2013 Public Health Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

I hope it is not too early to start this thread. This is meant for all applicants (MPH, DrPH, MHA, MS, etc.) interested in degrees related to public health and are applying for the 2012-2013 application cycle for the entering class of 2013.

Questions, answers, random thoughts - all helpful and useful.

LET'S. DO. THIS! :)

Members don't see this ad.

Thanks for making this! I'm looking to get an mph right out of undergrad (going into my senior year now). How many schools do people usually apply to? I've narrowed it down to 11 but I know that's probably too many. :shrug:

I cannot really say how many programs, on average, folks apply to. I am new to this process, as well. I suppose a lot will depend on how much you are willing to pay for EACH submitted application through the SOPHAS.

Members don't see this ad :)
Do folks have thoughts about submitting either a resume or a Cv? Many programs request "resume or CV." How do you decide which to submit?

I know the difference between the two. I imagine that those applying for doctoral-level public health programs (e.g., PhD, DrPH), particularly those hoping for academic or research positions, would submit a CV. Any thoughts around competitiveness issues of submitting one over the other? Thanks in advance!

Thanks for making this! I'm looking to get an mph right out of undergrad (going into my senior year now). How many schools do people usually apply to? I've narrowed it down to 11 but I know that's probably too many. :shrug:
Hi! I have about 10-11 schools that I'm interested in, too. I think the only thing that makes a difference to me is money because it isn't cheap applying to schools! I'm in the process of researching the schools and the area the school is in so I can hopefully narrow my choices down to about 7. It's never a bad thing to apply to a few though, but that's my personal opinion.

Do folks have thoughts about submitting either a resume or a Cv? Many programs request "resume or CV." How do you decide which to submit?

I know the difference between the two. I imagine that those applying for doctoral-level public health programs (e.g., PhD, DrPH), particularly those hoping for academic or research positions, would submit a CV. Any thoughts around competitiveness issues of submitting one over the other? Thanks in advance!

I plan on submitting my CV. I asked some of my professors and that's what they have recommended to me.

Hi! I have about 10-11 schools that I'm interested in, too. I think the only thing that makes a difference to me is money because it isn't cheap applying to schools! I'm in the process of researching the schools and the area the school is in so I can hopefully narrow my choices down to about 7. It's never a bad thing to apply to a few though, but that's my personal opinion.

I calculated (from the chart on sophas) that it would be about $300 to apply to 5 schools, and $500 to apply to 10. I'm not sure if the extra money will be worth it or not..I'm just nervous I won't get in so I'll need a lot of backups haha. Any ideas for good safety schools?

If your CV has actual substance (eg. publications, posters, abstracts) in comparison to your resume, use your CV. Otherwise, use your resume.

I calculated (from the chart on sophas) that it would be about $300 to apply to 5 schools, and $500 to apply to 10. I'm not sure if the extra money will be worth it or not..I'm just nervous I won't get in so I'll need a lot of backups haha. Any ideas for good safety schools?

Analyze which schools fit your career goals and then chop off the programs that don't fit your goals. No need to apply to a bunch of programs.:thumbup:

I applied to 6 because a professor said I should have back-ups, but I would have been fine applying to 3-4. You can surely narrow down your choices more than 10-11.

I applied to 6 because a professor said I should have back-ups, but I would have been fine applying to 3-4. You can surely narrow down your choices more than 10-11.

I applied to 4 schools. I've found majority of people really only truly desire to attend about that many, so why not only apply to them. In other words don't waste $?

If you really have 10 programs that none stand above the other, you haven't researched enough. Based on culture, location, alumni connections, public health strengths/weaknesses, weather, extracurricular/internship opportunities and rankings it should be relatively easy to narrow down to at least half those schools.

Good luck.

thanks everyone! I will definitely try to cut my list in half, haha.

Thanks for making this! I'm for sure going to apply to 4 schools, and trying to decide whether a 5th one will be worth it. I'm applying to 4/5 MS programs that aren't public health related so yeah, money might be an issue very soon :scared:

Members don't see this ad :)
What are folks' thoughts around some programs' requirement to do fieldwork? More specifically, what do you think about doing a shorter-term placement (typically around 1 month) versus a longer-term practicum (as long as, in some cases, 6 months)?

