***2021-2022 URM Medical School Application Thread***

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ms Procrastinator

I have no idea what I'm doing
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
It is almost that time of the year again!

Please feel free to share your cGPA, sGPA, MCAT, Major, if you're non-trad, your ECs, etc. and ask and answer questions! I won't be applying 'til next year, but I'm sending good vibes to all!

Dates:
AMCAS Opens - May 3rd
Application Submission - May 27th
Completed Applications Transmitted to Medical Schools - June 25

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 3 users
I'll start us off!

URM- AA, Female, First Generation, FAP recipient
State Residency: GA
Undergrad: Ivy
Major: Human Biology
cGPA- 3.6
sGPA- 3.4
MCAT- 502 (124/12
4/126/128) --> 504 (124/127/126/127) --> one last take in early june
Research- ~400 hours of biochemistry + nutrition research assistant in undergrad, conducted my own project (designed and applied/received grant funding) and wrote/defended an Honors Thesis. Working as a CRC in my gap year program but just started so ~20 hours currently
Clinical Volunteering- ~500 hours of volunteering in a free clinic (reception, discharge, community health advocate assigned to certain patients), COVID Testing Volunteer (swabbing people)
Nonclinical Volunteering - mentor for 2 organizations, Food pantry volunteer
Work: ~800 hours as a Medical assistant post grad. ~200 hours with various undergraduate jobs with alumni affairs
Shadowing- ~1000 hours Dermatology, Primary care
Leadership- VP of minority mentoring club, President of campus org for my national scholarship, Student Body Rep for my colleges Alumni association
Other- intermediate spanish speaker, a couple of college level awards from undergrad

School List:
Planning to only apply MD. Currently have a list with all HBCUs and state schools. not sure where else, @Faha would you be able to help? my stats are on the lower side and im not sure how far to reach with MD.
I suggest these schools with your stats:
Mercer
Medical College Georgia
Emory
Morehouse
Howard
Meharry
UCLA Drew
Miami
NOVA MD
Tulane
TCU-UNT
Creighton
St. Louis
Loyola
Rush
Medical College Wisconsin
Oakland Beaumont
Wayne State
Eastern Virginia
Georgetown
George Washington
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Seton Hall
New York Medical College
Vermont
Quinnipiac

Hi all!

URM:
AA Female, from a medically underserved city/disadvantaged
Undergrad: T30 school
Major: B.S. Virology, with Honors (C/o 2020)
MCAT: 518 (129/129/130/130)
cGPA: 3.51
sGPA: 3.43 (amcas), mostly Bs/B- in prereqs, with an upward trend
nonsgpa: 3.89(amcas)
Research:
  • 2,000+ hours, 3 years in cancer biology: 1 co-authorship, student research grant, 2 posters, both first author and presented as oral and posters at many national and international conferences.
  • 320 hours through summer research program (dry lab): 1 presentation, first author
  • Published in humanities undergraduate journal
  • Published in school newspaper
  • 400 hours anticipated through an NIH-funded research experience, summer 2021
  • Co-authored course-based meta-analysis paper, in review
  • Health disparities research grant, in progress
  • MD/PhD research prep program
Leadership:
  • Interned at US Department of State
  • Treasurer of professional fraternity house
  • Founded a pre-surgical club at my school
Paid Employment med: 250 hrs, 3 months, (cut short due to COVID), Tech position in our school's affiliated hospital
Volunteering not med: Various criminal reform activities with over 10K in grant funding
Volunteering med: 250 hrs, 2 years (cut short due to COVID) founded a club to accompany patients and complete activities with them (grant-funded)
Shadowing: ~80 hrs, primary care, and specialties (in-person and virtual)
Artistic Endeavors: 1200hrs, painting, since college.
Awards: many national awards, University awards, and merit scholarships, totaling ~100,000 dollars

I'm interested in MSTPs! @Faha Is this a good school list or too ambitious?

