2013 Public Health Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Thank y'all for the answers!!! :) I know what exactly to out down now

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm only applying to one school :xf:....but I'm also an employee of that university so I'm hoping it'll help, and I'm currently a non-degree seeking grad student there anyway.

Basically:
GPA: graduated in 2010 with a 3.76 from a state military university known for science and engineering
Major: Microbiology, minor in Political/Military History
GRE: took in 2009, got a 1270, but with a 3.5W (ugh)
...I took the MCAT and am thinking about not even bothering with submitting that score because it was appalling (25N).

I had 2 years of research in college (1 year evolutionary genetics, 1 year microbial physio), and worked in a research lab for a year (more microbial physio). I did a year internship for medical laboratory science certification, though I never sat the exam (decided it wasn't for me). Am now working as an outreach coordinator for a medical school, working on fairs to get low-income and URM kids interested in healthcare careers and I coordinate an annual health promotion conference.

Apart from the health-related work above, I did a fair amount of volunteer work in college, working with local elementary schools teaching kids about microbiology (good germs vs bad germs, that sort of deal) and the importance of proper hand-washing. The year I did research as my job, I wrote our lab's safety manual as well as our procedure guide.

So yeah, just applying to one school in Health Behavior/Promotion.

Hello,
Does anyone know if BU and Drexel award scholarships up to Full/Half tuition? I've narrowed the list of schools im applying to down to 15 and I'm looking to cross even more schools off that list.

Money is kind of tight, so I'd rather not waste time applying to schools that have scholarship caps at 1/6 of Tuition or thereabouts.

Thank you.

Under Academic History > Tests > GRE, there's a field for 'GRE registration code'. I've checked my GRE exam ticket repeatedly. The only two string of numbers that look likely to fit in here are the

1. 16 digit confirmation number
2. 12 digit Alphanumeric Prometric ID with a hyphen after the first 3 alphabets

Is the GRE registration ID any of these? Because none of these seem to fit. Thanks.

Under Academic History > Tests > GRE, there's a field for 'GRE registration code'. I've checked my GRE exam ticket repeatedly. The only two string of numbers that look likely to fit in here are the

1. 16 digit confirmation number
2. 12 digit Alphanumeric Prometric ID with a hyphen after the first 3 alphabets

Is the GRE registration ID any of these? Because none of these seem to fit. Thanks.

The one I used is on www.ets.org/gre and you log into your account, click on your scores and there's an ID towards the top under your name/address. I have used it and it works!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN Mobile app

Thank you so much. I can't believe that I didn't notice the reg ID despite staring at that page for hours. Lol.

Can I just say how obnoxious filling out the SOPHAS app is?

...and if you are also applying to UCLA or Berkeley, can we just UGH?!

:D

What do you think about the work experience section? They want us to list duties/accomplishments. I have all this on my CV. It seems like I'm just entering all of the same information. Anyone else doing the same, or should I do something different?

What do you think about the work experience section? They want us to list duties/accomplishments. I have all this on my CV. It seems like I'm just entering all of the same information. Anyone else doing the same, or should I do something different?

It depends...

In my CV I described clinical/work experience during my doctoral training. Anything before that (i.e., before 2007) is simply listed with no description. On the SOPHAS I am cutting and pasting the material from my doctoral training (2007-2012). For everything else I am actually writing things down to clarify what it is I did before 2007 :D

Last year I pretty much just put all the same information, and I think it was fine. I think I may have had shorter descriptions on my CV to some degree.

Also with regards to filling out SOPHAS.... filled it out last year, and then filled out AMCAS this year. :annoyed: Luckily I got to my old SOPHAS app before they cleared things for the year and was able to use a lot of the same information in my AMCAS. Still... I'm completely burnt out on these app things...

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi everyone,

Does anyone have an idea of what a "good" GRE score is with the new GRE format? Obviously getting as close to 170 as possible what you should do, but how much lower than 170 is "good" or still competitive when applying to top programs like Harvard or Columbia?

Thank you!

Hi everyone,

Does anyone have an idea of what a "good" GRE score is with the new GRE format? Obviously getting as close to 170 as possible what you should do, but how much lower than 170 is "good" or still competitive when applying to top programs like Harvard or Columbia?

Thank you!

"Even though we do not have a minimum GRE score requirement, many successful candidates typically score above 650 in the quantitative section of the GRE."

http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/adminis...plication-requirements/test-scores/index.html

That translates to a score of 151 in the new format: http://www.ets.org/s/gre/pdf/concordance_information.pdf

The admissions officers keep pushing the fact that a GRE score isn't going to make or break your application. So I wouldn't stress about it.