All CEPH-accredited programs require that their students complete practicum or fieldwork. However, the length varies across programs. One-year, intensive MPH programs tend to require this in shorter time, for the obvious reason that the school year is short. This typically happens during the winter break. Harvard and JHSPH come to mind. Two-year programs have the "luxury" of encouraging students to do longer-term work. Columbia comes to mind.

This will vary based on our individual needs, interests, and career goals, of course. Any thoughts?

As a current MPH epi student wrapping up my summer practicum, I would say the more fieldwork you do, the better. I have learned more during this 2-month practicum than during my entire first year of coursework.I would advise everyone to think of the practicum as an extremely valuable learning opportunity and not just a requirement you have to fill to graduate.

That being said, I was extraordinarily lucky to get such a great practicum; not all of my peers were so lucky. So I guess it depends on what the practicum is.

Anyway, more is better, imo.
As for those 1-year MPH programs, I suppose they might be a good fit for some folks (especially those who already have MDs or advanced degrees), but I've always been rather skeptical of the quality of education. I'm in a 2-year program, and even that feels extremely rushed, and I wish I had more time. I can't imagine that someone can learn as much or have as many opportunities for research and work experience in just a single year.

Hey Everyone,

In regards to the Statement of Purpose, I know a PhD applicant has to list research interests and who they would like to work with, do MPH students need to do the same? Also, how do we approach the master's thesis? Thanks.

Hey Everyone,

In regards to the Statement of Purpose, I know a PhD applicant has to list research interests and who they would like to work with, do MPH students need to do the same? Also, how do we approach the master's thesis? Thanks.
Did you mean list your research interests on your CV/resume, or did you mean list, as in mention, them in your statement of purpose? And what did you mean by approach? As in, how to write it, write about it, complete it, etc.?

I am submitting my CV primarily because I hold a doctorate, but even in that, I do not list my research interests. It is obvious from reading my CV and the title of my dissertation research. I also do not plan on mentioning it on my Statement of Purpose - that is, as research interests. I hope to convey that my research interests reflect public health interests, but since an MPH (to me) is more practice-oriented than, say, a MS or PhD degree, my plan is to convey how my research interests and experience (particularly my dissertation research) are align with and inform the area(s) of public health I am interested in pursuing. This is a long-winded responses to a simple answer: No, I would not list them short of mentioning them, perhaps.

Did you mean list your research interests on your CV/resume, or did you mean list, as in mention, them in your statement of purpose? And what did you mean by approach? As in, how to write it, write about it, complete it, etc.?

I am submitting my CV primarily because I hold a doctorate, but even in that, I do not list my research interests. It is obvious from reading my CV and the title of my dissertation research. I also do not plan on mentioning it on my Statement of Purpose - that is, as research interests. I hope to convey that my research interests reflect public health interests, but since an MPH (to me) is more practice-oriented than, say, a MS or PhD degree, my plan is to convey how my research interests and experience (particularly my dissertation research) are align with and inform the area(s) of public health I am interested in pursuing. This is a long-winded responses to a simple answer: No, I would not list them short of mentioning them, perhaps.

Thanks for the quick reply! Yes, I mean should I list my research interests in my statement of purpose and to what extent? Because in a phD application, you have to tell which professor's research interests you and then they usually try to find a best fit for you. So, I guess my question is how in depth do I need to go for a MPH application? Thanks.

Thanks for the quick reply! Yes, I mean should I list my research interests in my statement of purpose and to what extent? Because in a phD application, you have to tell which professor's research interests you and then they usually try to find a best fit for you. So, I guess my question is how in depth do I need to go for a MPH application? Thanks.
I think you are right. The overall point is really to convey how your experience, interests, and career goals match the program. However, for the purposes of the MPH, I personally would not go into it in-depth. It is worth mentioning as a way to elaborate on how the research piece informs and underscores your interest in the application and practice of public health. It is also worth mentioning, in particular, when you have research experience that relates to the program and to the focus/concentration. I would be careful around going into it too much as a potential liability in appearing as if you are interested in a more research-focused program as opposed to a practice-oriented one. In addition, this will vary across programs. Some MPH programs are known to be more research-focused despite how the MPH may otherwise be regarded as more practice-focused. U of Michigan comes to mind (in my opinion). It is a difficult balance because ostensibly we are writing one Statement of Purpose through the SOPHAS, yet addressing all schools whose expectations may be varied.