University of Wisconsin School of Medicine and Public Health
Penn State University School of Medicine
University of Alabama at Birmingham
School of Medicine
University of Colorado Denver School of Medicine
University of Minnesota School of Medicine
Indiana University School of Medicine
Albert Einstein College of Medicine of Yeshiva University
University of Miami School of Medicine
Emory University School of Medicine
University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill School of Medicine
Wayne State University School of Medicine
University of Illinois at Chicago College of Medicine
University of Pittsburgh/Carnegie Mellon University (Joint Program)
Princeton-Rutgers M.D.-Ph.D. program
Ohio State University College of Medicine
University of Virginia Health System
Case Western Reserve University
Icahn School of Medicine at Mount Sinai
Weill Cornell/Rockefeller/Sloan-Kettering
Northwestern University Medical School
Duke University Medical Center
University of California, Los Angeles
California Institute of Technology
University of California, San Francisco
School of Medicine
Mayo Medical School
Vanderbilt University School of Medicine
Yale University School of Medicine
Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine
University of Michigan Medical School
Washington University School of Medicine, St. Louis
Columbia University
College of Physicians and Surgeons
New York University School of Medicine
University of Chicago Pritzker School of Medicine
Harvard Medical School/Massachusetts Institute of Technology
University of Pennsylvania Perelman School of Medicine
Stanford University School of Medicine

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Hi, everyone! Really excited to take this journey with you all.

URM: AA, Female, FAP recipient
State Residency: IN
Undergrad: Ivy
Major: Health/Human Biology
cGPA: 3.8
sGPA: 3.65
MCAT: 513 (128/128/128/129)
Research: ~900 hours total across a child health research internship (presentation + publication), a summer research project on health disparities (poster), and senior thesis on health disparities
Clinical Volunteering: ~100 hours of volunteering in a free clinic (cut short due to pandemic) + projected 1000+ hours in a reproductive health clinic (bonus year)
Nonclinical Volunteering: ~1100 hours teaching/mentoring youth at an inner city elementary school (four year, social justice oriented fellowship)
Work: Summer mentor at the same elementary school (~100 hours), Cashier (~165 hours), summer resident advisor (one summer only),
plus some other opportunities in the leadership category
Shadowing: 28 hours (peds)
Leadership: Leader for the teaching/mentoring youth, coordinator for a program that serves to increase the number of underrepresented STEM (~300 hours), resident advisor for women who received specialized training in dealing with gender issues and sexual violence (400 hours), teaching assistant for public health course (250 hours)
Other: intermediate Spanish speaker, won fellowships and research grants mentioned above, runs a blog for mentoring underrepresented pre med students
Interests: MD/MPH program, social justice, community-based partnerships, public health research opportunities, primary care

Still working on my school list (thanks Faha and Goro), but maybe I'll update this post when I finalize them. If anyone has any suggestions, feel free to mention them.

Please help, I just got my MCAT score back and I'm not sure if I should apply or to what schools:

URM: AA + Mexican, Female
State Residency: AZ
Undergrad: State school
Major: Medical Studies
cGPA: 3.9
sGPA: 4.0
MCAT: 504 (126/125/125/128)
Research: NASA Space Grant Intern + poster presentation (~400 hours), COVID-19 + Indigenous populations research (200 hours), Honors thesis + research grant (~400 hours)
Clinical Volunteering: ICU Volunteer (50 hours), Street Medicine Volunteer (~50 hours), Medical Examiner's Intern (investigations/autopsy) (150 hours), Clinical Research Assistant (350 hours)
Nonclinical Volunteering: Victim Services Intern w/ International Rescue Committee (135 hours), Children's program w/ International Rescue committee (~250 hours), Rural Health Intern (~150 hours), Biology teacher at state prison (~200 hours), Sexual violence service project (+ won a grant) (~175 hours)
Work: On-campus job (2000 hours)
Shadowing: 8 hours (forensic pathology), 28 hours (virtual shadowing- various specialties), (am scheduling more conventional shadowing before June)
Leadership: Vice President of Pre-health organization (~100 hours)
Other: Intermediate Spanish
Interests: rural health, primary care, social justice

School list: MD- UA Phoenix, UA Tucson, UA Phoenix-Pathways, UA Tucson-Pathways, Creighton, U Colorado, Merharry, Howard, Morehouse, U Vermont, TCU, U NV-Reno, Medical College of Wisconsin, Albany, NYMC. DO- AT Still, Midwestern, Rocky Vista, University of New England, Campbell University, NYIT, Incarnate Word, UNT, Pacific Northwestern (I wanted to apply mostly MD schools, but I am honestly not in a place to be picky)

@Faha I would appreciate any suggestions, if you have time! Thank you!

