2015-2016 Sackler School of Medicine New York State Program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

laurenfl92

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
new thread for this cycle :)

Members don't see this ad.

I made a thread in the international forum, but I guess it will get more views here. I interviewed here and really want to go here and is probably my first choice. I'm a little concerned about the IMG status but looking at the match list, it seems like Sackler grads do get good residencies especially if you want to end up in NY. Did anybody who interviewed find out when we can expect to hear back? The website says March but last year's thread had the first round of notifications go out in late January/early February.

Reactions: 1 user
I wanted to go there as well but if you check their match list you will see that out 0f 65 students in class only 40 got matched.

Members don't see this ad :)
I wanted to go there as well but if you check their match list you will see that out 0f 65 students in class only 40 got matched.
A student from there posted that the number that applied for the match was much closer to the number that matched. A lot of people gunning for competitive specialties take a year off for research.

I understand but you cant think that all those 25 students took a year off to do research. Sakler is an amazing school but its still an international school

I understand but you cant think that all those 25 students took a year off to do research. Sakler is an amazing school but its still an international school
I don't think the class size was 65( I think that is just the max class size) but I am not sure on that. I know that Technion's latest match was something like 80 percent and the overall match rate for all the Israeli schools according to the Nmrp was around 75-80 percent which includes re applicants(the stat for US schools only includes first time applicants). And I would imagine the rate for sackler is higher as it's the most well known and usually considered the best of the Israeli schools for matching. I definitely understand it's an international school but looking at the quality of matches combined with the data available I think it's a pretty safe choice if you want to be in NY. It would be nice to know the exact match rate though, maybe a current student or recent grad can clarify.

They said max number of students allowed is 63 . Im going to apply regardless but it wouldn't be my top choice . Also , safety is my other concern but again it's in tel aviv so I guess it wouldn't be that bad

They said max number of students allowed is 63 . Im going to apply regardless but it wouldn't be my top choice . Also , safety is my other concern but again it's in tel aviv so I guess it wouldn't be that bad

Yea it probably wouldnt be my top choice either if I wanted to do something competitive but I dont. I also never had the opportunity to study abroad and med school is my last chance for that. Sackler is also significantly cheaper than all the US schools that I am in the running for.

Anyone hear back about decisions recently?

Hi all, I'm a student at Sackler. Never joined SDN because previous years' threads were very active. Created this account because this year's isn't and it doesn't look like any current students have shown up yet. I'd be happy to answer any questions, even in private. Best of luck to everyone applying!

Anyone hear back yet(preferably with good news)? I heard there was an adcom meeting this past week.

Hi all, I'm a student at Sackler. Never joined SDN because previous years' threads were very active. Created this account because this year's isn't and it doesn't look like any current students have shown up yet. I'd be happy to answer any questions, even in private. Best of luck to everyone applying!

Any comments on the low number of matches last year- 45 out of 63(?)

A lot of them took a year off (only 40-something graduated). For that reason, this year's graduating class is massive (almost 80 people trying to match). The results should speak volumes. Match night is on Sunday, I will be in attendance and will let you guys know how they did.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Just received my acceptance letter via fedex! I am almost definitely attending!

So I was doing some looking around on their website and I found this page:
http://sacklermedicine.us/expenses/consumer-information-report/

There it lists the number of graduates for the 2014 year as 56. If we look at the match list for 2014 here http://sacklermedicine.us/match-day/2014-2/ and count up all the matches we get 56. Somebody feel free to check my counting on that. So everybody that graduated found a residency spot in 2014. Also that means the match list is not a match list but a residency list since I dont think even US MD schools have a 100% match rate. Still very reassuring to see a 100% placement rate.

Also of note in that is it said that 47 students completed the program on time that year, which means 9 were from the year before. And that is around the number that seems to be missing from the 2015 match. I know that a current student has already said that the reason for the relatively low number of matches in 2015 is because those students took a year off, but this data should be a bit reassuring to anyone who may have been a bit skeptical.

Last edited by a moderator:
So I was doing some looking around on their website and I found this page:
http://sacklermedicine.us/expenses/consumer-information-report/

There it lists the number of graduates for the 2014 year as 56. If we look at the match list for 2014 here http://sacklermedicine.us/match-day/2014-2/ and count up all the matches we get 56. Somebody feel free to check my counting on that. So everybody that graduated found a residency spot in 2014. Also that means the match list is not a match list but a residency list since I dont think even US MD schools have a 100% match rate. Still very reassuring to see a 100% placement rate.

Also of note in that is it said that 47 students completed the program on time that year, which means 9 were from the year before. And that is around the number that seems to be missing from the 2015 match. I know that a current student has already said that the reason for the relatively low number of matches in 2015 is because those students took a year off, but this data should be a bit reassuring to anyone who may have been a bit skeptical.