I think you are right. The overall point is really to convey how your experience, interests, and career goals match the program. However, for the purposes of the MPH, I personally would not go into it in-depth. It is worth mentioning as a way to elaborate on how the research piece informs and underscores your interest in the application and practice of public health. It is also worth mentioning, in particular, when you have research experience that relates to the program and to the focus/concentration. I would be careful around going into it too much as a potential liability in appearing as if you are interested in a more research-focused program as opposed to a practice-oriented one. In addition, this will vary across programs. Some MPH programs are known to be more research-focused despite how the MPH may otherwise be regarded as more practice-focused. U of Michigan comes to mind (in my opinion). It is a difficult balance because ostensibly we are writing one Statement of Purpose through the SOPHAS, yet addressing all schools whose expectations may be varied.

This was pretty much my line of thinking as well. Maybe, hint at it, but you don't have to go as in-depth as you would with a phD application. Do you know how a thesis fits in with the MPH degree? Is it used as a capstone? Thanks.

I took the GRE in 2003 and will have to retake it. A lot has changed since then, not least of which is the ability of my iPhone to track down flashcards. I cannot speak to any phones that run on the Android OS, but here are some pointers:

1. Download the Flashcards+ app.
2. Search for the following card decks:

a. Kaplan Revised GRE Top 200 Words (180)
b. Kaplan GRE Root Words (212)
c. Kaplan GRE Word Groups (65)
d. GRE Math Reference Level 2 (19)
e. GRE Math Reference Level 3 (25).

3. Enjoy!

The numbers (#) correspond to the # of cards on that particular deck. Also, the Math Reference decks do not include Level 1 because the first level is the easiest (e.g., how to do an addition or subtraction problem). However, if you use the search function, it can be found on the deck list.

***I am not here to endorse the iPhone. I might actually switch to the Samsung Galaxy sIII in a few months, but that is a whole other forum. Please beware that these flashcards were made by the kindness of strangers. I cannot (fully) guarantee the accuracy. I have the 2011-2012 (revised) Kaplan GRE guidebook, and the cards appear to be consistent with the guidebook.***

"Painless GRE" is a good app on the Android marketplace. It helps you go through a lot of vocabulary through many different methods of testing.

Are folks aware of any programs that specifically incorporate or focus on mental health/mental disorders? There was a thread on this a few years ago. Many MPH programs have health/social behavior tracks or concentrations. Interestingly, these do not appear to integrate issues of mental disease into the curriculum. My opinion is (somewhat) biased since I am in the psychology field, but mental health should be part of public health.

There is a MSc program in Global Mental Health at the London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine. There is also a MHS in Mental Health at Johns Hopkins, but it seems more geared towards a research-focused practice.

Thoughts, feedback? :D

I know its super early but I'm still worried about financial aid and the looming build up of debt. My question is a general one; does financial aid only cover tuition, or can it also be used for housing? For example, people say Columbia costs around $67,000, is that just tuition or does that also include room and board? Thanks.

I know its super early but I'm still worried about financial aid and the looming build up of debt. My question is a general one; does financial aid only cover tuition, or can it also be used for housing? For example, people say Columbia costs around $67,000, is that just tuition or does that also include room and board? Thanks.

Federal financial aid can be used for housing, health insurance, and other living expenses. I don't know anything about Columbia, but generally a school's Cost of Attendance (COA) figures will include not only tuition, fees, and textbooks but rent and cost of living. You should be able to find a more detailed breakdown on most schools' websites.

I agree with cerealrhapsody. School websites should have specific breakdown of the cost and whether or not it includes tuition, fees, living expenses, etc. It can vary by concentration/track and by year, too.