Last edited:
Please help, I just got my MCAT score back and I'm not sure if I should apply or to what schools:

URM: AA + Mexican, Female
State Residency: AZ
Undergrad: State school
Major: Medical Studies
cGPA: 3.9
sGPA: 4.0
MCAT: 504 (126/125/125/128)
Research: NASA Space Grant Intern + poster presentation (~400 hours), COVID-19 + Indigenous populations research (200 hours), Honors thesis + research grant (~400 hours)
Clinical Volunteering: ICU Volunteer (50 hours), Street Medicine Volunteer (~50 hours), Medical Examiner's Intern (investigations/autopsy) (150 hours), Clinical Research Assistant (350 hours)
Nonclinical Volunteering: Victim Services Intern w/ International Rescue Committee (135 hours), Children's program w/ International Rescue committee (~250 hours), Rural Health Intern (~150 hours), Biology teacher at state prison (~200 hours), Sexual violence service project (+ won a grant) (~175 hours)
Work: On-campus job (2000 hours)
Shadowing: 8 hours (forensic pathology), 28 hours (virtual shadowing- various specialties), (am scheduling more conventional shadowing before June)
Leadership: Vice President of Pre-health organization (~100 hours)
Other: Intermediate Spanish
Interests: rural health, primary care, social justice

School list: MD- UA Phoenix, UA Tucson, UA Phoenix-Pathways, UA Tucson-Pathways, Creighton, U Colorado, Merharry, Howard, Morehouse, U Vermont, TCU, U NV-Reno, Medical College of Wisconsin, Albany, NYMC. DO- AT Still, Midwestern, Rocky Vista, University of New England, Campbell University, NYIT, Incarnate Word, UNT, Pacific Northwestern (I wanted to apply mostly MD schools, but I am honestly not in a place to be picky)

@Faha I would appreciate any suggestions, if you have time! Thank you!
Arizona (Phoenix and Tucson)
Howard
Meharry
Morehouse
UCLA Drew
TCU-UNT
Creighton
Colorado
NOVA MD
Miami
Emory
Virginia Commonwealth
George Washington
Georgetown
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Pittsburgh
Seton Hall
Einstein
New York Medical College
Albany
Vermont
Quinnipiac
Ohio State
Indiana
Wayne State
Oakland Beaumont
Loyola
St. Louis
You should receive several interviews from this list. Apply in June and submit all your secondaries by July.

Arizona (Phoenix and Tucson)
Howard
Meharry
Morehouse
UCLA Drew
TCU-UNT
Creighton
Colorado
NOVA MD
Miami
Emory
Virginia Commonwealth
George Washington
Georgetown
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Pittsburgh
Seton Hall
Einstein
New York Medical College
Albany
Vermont
Quinnipiac
Ohio State
Indiana
Wayne State
Oakland Beaumont
Loyola
St. Louis
You should receive several interviews from this list. Apply in June and submit all your secondaries by July.
Thank you so much!

Good Luck to you all this cycle. Glad to see that this thread still gets created every year!

• Care
Just popping in to say good luck to all this cycle! You miss all the shots you don’t take, so if you really want to apply to a lot of “reaches,” don’t hesitate to do so! Just make sure you have plenty of other “more safe” options, as well. That “what if” feeling can be a killer, so if you have the bandwidth, shoot for the stars!

