2013 Public Health Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
thank you :)

Members don't see this ad.

Does anyone know if UCLA has specific prompts/questions to be addressed in the statement of purpose? The program website requires the essay but does not offer any guideline.

If not - and it accepts the "general" prompt from SOPHAS - does anyone know what the questions are from SOPHAS? All the schools I am applying to have specific questions and word limits. UCLA is the only one whose guideline I cannot find.
Thanks! :D

***If anyone is interested and looking for Yale's question(s), let me know. I could not find it and had to finally ask. They got back to me quickly.***

Hello. First post in this forum!

i'm planning to apply to about 8-10 programs. i'm leaning more towards Epidemiology! :).

i've done my GRE and i'm basically still doing my research on various programs in order to narrow my list down from about 15 schools.

i probably would need some advice on cost of living in a few cities e.t.c from you guys on this thread, because im an international applicant. i hope you guys won't mind. :)

cheers!

Members don't see this ad :)
hi guys
my first post in the forum, just joined
i am an M.D. from indonesia
only 3,4 GPA, currently studying for GRE hoping it would enhance my acceptance rates
i'm leaning towards health policy and management (HPM), hoping i could contribute much in health system in Indonesia

you guys have any information regarding great schools in HPM? some schools are quite popular for HPM but offers MPP degree (master of public policy), while i was leaning towards MPH degree. i dont know if the degree difference would be an impact for job opportunities here in Indonesia (note: MPH degree is quite known since our minister of health is also an MPH)

btw, i plan to apply to top US schools (harvard, yale, princeton [MPP], berkeley, ucla, johnshopkins), i try not to apply to less popular schools as many testimonies shows regret going to "second-choice"schools.. any comments?

regards

hi guys
my first post in the forum, just joined
i am an M.D. from indonesia
only 3,4 GPA, currently studying for GRE hoping it would enhance my acceptance rates
i'm leaning towards health policy and management (HPM), hoping i could contribute much in health system in Indonesia

you guys have any information regarding great schools in HPM? some schools are quite popular for HPM but offers MPP degree (master of public policy), while i was leaning towards MPH degree. i dont know if the degree difference would be an impact for job opportunities here in Indonesia (note: MPH degree is quite known since our minister of health is also an MPH)

btw, i plan to apply to top US schools (harvard, yale, princeton [MPP], berkeley, ucla, johnshopkins), i try not to apply to less popular schools as many testimonies shows regret going to "second-choice"schools.. any comments?

regards

I am also applying to health policy programs. It looks like you have a great list of schools. I encourage you to look into Boston University. It is not often in people's radar, and truth be told, it is not considered in the "top-tiered." However, BU has a strong health policy focus, and BU's law school was the first in the U.S. to offer a focus in healthcare law. True, this is not about law school applications, but you can see why the health policy focus at the public health school may be an excellent option. (I am applying to all the school on your list except for Princeton. I looked at the MPPs there and in other schools. An MPH is more appropriate for me.)

If you aim to return to Indonesia, I agree about going to a top-tiered school. If you plan to work in an international body or in health governance (e.g., WHO, UN), I think the ranking matters less than if you were in-country. This is all speculation. It sounds like you have some knowledge already about where graduates may head to after a pubic health degree. That's always helpful. If you look at international bodies and or health governance, I think most people in positions of leadership have a MPH, not MPP. Good luck! :D

hey thanks for the reply, porkbunsrule. really helpful. i'll PM you to get to know you better :)

anyway, here in indonesia we need to pay our healthcare expenses by our own. i want to make contributions so that in the future we may have universal coverage most developed countries already have. some people say that policies about universal health coverage are best studied in the UK and europe, as the USA is yet to implement them fully.. any comments?

i also interested in tackling reproductive health problems such as HIV/AIDS, and i can also see that in my career projection. however i plan on focusing in health policy (not reproductive health) so that i could climb the leadership ladder to reach high positions.. good call/bad call?

i am quite interested in johns hopkins' program, which allows us to study all the basics (epid, biostat, healthcare management, environmental, etc), then we choose one area to specialize. that way we have broader perspective on public health as a whole. would you prefer such program rather than studying specific area of study only? any comments on this? do you have infos any other programs that offers broad basic learning plus specialization like JHSPH?

regards

What do people think about including a "personal" section in a CV? It is common in resumes, but I wonder how common it is in CV's (e.g., interests, hobbies, etc.).

