2015-2016 University of Washington Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Password reset worked for me also. What would we do without SDN? Good luck everyone!

Received earlier this evening.
IS applicant. And so it begins....

I've never received love from this school... ever...
Rejected for undergrad, rejected as a transfer student, rejected for grad school, rejected for med school pre-interview (applied 4 years ago :( ), rejected from every job I applied to including associated organizations.

It's odd because objectively, I'm an accomplished individual with excellent credentials, and I have positive testimonies from dozens of professionals.

Needless to say I am NOT optimistic about receiving an acceptance, let alone even an interview. I still try because it's a great school, and I've been wanting to go here since I graduated high school haha!!! Fingers xx

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
ahhhh these secondaries!! +pissed+

Also, the reset password worked for me. Now I can navigate just fine :)

EDIT: For those trying to pay ahead (to make sure all you have to do is submit at the end), if you get an error message and no confirmation...DO NOT REPAY! 5-10 min later I received a total of two processed payments....both times I tried I got the error message and no confirmation from the site ....sigh

Reactions: 1 user
ahhhh these secondaries!! +pissed+

Also, the reset password worked for me. Now I can navigate just fine :)

EDIT: For those trying to pay ahead (to make sure all you have to do is submit at the end), if you get an error message and no confirmation...DO NOT REPAY! 5-10 min later I received a total of two processed payments....both times I tried I got the error message and no confirmation from the site ....sigh

The application fee tab is featured as incomplete after i paid and received confirmation.. I am assuming it just has to process?

Can someone clarify something for me.

I'm an OOS applicant and received a 'Mission Statement' request from UW that asks me 'how my experiences match the mission and values of UWSOM'. Is this a pre-screen before they send me the secondary, or is this the actual secondary for OOS applicants?

Can someone clarify something for me.

I'm an OOS applicant and received a 'Mission Statement' request from UW that asks me 'how my experiences match the mission and values of UWSOM'. Is this a pre-screen before they send me the secondary, or is this the actual secondary for OOS applicants?
I also received the same thing.

From the website, see the red;

Also I can't find it now, but that question is a pre-secondary, pre-screening, OOR only thing

To be considered for the University of Washington M.D. program, applicants must have United States citizenship or permanent residency. Applicants with DACA status who reside in a WWAMI (Washington, Wyoming, Alaska, Montana, Idaho) state and who are legally authorized and recognized by their respective state's residency office as a state resident for WWAMI educational purposes will be considered. Applicants must meet the essential requirements and technical standards and complete the premedical course requirements. Applications from persons who have failed to meet minimum standards at this or another medical (M.D. or D.O.) or dental school will not be considered.

Typically more than 95 percent of UW School of Medicine acceptances are applicants from Washington, Wyoming, Alaska, Montana or Idaho (WWAMI).

Non-WWAMI Applicants: Applicants from outside the WWAMI region who come from either economically or educationally disadvantaged backgrounds and/or who have demonstrated a commitment to serving underserved populations will be considered.

I'm also OOS and am still having trouble logging in to complete the mission statement :(

Anyone else still having this issue, or who has already resolved it??

Thanks!

Woohoo!! Just got the secondary from UW!

Essays (looks like one addition from last years):

Autobiographical Statement Addendum
You must submit a brief autobiographical statement. It should describe the origin and development of your motivation to be a physician, your prior experiences in healthcare, steps taken to explore a career in medicine, your eventual goals as a physician, and other issues of importance. The Personal Comments section of the AMCAS application may be used to satisfy this requirement, or an additional autobiography may be submitted with your supplemental materials. Your AMCAS personal statement will already be on file with our office.

How do your experiences match the mission and values of the University of Washington School of Medicine?

How have your experiences prepared you to be a physician?

What perspectives or experiences do you bring that would enrich the class?

What obstacles have you experienced and how have you overcome them?
So this in interesting. Us ISers are asked to complete this new "how do you fit our mission?" question?

Also, do we have the same 250 word limit?

Members don't see this ad :)
So this in interesting. Us ISers are asked to complete this new "how do you fit our mission?" question?

Also, do we have the same 250 word limit?

I assume everyone has the same prompt, not just IS. But yeah, 250 words.

The application fee tab is featured as incomplete after i paid and received confirmation.. I am assuming it just has to process?
YEs! Mine just appeared as processed today.

Woohoo!! Just got the secondary from UW!

Essays (looks like one addition from last years):

You must submit a brief autobiographical statement. It should describe the origin and development of your motivation to be a physician, your prior experiences in healthcare, steps taken to explore a career in medicine, your eventual goals as a physician, and other issues of importance. The Personal Comments section of the AMCAS application may be used to satisfy this requirement, or an additional autobiography may be submitted with your supplemental materials. Your AMCAS personal statement will already be on file with our office.

How do your experiences match the mission and values of the University of Washington School of Medicine?

Sigh. I feel like I'm just going to be repeating myself for the new essay. I already talked about my interest in underserved communities like in five other places in my application >.<

Hi everyone,

Is it okay to submit the application if the payment doesn't appear as processed? (I just paid and my app is ready to go)

Also, the status page shows my letters of reference as incomplete even though AMCAS received them in mid-June. Is this anything to worry about?

Thank you!

"Please use this space to supplement your AMCAS Personal Comments. (MSTP will consider information provided here as well as your AMCAS Personal Comments)" ---Anyone else think this is incredibly vague? I'm sort of at a loss for what to even write here. So far I have the reasons I'm interested in UW MSTP.

Secondary received: 7/6 around 6 PM.