• Care
Reactions: 5 users
Also popping in to say good luck to all of you!! Not asked but wanted to give two quotes (paraphrased)that I really meditated on this year:
1. What is meant for me will never miss me and that which misses me was never meant for me
2. Choose those who choose you

Yall have made it through years of hard work and should be proud of that right off the bat! Also, dont be afraid to PM especially if interested in UChicago 🤗

Reactions: 4 users
URM- Non-trad career changer (spent 6 years working in development and fundraising for healthcare non-profit), Hispanic, Female, Immigrant (Realized after submitting I referred to myself as a first-gen American in my PS even though I re-read it a zillion times, hopefully they won't think much of this oversight on my part! *insert palm to face moment*)
State Residency: MO
Undergrad: State School
Major: Business Marketing
cGPA- 3.46
sGPA- 3.66
Postbacc GPA - 3.84 (all science courses and pre-reqs because undergrad degree was business, only 2 Bs were in OChem)
MCAT- haven't taken - 502 diagnostic w/o any studying but really lacking content
Research - 100 hours bench during postbacc
Clinical Volunteering- ~600 hours (inpatient volunteer on hem/onc unit of local children's hospital, intern in free clinic working with underserved/uninsured population, COVID vaccination volunteer in underserved location)
Nonclinical Volunteering - ~1000 hours (Big Brothers Big Sisters, international opportunities focused on education accessibility, various undergrad volunteering - therapeutic equine therapy, literacy tutoring, Teach for America advocate, etc.)
Work: ~12,500 post-grad in first career (non-profit industry: senior level director & now regional consultant), 1 year of scribing in ED, ~1500 hours with various undergraduate jobs and summer internships
Shadowing- ~30 hours in person - OBGYN (restricted due to COVID, confirmed plans for 20 more this summer), 25 Virtual
Leadership - Many leadership roles held in Greek organizations/other student orgs in undergrad, served as chair of local nonprofit fundraiser post-grad

Potential School list: State schools, SLU, Loyola, Georgetown, Rush, Colorado, Vermont, TCU, Dartmouth, Tufts, @Faha would love any other thoughts!

Insight on applying without MCAT score? Do many schools review w/o score or send secondaries? I applied to a 'throw away' school June 2nd soI am verified and I feel really great about it along with 8 strong LORs to choose from. I'm concerned about my MCAT score coming back on the low end if I send in my application to other schools now, but also concerned about applying late as I test on July 30 so won't get my scores back until Aug 31 and don't love the thought of that being the first time schools see my application. Going through this process blindly as a career changer has been an uphill battle so I greatly appreciate any thoughts/advice/feedback - thank you!!!

Last edited:
Schools will not review your application until you have a MCAT score so there is no point in adding schools until then. When are you planning to take the MCAT ?

Reactions: 1 user
Schools will not review your application until you have a MCAT score so there is no point in adding schools until then. When are you planning to take the MCAT ?
Thanks for the info! July 30 is my test date.

Members don't see this ad :)
URM- Mexican, Rural, Underserved
State Residency: WA
Major: English/Molecular Bio
cGPA- 3.0 AACOMAS
sGPA- 2.8 AACOMAS
SMP - 3.7 28 ish credits?
MCAT- 502
Research - 100s of hours + secondary author on pub
Clinical- ~6000+ hrs as EMT/ MA at inpatient mental health center/rehab
Nonclinical Volunteering: Americorps: 400 hours at community centerfood bank, Stop the Bleed Instructor: 300 hours, Low income tutor: 20 hrs, Boys and Girls club: 200 hrs
Work: 2000 hrs in patient facing admin role, worked through high school and college at bowling alley, catering, etc.
Shadowing- 16 hrs at rural farmworkers clinic, 20 at mission hospital, 20 at children’s hospital
Leadership - 3 years on leadership of minority pre health club in undergrad

Potential School list: State schools (MD and DO), Western COMP Lebanon, UIWSOM, AT still, LECOM. I know my MCAT is low for MD, are there any realistic schools I wouldn’t be wasting an application at @Faha ?
Apply to more DO schools and I suggest these:
CHSU-COM
PNWU-COM
ICOM
BCOM
WCU-COM
ARCOM
NYIT-AR
MU-COM
WVSOM
UP-KYCOM
ACOM
PCOM Georgia and South Georgia
LMU-DCOM
Noorda-COM
You could try some MD schools and I suggest these:
U Washington
Washington State
Arizona (Tucson and Phoenix)
Creighton
Loyola
Wayne State
TCU-UNT
NOVA MD
George Washington
Drexel
Temple
Seton Hall
New York Medical College
Einstein
Vermont
Quinnipiac

Hi, does anyone have input on a school list for me? I had one generated by @Faha a while back but that was without my new MCAT and experiences. I’m verified and finally got my new MCAT back!