What did Yale say their questions were? And I'm looking for UCLA too. I'll post if I find anything.

Does anyone know if UCLA has specific prompts/questions to be addressed in the statement of purpose? The program website requires the essay but does not offer any guideline.

If not - and it accepts the "general" prompt from SOPHAS - does anyone know what the questions are from SOPHAS? All the schools I am applying to have specific questions and word limits. UCLA is the only one whose guideline I cannot find.
Thanks! :D

***If anyone is interested and looking for Yale's question(s), let me know. I could not find it and had to finally ask. They got back to me quickly.***

What did Yale say their questions were? And I'm looking for UCLA too. I'll post if I find anything.

This is a response to an email. I also asked about the global health concentration.

We are finalizing the exact wording for this year’s personal statement, but generally speaking the personal statement is your opportunity to tell us your story and go beyond the numbers inherent in test scores and GPAs. It should clearly define your focus and commitment to public health. It should also clarify why an MPH, why Yale and why the division you have chosen are important to you. The length should be no longer than two pages.
As for applying to global health, you will be asked to provide an essay which describes your previous experiences that are most relevant to your application for the global health concentration, your current professional goals and why you wish to complete the concentration.

Thanks so much!

This is a response to an email. I also asked about the global health concentration.

We are finalizing the exact wording for this year’s personal statement, but generally speaking the personal statement is your opportunity to tell us your story and go beyond the numbers inherent in test scores and GPAs. It should clearly define your focus and commitment to public health. It should also clarify why an MPH, why Yale and why the division you have chosen are important to you. The length should be no longer than two pages.
As for applying to global health, you will be asked to provide an essay which describes your previous experiences that are most relevant to your application for the global health concentration, your current professional goals and why you wish to complete the concentration.

I graduated from UCSB '11 as a global studies major and am currently working for a child care non profit as a case manager. Prior to case management I was a volunteer at Planned Parenthood as an administrative and outreach volunteer. I am about to start CERT classes this week to gain a first responders point of view during emergencies and to continue to add some public health experience to my belt.
I'm interested in emergency preparedness and disaster relief in California and will hopefully get to work internationally as well. I am set on getting into USC's new MPH environmental health track (Spring '13 *crosses fingers*). Initially I was interested in Tulane's Environmental Health MPH, but after much thought it'd be more beneficial for me in the long run to establish my professional network in the state that is my home base. I also live pretty close to USC, so it would actually save me a nice chunk of money :D
Is there anyone who is currently in or will also be applying to USC? Tell me about yourself!
Any advice for me? My application is due October 1st!

-Jenn

Hey Guys, SOPHAS opens on 18TH and it will start taking documents only after that. How do you plan to send your documents. I am a international student and I gather that my school has to send my transcript, so my school can send it only after 9/18? And we start filling the application after 9/18 right? So what do we do now - apart from essay? I wish to apply for spring session and I spoke with somebody in SOPHAS, they said since programs have early deadline for spring session - they will take my application first and my other document will be sent as and when available.

Very new to the process, help me understand pls.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey Guys, SOPHAS opens on 18TH and it will start taking documents only after that. How do you plan to send your documents. I am a international student and I gather that my school has to send my transcript, so my school can send it only after 9/18? And we start filling the application after 9/18 right? So what do we do now - apart from essay? I wish to apply for spring session and I spoke with somebody in SOPHAS, they said since programs have early deadline for spring session - they will take my application first and my other document will be sent as and when available.