I am also considering Columbia, and the MPH with Global Health Track is $49k at Year 1 and $17k at Year 2. Financial aid will cover both the tuition and living expenses. The school will estimate how much it would likely be to live as a graduate student in that particular area. It will use that as a way for you to borrow above and beyond the actual cost of tuition. So, if it costs, say, $20k to live in NYC and the tuition is, say, $40k, then you can borrow (federal, private loans, etc.) up to that amount. The school cannot disburse to you the living expenses portion of the loan until school has started - and in many cases, it does not disburse the amount until about 2-3 weeks later. So, many financial aid offices and websites will also state that a student should have sufficient (personal) funds to cover the first month or weeks of the school year. Good luck!

I am beginning an application (not through SOPHAS), and one of the (optional) questions is to list other schools and programs for which I am submitting an application. On a practical note, it seems to be their way of tracking where else their (potential) new students are also applying.

I wonder if folks have thoughts around what or if you would mention on the application where else you are applying. If you do not list any, does it appear favorable in that it would seem like you are only applying to their program and therefore would seem like it is your first choice? If you do list other programs, does it make you less competitive in some way or taken less seriously as an applicant?

The program is abroad, and it is actually high on my list at this moment. The application is completed online, though it is not part of the SOPHAS portal. Thanks in advance! :D

I agree with cerealrhapsody. School websites should have specific breakdown of the cost and whether or not it includes tuition, fees, living expenses, etc. It can vary by concentration/track and by year, too.

I am also considering Columbia, and the MPH with Global Health Track is $49k at Year 1 and $17k at Year 2. Financial aid will cover both the tuition and living expenses. The school will estimate how much it would likely be to live as a graduate student in that particular area. It will use that as a way for you to borrow above and beyond the actual cost of tuition. So, if it costs, say, $20k to live in NYC and the tuition is, say, $40k, then you can borrow (federal, private loans, etc.) up to that amount. The school cannot disburse to you the living expenses portion of the loan until school has started - and in many cases, it does not disburse the amount until about 2-3 weeks later. So, many financial aid offices and websites will also state that a student should have sufficient (personal) funds to cover the first month or weeks of the school year. Good luck!

Thanks for putting my mind at ease, porkbunsrule and cerealrhapsody. I was pretty sure this is how financial aid was set up but for some reason I started panicking yesterday after trying to figure out room and board costs. Nonetheless, it is still very expensive, but I guess you have to view it as an investment.
Also, good point about the school not disbursing the money for a little bit. After tuition is covered, is the rest of the money given to the student via checks? Thanks.

I am beginning an application (not through SOPHAS), and one of the (optional) questions is to list other schools and programs for which I am submitting an application. On a practical note, it seems to be their way of tracking where else their (potential) new students are also applying.

I wonder if folks have thoughts around what or if you would mention on the application where else you are applying. If you do not list any, does it appear favorable in that it would seem like you are only applying to their program and therefore would seem like it is your first choice? If you do list other programs, does it make you less competitive in some way or taken less seriously as an applicant?

The program is abroad, and it is actually high on my list at this moment. The application is completed online, though it is not part of the SOPHAS portal. Thanks in advance! :D

This question has always bothered me too. Let's stick with Columbia for example, since both of us are interested in the school. If Columbia asks this question on their application (which I know they don't since its SOPHAS) it always seems to me as if they're comparing themselves to the other schools you list as your answer to their question.
So, if I'm applying to Columbia and I list four other non-ivy league schools as my answer to their question they might think that Columbia is my "reach" school even if thats not the case. I don't know if I'm making sense at this point. Long story short, the question bothers me because what do they care which other schools I'm applying to?

Are folks aware of any programs that specifically incorporate or focus on mental health/mental disorders? There was a thread on this a few years ago. Many MPH programs have health/social behavior tracks or concentrations. Interestingly, these do not appear to integrate issues of mental disease into the curriculum. My opinion is (somewhat) biased since I am in the psychology field, but mental health should be part of public health.

There is a MSc program in Global Mental Health at the London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine. There is also a MHS in Mental Health at Johns Hopkins, but it seems more geared towards a research-focused practice.