Last edited:
1) Is getting into the MHA/ MPH in Health Policy and Management tougher for international students? How competitive are these programs in general?

2) Yale Health Care Management v/s JHSPH MHA. Which one is better? Also which one is more challenging to get into?

3)GPA 3.2 Biotechnology Engineering, University of Mumbai
GRE 317/340 (157V 160Q 4.0 AWA)
3 years of volunteer work in organizing medical camps
Event Coordinator and Public Relations Officer of a technical society in college.
Campus Ambassador at Teach for India.
2 business development internships

Is my profile competitive enough for UPitt, BU, JHSPH, Georgetown?

4) Does anyone have any info about the USC Price MHA? What about the placements scene there?

I know this is a long post but I will be very grateful if someone can take the time and help me out..
Thanks!

1) Is getting into the MHA/ MPH in Health Policy and Management tougher for international students? How competitive are these programs in general?

2) Yale Health Care Management v/s JHSPH MHA. Which one is better? Also which one is more challenging to get into?

3)GPA 3.2 Biotechnology Engineering, University of Mumbai
GRE 317/340 (157V 160Q 4.0 AWA)
3 years of volunteer work in organizing medical camps
Event Coordinator and Public Relations Officer of a technical society in college.
Campus Ambassador at Teach for India.
2 business development internships

Is my profile competitive enough for UPitt, BU, JHSPH, Georgetown?

4) Does anyone have any info about the USC Price MHA? What about the placements scene there?

I know this is a long post but I will be very grateful if someone can take the time and help me out..
Thanks!

1. Overall, I think international students can be just as competitive for admissions as U.S. applicants. Many schools of public health put emphasis on recruiting a student body that has a breadth and depth of experience, including actively seeking international students who can contribute to practice and theoretical discourse. I highly encourage that you look to the course descriptions of the programs specific to policy and management. I am a U.S. applicant who is interested in international health policy, and in my own research of these programs, many (understandably) focus on the U.S. healthcare system. So, as an international student, is this the right fit for you? If you are interested in participating in U.S. healthcare governance, I can see how a health policy/management focus in the U.S. makes the most sense. However, if you see yourself working in an international body or returning to Mumbai, is a U.S.-based curriculum ideal for your longer-term purposes?

2. Hopkins is a better school than Yale, overall (with regards to public health). Both are obviously excellent, but Yale's public health school is less established than Hopkins's programs. If I were to choose right off the bat, I would pick Hopkins over Yale. I am applying to Yale's health policy focus, which I think is an excellent program. The Global Health Certificate is an add-on that will enrich the focus, in my view. There is a world of difference between health care management and health care administration. You have to be careful about which one you want. Both are challenging to get into, but Hopkins is harder - and the better deal.

3. Sounds like you are a competitive applicant. Do you have an advanced degree? Many applicants to Hopkins's MPH have advanced degrees (e.g., MD, PhD, etc.).

4. USC is a great school, and the Price School is a good option. Whether or not is a good fit for you will, in part, depend on how you see your longer-term goals. USC is world-renowned as an institution, but the Price School is stronger in its networking within California (as opposed to Hopkins where there may be more opportunities for international connections/networking). So, if you are interested in staying local, the Price School is an excellent school. If you are interested in "going global," I would look elsewhere. (Again, this is not to say that Price will necessarily limit you. I am from Southern California, and I know USC provides rigorous training. But I would encourage you to think about your longer-term goals.)

Good luck!

1. Overall, I think international students can be just as competitive for admissions as U.S. applicants. Many schools of public health put emphasis on recruiting a student body that has a breadth and depth of experience, including actively seeking international students who can contribute to practice and theoretical discourse. I highly encourage that you look to the course descriptions of the programs specific to policy and management. I am a U.S. applicant who is interested in international health policy, and in my own research of these programs, many (understandably) focus on the U.S. healthcare system. So, as an international student, is this the right fit for you? If you are interested in participating in U.S. healthcare governance, I can see how a health policy/management focus in the U.S. makes the most sense. However, if you see yourself working in an international body or returning to Mumbai, is a U.S.-based curriculum ideal for your longer-term purposes?

