2012-2013 Social Thread!! Let's start networking!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Welcome welcome, jump right into the convo about life, liberty and the pursuit of MD.

I probably will, has anyone ever been?

I've been there twice :). The first time was in Chicago and the second time was in Indiana. It was a GREAT Conference. I know DC is going to be so LIVE! They need to have one in Miami :). It's so much fun and there are a lot of opportunities to network :naughty:

Members don't see this ad.

Anyone attending the SNMA Conference next year? It's going to be in DC :)

Welcome welcome, jump right into the convo about life, liberty and the pursuit of MD.

I probably will, has anyone ever been?

I was there this year in Louisville...it was cool...I was kind of in an awkward inbetween phase in that I went with a MAPS group, but I'm a grad student. So I was the age of a lot of the med students, but I was going to mostly pre-med sessions and wasn't really well-informed with the social opportunities for the older people there. I still gained a lot though and had a good time. Next year I plan on being there and if I have (somehow) multiple acceptances I'm going to base my decision on where to go off of how cool the SNMA chapters are from those schools :laugh:

But for real...the pre-med fair was really helpful and I met a bunch of med students who were willing to help me with my app and were really supportive and lent a lot of good advice :thumbup:

You guys are coming to my neck of the woods aye!

I could show you some things haha

Members don't see this ad :)
I was there this year in Louisville...it was cool...I was kind of in an awkward inbetween phase in that I went with a MAPS group, but I'm a grad student. So I was the age of a lot of the med students, but I was going to mostly pre-med sessions and wasn't really well-informed with the social opportunities for the older people there. I still gained a lot though and had a good time. Next year I plan on being there and if I have (somehow) multiple acceptances I'm going to base my decision on where to go off of how cool the SNMA chapters are from those schools :laugh:

But for real...the pre-med fair was really helpful and I met a bunch of med students who were willing to help me with my app and were really supportive and lent a lot of good advice :thumbup:

Well, I couldn't go to the one this year because I am abroad :mad: and I couldn't just tell my job that I am going to travel 16 hours across the Pacific or Atlantic to go to a conference. By the time I get there, I have to come back on the plane. I was heavily involve in MAPS at my college and with SNMA before my departure. I am planning on becoming more involve when I return back to the states mid-July :D. I also want to get more involve with AMSA, too. My Spelman sister is the new President for SNMA :).

*waving the Spelman hand and singing the hymn, "Spelman, thy name we praise".

˘o˘ )
<) )\_
| \
| |_

Twirl on that!

The med students are super helpful, but I am going to another recruitment fair where all of the ADCOMS and Diversity people will be in attendance :).

You guys are coming to my neck of the woods aye!

I could show you some things haha

I've been to DC and nothing is really there, but dilapidated houses :eek:. I, mean, I am from Brooklyn and stuff, but still :D.

I'm just joking :p

I've been a couple times. They're a good time, and a great way to network with admissions people and meet med students. There seems to be a LOT more DO students now than in the past. The sessions are pretty informative too, but at this point I would only go if I have gotten off the waitlist and matriculated into med school.

The med students are super helpful, but I am going to another recruitment fair where all of the ADCOMS and Diversity people will be in attendance :).

I've been to DC and nothing is really there, but dilapidated houses :eek:. I, mean, I am from Brooklyn and stuff, but still :D.

I'm just joking :p

What conference is this!?!? Hook me up! And what's good Brooklyn ;-) finally someone who can understand me as a Puerto Rican :laugh: I know there's plenty there haha

I've been a couple times. They're a good time, and a great way to network with admissions people and meet med students. There seems to be a LOT more DO students now than in the past. The sessions are pretty informative too, but at this point I would only go if I have gotten off the waitlist and matriculated into med school.

What happened? What school WL you? I hope you get in ;)

LOL! I am Jamaican, but yes they do have a lot of bodegas over here :).

I love my BK!

Aight! Caribbean represent (I'm part DR too). You go to the West Indian Carnival in BK this year? I've never been...I've only been to the PR Day Parade...I've heard the West Indian one gets liiiiive :laugh: (ignoring all of the shootings that happen of course)

Aight! Caribbean represent (I'm part DR too). You go to the West Indian Carnival in BK this year? I've never been...I've only been to the PR Day Parade...I've heard the West Indian one gets liiiiive :laugh: (ignoring all of the shootings that happen of course)

Honestly, I am not even over exaggerating but I hate going to Labor Day parade. The last time I went I was in a middle of a cross fire. I was about 9 years old and never went again since then. I am not trying to loose my life over the non-sense. It's not too far from my house. It's right near Eastern Parkway!

I always wanted to go to the PR parade. Korea does not celebrate Cinco De Mayo, Memorial Day, 4th of July and Labor Day :(.

But I did celebrate Children's Day :D

Honestly, I am not even over exaggerating but I hate going to Labor Day parade. The last time I went I was in a middle of a cross fire. I was about 9 years old and never went again since then. I am not trying to loose my life over the non-sense. It's not too far from my house. It's right near Eastern Parkway!

I always wanted to go to the PR parade. Korea does not celebrate Cinco De Mayo, Memorial Day, 4th of July and Labor Day :(.

