely school, I'm pretty eager to continue with the application process.

EDIT: I called, they know it's a problem, the password should work in just a few hours. Hang tight, everyone.

Reactions: 4 users
Same experience, here.

Also, they said they wanted me to fill out a mission statement, as opposed to a secondary application.

It's a lovely school, I'm pretty eager to continue with the application process.

I'm also OOS and received the "mission statement request". So is this definitely not the secondary? And more like a pre-secondary... maybe?

Same experience, here.

EDIT: I called, they know it's a problem, the password should work in just a few hours. Hang tight, everyone.

+1 on all of this

6 Semester hours meaning two, 3 credit courses.

Hey can you guys tell us this year's secondary essay prompts? i would really appreciate it! thanks!

I'm an OOS student and received a secondary today. Does getting a secondary here mean anything or say anything about my chances? I'm URM/disadvantaged. Was wondering if they just send secondaries to everyone or what.
They definitely do not send secondaries to everyone, especially OOS students. So you can be happy :)

Same experience, here.

+1, got this too. Will this be in addition to the actual secondary questions like those I've seen in previous years? Either way, this makes me more hopeful!

@rlarudtjs332, I was verified 6/4.

I called. Not a secondary. It is between the primary and secondary. Extra step for OOS applicants.

Got the mission statement request today and cannot login either! I will try again later on. :)

For this question, I didn't spend as much time on "steps I'm taking" because it's elsewhere in my application. Thoughts? I realize this is also an optional essay, so I think I might be okay? I talked mostly about motivation.

1. An autobiographical statement which should include(250 word limit)

o the origin and development of your motivation to be a physician

o your prior experiences in health care

o steps taken to explore a career in medicine

o your eventual goals as a physician

o and other issues of importance

So is this the secondary question or the "Pre-secondary" question for OOS applicants? Any OOS get an actual secondary or does everyone have to do the mission statement thing?

So is this the secondary question or the "Pre-secondary" question for OOS applicants? Any OOS get an actual secondary or does everyone have to do the mission statement thing?

This is part of secondaries for IS and I assume OOR after the whole mission statement in between.

I called. Not a secondary. It is between the primary and secondary. Extra step for OOS applicants.

You are so awesome for calling! So we have still be screened through or do ALL OOS applicants have to do this?

Check their website, they use a very generous screen using the weighted GPA

Edit for the lazy
ImageUploadedBySDN Mobile1436233370.081786.jpg

Woohoo!! Just got the secondary from UW!

Essays (looks like one addition from last years):

Autobiographical Statement Addendum
You must submit a brief autobiographical statement. It should describe the origin and development of your motivation to be a physician, your prior experiences in healthcare, steps taken to explore a career in medicine, your eventual goals as a physician, and other issues of importance. The Personal Comments section of the AMCAS application may be used to satisfy this requirement, or an additional autobiography may be submitted with your supplemental materials. Your AMCAS personal statement will already be on file with our office.

How do your experiences match the mission and values of the University of Washington School of Medicine?

How have your experiences prepared you to be a physician?

What perspectives or experiences do you bring that would enrich the class?

What obstacles have you experienced and how have you overcome them?

I'm just curious and not being critical, for those OOS people, what went into the decision to apply to a school with such a crazy low OOS acceptance rate (0.3%)? Trying to figure out if I'm going to add another school or two to my list

im just gonna post this here straight from the school's FAQ: Yes. Washington applicants have a 15% chance of being accepted (same for Spokane and Seattle). Wyoming residents have a 34% chance of being accepted. Alaska residents have a 22% chance of being accepted. Montana residents have a 32% chance of being accepted. Idaho residents have a 19% chance of being accepted. Applicants whose state of residence is outside of the WWAMI region have a 0.42% chance of being accepted. emphasis on the bold. withdrawing my app cause thats a waste of effort

I am a bit confused by the OOR statistics. On the MSAR it says that 119 OOR students matriculate (out of 5246 OOR applicants), which means that at least ~2.3% of OOR applicants are accepted.

EDIT: never mind. I thought that their in-state statistics also applied to WY, AK, MT, ID

I can get in now! I had to reset my password though. I'm out of state and have to do the mission statement first.

I am a bit confused by the OOR statistics. On the MSAR it says that 119 OOR students matriculate (out of 5246 OOR applicants), which means that at least ~2.3% of OOR applicants are accepted.

EDIT: never mind. I thought that their in-state statistics also applied to WY, AK, MT, ID

Yeah the msar isn't exactly clear and doesn't add up to the stats the school itself publishes. I believe WWAMI counts all those as instate for the msar, even with that little blurb.

But my stat is from the dean of admissions, so I dunno?
From a info session they did

http://www.uwmedicine.org/education/documents/md-program/UWSOM-AdmissionsProcess.pdf

Got my secondary!! at 6:45 pm but the email was sent at 3:43pm oy!

I was able to log in, but soon as I click on links to navigate...i get kicked out :'( anyone else with the issue?

OOR and got into the mission statement page. Had to reset password as well.

I'm having the same issue. Anyone resolve this yet?