I don't know what to make of their number of graduates. Here's the number of graduates since 2002:

02 - 83
03 - 62
04 - 51
05 - 52
06 - 28
07 - 35
08 - 42
09 - 48
10 - 70
11 - 60
12 - 58
13 - 47
14 - 56
15 - 45

The 2014 report also says:

Another interesting observation is that the mean debt for class of 2014 was 88k, while CoA is more like 250k (assuming 30k tuition). One way to interpret it is to say that 2/3 of the class had their school paid for, while 1/3 fully paid with loans. Quite an unprecedented figure compared to US schools.

Last edited:
I don't know what to make of their number of graduates. Here's the number of graduates since 2002:

02 - 83
03 - 62
04 - 51
05 - 52
06 - 28
07 - 35
08 - 42
09 - 48
10 - 70
11 - 60
12 - 58
13 - 47
14 - 56
15 - 45

"Number of U.S. students completing medical program in the most recently completed academic year 56
On-time completion rate for U.S. students completing medical program in the most recently completed academic year 84%

Another interesting observation is that mean debt for class of 2014 was 88k, while CoA is more like 250k. One way to interpret it is to say that 2/3 of the class had their school paid for, while 1/3 fully paid it with loans. Quite an unprecedented figure compared to US schools.

I think they got that 84% by dividing the 47 who were graduating "on time" without taking a year off by the total amount of graduates that year(56) 47/56=83.9%. As in the 9 students were originally from the class of 2013(and decided to take a research year). I dont think it is indicative of their attrition(not saying you said that just that somebody reading it migh interpret it as such)

As for the debt that confuses me too. I highly doubt 2/3rds of the class is paying for it outright. One of the students there told me that they estimate 2/3rds are on financial aid which as far as I know is all loans. Also they say the median title IV loan amount was 60,000 so I think these amounts might be per year. But even then the 88k figure would seem too high.

I think they got that 84% by dividing the 47 who were graduating "on time" without taking a year off by the total amount of graduates that year(56) 47/56=83.9%. I dont think it is indicative of their attrition(not saying you said that just that somebody reading it migh interpret it as such)

As for the debt that confuses me too. I highly doubt 2/3rds of the class is paying for it outright. One of the students there told me that they estimate 2/3rds are on financial aid which as far as I know is all loans. Also they say the median title IV loan amount was 60,000 so I think these amounts might be per year. But even then the 88k figure would seem too high.

I like your interpretation. I think I am reading too much into it :D

Btw, about my thread against Caribbean schools. Well, it was just that: a thread against Caribbean schools. If students from Sackler are getting residencies primarily through insider connections, I doubt that the residency squeeze will have much of an effect on them.

I like your interpretation. I think I am reading too much into it :D

Btw, about my thread against Caribbean schools. Well, it was just that: a thread against Caribbean schools. If students from Sackler are getting residencies primarily through insider connections, I doubt that the residency squeeze will have much of an effect on them.

I dont think most of the class gets their residencies through insider connections(although some definitely do as is the case with most things in life). They match a lot of the same places year after year(Mt Sinai for instance). That would be some coincidence unless they were specifically selecting for students with those connections, in which case they screwed up by accepting me because I have none haha. Unless you meant connections through the school like special affiliations with residency programs, which is definitely a possibility. In all seriousness, I dont think things will change that much for Sackler(or even SGU/Ross/AUC) by 2020. A lot of it comes down to how familiar individual programs are with schools and their graduates. Has there even been that much expansion in the NY area since 2012?(thats not rhetorical I dont know). And something to keep in mind is that the link I posted in the other thread projects the gap to decrease by about 1000 spots by then. However IMGs will be able to apply to a bunch of programs they were previously shut out of. And as the resident in that thread said in the north east its not always DO>IMG(especially non caribbean IMG). I dont see the 50-60 students graduating from Sackler every year being impacted too much to be honest. We'll probably have a clearer picture once this year's match results come out as that will be a relatively big graduating class with all the people who took research years from the class of 2015.

Out of curiosity, did you apply here?

I dont think most of the class gets their residencies through insider connections(although some definitely do as is the case with most things in life). They match a lot of the same places year after year(Mt Sinai for instance). That would be some coincidence unless they were specifically selecting for students with those connections, in which case they screwed up by accepting me because I have none haha. Unless you meant connections through the school like special affiliations with residency programs, which is definitely a possibility. In all seriousness, I dont think things will change that much for Sackler(or even SGU/Ross/AUC) by 2020. A lot of it comes down to how familiar individual programs are with schools and their graduates. Has there even been that much expansion in the NY area since 2012?(thats not rhetorical I dont know). And something to keep in mind is that the link I posted in the other thread projects the gap to decrease by about 1000 spots by then. However IMGs will be able to apply to a bunch of programs they were previously shut out of. And as the resident in that thread said in the north east its not always DO>IMG(especially non caribbean IMG). I dont see the 50-60 students graduating from Sackler every year being impacted too much to be honest. We'll probably have a clearer picture once this year's match results come out as that will be a relatively big graduating class with all the people who took research years from the class of 2015.