2. Hopkins is a better school than Yale, overall (with regards to public health). Both are obviously excellent, but Yale's public health school is less established than Hopkins's programs. If I were to choose right off the bat, I would pick Hopkins over Yale. I am applying to Yale's health policy focus, which I think is an excellent program. The Global Health Certificate is an add-on that will enrich the focus, in my view. There is a world of difference between health care management and health care administration. You have to be careful about which one you want. Both are challenging to get into, but Hopkins is harder - and the better deal.

3. Sounds like you are a competitive applicant. Do you have an advanced degree? Many applicants to Hopkins's MPH have advanced degrees (e.g., MD, PhD, etc.).

4. USC is a great school, and the Price School is a good option. Whether or not is a good fit for you will, in part, depend on how you see your longer-term goals. USC is world-renowned as an institution, but the Price School is stronger in its networking within California (as opposed to Hopkins where there may be more opportunities for international connections/networking). So, if you are interested in staying local, the Price School is an excellent school. If you are interested in "going global," I would look elsewhere. (Again, this is not to say that Price will necessarily limit you. I am from Southern California, and I know USC provides rigorous training. But I would encourage you to think about your longer-term goals.)

Good luck!

Thanks a lot for your reply!
1) I think an MHA or HPM , if done from a reputed US university will help me secure a job internationally as well. Most colleges that have an HPM track allow students to pick between a Health Policy track and Health Care Management track, in which case I would pick health care management. I understand that health policy would be specific to US, but healthcare management would be pretty much the same globally, right?

2) I am kind of worried about applying to Hopkins because of my low GPA. Yale, I noticed gives more importance to work ex than acads, and I do have quite a few internships/ leadership positions/ volunteer work. Hence the confusion. If they are both good.. maybe applying to Yale makes more sense for me considering my low GPA? You mentioned there is a world of a difference between health care management and health administration.. How so? I dont mean an MBA in health care management.. just the health care management track in HPM courses like I mentioned earlier..

3) I will receive a bachelor of engineering degree in June 2013. Dont think that is an advanced degree...

4)Thanks for the info on USC! The US News Rankings gave it a pretty low rank. But your answer eased my apprehension :)

Hello! I am a little confused about the resume/CV requirement. I just graduated from college, so I will not have much post-graduation work experience. I did a public health-related internship, hospital volunteering, and biomedical research work while in college, and I plan to include all of these in the resume. I also did other jobs as a work-study student but they aren't related to public health. Should I exclude these in the resume and only focus on the important experiences? And can it be more than a page? Thank you!

Hello! I am a little confused about the resume/CV requirement. I just graduated from college, so I will not have much post-graduation work experience. I did a public health-related internship, hospital volunteering, and biomedical research work while in college, and I plan to include all of these in the resume. I also did other jobs as a work-study student but they aren't related to public health. Should I exclude these in the resume and only focus on the important experiences? And can it be more than a page? Thank you!

Hey!
I had pretty much the same issue till a few weeks ago.
After a lot of research I came to the conclusion that a CV can definitely be more than one page. Also I suggest you include the internship , volunteering and research work as well as everything else. Your CV should not only show your commitment to public health but your ability to juggle multiple tasks at a time and still emerge successful.
However do not go back into the past too much. Sticking to your jobs/achievements through college should be enough.

for people who participated in university clubs or opened a club of their own-what section are you putting under on the SOPHAS app? i don't know if it should be in community service or jobs or other exp. (it was a pre-dental club-relvant only since i opened it in my jr year)

and this application is totally another stress factor altogether.
pain in the butt for people like me who need to fill out coursework for 3+ schools

add that to the stress of trying to apply/get into a school with subpar gpa AND prepping for the gre in 1.5 months :eek:

who else thinks that i have a shot with a 2.8 gpa and 155+ gre? anyone? :confused:

best of luck with everyone on their apps

There is a world of difference between a CV and a resume. I would pay careful attention to which one you choose. Generally, when applying to graduate school, submitting a CV is recommended. However, admissions officers know that many applicants are immediately coming out of college and may not have significant post-undergraduate experience. The challenge is to be able to communicate to graduate schools that you are well prepared to the rigorous demands of graduate studies. While I agree that many experiences that are not necessarily related to public health can be included in the CV to show other skill set, I would be careful with appearing "too flowery" or "trying too hard." Are you overestimating your abilities? Does including these "non public health" activities take away the highlights of public health related activities you did include? Would a 2-page, focused resume be better than a 5-page, overextended CV? Generally, unless you have an advanced degree and/or significant work experience post-college, a resume is recommended.

I recommend these sites. I particularly like Berkeley's.