Thoughts, feedback? :D

At Hopkins, if you have any post-undergraduate experience of 2 years or more, you can apply to the MPH program, for which there is a mental health concentration. I think it's the only school with an entire department devoted to mental health. I got my MPH at Hopkins, and customized my concentration to cover both mental health topics and social behavioral sciences methods.:)

At Hopkins, if you have any post-undergraduate experience of 2 years or more, you can apply to the MPH program, for which there is a mental health concentration. I think it's the only school with an entire department devoted to mental health. I got my MPH at Hopkins, and customized my concentration to cover both mental health topics and social behavioral sciences methods.:)

I really like the look of the course at Hopkins, but I can't stop work until the beginning of August 2013 and it starts its course early in June. So annoyed about it...

I really like the look of the course at Hopkins, but I can't stop work until the beginning of August 2013 and it starts its course early in June. So annoyed about it...

I have been back and forth with the admissions offices of both the part-time/internet-based and full-time programs on this very issue. It is possible to start as a part-time/internet-based student at Summer Term and then switch to full-time course load in Term 1 (September). I am told that it is still then possible to complete the MPH through Term 4 (i.e., as if you had completed it as an 11-month, full-time student). This is provided you can take "time off" to (physically) attend the student orientation and intensive summer course for those 2 weeks in June. Also, I was warned that there may be some options not available to you (as far as classes and, potentially, concentrations/tracks) if you switch from part-time to full-time status.

So, for me Johns Hopkins is back on the drawing board. I suggest you think it further and consult with the admission office. They were very responsive. :D

I have been back and forth with the admissions offices of both the part-time/internet-based and full-time programs on this very issue. It is possible to start as a part-time/internet-based student at Summer Term and then switch to full-time course load in Term 1 (September). I am told that it is still then possible to complete the MPH through Term 4 (i.e., as if you had completed it as an 11-month, full-time student). This is provided you can take "time off" to (physically) attend the student orientation and intensive summer course for those 2 weeks in June. Also, I was warned that there may be some options not available to you (as far as classes and, potentially, concentrations/tracks) if you switch from part-time to full-time status.

So, for me Johns Hopkins is back on the drawing board. I suggest you think it further and consult with the admission office. They were very responsive. :D

I wondered about the internet based course, and thought that it must be possible for me to do part of the course online. I emailed them a couple of days ago, they've not got back to me yet.

Same issue with Yale. Who basically emailed and said - either you come in July or you don't do the course.

With Columbia not doing a management track in their accelerated course, if Hopkins don't provide a means for me to do their course - my initial short-list of four universities is down to just one.

I guess I'll save money on applications...

I wondered about the internet based course, and thought that it must be possible for me to do part of the course online. I emailed them a couple of days ago, they've not got back to me yet.

Same issue with Yale. Who basically emailed and said - either you come in July or you don't do the course.

With Columbia not doing a management track in their accelerated course, if Hopkins don't provide a means for me to do their course - my initial short-list of four universities is down to just one.

I guess I'll save money on applications...
Early-start/accelerated programs can be difficult to navigate, I agree. I would not rule out Johns Hopkins just yet if you can consider taking time in June to attend the face-to-face orientation and intensive summer coursework for part-time/internet-based students. Then, at a later time when your (personal and professional) schedule allows, you can take a higher number of courseload. I think it is doable.

I would not totally discount Columbia, either. I realize that the Accelerated MPH is only accepting policy-focused students. However, students in the Health Policy and Management track can finish within 16 months (provided they do not do other certificates other than those outlined by the department). Sixteen months is definitely less than the (traditional) 24 months. Again, personal and professional schedule is tantamount here.

I am guessing you are interested in management-focused curricula? Have you considered Harvard? They start in September, and you have the option for full-time and part-time studies. I would also consider looking into management/business school that may have a healthcare focus. Good luck!

Early-start/accelerated programs can be difficult to navigate, I agree. I would not rule out Johns Hopkins just yet if you can consider taking time in June to attend the face-to-face orientation and intensive summer coursework for part-time/internet-based students. Then, at a later time when your (personal and professional) schedule allows, you can take a higher number of courseload. I think it is doable.

I'm hoping JHSPH pull through for me. I could take off two weeks in June/July before officially finishing at the end of July. But that would be the maximum.

I would not totally discount Columbia, either. I realize that the Accelerated MPH is only accepting policy-focused students. However, students in the Health Policy and Management track can finish within 16 months (provided they do not do other certificates other than those outlined by the department). Sixteen months is definitely less than the (traditional) 24 months. Again, personal and professional schedule is tantamount here.