First-gen Mexican American female
sGPA: 3.31
MCAT: 500 (9/4/2020), 507 (6/4/2021)

Major: Biochemistry a
Clinical volunteering:
-20 hours Spanish medical interpreter
Non-clinical volunteering:
-600 hour peer health educator and peer counselor
-30 hours food bank, ongoing
-10 Crisis Text Line, ongoing
Clinical job:
-250 hours as scribe at an underserved community
Non-clinical job:
-1200 hours in retail
-80 hours teaching algebra to recent immigrants
Research:
1000 hours
-presented work at national conference
-gave seminar on research
Shadowing: 10 in cardiology, 8 pediatrics, 5 family med, 5 virtual

Hi, does anyone have input on a school list for me? I had one generated by @Faha a while back but that was without my new MCAT and experiences. I’m verified and finally got my new MCAT back!

First-gen Mexican American female
sGPA: 3.31
MCAT: 500 (9/4/2020), 507 (6/4/2021)

Major: Biochemistry a
Clinical volunteering:
-20 hours Spanish medical interpreter
Non-clinical volunteering:
-600 hour peer health educator and peer counselor
-30 hours food bank, ongoing
-10 Crisis Text Line, ongoing
Clinical job:
-250 hours as scribe at an underserved community
Non-clinical job:
-1200 hours in retail
-80 hours teaching algebra to recent immigrants
Research:
1000 hours
-presented work at national conference
-gave seminar on research
Shadowing: 10 in cardiology, 8 pediatrics, 5 family med, 5 virtual
You could add these MD schools to my original recommendations:
Einstein
Dartmouth
Brown
Tufts
Jefferson
Georgetown
Colorado
UCSD
USC Keck
UCLA
Kaiser

Hi, I'm applying this cycle.

AA with Ivy League undergrad degree
cGPA: 3.5
sGPA: 3.0
MCAT: 521
Major: Psychology

Clinical Volunteering:
- 10 hours volunteering at a hospital
- 5 hours volunteering at a dementia nursing facility
-
Non-clinical Volunteering:
- over 100 hours tutoring
- ~10 hours volunteering, working with kids

Clinical job:
- will scribe for a year beginning this august (after submitting primaries)

Research:
- 50+ hours research assistant

Shadowing:
- 19 hours (8 in-person, 11 virtual)

I applied to
- NYU Grossman
- Columbia
- Vanderbilt
- Chicago - Prifzer
- Northwestern
- Harvard
- Duke
- Icahn
- Case Western
- UCSF
- University of Michigan
- University of Pittsburgh
- Boston University
- Emory
- Geisel/Dartmouth
- Davis Geffen
- UNC Chapel Hill
- Wake forest
- Tulane
- ECU Brody

Any additional medical schools I should consider applying to? or just general tips or advice when applying?

Last edited:
Hi, I'm applying this cycle.

AA female with Ivy League undergrad degree
cGPA: 3.50
sGPA: 3.0
MCAT: 521
Major: Psychology

Clinical Volunteering:
- 10 hours volunteering at a hospital
- 5 hours volunteering at a dementia nursing facility
-
Non-clinical Volunteering:
- 125 hours tutoring
- 10 hours volunteering, working with kids

Clinical job:
- will scribe for a year beginning this august (after submitting primaries)

Research:
- 55 hours research assistant

Shadowing:
- 19 hours (4 internal medicine; 4 Emergency medicine, 11 virtual)

I applied to
- NYU Grossman
- Columbia
- Vanderbilt
- Chicago - Prifzer
- Northwestern
- Harvard
- Duke
- Icahn
- Case Western
- UCSF
- University of Michigan
- University of Pittsburgh
- Boston University
- Emory
- Geisel/Dartmouth
- Davis Geffen
- UNC Chapel Hill
- Wake forest
- Tulane
- ECU Brody

Any additional medical schools I should consider applying to? or just general tips or advice when applying?
Where is your state of residence ?