Hopkins: http://www.jhu.edu/careers/students/handouts/cv.pdf

Harvard: http://www.ocs.fas.harvard.edu/students/gsas/gsas_CVs2007.pdf

Berkeley: https://career.berkeley.edu/phds/phdcv.stm

"Even though we do not have a minimum GRE score requirement, many successful candidates typically score above 650 in the quantitative section of the GRE."

http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/adminis...plication-requirements/test-scores/index.html

That translates to a score of 151 in the new format: http://www.ets.org/s/gre/pdf/concordance_information.pdf

The admissions officers keep pushing the fact that a GRE score isn't going to make or break your application. So I wouldn't stress about it.

Just for reference HSPH:

50% GRE Quant score = 740 or 158 in new format

Thank you HopefulMHA and Porkbunsrule! I will check out the links.

Last edited:
Hi everyone! Just thought I'd quickly post my stats and what I'm applying to. I haven't really started SOPHAS yet as I've been focusing on the GRE (just took it today!), but I'm ready to get down to it.

B.S. Biology, Minor in Chemistry
3.4 GPA
GRE: 165V, 158Q, waiting on writing

On my list of potential schools to apply to right now:
UNC Chapel Hill (undergrad alma mater woo! but know that won't be any help here haha)
Tulane
George Washington
USC (South Carolina)
Boston University
University of South Florida
San Diego State

I'm applying to all of these schools equivalent of Health Behavior and Education (they all call them something slightly different)

Biggest worries right now: getting teacher recs (just always find it intimidating to ask), not super high GPA, and my lack of relevant work experience :/

Hi everyone! Just thought I'd quickly post my stats and what I'm applying to. I haven't really started SOPHAS yet as I've been focusing on the GRE (just took it today!), but I'm ready to get down to it.

3.4 GPA
GRE: 165V, 158Q, waiting on writing

UNC Chapel Hill (undergrad alma mater woo! but know that won't be any help here haha)
Tulane
George Washington
USC (South Carolina)
Boston University
San Diego State

I'm applying to all of these schools equivalent of Health Behavior and Education (they all call them something slightly different)

Biggest worries right now: getting teacher recs (just always find it intimidating to ask), not super high GPA, and my lack of relevant work experience :/

Hello! Im a UNC graduate as well so I just wanted to say hello! Im applying there for the MSPH in Health Policy and management :)

Greeting all.

I am also in the application process for MPH global health tracks. I have completed my LOC, ordered transcripts, but need to take the GRE and write statements. I'm planning to apply to BU, Puerto Rico, Tulane, Emory, San Diego, University of MN, Arizona with a possible application for Spring 2013 at BU and Tulane if I can cram it all in. I'm nervous about getting in.

I have great LOC, peace corps health experience, currently working in public health nutrition but GPA is only 2.85 from undergrad. Does anyone have thoughts about this? Is it still possible to be accepted. I don't want to spend a ton of money applying if I cannot get in. If I were to get accepted Emory would be number 1.

Anyone know anything about Puerto Rico?

Greeting all.

I am also in the application process for MPH global health tracks. I have completed my LOC, ordered transcripts, but need to take the GRE and write statements. I'm planning to apply to BU, Puerto Rico, Tulane, Emory, San Diego, University of MN, Arizona with a possible application for Spring 2013 at BU and Tulane if I can cram it all in. I'm nervous about getting in.

I have great LOC, peace corps health experience, currently working in public health nutrition but GPA is only 2.85 from undergrad. Does anyone have thoughts about this? Is it still possible to be accepted. I don't want to spend a ton of money applying if I cannot get in. If I were to get accepted Emory would be number 1.

It sounds like you have great and relevant experience. While a 2.85 GPA does not necessarily exclude you, I highly recommend addressing in your personal statement/admissions essay why the GPA is below 3.0. Global health tracks are particularly difficult to gain admission.

Greeting all.

I would have sworn the other day someone at Tulane said they had a 2.9 undergrad GPA. And I'm pretty sure they weren't a returned PCV.

3.4 GPA
GRE: 165V, 158Q
, waiting on writing

Tulane
George Washington
USC (South Carolina)
Boston University
San Diego State

hi there!

first of all nice stats-just looking at them i can confidently say that you have a great chance with GWU. They had an online info session seminar today and went over their student profile-which is the exact same stats as yours :)

I'm pretty sure you have a great chance with all the programs but GWU is one that i can be confident of.

Good luck! Im applying to GWU but my gpa is subpar (2.7ish) and I'm hoping my GRE (taking it early Nov) will be my saving grace!!