Columbia are completely out. I only have 12 months available to me to have off work, so if its not an accelerated program then its not an option unfortunately.

I am guessing you are interested in management-focused curricula? Have you considered Harvard? They start in September, and you have the option for full-time and part-time studies. I would also consider looking into management/business school that may have a healthcare focus. Good luck!
Yeah management is my focus area. Harvard is, as things currently stand, my only available choice.

Is anyone aware of a relatively safe and reliable website where folks can post admissions essays and have others review/edit them? Of course, there is no substitute for a "live" person, but I may want input from total strangers, as well. :D

I have a kind of strange question. I want to apply for an MPH in 2013. I have a bit of a different career path. For about 2.5 years I worked for a major tobacco company before I sort of saw the light. I have now worked for the last two years abroad in health and public service, mostly as a volunteer. Most recently I helped found and run an outpatient clinic here in Moscow.
I thought maybe my path from the dark to the light (cliche I know) might help me seem like an interesting candidate. However I am getting some feedback that I should try to downplay my roll in tobacco, does anyone have any thoughts?
Thanks!

I have a kind of strange question. I want to apply for an MPH in 2013. I have a bit of a different career path. For about 2.5 years I worked for a major tobacco company before I sort of saw the light. I have now worked for the last two years abroad in health and public service, mostly as a volunteer. Most recently I helped found and run an outpatient clinic here in Moscow.
I thought maybe my path from the dark to the light (cliche I know) might help me seem like an interesting candidate. However I am getting some feedback that I should try to downplay my roll in tobacco, does anyone have any thoughts?
Thanks!

I think you can definitely use the experience to your advantage. You know more about "the enemy," and chose a different path, so I think you could say in your essays that you are truly genuine in your passion for public health. You also have information from the other side that might be useful for policy and education. Good luck! :)

What do folks recommend regarding whether or not to describe/list specific responsibilities/roles under a position in your CV? For instance:

Example 1:
Research Assistant, Global Health & Population
  • responsibility #1
  • responsibility #2
  • responsibility #3

versus

Example 2:
Research Assistant, Global Health & Population

Medical Officer, USAID

Environmental Scientist, World Health Organization

Do you see what I mean? There are descriptions on the first example, and there are none on the second example, just a list of the positions. I have seen both in CV samples. (It is more common - and probably more sensible - in resume samples. However, I am submitting my CV.) There would be more material on Example 2, such as dates or a specific name of the department.

Thoughts, guffaws, and feedback? :D

Hi, I see that you all are applying for the fall session. I may sound naive but am very new to all this therefore asking, is it too late to apply for the spring session or there is no spring session as far as MPH is concerned? What about the schools which offer program other that SOPHAS, DO they take students for spring session?

It definitely depends on the schools you're interested in. Quite a bit of schools I have browsed will let students begin in Spring, but other schools say that they will allow only certain students to begin in Spring on a case by case basis. However, some programs do start in Fall, Spring, and even Summer sessions. You just have to check out the websites for the schools for more info. Good luck!

Hey all!

So what schools are you all going to apply to? What concentration?

When do you plan to submit your application?

I'm just curious to learn a little bit about you!

As for me, I'm planning to apply for Yale, Boston U, Columbia U, Tulane U, U of Kentucky, and Emory U. For all schools that have a chronic disease epidemiology concentration, I'll be applying to that, but for the rest, it's just the general epidemiology. My goal is to submit my application by mid-October or sooner. I already have all of my information lined up and ready. I've been working on my personal statement essays nonstop since I graduated last week. I am so nervous to see where I get in/don't get in. :scared:

So what schools are you all going to apply to? What concentration? All Health Policy & Management with a policy focus and (if possible) global health track/certificate: Columbia, Harvard, UCLA, Berkeley, BU (Human Rights), UofM, Yale, and the London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine (Global Mental Health).

When do you plan to submit your application? Mid/late October.

Do we have to wait for the sophas apps to come out in September to start the personal statement or is the topic the same every year?

Do we have to wait for the sophas apps to come out in September to start the personal statement or is the topic the same every year?

