2015-2016 Tufts University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Will it be waitlist/rejetion
So does deferred = waitlist/rejection?
While there may be an exception or two, deferred applicants are typically rejected or waitlisted. This was done on 5/1 last year. Over the past 3 years, only a handful of applicants were pulled from the waitlist.

Members don't see this ad.

While there may be an exception or two, deferred applicants are typically rejected or waitlisted. This was done on 5/1 last year. Over the past 3 years, only a handful of applicants were pulled from the waitlist.

Several people that were deferred this cycle were accepted before they were wait listed! Again, may not be frequent at this school but it is possible!!!

Several people that were deferred this cycle were accepted before they were wait listed! Again, may not be frequent at this school but it is possible!!!
Why I said typically. In the past three years there were only a few. But then again, this was the first year that they rejected people during the year. So maybe things have changed. Not trying to be a downer, but this isn't a school like Jefferson or CMS where they see massive waitlist/deferred movement.

Members don't see this ad :)
Why I said typically. In the past three years there were only a few. But then again, this was the first year that they rejected people during the year. So maybe things have changed. Not trying to be a downer, but this isn't a school like Jefferson or CMS where they see massive waitlist/deferred movement.

True but you also have to take into consideration that the SDN community isn't even a quarter of the applicants. Pretty small sample for true statistical value

As per my call, "all deferred applicants will know a decision by May 15. Some may know a decision at an earlier time."

Reactions: 1 user
True but you also have to take into consideration that the SDN community isn't even a quarter of the applicants. Pretty small sample for true statistical value
My info came directly from admissions not SDN. No statistics necessary. But again, that was after last cycle so things may have changed in their process this time around.

^ this guy lol
I agree. I think this is all speculation at this point and this whole process is dynamic, so trying to find commonalities between past cycles is pointless and the admissions office probably just says stuff to set expectations at a certain level.

Logically, "I speculate", because Tufts accepts so many students they defer so many students, as opposed to accepting, rejecting, or waitlisting them. Especially so they can fill the spots of accepted students that withdrawal their application during the end of the cycle. I think there will be quite a bit of movement from the deferred list to fill the spots of those who withdrew. People even got accepted last month that were deferred and have read stories of people getting accepted last minute. I would think once an applicant is waitlisted... that might have slower movement. That's probably more of a list for "just in case there are spots left, but don't hold your breath."

Honestly, just put it all on the back burner and let the month play out. Because you could get the call at any minute. You could not get the call. Enjoy the spring while you still have freedom!

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Accepted via phone call - interviewed late February. Super excited, no email yet to confirm things.

Reactions: 2 users
Absolutely loved my experience at this school, but withdrew couple weeks back! Good luck to everyone hoping to see movement on the waitlist!! :)

Looks like they've historically spread calls over two or even three-four days, so hopefully some of the rest of us will hear soon!

Anyone else worried about potentially having to pay for all of Tufts with loans? Someone douse me with some paying-it-off-doesn't-suck logic.

Anyone else worried about potentially having to pay for all of Tufts with loans? Someone douse me with some paying-it-off-doesn't-suck logic.
Tufts is objectively not worth sticker price, especially if you have to take out loans.

And if it Tufts is the only option...?

Then, look at it as an investment in your future and go. Especially, if that is your only option for med school - which is a great one....

200 students a year go through this same process. Everyone's situation is a bit different. Fin Aid has already put me in touch with a financial planner they recommend so my family can figure out not only how to manage the next 4 years, but put us in a position to start paying off the loans from day 1 of residency.

Be proactive about your finances. Being older, I have about a dozen friends who are either finishing residency or already in practice. Some are in great shape and others are struggling with money. It doesn't matter if you have $100K or $200K of debt. If you don't have a plan and understand how your finances work, you can still get in deep trouble.

200 students a year go through this same process. Everyone's situation is a bit different. Fin Aid has already put me in touch with a financial planner they recommend so my family can figure out not only how to manage the next 4 years, but put us in a position to start paying off the loans from day 1 of residency.

Be proactive about your finances. Being older, I have about a dozen friends who are either finishing residency or already in practice. Some are in great shape and others are struggling with money. It doesn't matter if you have $100K or $200K of debt. If you don't have a plan and understand how your finances work, you can still get in deep trouble.

Did you initiate the conversation with the Financial Aid folks? Or, should we wait for them to contact us with the financial aid award? I just received an email titled "Missing Information Letter" with a few items (counseling, prom notes, award) all marked as "not received," and I'm wondering if that means they're about to start sending us information or if I've somehow missed completing some important things. Anyone else in the same boat?

Ok yes I was worried about that email too especially cause I got an email from them weeks ago that my fin aid application was complete. I just tried calling to get clarification and nobody picked up so I'll try again in a bit. Perhaps you're right though.

Did you initiate the conversation with the Financial Aid folks? Or, should we wait for them to contact us with the financial aid award? I just received an email titled "Missing Information Letter" with a few items (counseling, prom notes, award) all marked as "not received," and I'm wondering if that means they're about to start sending us information or if I've somehow missed completing some important things. Anyone else in the same boat?

I initiated the conversation.

I got an email saying they had received all the forms for my fin aid application. I would call them ASAP.

I called the office and she said that email was sent by mistake when they mailed out my award. It's documents I'll have to complete once I get the package..hopefully later this week!

Reactions: 2 users
Not sure how the wait list movement is for Tufts, but I withdrew my app last week. Hope someone else here gets the spot! :)

Tufts Financial Aid package came in today. No Scholarship just Loans :(

I was accepted into the Maine Track on Friday! Does anyone know if there's a Facebook group? I couldn't seem to find one

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Reactions: 5 users
I was accepted into the Maine Track on Friday! Does anyone know if there's a Facebook group? I couldn't seem to find one

Oof, didn't get a call. I'm guessing I'm out for Maine Track?

Congrats! When did you interview?

Congrats! Haven't heard anything yet, interviewed Maine Track 3/11.

Was it all Snail mail or was any of your info sent in an email or online?
I just checked my online portal and didn't see any financial aid information, and I haven't gotten anything in the mail yet. I do live in California though, so I'm not expecting anything until Wednesday or Thursday.

I just checked my online portal and didn't see any financial aid information, and I haven't gotten anything in the mail yet. I do live in California though, so I'm not expecting anything until Wednesday or Thursday.
I'm in CA as well - nothing yet.

Does anyone have information on the prematriculation summer program that Tufts is offering? I didn't find much online.

Does anyone have information on the prematriculation summer program that Tufts is offering? I didn't find much online.
I just spoke with Marlene. 4 weeks. Roughly 9-3 every day, except Tuesday or Thursday (forget which) when you volunteer at Sharewood from 5-close. Between 10-15 students do it. It's free. Classes cover topics from the first year curriculum. June 10th is the deadline to enroll.

She was really nice to speak to if you have any questions.

I just spoke with Marlene. 4 weeks. Roughly 9-3 every day, except Tuesday or Thursday (forget which) when you volunteer at Sharewood from 5-close. Between 10-15 students do it. It's free. Classes cover topics from the first year curriculum. June 10th is the deadline to enroll.

Sharewood is on Tuesdays.

As always, thank you for your helpful posts Cyril! It sounds like a great program, but I do worry about the intensity since most of the advice on SDN is to do anything other than academic before med school starts. I'll also be working through June, so I wouldn't have as much of a breather as I was originally hoping for. C'est la vie; life is what happens while making other plans!