2013-2014 Application Status - Schools, Interviews and Acceptance

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
What? That's really odd. Do you know why they denied you? What are your stats?

I have 3.57 cGPA 3.49 sGPA and 21 mcat they didnt say anything I dont know how they look at the application

Members don't see this ad.

I have 3.57 cGPA 3.49 sGPA and 21 mcat they didnt say anything I dont know how they look at the application

We have very similar stats, though I hope to have a higher GPA by the time I apply next August, and Temple is my first choice. Now I'm convinced I need to retake the MCAT. Boo...

When I was at my Temple interview they did talk about how they weight the MCAT score more than GPA because it is standardized where random university grades are not. So I guess it could make sense if they have set a minimum MCAT.

Members don't see this ad :)
Well I'm the email they pretty much said my academic profile doesn't meet there standards. I got a 19 on the mcat. 3.1 cgpa and 2.9 sgpa

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk 4
Yea, I'm stumped on this whole process. I have a 3.3 cGPA 3.15 sGPA and 24 MCAT and I was rejected immediately by DMU but have an interview everywhere else. Nice work on getting all your other interviews!

Very odd. I got interviews at DMU and Temple with much lower stats than yours. Maybe it's something else in the application? Though I don't even know what that could be. Weird.

When I was at my Temple interview they did talk about how they weight the MCAT score more than GPA because it is standardized where random university grades are not. So I guess it could make sense if they have set a minimum MCAT.

On the scholarship page for Temple (http://podiatry.temple.edu/admissions/financial-aid/scholarships), it is clearly stated under the "first year merit scholarships" section that one only needs a 3.0 cGPA and a 20 on the MCAT (uncertain about the score breakdown). So to be rejected with stats well above a scholarship cutoff is quite odd. I agree with one of the other posters who said that it may have been another aspect of the application that caused a denial.

On the scholarship page for Temple (http://podiatry.temple.edu/admissions/financial-aid/scholarships), it is clearly stated under the "first year merit scholarships" section that one only needs a 3.0 cGPA and a 20 on the MCAT (uncertain about the score breakdown). So to be rejected with stats well above a scholarship cutoff is quite odd. I agree with one of the other posters who said that it may have been another aspect of the application that caused a denial.

I dont know what else could be wrong with my application bcz I have over 70 hours shadowing a podiatrist and over 60 hours shadowing an MD maybe they wanted two podiatrists to be shadowed, plus I have 3 club memberships, tutoring students and work experience

I dont know what else could be wrong with my application bcz I have over 70 hours shadowing a podiatrist and over 60 hours shadowing an MD maybe they wanted two podiatrists to be shadowed, plus I have 3 club memberships, tutoring students and work experience

Did you get a LOR from the podiatrist you shadowed?

I think that the scholarship cutoff is just that--a cutoff, meaning you must have scores above that to be considered. Furthermore, the scholarships they provide vary in degree--eg a good candidate may be provided with a 5k scholarship, whereas a better one may be provided with a 10k scholarship. It is not that unreasonable to deny someone admission just because she has higher stats than the scholarship cutoff. Also, a 21 MCAT score is relatively low, and below average. It's honestly not that surprising. However, I'm willing to bet that that student will have admits at various places based on his/her supporting documents.

Yea, I'm stumped on this whole process. I have a 3.3 cGPA 3.15 sGPA and 24 MCAT and I was rejected immediately by DMU but have an interview everywhere else. Nice work on getting all your other interviews!
From what I understand, DMU's average GPA is higher than that of all the other programs. I'm guessing that the program was not happy with your science gpa.

I think that the scholarship cutoff is just that--a cutoff, meaning you must have scores above that to be considered. Furthermore, the scholarships they provide vary in degree--eg a good candidate may be provided with a 5k scholarship, whereas a better one may be provided with a 10k scholarship. It is not that unreasonable to deny someone admission just because she has higher stats than the scholarship cutoff. Also, a 21 MCAT score is relatively low, and below average. It's honestly not that surprising. However, I'm willing to bet that that student will have admits at various places based on his/her supporting documents.

To me, a scholarship cutoff is different from an admissions cut off. If one only needs a 3.0 and a 20 on the MCAT to be considered for any amount of scholarship monies, then would it not be implied that the minimum stats required for admission to the school of podiatric medicine itself (assuming you don't receive a scholarship) would be somewhat lower? :confused: And AFAIK, Temple has accepted students with lower GPAs and lower MCAT scores.

