2013 Public Health Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
i had the same problem, got the same email. i sent a screenshot of my sophas page, showing that it has been sent to BU. the next day, they told me they found my GRE scores after searching more thoroughly

They're as frazzled as many of us are, perhaps. :D

Members don't see this ad.

Can I just say that the people at the LSHTM are nice? :D

...makes you want to really go there. ;)

Congratulations on LSTMH, @porkbunsrule. My primary interest is in neglected tropical diseases, and would LOVE to go there!

Despite what people say, I think LSTMH is very well known here in the US and has an excellent reputation. You would also have the advantage of gaining a degree from a school well known in Europe as well.

Members don't see this ad :)
Congratulations on LSTMH, @porkbunsrule. My primary interest is in neglected tropical diseases, and would LOVE to go there!

Despite what people say, I think LSTMH is very well known here in the US and has an excellent reputation. You would also have the advantage of gaining a degree from a school well known in Europe as well.

Thank you! LSHTM is actually high on my list, and I agree, it has worldwide reputation.

can i know what it is that people say? i want to know the public (mis)concept(ion) of schools.. i focused on applying to US universities for this year.. haven't really considered applying to other countries..

Does anyone have any advice on post-MPH education? I am super excited to get my MPH (hopefully I will get in somewhere this year!), but I am also thinking that I might want to continue my education with a doctoral degree later on. Is it a common thing to get an MPH (Epi) then go for a PhD (Epi)? Are most programs fully funded?

Does anyone have any advice on post-MPH education? I am super excited to get my MPH (hopefully I will get in somewhere this year!), but I am also thinking that I might want to continue my education with a doctoral degree later on. Is it a common thing to get an MPH (Epi) then go for a PhD (Epi)? Are most programs fully funded?

Competitive PhD's are typically fully funded. DrPH programs are less so.

can i know what it is that people say? i want to know the public (mis)concept(ion) of schools.. i focused on applying to US universities for this year.. haven't really considered applying to other countries..

I'm wondering if LSHTM teaches a curriculum that is equally applicable to the US health system. I know the fundamental are the same, but health law and public policy strategies are very different in the USA vs UK...

I'm wondering if LSHTM teaches a curriculum that is equally applicable to the US health system. I know the fundamental are the same, but health law and public policy strategies are very different in the USA vs UK...

The primary reason why I am applying to LSHTM is because the whole curriculum has a global perspective. I agree, health law/policies different between the US and the UK, for obvious reasons. However, public health as it is taught at LSHTM is globally focused; for them, public health is global health. I am also applying to a program specific to mental health, so this is another advantage to the program. It is rare for US public health schools to integrate mental health into public health, which I find odd.

We hate mentally ill people. It's an American tradition.

I have a general 'which is better' question about the MPH programs. I've been admitted to :

Imperial College (MPH-Global Health), LSHTM (Health Promotion) and Columbia's Sociomedical Sciences (certificate in Global PH).

Obviously, the international side of the course is very important to me but I'm also looking to get a solid foundation in practical skills (Biostats, Epi, etc) that I missed out on in undergrad. If I were planning on pursuing a PhD afterwards (in Epi/Global Health), which of these would provide the best MPH, in your opinions?

Thanks!