2015-2016 University of California - San Francisco Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
@differentiating: when does each day for the orientation end? Considering going one or two days of Outside Lands which is that last weekend... Aug 5-7 :rolleyes:

Members don't see this ad.

@differentiating: when does each day for the orientation end? Considering going one or two days of Outside Lands which is that last weekend... Aug 5-7 :rolleyes:

I don't think you'll get your orientation schedule until a month or so before it happens (if then - I honestly don't remember when we got ours, but UCSF is known for waiting until the last minute when it comes to scheduling). We had only 3 days of orientation, which ended between 4 or 5 each day, but obviously it'll be different for this class. I'd plan on being at UCSF (either Parnassus or Mission Bay) from 8-5 each day of orientation to be safe.

I'd definitely try to call in and check before buying tickets, since I don't think you're allowed to skip any of orientation. That being said, I never tried to, so I don't know if there's a make-up system in place or anything. :shrug:

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
IF YOU'VE BEEN ACCEPTED, PLEASE COME TO ACCEPTED STUDENTS WEEKEND (April 22nd-24th)!!! We are going to have such a blast with you all. Us first years are super excited to host you and show you around the school/city that we all love so dearly.

Reactions: 4 users
IF YOU'VE BEEN ACCEPTED, PLEASE COME TO ACCEPTED STUDENTS WEEKEND (April 22nd-24th)!!! We are going to have such a blast with you all. Us first years are super excited to host you and show you around the school/city that we all love so dearly.
are you a current student?

Ac
I didn't see your first post- just kidding; you're a first year- yes?

Anyone know how long it takes the financial aid office to give you estimates?

Reactions: 1 users
So stoked! Is it cool if I can only make it to part of ASW? Will I miss out on finding roommates or housing?

I don't think most people found housing until later in the summer (current MS1s make a spreadsheet on the Facebook page so people can coordinate finding housing), though I'm sure there are people who found roommates at ASW, so I don't think you'll miss out on that. And I know there were a decent number of people who came late Friday/left early Sunday last year, but since Saturday's the main day, they got to experience the bulk of it at least.

Has anyone gotten their Financial Aid packages yet?? I was wondering what the "Medicine Grant" is!

I just received my financial aid package and it was a lot less than what I was expecting. Anyone else feel the same?

I would also like to know what the "Medicine Grant" is, if anyone has any information on that.

Has anyone gotten their Financial Aid packages yet?? I was wondering what the "Medicine Grant" is!

Assuming you're talking about the $6500/year grant - my understanding is that this is a default grant given to all UCSF students, to lessen the amount of loans you'll have to take out.

I just received my financial aid package and it was a lot less than what I was expecting. Anyone else feel the same?
I've heard the same from UCSF applicants/students. It's an amazing school, but financially (in terms of aid, that is, not research grants), it is still a state school, inextricably tied to the finances of the UC system.

Members don't see this ad :)
I believe the "University Grant--Medicine" is just the calculated amount of grant money the financial aid office awards based off your financial need.

I'm pretty happy with my financial aid package as I'm taking out half the loans that I would've at the other school I was accepted to. Public school wooo

I've heard the same from UCSF applicants/students. It's an amazing school, but financially (in terms of aid, that is, not research grants), it is still a state school, inextricably tied to the finances of the UC system.

I understand it's a state school, but they claim to have only an average indebtedness of ~$110,000. This seems really low to me, especially after seeing my package, unless a lot of people have the assets to pay a lot of their loans while in school.

I understand it's a state school, but they claim to have only an average indebtedness of ~$110,000. This seems really low to me, especially after seeing my package, unless a lot of people have the assets to pay a lot of their loans while in school.

I'm not sure about that figure as well. I wonder if it only considers debt acquired from med school or includes undergrad debt.

Ah, never trust those figures from any school. It's all hype

anyone know when we might see some waitlist movement? Last year seemed to already see movement by this time. :oops:

Reactions: 2 users
anyone know when we might see some waitlist movement? Last year seemed to already see movement by this time. :oops:

As it is, I'd be surprised if they had any movement until after traffic day now. The early WL movement last year was (in my understanding) to allow the few of us who were accepted then to attend ASW, and I am under the impression that the deadline to register to attend ASW this year has passed. I'd look at the cycle from 2 years ago, where the first SDN-reported post-waitlist acceptances came in May (right around that year's traffic day) - this year might be more like that one.

Of course, I'd be happy to be wrong for your guys' sake, but I wouldn't be stressing out over not hearing anything for now.