SOOOOO...... I don't think the autobiographical statement had a 250 word limit last year- did it? Completely freaking out, pre-wrote an 800 word statement that is now (apparently) useless.

I think I'm going to call their office tomorrow and check in case this is another system error >.<

GOOD LUCK EVERYBODY!!!!! :highfive:

Secondary received: 7/6 around 6 PM.

SOOOOO...... I don't think the autobiographical statement had a 250 word limit last year- did it? Completely freaking out, pre-wrote an 800 word statement that is now (apparently) useless.

I think I'm going to call their office tomorrow and check in case this is another system error >.<

GOOD LUCK EVERYBODY!!!!! :highfive:

Definitely only 250 words, and Im fairly certain thats how it was last year.
Good luck @ellidn and everyone else

Reactions: 1 users
I'm a washington resident and my primary was processed on 7/4... and i still haven't gotten my secondary... should i be worried?

You cant send in the secondary until the 15th right??

You cant send in the secondary until the 15th right??

I submitted 7/8 and received email that my file is complete and ready for review 7/9 - so I think the answer is you can send it in. Where did you get that info from?

Perhaps they do not start reviewing it until the 15th?

The language describing the the autobiographical statement addendum is slightly confusing. Is it saying that our personal statement (personal comments) will work for this or what? Maybe it just wants an additional 250 words. Could someone please clarify exactly what it is talking about. Thank you

It's saying of

The language describing the the autobiographical statement addendum is slightly confusing. Is it saying that our personal statement (personal comments) will work for this or what? Maybe it just wants an additional 250 words. Could someone please clarify exactly what it is talking about. Thank you

It means you must answer the question, but if you feel that your amcas statement answers it already, they can just refer to that.

I submitted 7/8 and received email that my file is complete and ready for review 7/9 - so I think the answer is you can send it in. Where did you get that info from?

MSAR

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2015-07-09 at 8.22.41 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2015-07-09 at 8.22.41 PM.png
    106.4 KB · Views: 88
I'm OOS and haven't gotten the secondary or the mission statement thing that other OOSers seem to be getting... anyone else in the same boat? Can't tell if it's a good thing or a bad thing that I don't have this little "pre-secondary" or whatever it is.

Additionally.. on average how long is each of everyone's essays. Max 250 words.. how much are you all actually writing?

Is succinctness better than trying to explain something with specifics in that short of space?

Under the application status bar it says my MCAT scores are incomplete? I took the MCAT over a year ago and it is on my primary app and I was verified by AMCAS 6/10. Anyone else see this?

Under the application status bar it says my MCAT scores are incomplete? I took the MCAT over a year ago and it is on my primary app and I was verified by AMCAS 6/10. Anyone else see this?
Apparently there's a technical problem, they have the scores but the website says they don't. Maybe call and check? Or wait. But there's really no reason they wouldn't have it if they have the rest of your app.

This place is doing it wrong. I got rejected for being out of region after submitting my mission statement in spite of having direct ties because of wanting to practice medicine for my tribe (which is 100% in-region), and being a disadvantaged applicant.

I really don't get it.
To be fair, you can't really say they are doing it wrong without listing your GPA, MCAT or really looking at your application.

Haven't been rejected post submission of my presecondary, yet. Hoping for a secondary :)

Regarding above posts, UW is big on inclusitivity, so speaking about aiding just your tribe, as that's how it seems you put it, goes against their mission.

Just my two cents.

This place is doing it wrong. I got rejected for being out of region after submitting my mission statement in spite of having direct ties because of wanting to practice medicine for my tribe (which is 100% in-region), and being a disadvantaged applicant.

I really don't get it.

Also if you listen to their webinars, almost no OOS get invites. BUT if you think you have a valid reason, you can also call them, and they say they are open to hearing your case and sometimes send secondaries after

I called them on the phone and it's doing this to everyone, apparently there's a glitch. They confirmed they have mine, so maybe give them a call so u have peace of mind

After my submission of the mission statement.
I'm so sorry @overanxiety93 :( i can't imagine applying OOS..... just remember UW is weird about OOS, so this probably has no bearing on u as an applicant! also they are very friendly so don't hesitate to call them and ask for feedback (maybe you could use that for future secondaries?)

After my submission of the mission statement.

I'm sorry to hear that and thank you for answering. I'm sure you'll get into a great school this cycle. Good luck on the rest of the application cycle. I'm rooting for you!

OOS applicant here. Got the invitation to fill out the secondary on Friday after submitting my mission statement

Reactions: 3 users

I really don't get it.

Because they take 5% of OOS for interviews and have .3% matriculate rate I don't think you can fairly say they are "doing it wrong" because you weren't selected. N=1

Last edited:
@wanderyonder, I'm in the same boat. You got the message that they're reviewing your app to determine whether to send a secondary, right? So much anxiety! :nailbiting: I wasn't verified until this past Friday, so not holding my breath.

Got my rejection today, after pre-secondary submission on Friday.
Lizzy M ~68. Hundreds of hours in underserved volunteering, most domestic and international.
Pretty bummed.

Last edited:
@wanderyonder, I'm in the same boat. You got the message that they're reviewing your app to determine whether to send a secondary, right? So much anxiety! :nailbiting: I wasn't verified until this past Friday, so not holding my breath.
Yeah, I did get that email. Okay, well I'm hoping it's a good thing because I haven't been rejected... yet. LOL.

OOS. Just got invited to fill out a secondary after submitting my mission statement. Beyond excited.

Reactions: 5 users