Very new to the process, help me understand pls

Very new to the process, help me understand pls

Joylabella,

1. Go to the SOPHAS website.
2. Click Prepare to Apply.
3. Click Getting Started Checklist (International Applicants).

The SOPHAS does a good job of outlining what is needed. Just speaking to your transcripts question, the transcript request form is from SOPHAS itself. This facilitates easier submission and recording of what arrived. Recommendation letters are also something you have control; request them now. Once you include your writers' information on the SOPHAS (when it opens), then they will be ready to click on the links and upload those letters. Overall, my recommendation is to be very well aware of time given you are an international student and applying to the spring session. Good luck!

Joylabella,

1. Go to the SOPHAS website.
2. Click Prepare to Apply.
3. Click Getting Started Checklist (International Applicants).

The SOPHAS does a good job of outlining what is needed. Just speaking to your transcripts question, the transcript request form is from SOPHAS itself. This facilitates easier submission and recording of what arrived. Recommendation letters are also something you have control; request them now. Once you include your writers' information on the SOPHAS (when it opens), then they will be ready to click on the links and upload those letters. Overall, my recommendation is to be very well aware of time given you are an international student and applying to the spring session. Good luck!
Thanks Porkbunsrule. Helps a lot.

Last edited:
You should decide now if you want Epi or Healthcare management.

By looking at your list of schools it seems like you prefer a career in Epi than in healthcare management.

Hi All! I am applying this year - still up in the air between Epi and Health Management - very different, I know. I did poorly in Calculus in undergrad so I am thinking that might hurt me for Epi programs.

Background; 3.45 GPA, worked in research for 3 years; 2 years full time senior study coordinator; 3 abstract presentations internationally; 1 first authored publication; some volunteering; full time jobs through undergrad; interested in management, policy and epi

I am taking the GRE the first week in Oct - maybe a tad earlier. I feel really behind!

So far the list of schools I am applying to:
Harvard {Epi of Aging or HPM}
Yale {Epi or HPM}
Columbia {HPM}
Brown {HPM}
BU {Epi}

Does anyone have any advice for more/different schools? I like schools with a part-time option and the lowest cost possible. Funding would be amazing.

Also - how do you handle making your letter writers send multiple letters to different schools if they do not use SOPHAS?

You should decide now if you want Epi or Healthcare management.

By looking at your list of schools it seems like you prefer a career in Epi than in healthcare management.

I'm curious, why do you say that?
I am leaning more towards HPM for consulting. I am concerned my poor science grades will keep me out of some Epi programs and it is not the ideal degree for consulting.

Hey All, I am here out of extreme confusion :scared:. I am very interested in the Epidemiology program in Columbia but the only concern i have is my GPA which is 3.15. I have 2 years worth of research experience. I am taking my GRE next month which i am pretty confident that i will do well. But i was wondering if i have a chance of getting into a decent MPH program. Any specific school recommendation will be helpful!

Thanks in Advance!:)

I want to encourage folks to look into the application thread from last year:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?p=12059938

It offers valuable information well into the swing of the application period. Some posted their "stats" (e.g., GRE scores, GPA, undergrad school, experience, etc.). There tends to be a lot of questions around "chances," so the thread may be helpful. Not exactly a direct correlation, not least of which is the increasing competitiveness of admissions across programs. It is a very useful thread nonetheless. Good luck! :)

***Some time in late October/early November I will start a similar thread. For now let's keep to this General thread.***

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi guys,

I was accepted to Long Island University. Has anyone gone to this program, or heard anything about the program? I know that they were founded only 3 years ago, but more than that i don't know.

hi all
I am a dentist.does anybody know basic difference between cv and resume.and are these different when applying for a job and admission to a course.i might sound dumb but havnt writen any for the admission.can anybody through light on it.what to write ,which format to follow.can you provide me with a sample.would be very grateful.need help.
thanx in advance
:confused:

hi all
I am a dentist.does anybody know basic difference between cv and resume.and are these different when applying for a job and admission to a course.i might sound dumb but havnt writen any for the admission.can anybody through light on it.what to write ,which format to follow.can you provide me with a sample.would be very grateful.need help.
thanx in advance
:confused:

You can Google the differences between the two, but speaking broadly, a CV is typically used to secure positions in academia, whereas a resume is used to obtain positions in industry (i.e., not in academia). Here are some links:

Harvard: http://www.ocs.fas.harvard.edu/students/gsas/gsas_CVs_justforscientists.pdf

Columbia: http://www.careereducation.columbia...ets/resumes-and-cvs-converting-your-cv-resume

Johns Hopkins: http://www.jhu.edu/careers/students/handouts/cv.pdf

You will notice that the general format for either one is more or less the same across types of CVs and resumes (with regards to length, content, etc.). All CVs are almost always longer than resumes, for instance. However, the actual specific formatting, such as headings, subheadings, etc., can vary. I do not think this really matter. It is easy to distinguish a CV from a resume, and vice versa, from the first page. Good luck!

thanx alot for guidance porkbunsrule.................u rock!

How is University of Medicine and Dentistry, New Jersey, guys? I found only one program which takes students for spring session plus waives GRE and TOFLE for ECFMG certified students (taken USMLE steps already). After readinf last year's thread.. I realized hardly anyone applies to the school. Is it that bad? I am applying to epidemiology and have a degree in medicine from home country, and probably only applying to this one program.. do you think I'll get accepted? And if I do.. how is the school?

I am not taking the GRE until the 2nd week in October and I can't find anywhere if this is too late for 12/15 deadlines! Thoughts?

I am not taking the GRE until the 2nd week in October and I can't find anywhere if this is too late for 12/15 deadlines! Thoughts?

I am not taking it until the 3rd week of October. I am sure you will be fine. :D

Scoring takes about 2 weeks, which in your case would take you to (maybe) early November. Also, scores are sent directly to the school. So, if you designate names on the day of the test (preferably those schools that have the December deadlines), they should receive the scores well before the 15th. (I am assuming you are taking the computer-based version.) You can conceivably take the exam as late as mid-November and still make a mid-December deadline.

There is a thread here (somewhere) about last year's fiasco due to the changes to the exam. I think many folks had concerns about potential delays. However, I am confident that this has been addressed. Also, it may be cumbersome, but if you take a closer look at program websites, some will actually state when is the latest that they believe the GRE can be taken and still arrive on time. Good luck!

I am not taking it until the 3rd week of October. I am sure you will be fine. :D

Scoring takes about 2 weeks, which in your case would take you to (maybe) early November. Also, scores are sent directly to the school. So, if you designate names on the day of the test (preferably those schools that have the December deadlines), they should receive the scores well before the 15th. (I am assuming you are taking the computer-based version.) You can conceivably take the exam as late as mid-November and still make a mid-December deadline.

There is a thread here (somewhere) about last year's fiasco due to the changes to the exam. I think many folks had concerns about potential delays. However, I am confident that this has been addressed. Also, it may be cumbersome, but if you take a closer look at program websites, some will actually state when is the latest that they believe the GRE can be taken and still arrive on time. Good luck!

Thanks so much! I registered for Oct 19 :)

How important is the gre writing score? I ask because my quantitative and verbal scores were less than what I wanted but my writing score was outstanding (96 percentile!). As an English major, I'm emphasizing my writing skills in my application. Do you guys think my V/Q scores are going to hold me back? Is my writing score even worth anything? I'm applying to MPH and MHA programs with an emphasis on policy and management.

Also can anyone give tips on my personal statement? I've been writing about internships, extracurriculars, and my professional/academic skills. Anything else I should touch upon?

Lastly, when should I request that my undergraduate university send out my transcripts? I expect I should do it well before I complete my application (maybe two weeks before?). I'm applying by October 5th, btw. Thanks guys, you're an amazing resource to have as I apply to graduate programs

Last edited:
How important is the gre writing score? I ask because my quantitative and verbal scores were less than what I wanted (72 percentile V and 67 percentile Q) but my writing score was outstanding (96 percentile!). As an English major, I'm emphasizing my writing skills in my application. Do you guys think my V/Q scores are going to hold me back? Is my writing score even worth anything? I'm applying to MPH and MHA programs with an emphasis on policy and management.

Also can anyone give tips on my personal statement? I've been writing about internships, extracurriculars, and my professional/academic skills. Anything else I should touch upon?