-----
EDIT-the GRE scores for the student profile was in the 60th percentile so you are above that

Hello everyone,

Does anyone know how GPA is calculated for the SOPHAS? Some schools say they only look at the last two years of your undergrad education. Is that true for most schools too?
Thanks for the help! =)

Hello everyone,

Does anyone know how GPA is calculated for the SOPHAS? Some schools say they only look at the last two years of your undergrad education. Is that true for most schools too?
Thanks for the help! =)

I suggest looking at the FAQ section of the SOPHAS. It will answer your question.

..and I am not sure what you mean by "most schools." Some look at the last two years because those years (presumably) mostly focus on your major/concentration. The first years in contrast (typically) focus on required courses that everyone takes (e.g., a certain number of English, math, science classes, etc.). How you did in your major/concentration is considered a reliable predictor of how you will do on studies moving forward. It is looked at favorably when there is a clearly (high) consistent GPA or an upward trend.

I'm also wondering the same thing someone posted a while back. Where are you guys including any student clubs/organizations you were a part of? I don't really see how that fits into either the work/research experience section or the volunteer service section. I guess I did include these in my CV but I was hoping to elaborate on them further somewhere else in the application. Any ideas?

I'm also wondering the same thing someone posted a while back. Where are you guys including any student clubs/organizations you were a part of? I don't really see how that fits into either the work/research experience section or the volunteer service section. I guess I did include these in my CV but I was hoping to elaborate on them further somewhere else in the application. Any ideas?

I did not include that information on any section. I left it on my vitae. I only made an exception for what would otherwise be under the "service to publications" section of my vitae.

I am a journal reviewer of one psych journal and in the editorial board of another. I am not getting paid for either and chose to do so voluntarily. They do not fit under work/research or community/volunteer work on the SOPHAS. But I want to make sure I point them out. So, I put them (very briefly) under Other Relevant Information.

Quite frankly, admissions officers are perusing (in my view under 30 sec) hundreds of applications and will only choose a smaller number for further review. I do not believe info on our extracurricular activities make the first cut. Type of degree, where you got it, GPA, scores, etc. get first look. Anything after that is icing.

I agree with porkbunsrule. Some stuff you can just leave on your CV. The only student organization related items that I included on my application was if I did some volunteer/community work through the organizations. I mentioned that I volunteered as part of my student organization in these instances.

Hey guys
I've been lurking on these forums forever now, and thought it was finally time to make my first post!

I just took the GRE, and was extremely disappointed with my scores (164V, 164Q)- I expected a much higher score in verbal :( Are these scores decent enough for applying to the top 10 SPHs, or should I be taking the exam again?

Another huge concern that's giving me sleepless nights is my lack of work experience.:oops: I just graduated in a health related field (GPA- 3.7), and while my course had a year of mandatory internship as a graduation requirement, my public health related field work is mostly limited to volunteering at health camps and starting an anti tobacco initiative at my college. Oh, and a government award/grant for starting up a company with a public health focus:) Do I have a shot at UCLA or JHSPH or am I just being too ambitious?

I'd really appreciate some honest feedback. Thanks guys!:)

Hopkins will be difficult to gain admissions - if we are talking about the MPH specifically. The avg age of MPH students is 29, suggesting significant experience and/or advanced degrees following college. In fact, about half are physicians, are in med school, or some other profession. There is also a requirement of at least 2 yrs after college of health related work (unless you have or are working towards an advanced degree).

...UCLA is easier. :D

...and the scores are fine.

Hopkins will be difficult to gain admissions - if we are talking about the MPH specifically. The avg age of MPH students is 29, suggesting significant experience and/or advanced degrees following college. In fact, about half are physicians, are in med school, or some other profession. There is also a requirement of at least 2 yrs after college of health related work (unless you have or are working towards an advanced degree).

...UCLA is easier. :D

...and the scores are fine.
How about Harvard?
What's their ave. age and the group diversity?
I have two masters in social work and medical science. Also, I'm a army med operations officer, plus extensive research assistance experience in health disparity, mental health and of course volunteer stuff. Thanks all for sharing eh!

How about Harvard?
What's their ave. age and the group diversity?
I have two masters in social work and medical science. Also, I'm a army med operations officer, plus extensive research assistance experience in health disparity, mental health and of course volunteer stuff. Thanks all for sharing eh!