Look at the websites of programs. Each will have its own questions/prompts to answer in the essay - and in some cases, specific questions from the department/concentration. SOPHAS will merely provide the means for you to upload each essay. On the SOPHAS site (I think under FAQs), it will say that you should tailor each essay to each program. So, I would not wait until the site re-opens in mid-September. (Pay close attention to word limits. SOPHAS, I believe has a 1500-word limit, but some programs will specifically ask you to limit it to much less than that.)

I'm currently a senior majoring in health services management. I have about a 3.2 cumulative gpa. I also completed a 6 month internship at a government hospital as a management intern and have 3 years experience working at the medical school on campus. I have yet to take the GRE/GMAT and have been researching schools for the MHA program. Does anyone have any suggestions on how many schools one should apply to? Do school look at resume/experience and the interview more than GPA and gre/gmat scores? I'm confused about this whole process so any information will help. Thanks!

I'm currently a senior majoring in health services management. I have about a 3.2 cumulative gpa. I also completed a 6 month internship at a government hospital as a management intern and have 3 years experience working at the medical school on campus. I have yet to take the GRE/GMAT and have been researching schools for the MHA program. Does anyone have any suggestions on how many schools one should apply to? Do school look at resume/experience and the interview more than GPA and gre/gmat scores? I'm confused about this whole process so any information will help. Thanks!

It's hard to say how many schools to apply to. I am applying to 6-7 schools. I know others who apply to many more, and some who even applied to much less. It gets expensive to apply to a lot of schools, so that's something to keep in mind.

A lot of the schools I've noticed say that they look at the complete package (GRE scores, GPA, CV/Resume, Experience, Volunteer work, Personal Statement, Letters of Recommendation, etc) rather than one component. From what I've gathered through looking on SOPHAS, the schools individual websites, and from the forums here, you should definitely write an awesome personal statement/statement of purpose, and you should make sure that you look at each school, as some of them have different requirements. Some schools require work experience, others don't. All the schools are different. I have all of the information in a notebook and that way when I apply, I have a checklist for each school of what I need to make sure I have so that I do not send an incomplete application. That's all I can think of right now. Hope it helps!

I agree with xoromanticide. I have said this here before: I highly encourage folks to reflect on what you want to do in the future, how you envision your personal and professional life, and then work your way backwards. While a public health degree can be flexible and can potentially open a variety of job prospects, there are reasons why public health programs have similar departments that target those aspects of public health (e.g., Epi, Bio, Social/Behavioral, Health Policy/Mng, etc.). If you know which area you would like to target, then that should considerably narrow your selection process, as some programs may or may not have the department/track/concentration you want. (And some are better than others.)

The "holistic approach" is a very common phrase used by admissions offices. While it may be true - and should be - some programs will outline (on their website) point-by-point the data of successful applicants who were ultimately admitted to their program (e.g., 50th% of GRE, average GPA of incoming class, etc.). Some will explicitly require certain advanced degrees, a # of professional experience, or specific courses you should have completed before matriculating. The top-tiered programs tend to be in this crowd - but again, look to the websites and see what is outlined.

I agree, it can be overwhelming. At the end of the day, it is about a "good fit." There are many prestigious programs out there, but there is no sense in going into them (and accrue debt) if it does not fit the bill for you. I also agree, most folks (I believe) are in the 5-7 range with applications. I am applying to 8, and even that seems like a lot. Good luck! :D

Thank you !!

It's hard to say how many schools to apply to. I am applying to 6-7 schools. I know others who apply to many more, and some who even applied to much less. It gets expensive to apply to a lot of schools, so that's something to keep in mind.

A lot of the schools I've noticed say that they look at the complete package (GRE scores, GPA, CV/Resume, Experience, Volunteer work, Personal Statement, Letters of Recommendation, etc) rather than one component. From what I've gathered through looking on SOPHAS, the schools individual websites, and from the forums here, you should definitely write an awesome personal statement/statement of purpose, and you should make sure that you look at each school, as some of them have different requirements. Some schools require work experience, others don't. All the schools are different. I have all of the information in a notebook and that way when I apply, I have a checklist for each school of what I need to make sure I have so that I do not send an incomplete application. That's all I can think of right now. Hope it helps!