Lastly, when should I request that my undergraduate university send out my transcripts? I expect I should do it well before I complete my application (maybe two weeks before?). I'm applying by October 5th, btw. Thanks guys, you're an amazing resource to have as I apply to graduate programs

I am applying to health policy, as well. It may vary across programs, but (I think) strong quantitative skills are key. (Of course, this is true for all the concentrations/tracks.) Policy curriculum can be heavy on economics, statistics, and epidemiology (again, true for most concentrations/tracks). Health policies take into account the political economy of communities; so, quantitative abilities are important. As for your score, I cannot judge that. I can only speak generally about what I have found from programs.

In my personal statement, I keep it short and to the point. I avoid adjectives and adverbs whenever possible. I try to use active voice, not passive voice. Even when the limits are more than 2 pages (i.e., 4000+ characters), I still try to keep it to 2 pages. (The only exception I make is when they ask for a supplemental essay or if they ask question(s) that were not addressed in the first 2 pages - and mind you, all programs practically ask the same questions.) I am big believer that if you have not said it within 2 pages, you will never say it. Short and to the point.

Also, I rarely go into detail about my academic background/experience. This is what the (damn) CV/resume is for. I mention my experience/academic background only in so far as I am making a clear connection as to why my background prepared me for that particular program/concentration/school. There is no sense (in my view) in regurgitating material that is clearly shown in your CV/resume. Extrapolate, make connections. It is important to make a strong argument for why you and the program/school match. Research the program, mention a class/research/initiative that is happening in the program/school. (I do not ever mention a professor's name only because between now and September, he/she may no longer be there.) Also, speak to your longer term goals. Be explicit and honest. Be hopeful but not broad. "I am interested in health governance in developing countries" is better than "I hope to save the children of the world." Lastly, speak to your strengths and how/what you can contribute to the program - and be explicit. Everyone and their mother will be writing about their time in Africa or Peace Corps or community service or this/that. These are all strengths, but are these unique to you? What are lessons learned that you can bring to class discussion/debate that are unique to you?

Last LAST, I do not ever start with a quote or an anecdote. That is what college admissions essays are for. This is grad school.

Is anyone else excited/anxious that SOPHAs opens in less than a week?!

Is anyone else excited/anxious that SOPHAS opens in less than a week?!
Frustrated.

I want to get my application going asap. I've just started writing my statement of purpose. trying to write like an 'American and not like a Brit' is really hard.

Does anyone know whether there is scope to write individual statements of purpose for different institutions?

Just keep reading that I need to discuss why I'm applying to X or Y institution in the SoP.

Frustrated.

I want to get my application going asap. I've just started writing my statement of purpose. trying to write like an 'American and not like a Brit' is really hard.

Does anyone know whether there is scope to write individual statements of purpose for different institutions?

Just keep reading that I need to discuss why I'm applying to X or Y institution in the SoP.

Yes, according to SOPHAS: Should I write a different essay for each school that I apply to? Yes, you should personalize your essays. If you choose to use the same essay, you may copy and paste the same essay for each designated school. However, applicants are strongly encouraged to tailor their essays for each school.

...and it's a very good idea. You will be able to upload each essay onto SOPHAS.

Yes, according to SOPHAS: Should I write a different essay for each school that I apply to? Yes, you should personalize your essays. If you choose to use the same essay, you may copy and paste the same essay for each designated school. However, applicants are strongly encouraged to tailor their essays for each school.

...and it's a very good idea. You will be able to upload each essay onto SOPHAS.
Cheers, didn't spot that in the FAQs.

Do folks have thoughts about how I can move forward?

Hopkins had been on my original list of schools. The full-time program starts in June 2013. I cannot make this date because my postdoc fellowship does not end until late August. After getting advise from both the part-time and full-time academic coordinators at Hopkins, I learned that it was possible to start in the part-time/internet-based program and then switch to full-time status in the fall. I would have to take 2 weeks off from my fellowship in order to attend the one-day orientation in the summer and the 2-week intensive coursework on-campus. (This is possible provided I do not use my vacation days until next summer - and of course, by then it would not be much of a vacation.)