...the same. The avg age of incoming student is 29. Diversity? The admit rate of the MPH program is actually high, about 50% who applied got admitted. (This varies across the concentrations/tracks.) But the program specifically outlines that MPH applicants must have doctoral-level degrees (PhD, MD, etc.) OR an equivalent master's degree with three years of related experience OR med students taking a year "off" to pursue the MPH. Competition is stringent with 50th%-ile in the 160s on verbal and in the high 150s on the quantitative. Anything above a 4.5 on the writing is always good. But this is the 50th%-ile, suggesting that competitive applicants score on the higher end. A third of the class is international students.

...personally, Hopkins is the better school, but Harvard is harder to get into.

...the same. The avg age of incoming student is 29. Diversity? The admit rate of the MPH program is actually high, about 50% who applied got admitted. (This varies across the concentrations/tracks.) But the program specifically outlines that MPH applicants must have doctoral-level degrees (PhD, MD, etc.) OR an equivalent master's degree with three years of related experience OR med students taking a year "off" to pursue the MPH. Competition is stringent with 50th%-ile in the 160s on verbal and in the high 150s on the quantitative. Anything above a 4.5 on the writing is always good. But this is the 50th%-ile, suggesting that competitive applicants score on the higher end. A third of the class is international students.

...personally, Hopkins is the better school, but Harvard is harder to get into.
Thank you porkbunsrule!
Do you know if either JH or Harvard is military friendly?
Anyone?

MHA anyone?

I'm planning on applying to USC, Xavier, Scranton and Cornell.

USC is probably a reach...I really like the way Xavier has their program set up and Scranton is my safety even though there is no such thing as a safety when it comes to graduate schools!

MHA anyone?

I'm planning on applying to USC, Xavier, Scranton and Cornell.

USC is probably a reach...I really like the way Xavier has their program set up and Scranton is my safety even though there is no such thing as a safety when it comes to graduate schools!

I'm applying to UNC, Ohio State and Cornell.

Really hoping for UNC.

Have you heard anything about Cornell? I've been told that it is an extremely overrated program simply because it is at an ivy league school.

Thank you porkbunsrule!
Do you know if either JH or Harvard is military friendly?
Anyone?

I haven't noticed much of a military presence at Hopkins, but I know several students who have come from technical branches within the Navy and other areas. Though it's not prevalent, you will likely find a community of military servicemen and women if you seek it out.

hi there!

first of all nice stats-just looking at them i can confidently say that you have a great chance with GWU. They had an online info session seminar today and went over their student profile-which is the exact same stats as yours :)

I'm pretty sure you have a great chance with all the programs but GWU is one that i can be confident of.

Good luck! Im applying to GWU but my gpa is subpar (2.7ish) and I'm hoping my GRE (taking it early Nov) will be my saving grace!!

-----
EDIT-the GRE scores for the student profile was in the 60th percentile so you are above that

Thank you so much for the info! I've heard Personal Statements and any experience you have in the field can make up for less than stellar GPA's. Good luck!

Hello! Im a UNC graduate as well so I just wanted to say hello! Im applying there for the MSPH in Health Policy and management :)

Hi! Great to see another Tar Heel on here! What year did you graduate? I'm class of 2012.

I'm a dental student looking to take a leave of absence b/t 3rd and 4th year to pursue the MPH at Harvard. I was actually admitted to Harvard dental but found that it is not the best clinical school and chose to attend elsewhere. But I would LOVE to get my MPH from Harvard and take courses from Paul Farmer (personal hero) and the like. I'm on scholarship with the NHSC so the only time I could do the MPH before my 4 year service commitment after school would actually be during dental school.

That being said, does anyone have any sort of relative experience of doing the med/dental mid-school route or any info on admissions rates/factors?

Im class of 2011, I took some time off to work and study for the GRE, I really hope to get back into UNC but GWU is my second choice! What did you major in?

Hi! Great to see another Tar Heel on here! What year did you graduate? I'm class of 2012.[/QUOTE]

Im class of 2011, I took some time off to work and study for the GRE, I really hope to get back into UNC but GWU is my second choice! What did you major in?

If you are interested in global health, I wanted to put the word out there regarding University of California San Francisco MS in Global Health Sciences. I am not endorsing them in any way since I am applying for next fall. However, it is something to think about if you are interested in global health specifically.

The program is fairly new, maybe 4-5 years since inception. The coursework seems strong and robust. There are bios of past and current students, as well. This, in particular, I have found helpful. It gives a sense of the kind of students they accept into the program.

...and UCSF is an excellent health institution to boot.