Your best chances are your North Carolina schools. Your low shadowing and clinical volunteering hours will lessen your chances for interviews but your high MCAT of 520 will attract attention at some schools. I suggest adding these schools to your application:
Howard
Meharry
Morehouse
Miami
Ohio State
Cincinnati
Case Western
Hofstra

Your best chances are your North Carolina schools. Your low shadowing and clinical volunteering hours will lessen your chances for interviews but your high MCAT of 520 will attract attention at some schools. I suggest adding these schools to your application:
Howard
Meharry
Morehouse
Miami
Ohio State
Cincinnati
Case Western
Hofstra
I will include these schools! Thanks so much for your help!

I will include these schools! Thanks so much for your help!
that list is very top heavy. i had slightly higher gpas than you and a higher mcat with extremely strong ECs across the board (clinical volunteering, nonclinical volunteering, research, athletics, etc.) and a very compelling story as a non-trad, yet still got rejected from most of the schools I applied to (i basically only applied to t20 schools).
you only want to apply once so make sure you add more schools that aren't "t20." nothing is guaranteed!

Last edited:
that list is very top heavy. i had slightly higher gpas than you and a higher mcat with extremely strong ECs across the board (clinical volunteering, nonclinical volunteering, research, athletics, etc.) and a very compelling story as a non-trad, yet still got rejected from most of the schools I applied to (i basically only applied to t20 schools).
you only want to apply once so make sure you add more schools that aren't "t20." nothing is guaranteed!

Would you be willing to share your list and where you received interviews and acceptances?

Would you be willing to share your list and where you received interviews and acceptances?
Of top 20s:

Acceptances were HMS, Mayo Rochester, Northwestern, UChicago, Cleveland Clinic Lerner, Mt. Sinai.

interviews also at Columbia, Penn, Yale, Wash U, Vandy, Duke, 1-2 others I can’t recall off top of my head (no Cali schools but not a Cali resident).

Was waitlisted at all of these except duke where I was rejected post interview.

Earliest app was complete early/mid October, last one was in mid November.
This was by far what hurt me the most but I am non-trad and didn’t want to take another gap year.

worked out in the end since I got into my top choice but wouldn’t recommend people to apply before their ready, another year is nothing in the grand scheme of things especially for younger folks.

For reference, had 1000+ hours of clinical experience, 1000+ Clinical/non-clinical volunteering, 1000s of research with multiple high-impact publications (primary research articles). But I am a non-trad…
OP - get your stuff in early so that you give yourself the best chance. Good luck!

Reactions: 2 users
Of top 20s:

Acceptances were HMS, Mayo Rochester, Northwestern, UChicago, Cleveland Clinic Lerner, Mt. Sinai.

interviews also at Columbia, Penn, Yale, Wash U, Vandy, Duke, 1-2 others I can’t recall off top of my head (no Cali schools but not a Cali resident).

Was waitlisted at all of these except duke where I was rejected post interview.

Earliest app was complete early/mid October, last one was in mid November.
This was by far what hurt me the most but I am non-trad and didn’t want to take another gap year.

worked out in the end since I got into my top choice but wouldn’t recommend people to apply before their ready, another year is nothing in the grand scheme of things especially for younger folks.

For reference, had 1000+ hours of clinical experience, 1000+ Clinical/non-clinical volunteering, 1000s of research with multiple high-impact publications (primary research articles). But I am a non-trad…
OP - get your stuff in early so that you give yourself the best chance. Good luck!
Thank you for this insight, congrats on your acceptances too!

URM- African American
State Residency: MD
Major: Neurobiology and Physiology
cGPA- 3.7
sGPA- 3.6
MCAT- 510 first time, 513 on the retake
Research - 100s of hours
Clinical- ~ PT tech, planning to be a medical assistant during a gap year
Nonclinical Volunteering: basketball camp counselor, one tent health (free hiv screenings),
Work: worked at papa johns during sophomore year of college
Shadowing- 100 hours of ortho
Leadership - president of be the match on campus, TA for cell bio

Based off stats alone im unsure of where i should aim to apply to. My current list includes UMSOM, Columbia, USC, and Duke. Was looking for any helping in making a list?
You could add any of these schools to your application:
Dartmouth
Harvard
Boston University
Brown
Einstein
Mount Sinai
NYU
Cornell
Pittsburgh
Case Western
Ohio State
Cincinnati
Georgetown
Emory
Vanderbilt
Miami
Washington University
Northwestern
U Chicago
UCSF
Kaiser

