2013-2014 Application Status - Schools, Interviews and Acceptance

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hi guys, I definitely need your help..
DO you guys think i have a shot with my grades
MCAT=21( BS=9 VB=5 PS=7)
GPA=3.6

DO you think the verbal is tooo low that i might get rejected to NYCPM, since its my top choice.

Second question
What would u guys respond if you were asked "Why a low mcat score and high GPA" or why did you perform badly on MCAT", i really have no answers..
THANKS ALOT!!!!!!
Kimoo:thumbdown:... I think only you know the response for why your MCAT score did not match your GPA:

Did you not study enough? Were you having family problems? Were you stressed out in your class? Be honest about your problem with the MCAT (besides saying you don't have the capability)....

If you have no answer to the question, are you saying you are not capable to do well on a standardized test like the mcat? Or, more likely, perhaps you are saying you did not put in the required efforts, and this did not happen because something else was demanding your attention: some personal problem, coursework difficulty, etc...

Members don't see this ad.

Kimoo:thumbdown:... I think only you know the response for why your MCAT score did not match your GPA:

Did you not study enough? Were you having family problems? Were you stressed out in your class? Be honest about your problem with the MCAT (besides saying you don't have the capability)....

If you have no answer to the question, are you saying you are not capable to do well on a standardized test like the mcat? Or, more likely, perhaps you are saying you did not put in the required efforts, and this did not happen because something else was demanding your attention: some personal problem, coursework difficulty, etc...
(Yes, based on stats from the different colleges, you certainly have a fine shot at any of the programs).

I studied my ass out for that test, but i couldn't make it...i dont know why...so thats my answer. I took my MCAT twice first time was a 15. do u think they will look ask me anything about it.?

Members don't see this ad :)
A speaker came today at my university and told me couple of info that should help u guys for NYCPM. First of all, NO ESSAYS!!!!!!!! She said that there is no more essays, which relieved lots of stress. She also said that 100 people apply for Jan class and a range of 25 students get accepted. WHich is competitive.

DOes anyone want to register for Jan class NYCPM? WHY?
Thanks for ur help!!!

A speaker came today at my university and told me couple of info that should help u guys for NYCPM. First of all, NO ESSAYS!!!!!!!! She said that there is no more essays, which relieved lots of stress. She also said that 100 people apply for Jan class and a range of 25 students get accepted. WHich is competitive.

DOes anyone want to register for Jan class NYCPM? WHY?
Thanks for ur help!!!
If I were you, I would prepare to talk about it, even if they don't end up asking you. I'm also trying to do the January start date for New York.

If I were you, I would prepare to talk about it, even if they don't end up asking you. I'm also trying to do the January start date for New York.[/QUOT

HOWS UR MCAT score and GPA??

First off, you only GPA and really cumulative GPA and science GPA are two completely different things! So do you know what your science GPA would be around and people would be able to help out a bit more. There are people that go to liberal arts colleges and have a 3.5 cGPA, but a below 3.0 sGPA and that makes a huge difference.
For the MCAT part, it isn't great, but if your science GPA is above a 3.2 you are likely to get in basing it on the past forums here.

My science GPA is 3.7

You went to grad school? WOW!!!! so what should be ur job>

You went to grad school? WOW!!!! so what should be ur job>
PM me. I think it will be helpful for the applicants for this cycle if we keep this thread neat and for information about this interview/acceptance cycle. We can talk in more detail over messages so that people can access information on this thread more neatly.

No problem.. My interview is on the 8th, so let us know how u did..

No problem.. My interview is on the 8th, so let us know how u did..
:) Ofcourse. And I've done the Temple interview already. If you go there, just remember: RELAX. It's a super easy day. I think the amount of time I spent looking over stuff was not a good investment of time because I should have just spent it doing something else more productive, since nothing really came up. But the professor who interviewed me was super awesome (Dr. Furmado).

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks!!! I scheduled my Temple interview at the end of October, because im hoping to get accepted to NYCPM before the interview date so i wouldn't have to go..

In general a 3.2 cgpa, 3.1 sgpa and a 23 mcat will give you a decent chance at most podiatry schools. AZpod and DMU will require a little more, Temple might be slightly lower.

A high gpa is worth more than a high mcat but one can offset the other as long as you don't fall below a 2.75 cgpa/sgpa / 18 mcat cutoff area (a 4 in any section will need a lot of justifying,).

PS. 3.4 gpa 28+ mcat people have been rejected before, while sub 3.0 24 mcats have been accepted (the interview DOES count).

PS. 3.4 gpa 28+ mcat people have been rejected before, while sub 3.0 24 mcats have been accepted (the interview DOES count).

I had this exact discussion in my humanities philosophy class. Off topic, but kinda relevant. We were talking about the importance of education and I was telling all these Sophomores and Juniors who think that the only thing that gets them into med school are their grades and MCAT scores.

The interview is basing it on who you are and kind of like a psychological screening of you. Why would a school invest 4yrs into some people that seem to be insecure, rude, and self pretentious? I have a girl in one of my classes that is a Junior and she has gotten a 4.0 in all but one class she has taken. She said she freaked out when she got a 3.5 in a difficult class. In my mind, these are actually the people that make the worst professionals b/c many businesses don't like investing time in people who have yet to show that they can cope with disappointment in grades. This is a personal view and have seen it in getting internships as well.
My brother got a high paying paid internship in his Sophomore year at college, while his friend who applied with a 4.0 didn't get the internship until 1.5yrs later. His boss told him that the reason he was accepted over his over achieving friend was b/c his friend showed them that he could not handle defeat or disappointment at the college level yet so what would happen when he falls behind in a project that could lose money for a multibillion dollar company?