But I did celebrate Children's Day :D

I've heard it's wild yo. I can understand not wanting to lose your life over that, but as a man I've heard some of the costumes the women wear are ridiculous and may be worth losing my life over :D

You should totally go to the PR Day Parade sometime...it's a blast and unlike a lot of the other ethnic parades during the summer, everybody shows up from all backgrounds...last time I was there, there were more non-PRs than PRs lol

Members don't see this ad :)
I've heard it's wild yo. I can understand not wanting to lose your life over that, but as a man I've heard some of the costumes the women wear are ridiculous and may be worth losing my life over :D

You should totally go to the PR Day Parade sometime...it's a blast and unlike a lot of the other ethnic parades during the summer, everybody shows up from all backgrounds...last time I was there, there were more non-PRs than PRs lol

They have a PR parade in NC? I mean you might as well hit up Magic's City in ATL for all of that! Ughh, some of the women don't have the physiques to wear those costumes, :scared:.

I love Spanish food. I love almost every country I visited food :D.

They have a PR parade in NC? I mean you might as well hit up Magic's City in ATL for all of that! Ughh, some of the women don't have the physiques to wear those costumes, :scared:.

LMAO no I'm sorry...no NC PR parade haha I was talking about NY...my fam is all from the BX (go figure lol)

Definitely. Out of state tuition was not appealing and I was lucky to get in to the schools here.

Ahhhh good work! I'm really hoping to get some love from chapel hill...that would really open my options up so I wouldn't feel so tied down by my loan woes

Ahhhh good work! I'm really hoping to get some love from chapel hill...that would really open my options up so I wouldn't feel so tied down by my loan woes
That is the truth! Who knows...maybe some scholarship money too when they want you bad enough.

That is the truth! Who knows...maybe some scholarship money too when they want you bad enough.

Worrd. I remember you from the 2018ers thread...you're going to ECU right?

Yep. Great school and the right price. Im going to learn to love Greenville!

All I got from that post :laugh:

Yo I had to withdraw my acceptance from Wake. Didn't give the kid enough bread and seemed rather dull out in W.S

I've been there twice :). The first time was in Chicago and the second time was in Indiana. It was a GREAT Conference. I know DC is going to be so LIVE! They need to have one in Miami :). It's so much fun and there are a lot of opportunities to network :naughty:

Ohhh I would like to go, my head might explode from the excitement of being around so many URMs interested in science and medicine.

Yeah I don't blame you...I did the same thing. Winston isn't terrible but not somewhere I want to be. Plus Wake didnt really line up with what I see myself doing in the future.

It's kinda red neck out there though, right? Haha I've only been in NC for 10 months so I was told not to leave the Triangle

Ohhh I would like to go, my head might explode from the excitement of being around so many URMs interested in science and medicine.

That was the illest part of the SNMA conference...people like me who actually were into science and medicine...quite dope. Granted I wish there would have been a few more Latinos, but I get along with all my URM brothers and sisters haha.

It's kinda red neck out there though, right? Haha I've only been in NC for 10 months so I was told not to leave the Triangle

That was the illest part of the SNMA conference...people like me who actually were into science and medicine...quite dope. Granted I wish there would have been a few more Latinos, but I get along with all my URM brothers and sisters haha.
I would call it a little country...there are a few other choice descriptors that I will leave out. I can't really talk though. I'm from a small town too so it probably wont be that bad. But I'm sure you would find it interesting to say the least.

Wow can't wait to go to the one in DC then. I have family out there too so I won't have to spend a lot of cash on hotels and what not.

Thanks! I'm not holding on to any acceptances yet abd USC is my top, number one, dream school choice.

I know this situation has to suck. Sending you positive vibes via internet :thumbup:.

Sooo just received a summer job interview... at Sixflags :confused: Fours years worth a college and an acceptance to medical school and I regressed back to competing for jobs with highschoolers :sleep:

Sooo just received a summer job interview... at Sixflags :confused: Fours years worth a college and an acceptance to medical school and I regressed back to competing for jobs with highschoolers :sleep:

Hey bruh, money is money is money. I would say live it up and have a good time...no NEED to do any internships or anything...you're already going to be a doctor, take some time to relax I say :thumbup:

P.S. Having a BS doesn't mean **** anymore haha

Could be fun, depending on how badly you need the $$$

Bruh I am waiting tables...think denny's/ Ihop.

You guys are right. I guess I didn't like the idea of riding the bus 1.5 hours there and another 1.5 hours back everyday. BUT I am broke sooo :naughty:

Wow can't wait to go to the one in DC then.

When is it?? I'm trying to find it on the internet but I'm brain dead from finals and I can't function properly lol

That would be so awesome if a bunch of us are going we could actually all meet!!!! :)

When is it?? I'm trying to find it on the internet but I'm brain dead from finals and I can't function properly lol

That would be so awesome if a bunch of us are going we could actually all meet!!!! :)

I think it's next year's conference. The 2013 convention is/was in Kentucky if I am not mistaken.

AMCAS just opened up whoopy :thumbup::thumbup: It's game time time people :cool:

Good luck guys/gals with this upcoming cycle.

Good luck to all my URMs applying this cycle! Pave the way guys!!

Good luck, apply early!!

I'm submitting beginning of June! Soon as I can get a good draft of my PS ready to go haha...I'm only going to send it to one school initially though until my MCAT scores come out on June 25th then I'll send em along to the rest (if they're good enough)

Game plan!

I'm submitting beginning of June! Soon as I can get a good draft of my PS ready to go haha...I'm only going to send it to one school initially though until my MCAT scores come out on June 25th then I'll send em along to the rest (if they're good enough)

Game plan!

Sounds good! I submitted August 1 and felt like I was super late but still had a great interview season considering my GPA. Having a well written PS is the biggest favor you can do yourself at this point. And killer MCAT score :) Best of luck!

Sounds good! I submitted August 1 and felt like I was super late but still had a great interview season considering my GPA. Having a well written PS is the biggest favor you can do yourself at this point. And killer MCAT score :) Best of luck!

I second this.