After my fellowship I was told to take a full courseload, which would still make it possible to finish the program in 11 months (i.e., as if I had been a full-time student). At the same time, I was warned that taking a full courseload in the fall does not mean I am a full-time student in the traditional sense. They reason that full-time students who start in the summer take courses together as a cohort. I technically would not be part of this cohort and would not necessarily be offered the same classes. Because it is a 11-month school year for full-time students, some classes are only offered during certain terms. (However, I rationalize this potential concern by telling myself that so much of the courses at Hopkins are interdisciplinary that I could take different classes and still a) fulfill my concentration/focus and b) meet my interests.)

Part of my concern is not being able to be part of the cohort. While a part-time/internet-based would be a rich experience (and Hopkins insists that there are no differences between part-time and full-time programs in terms of quality), I wonder if not being on-campus during summer term would sort of mean I "missed out on something." Should I go ahead and apply anyway?

Thoughts? Feedback? Shout outs? :D

...ugh, I am on fire this morning! :D

This is a potentially sensitive question, but I will bring it up. For those with advanced degrees/experience (i.e., MDs, doctoral degrees, or master-level folks w/ significant experience), what does it mean to you, if anything, when a school admits a good number of students either out of undergrad or with "only some" experience?

***I am in no way suggesting that those who do admit them or not admit them are better or worse than others.***

This question is coming up for me because UCSF's Global Health Sciences is on my radar. UCSF is an excellent school, and though the degree program itself is fairly new (maybe 4 years), it seems to be offering excellent training. However, I am taking a closer look at the bios of former students/alumni. My sense is that a good majority are recent undergraduates or were admitted sometime soon after graduating from college. There are exceptions, of course, but these appear far and few in between. It is telling, for instance, that a good number plan to pursue an advanced degree or a MD after the Global Health Sciences program.

Am I alone in thinking that there is "just something different" about a program that largely accepts students with advanced degrees than a program that accepts students right out of college and/or with limited relevant experience? Again, not better or worse - just different.

***This may be a sensitive issue to address here publicly. So, feel free to PM me, as well. :)***

do folks have thoughts about how i can move forward?

Hopkins had been on my original list of schools. The full-time program starts in june 2013. I cannot make this date because my postdoc fellowship does not end until late august. After getting advise from both the part-time and full-time academic coordinators at hopkins, i learned that it was possible to start in the part-time/internet-based program and then switch to full-time status in the fall. I would have to take 2 weeks off from my fellowship in order to attend the one-day orientation in the summer and the 2-week intensive coursework on-campus. (this is possible provided i do not use my vacation days until next summer - and of course, by then it would not be much of a vacation.)

after my fellowship i was told to take a full courseload, which would still make it possible to finish the program in 11 months (i.e., as if i had been a full-time student). At the same time, i was warned that taking a full courseload in the fall does not mean i am a full-time student in the traditional sense. They reason that full-time students who start in the summer take courses together as a cohort. I technically would not be part of this cohort and would not necessarily be offered the same classes. Because it is a 11-month school year for full-time students, some classes are only offered during certain terms. (however, i rationalize this potential concern by telling myself that so much of the courses at hopkins are interdisciplinary that i could take different classes and still a) fulfill my concentration/focus and b) meet my interests.)

part of my concern is not being able to be part of the cohort. While a part-time/internet-based would be a rich experience (and hopkins insists that there are no differences between part-time and full-time programs in terms of quality), i wonder if not being on-campus during summer term would sort of mean i "missed out on something." should i go ahead and apply anyway?

Thoughts? Feedback? Shout outs? :hungover:

apply!!!! :hungover:

Do folks have thoughts about how I can move forward?

Hopkins had been on my original list of schools. The full-time program starts in June 2013. I cannot make this date because my postdoc fellowship does not end until late August. After getting advise from both the part-time and full-time academic coordinators at Hopkins, I learned that it was possible to start in the part-time/internet-based program and then switch to full-time status in the fall. I would have to take 2 weeks off from my fellowship in order to attend the one-day orientation in the summer and the 2-week intensive coursework on-campus. (This is possible provided I do not use my vacation days until next summer - and of course, by then it would not be much of a vacation.)