So in a nutshell what I am saying is, interview matters b/c if you go in there with the notion that you are a perfection and can't deal with getting a 3.5 it will and could show the interviewer that you could have a mental breakdown. And they don't want that.

Again, my real life scenario I indicated above was for getting a job in which someone I know got it over the kid with the perfect grades. I know, a lot of rambling on and maybe not entirely accurate portrayal of podiatry med school, but it could be.

How come I never heard of a podiatrist specializing in the lower limb even though there allowed to? Wouldn't that be more prestigious? Don't understand me wrong, im not choosing podiatry bec of salary, but i was just wondering what is the best speciality that allows you to get the highest salary and not have a hard time finding a job? is it surgery? Diabetic wound care? orthotics?

Last edited:
HI! My interview at CSPM was on September 18th and I received my acceptance email today (September 23rd) :):D

My application was verified on the 19th and I just received an interview from Temple today :thumbup:

Congratulations!!! How's ur MCAT and GPA score? What day are you going to the invitation?

MCAT 34. GPA not so good, around a 2.8 (had a bad first 2 years). Haven't made a date for the interview yet. I'm hoping to hear back from a couple schools out east in the next day or two so I can try and set up all my interviews for around the same time. Hopefully sometime in november.

So what's your number 1 choice? COngrats on you HIGH MCAT's BTW :)

So what's your number 1 choice? COngrats on you HIGH MCAT's BTW :)

Dont have a number 1 choice yet. My GF wants to get into public health so we are waiting to see if we get into a school close to each other

My applications were mailed out on 9/25. Received interview invites to Temple and NYCPM so far but applied at all schools just to see where I'd get responses.
Stats:
2.93 sGPA, 3.21 overall GPA --- low I know, organic killed me
21 and 19 MCATs
Lots of shadowing hours, employment as a CNA in the Oncology Dept. of a hospital, undergraduate thesis with 200+ research hours, college athlete

Congrats!!!! Where r u from? When r u going to NYCPM?

Has anyone interviewed at NYCPM? i think the first day should be Oct 1.

Congrats!!!! Where r u from? When r u going to NYCPM?

Originally from Kansas but live in Nashville currently. I will be interviewing at NYCPM on October 29th. Temple the day before that. Anyone else going these days?

Also have interviews at Western and CSPM early November. Got invitation to interview at Kent St but haven't decided if I will go or not. That's a lot of traveling in a few months. 4 schools seems like more than enough options.

Looking forward to hearing about everyone else's interviews/acceptances! :)

I have roughly a 3.3 cGPA and a slightly higher sGPA. 25 MCAT. Plenty of shadow opportunities and 200+ volunteer hours.

I've been offered interviews so far to Western, Kent, and DMU. Also applied to Barry and Rosalind Franklin, but Rosalinda just emailed me today to tell me they just now received my application. Haven't heard from Barry yet. Now just time to nail the interviews!

Good luck everyone! :thumbup:

Interview at Kent (Nov 15), NYCPM (Nov 20) and Temple (Nov 22). :thumbup:
Still waiting to hear back from scholl

I have roughly a 3.3 cGPA and a slightly higher sGPA. 25 MCAT. Plenty of shadow opportunities and 200+ volunteer hours.

I've been offered interviews so far to Western, Kent, and DMU. Also applied to Barry and Rosalind Franklin, but Rosalinda just emailed me today to tell me they just now received my application. Haven't heard from Barry yet. Now just time to nail the interviews!

Good luck everyone! :thumbup:
Scholl has taken the longest. I applied on the first day available and I finally got the ii yesterday. All other programs invited significantly earlier. But, now they may have caught up and be up to speed.

Got 4 interview invites, nycpm, kent, des moines and samuel merritt and got denied at temple

Got 4 interview invites, nycpm, kent, des moines and samuel merritt and got denied at temple
I'm so confused by schools. I got interviews at Kent, Temple, NYCPM, Samuel Merritt, Western, & AZPOD. DMU denied me though. Did Temple say why they denied you? I feel like Temple should be much easier to interview at than DMU.

Hi, guys

I'm new here and i was hoping u would help me since i have an interview on Tuesday at Temple. I applied to medical school before and one of the questions they are going to ask me is THE REASON I APPLIED TO MED SCHOOL?

I looking for a GOOD ANS that will make me shine. I cant say that i was hoping to get a higher mcat score and that's why i applied to MD school.. This will definitely make me look worse.

SO ANY ANS WOULD BE APPRECIATED?

What? That's really odd. Do you know why they denied you? What are your stats?

Same thing with me. Temple denied me but Kent, DMU, Scholl, Samuel Merritt, And Western sent me interview invites. Still haven't hears from Barry, nycpm and azpod

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk now Free

Same thing with me. Temple denied me but Kent, DMU, Scholl, Samuel Merritt, And Western sent me interview invites. Still haven't hears from Barry, nycpm and azpod

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk now Free
So strange... there is no way they have already interviewed enough to fill their class.

Hi, guys

I'm new here and i was hoping u would help me since i have an interview on Tuesday at Temple. I applied to medical school before and one of the questions they are going to ask me is THE REASON I APPLIED TO MED SCHOOL?

I looking for a GOOD ANS that will make me shine. I cant say that i was hoping to get a higher mcat score and that's why i applied to MD school.. This will definitely make me look worse.

SO ANY ANS WOULD BE APPRECIATED?

You can say that u didn't know about podiatry until u applied to MD school

So strange... there is no way they have already interviewed enough to fill their class.

Well I'm the email they pretty much said my academic profile doesn't meet there standards. I got a 19 on the mcat. 3.1 cgpa and 2.9 sgpa

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk 4