Out of curiosity, did you apply here?

Insider connections as in faculty connections as well as the school's network of graduates; not student connections. I know of some residencies even in FL selecting for IMGs over DOs. The DO growth has been largely due to some dubious schools opening up in the past years. If Sackler provides better education than those programs, then it really makes no sense for a residency to pick a student just because they went to a school in the states over somebody who is a better fit for them and is from a school that the residency is familiar with. I'm very much looking forward to this week's match results.

I haven't actually applied anywhere yet, but will be soon :)

Insider connections as in faculty connections as well as the school's network of graduates; not student connections. I know of some residencies even in FL selecting for IMGs over DOs. The DO growth has been largely due to some dubious schools opening up in the past years. If Sackler provides better education than those programs, then it really makes no sense for a residency to pick a student just because they went to a school in the states over somebody who is a better fit for them and is from a school that the residency is familiar with. I'm very much looking forward to this week's match results.

I haven't actually applied anywhere yet, but will be soon :)

Awesome Good luck!

How frequently does the adcom meet? Anybody hear about when the next meeting is?

Class of 2016: 71/74 matched, a lot of them were really phenomenal too. The residency list should be released in the next couple of weeks, keep checking the website!

Class of 2016: 71/74 matched, a lot of them were really phenomenal too. The residency list should be released in the next couple of weeks, keep checking the website!
Is that 71/74, match or placement? Does that include soap? Can't wait for the list to come out.

Made this account just to post that I was admitted and accepted my offer. Is there any sort of Facebook group or something similar for admitted students to get to know each other. I have a lot of questions about living arrangements, loans, etc. with Sackler, and I don't really know who to contact other than the generic email on their site/my letter. I have contact info for current/previous students, but I was wondering what to expect formally.

Start a group and post the link
Just found out that the student body executive board will be contacting us once they have a list of students who accepted their offers. They'll also make the student group on FB. Congrats to the others admitted and good luck to everyone else waiting for the next round of acceptances!

2016 match list is up: http://sacklermedicine.us/match-day/

Looks pretty impressive at first glance. Only concern I have is that there seem to be 67 matches. I thought 71/74 matched as per Dr. Otto Octavius. Can anyone clarify?

Can any current Sackler students comment on the waitlist? I am currently waitlisted - how likely is it that I will get a spot? How many people are usually on the waitlist?

Just had my interview today - waiting for results!

-

Last edited:
Can any current Sackler students comment on the waitlist? I am currently waitlisted - how likely is it that I will get a spot? How many people are usually on the waitlist?
I am a current MS1, and I was on the waitlist last year, so I understand the position you're in. In my year, I know a few others who got off the waitlist - so yes it does happen. However, I know others who never made it off the waitlist. I'm not sure how many others are typically on the waitlist. One thing I can tell you was I had to wait a really long time till the school even looked at the waitlist, so hang in there. Good luck to all of you!
If anyone has any questions about Sackler, feel free to PM me.

Hey, do you guys think it's too late to apply??
No, it's not too late. If you're a good candidate, go for it! There is a student in my year who applied near/on the deadline and got in without being waitlisted.

A friend of mine just told me they received an email from admissions asking for an updated transcript.
Has this happened to anyone else?

A friend of mine just told me they received an email from admissions asking for an updated transcript.
I didn't receive such an email. Still waiting to hear back.

I was also asked for an updated transcript.

Anyone heard anything lately other than those that got asked for transcripts?
Wondering when the next wave of decisions is going to be made, it's been silent for almost a month it seems.

Anyone heard anything lately other than those that got asked for transcripts?
Wondering when the next wave of decisions is going to be made, it's been silent for almost a month it seems.

It doesnt hurt to call. I called a week or two before I received my acceptances and they told me when my app was scheduled to be reviewed, and I received my decision shortly after the time frame that was given.

-

Last edited:
It doesnt hurt to call. I called a week or two before I received my acceptances and they told me when my app was scheduled to be reviewed, and I received my decision shortly after the time frame that was given.
I called yesterday. They said if you were reviewed in the recent admissions committee then you will receive an answer in about a week.

I just called earlier and received a similar answer of 'within a week'. Guess we wait.

I just called earlier and received a similar answer of 'within a week'. Guess we wait.
Are you guys talking about waittime for waitlist or for those who havent received any notification yet?

Are you guys talking about waittime for waitlist or for those who havent received any notification yet?

I was only interviewed in March, so speaking strictly about receiving any sort of notification.

I think theyre talking about the admission decision after interview. I had my interview last week of March and have been waiting ever since. Seems like we'll hear back by this Friday?

I called yesterday. They said if you were reviewed in the recent admissions committee then you will receive an answer in about a week.

Please keep me updated on ur status! We could end up in same class! Best of luck