After my fellowship I was told to take a full courseload, which would still make it possible to finish the program in 11 months (i.e., as if I had been a full-time student). At the same time, I was warned that taking a full courseload in the fall does not mean I am a full-time student in the traditional sense. They reason that full-time students who start in the summer take courses together as a cohort. I technically would not be part of this cohort and would not necessarily be offered the same classes. Because it is a 11-month school year for full-time students, some classes are only offered during certain terms. (However, I rationalize this potential concern by telling myself that so much of the courses at Hopkins are interdisciplinary that I could take different classes and still a) fulfill my concentration/focus and b) meet my interests.)

Part of my concern is not being able to be part of the cohort. While a part-time/internet-based would be a rich experience (and Hopkins insists that there are no differences between part-time and full-time programs in terms of quality), I wonder if not being on-campus during summer term would sort of mean I "missed out on something." Should I go ahead and apply anyway?

Thoughts? Feedback? Shout outs? :D

I have the same problem, though I finish work at the start of August.

Apply.

I've had a good discussion with the guys at Hopkins and am convinced that this isn't enough of an issue to count them out.

Yaaaay. SOPHAS opens in a bit. Wish us all luck. Cheers.
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

"SOPHAS is now closed for the 2011-2012 admissions cycle. SOPHAS will reopen on September 18."

It is now the 18th. Open up already...

Hello everybody,
quick question. does anybody have any idea what tulane MPH Epi department want to see in the statement of purpose?
i've gone through their website with a fine toothcomb, but i cant seem to find it.

thanks!

p.s: just realised SOPHAS opens today! i'm quaking in my boots here.

Good luck everybody!

Just to let you all know, as I have researched this extensively and looked at past blogs, you have to send your GRE scores to EVERY school. In the past, you sent it to one participating SOPHAS school and they sent it to SOPHAS who sent it out to all your other designated schools (saving you $$). Apparently now, as I talked to a representative today, you have to send your GRE scores to every school you are applying to (which I don't understand because what is the purpose of SOPHAS anyway for the official test scores). Just thought I would let you all know as I definitely would've made this mistake had I not asked.

Just to let you all know, as I have researched this extensively and looked at past blogs, you have to send your GRE scores to EVERY school. In the past, you sent it to one participating SOPHAS school and they sent it to SOPHAS who sent it out to all your other designated schools (saving you $$). Apparently now, as I talked to a representative today, you have to send your GRE scores to every school you are applying to (which I don't understand because what is the purpose of SOPHAS anyway for the official test scores). Just thought I would let you all know as I definitely would've made this mistake had I not asked.

Can confirm.

SOPHAS aren't authorised to send GRE scores to an institution that hasn't already received an official record from ETS.

I knew this before I applied, but I'm mildly irritated at the money spinning involved in graduate applications.

I have a work experience question for the SOPHAS application, would you include experience that is not health related? or only that which is most relevant to the degree you are pursuing?:confused:

I have a work experience question for the SOPHAS application, would you include experience that is not health related? or only that which is most relevant to the degree you are pursuing?:confused:

I think it includes both. When I looked at the instructions button on the research and work experience section , it said to include experience but not limited to that in public health.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN Mobile app

It depends on a lot of things...

What is/was the job? How long were you in it? What was your role? Is the job included in your CV/resume? Are we talking about part-time work at the local cafe, or are we talking driving the rover Curiosity?

Many people do not have pubic health related experiencer per se, but that should not preclude them from identifying roles and responsibilities that potentially show the kind of skills necessary for public health work.

I wasn't at my computer earlier when I replied, but here's what I copied right from SOPHAS. Hope it helps!

"In this section include all work experience, including but not limited to relevant Public Health practice and research experience. Enter your Research and Work Experience in chronological order from most recent to least recent. Listings will display in the order they were entered and cannot be re-ordered."