As it is, I'd be surprised if they had any movement until after traffic day now. The early WL movement last year was (in my understanding) to allow the few of us who were accepted then to attend ASW, and I am under the impression that the deadline to register to attend ASW this year has passed. I'd look at the cycle from 2 years ago, where the first SDN-reported post-waitlist acceptances came in May (right around that year's traffic day) - this year might be more like that one.

Of course, I'd be happy to be wrong for your guys' sake, but I wouldn't be stressing out over not hearing anything for now.

Thanks.
Good lord the salt on that thread though :oops:

Assuming you're talking about the $6500/year grant - my understanding is that this is a default grant given to all UCSF students, to lessen the amount of loans you'll have to take out.
Does this renew every year? Or do you only receive it your first year?

Does this renew every year? Or do you only receive it your first year?

If you get the grant your first year and your income doesn't drastically change, the grant will probably increase a little each year (mine has). Just to clear things up about the medicine grant, different people get different amounts. There is no "default" amount. It's totally need-based.

According to the award letter, it increases by 4% every year.

If you get the grant your first year and your income doesn't drastically change, the grant will probably increase a little each year (mine has). Just to clear things up about the medicine grant, different people get different amounts. There is no "default" amount. It's totally need-based.

Whoops, my mistake! :oops: I wasn't sure if the medicine grant was the same amount for everyone regardless of need, and there was another name for need-based aid, or if the medicine grant starts at $6500 (for those with no estimated need) and increases for those qualifying for need-based aid. Sounds like it's actually the latter.

Thanks for clearing things up!

Could anyone provide some input on Mission Bay Campus housing (4 bedrooms group apartment)? I can think of following--
Pros:
Cheaper than living off campus
UCSF shuttle to Parnassus campus

Cons:
30 minutes commute to Parnassus campus
No air conditioning
Freeway noise

Hi, don't mean to hijack the thread but I'm looking for a current UCSF student to provide insight.

I'm an M1 at Cornell and was planning on doing research here this summer, but got an offer today for the NIDKK program at UCSF. They won't provide much info about who/what we'll be working on.

Do any of you know diabetes/endocrinology researchers or students doing research in these fields there? Or any info about the quality of the program? (I applied because I'm interested in those fields, but have received little info about what I'll get to do at UCSF).

Thanks!

Could anyone provide some input on Mission Bay Campus housing (4 bedrooms group apartment)? I can think of following--
Pros:
Cheaper than living off campus
UCSF shuttle to Parnassus campus

Cons:
30 minutes commute to Parnassus campus
No air conditioning
Freeway noise

I lived at MB dorms:
The shuttles are a huge pro... the air conditioning is not a problem as the city is never that hot except 3 days out of the year. Also most places in SF do NOT have an air conditioner. There is also very little freeway noise, and the dorms are remarkably sound suppressive and quiet. I'd say the real con is that there are very few restaurants in the area.

I lived at MB dorms:
The shuttles are a huge pro... the air conditioning is not a problem as the city is never that hot except 3 days out of the year. Also most places in SF do NOT have an air conditioner. There is also very little freeway noise, and the dorms are remarkably sound suppressive and quiet. I'd say the real con is that there are very few restaurants in the area.

The impact of no AC is variable depending on your preference for temperature (especially since Mission Bay runs hotter than Parnassus in my experience). I don't think there's been a single day where I haven't had at least one fan running this year. :shrug: Just to provide a counter-point.

That being said, the problem is remedied by buying fans, so I don't think it should be a dealbreaker either way.

Lived at mission bay for my post bacc and loved it. If you are lucky enough to be selected for a spot at mission bay through the lottery system then you shouldn't hesitate on accepting it. Looking for housing in the city is sort of a nightmare.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

How was second look weekend?

ASW was definitely fuego. :cat:

Long time lurker. have a JMP acceptance but saw this article (http://ww2.kqed.org/stateofhealth/2016/04/22/budget-cuts-threaten-uc-berkeleys-medical-program/) and im feeling nervous about committing. anyone have thoughts?

Did you receive the email from the director of the program today, detailing reasons why the program will not be closing? Or are you on the existing email thread for admitted JMP students? If not, send me a private message and I can loop you in. Several admits have already spoken to the program leadership and the JMP will not be closing.

Just got accepted off the waitlist!!! Via email, about 30 minutes ago

Reactions: 6 users
Wow UCSF sure is quick. Very impressive :thumbup:

Got off the waitlist this afternoon (regular MD)! Wowwwww!

Reactions: 3 users
Did any of you who heard back today write any sort of love letter to UCSF?

Did any of you who heard back today write any sort of love letter to UCSF?

I wrote a valentine to the MD program. No letter to JMP (as per their request). Acceptance from JMP first (May 2nd), then UCSF proper (May 3rd).