Well, the way I am thinking of it is, let's say someone has a 3.1 gpa and a 20 MCAT score. These stats are both below average for admission, but this student happens to have an amazing life story, phenomenal extra-curriculars, etc., and she gets admitted. It's my understanding that this student won't really meet the scholarship cutoff. I think the phenomenon is that many students are offered money, so the requirement to meet scholarship cutoffs are very very low.

Just got the nycpm rejection letter in the mail. So both temple and nycpm have rejected so far. Still waiting on Barry and Azpod.

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk now Free

Members don't see this ad :)
Just got the nycpm rejection letter in the mail. So both temple and nycpm have rejected so far. Still waiting on Barry and Azpod.

Did you interview at both? Or are those before interviews?

From what I understand, DMU's average GPA is higher than that of all the other programs. I'm guessing that the program was not happy with your science gpa.
I'll take this as my answer I think. The rest of my application is solid. 100+ hours of shadowing a podiatrist, 3 years of undergraduate research in a molecular biology lab, 2 years of volunteer work in the ER, and I'm currently working full time as a phlebotomist. I have two pod letters of rec., and two science professors.

I'll take this as my answer I think. The rest of my application is solid. 100+ hours of shadowing a podiatrist, 3 years of undergraduate research in a molecular biology lab, 2 years of volunteer work in the ER, and I'm currently working full time as a phlebotomist. I have two pod letters of rec., and two science professors.
Yeah, I would say don't worry about it--DMU just isn't the fit for you. I doubt you'll have too many other problems. Nice job on all your ECs though!

Does anyone know how Temple will notify of acceptance? NYCPM said they will call, but I don't remember Temple saying. I know Temple is meeting today to decide on the first batch of interviews.

Does anyone know how Temple will notify of acceptance? NYCPM said they will call, but I don't remember Temple saying. I know Temple is meeting today to decide on the first batch of interviews.
Yeah, I was in that batch...I remember it being said there would def. be something over mail, and I believe they call... not 100% sure though.

Did you interview?

No I have not interviewed at any school yet, I have only received interview invites (DMU, Scholl, Kent, Samuel Merritt, and Western). Template and nycpm both mailed denied application letters.

I've now scheduled interviews at Western (Oct. 8), Temple (Sept.20), New York (Oct 2.), and Kent State (Oct 28). Should I plan on hearing from AZPOD still or would they have given me an invite by now if they were interested?

My interview are 2 weeks from Thursday at NYCPM? Can u give me a hint about the kind of questions they asked? My mcat is 22 with a 5 on verbal score, so i'm sure they would be asking about that. But can u tell me what kind of questions they will also ask since i need to be ready and its my NO. 1 choice.

I highly appreciate ur help.

No clue buddy, there are a host of interviewers and I only had 2 of them. I would guess they would ask you if you are prepared for medical school and if you will be able to handle the increased workload, why podiatry, where do you see yourself in x years, why podiatry again, what draws you to pod med, what went wrong on your mcat, why new york, will you able to handle new york city, basically: will you be able to handle it?

That is just my guess though, since I only interacted with 2 interviewers.

My interview are 2 weeks from Thursday at NYCPM? Can u give me a hint about the kind of questions they asked? My mcat is 22 with a 5 on verbal score, so i'm sure they would be asking about that. But can u tell me what kind of questions they will also ask since i need to be ready and its my NO. 1 choice.

I highly appreciate ur help.
Also, read through the interview feedback forum at the top under reference materials. You can read through past questions that people have uploaded.

No clue buddy, there are a host of interviewers and I only had 2 of them. I would guess they would ask you if you are prepared for medical school and if you will be able to handle the increased workload, why podiatry, where do you see yourself in x years, why podiatry again, what draws you to pod med, what went wrong on your mcat, why new york, will you able to handle new york city, basically: will you be able to handle it?

That is just my guess though, since I only interacted with 2 interviewers.

Thanks for ur help!!!

It's a nice easy day. Just be ready to defend anything that might be seen as a negative on your application. (i.e. retakes, low MCAT, not many shadowing hours) Prove to them that you're capable and you should be good. Be ready to write a short essay at the beginning. They give you the prompt. It is EASY, and you have 15 min to write a half page.

Were the topics of the essay easy. Such as why NYCPM? or why pod? or was it totally different.

Were the topics of the essay easy. Such as why NYCPM? or why pod? or was it totally different.
It was very easy, and very broad. You need no preparation for it.

I think temple is going to release its first admits tomorrow...I think...Based on my pseudoscience speculative insight.
haha Great! I have my Western interview in the morning so I will have my phone off most of the day. Hope they don't change their mind about me if I don't answer their call... if they call.

Temple is going to be sending out their invitations in mail either today (10/8/13) or tomorrow (10/9/13). They made their decision yesterday.

I called them directly to find out if I got in or not because I had previously been in contact with their admission staff, and one of the them told me I could call and find out. I got in, woohoo! My stats were 3.4 cgpa, 3.2 sgpa, 21 MCAT.

If you're waiting to hear from Temple, and they are your number 1, I'd call ahead and just ask. I'm sure they'll tell you. If you're patient and can wait to find out when the letter comes in mail, then that's your call. Good luck!

Temple is going to be sending out their invitations in mail either today (10/8/13) or tomorrow (10/9/13). They made their decision yesterday.

I called them directly to find out if I got in or not because I had previously been in contact with their admission staff, and one of the them told me I could call and find out. I got in, woohoo! My stats were 3.4 cgpa, 3.2 sgpa, 21 MCAT.

If you're waiting to hear from Temple, and they are your number 1, I'd call ahead and just ask. I'm sure they'll tell you. If you're patient and can wait to find out when the letter comes in mail, then that's your call. Good luck!
I just called too, thanks for updating us on that. 8k scholarship to Temple :).

Our average GPA for the class that matriculated this fall was 3.45c/3.35s for anyone that was curious, and IIRC our average MCAT was a 23, if that helps anyone figure out what's going on with your apps/interview invites.

I'm a bit worried that I did not get any response from Scholl yet. I did get the email verifying they had received my application and will be in touch within upcoming weeks (that was 9/20).

Also, anyone get a response back from DMU or Kent for acceptance or decline?

I'm a bit worried that I did not get any response from Scholl yet. I did get the email verifying they had received my application and will be in touch within upcoming weeks (that was 9/20).

Also, anyone get a response back from DMU or Kent for acceptance or decline?

From experience last year, DMU took a full month to respond while Kent took a week, though my interview date pushed up against the front end of christmas break, so that may have had something to do with it.

From experience last year, DMU took a full month to respond while Kent took a week, though my interview date pushed up against the front end of christmas break, so that may have had something to do with it.

Multiple students mentioned they usually do not take more than a week. Had my interview October 30th, I guess waiting 'til the end of the week wouldn't hurt.

Had my interview October 30th,

Impressive :)

I'd give it 2 weeks from your interview before you contact admissions. They're pretty busy with interviews these days (we have a lot of programs going through interviews right now). That being said, our admissions staff is really nice and helpful so don't hesitate to contact them with any questions.

Got my Temple acceptance today! 6k scholarship Now I need these other schools to hurry up with their decisions

Got my Temple acceptance today! 6k scholarship Now I need these other schools to hurry up with their decisions

Did you get it through the mail or a phone call?

Did you get a LOR from the podiatrist you shadowed?

Yeah I got a recommendation letter from the podiatrist, also I received in the past two days interviews from two more schools so I have 6 interviews now :)

Did you get it through the mail or a phone call?
I read here on SDN that you can call and ask them if you've interviewed there in the past two weeks. So they just told me when I called. They said they are putting together letter packets now and mailing them off ASAP so if you can handle waiting (I couldn't), you'll get letters in the mail in the next week.

I know NYCPM has its first meeting today....eagerly waiting for that one.

Got Kent acceptance and nterview ii from Scholl today.

Still nothing from DMU.

i interviewed today at NYCPM. it was a great experience they said they would be meeting today and they will send a mail in two days. but call them tmrw if want to know..........they will tell u

Anyone planning on interview at DMU on November 1st?!?

24K per year or is it for the 4 years?

Last edited:
Did you call them ? What time did they all you today(time zone )? I wonder if I was rejected...
I called after seeing Kimoo:thumbdown:'s comment. It's distributed over 4 years as long as I maintain 3.2+