URM- African; Immigrated to the US when I was 7. US citizen.
Major/Minor: Biology; Minors in Spanish and Chemistry
cGPA- 3.66
sGPA- ~3.5
MCAT- Retaken 4x times with increasing scores, latest score was 509 (CARS 123, could only increase by +1 pt)
Research - 10K+, currently working in an HIV vaccine lab for the last 7 years
Publications: 5 publications (2 Cell papers), but no first author
Paid Clinical Work: 250 hours of CNA work
Volunteer Clinical: Currently a hospice volunteer and do some monthly work with the Redcross
Nonclinical Volunteering: Tutoring elementary school kids, packing food for underserved areas of ATL
Paid Work: During undergrad worked for a company that counted inventory for retail stores, CNA, Lead research specialist at t20 med school
Shadowing- 48 hours (internal medicine, family practice, and nephrology)
Leadership - Current position requires me to train and mentor others.

Because my background is so research heavy, I am not sure what schools to apply to. My GPA and MCAT score are okay for mid to low-tier schools but those ones are usually not focused on research. I plan to apply to at least 3 of the 4 schools in GA and the 3 HBCUs but should I even bother applying to schools with more research-heavy backgrounds?

I do not qualify for FAP so I am trying to keep my cost down. (It is pretty ridiculous that FAP requires your parent's income when you are 30+ years old. Otherwise, I would qualify.)

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited:
School suggestions?
Black (Afro-Caribbean), Mexican
state of residence: IN, strong ties to AZ as well
sGPA: 3.2
cGPA: 3.4
MCAT: 507
two Honors Bachelors degrees (Health and Human Biology, Latin American and Caribbean Studies)
Ivy undergrad
NCAA Division I Athlete (1x Ivy League Champion, 2x Senior Captain)
Non-traditional
current graduate student @ U of Pennsylvania, Bioethics Masters Degree
1000+ research hours
400 clinical hours
400 volunteer hours (mainly sports and academic related)

Any and all suggestions taken!
Indiana
Howard
Meharry
Morehouse
UCLA Drew
Loyola
Oakland Beaumont
Wayne State
St. Louis
Creighton
TCU-UNT
Tulane
Miami
Emory
Eastern Virginia
Georgetown
George Washington
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Pittsburgh
Cincinnati
Einstein
New York Medical College
Vermont
Quinnipiac

URM- African; Immigrated to the US when I was 7. US citizen.
Major/Minor: Biology; Minors in Spanish and Chemistry
cGPA- 3.66
sGPA- ~3.5
MCAT- Retaken 4x times with increasing scores, latest score was 509 (CARS 123, could only increase by +1 pt)
Research - 10K+, currently working in an HIV vaccine lab for the last 7 years
Publications: 5 publications (2 Cell papers), but no first author; was offered the chance to do a comparative analysis of 20 published papers which means a chance to get a first-author paper (but not sure about taking something like that on while running my own study and working on applications)
Paid Clinical Work: 250 hours of CNA work
Volunteer Clinical: Currently a hospice volunteer and do some monthly work with the Redcross
Nonclinical Volunteering: Tutoring elementary school kids, packing food for underserved areas of ATL
Paid Work: During undergrad worked for a company that counted inventory for retail stores, CNA, Lead research specialist at t20 med school
Shadowing- 48 hours (internal medicine, family practice, and nephrology)
Leadership - Current position requires me to train and mentor others.

Because my background is so research heavy, I am not sure what schools to apply to. My GPA and MCAT score are okay for mid to low-tier schools but those ones are usually not focused on research. I plan to apply to at least 3 of the 4 schools in GA and the 3 HBCUs but should I even bother applying to schools with more research-heavy backgrounds?

I do not qualify for FAP so I am trying to keep my cost down. (It is pretty ridiculous that FAP requires your parent's income when you are 30+ years old. Otherwise, I would qualify.)

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated!
Medical College Georgia
Mercer
Emory
Morehouse
Meharry
Howard
UCLA Drew
Miami
Tulane
TCU-UNT
Duke
Georgetown
George Washington
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Pittsburgh
St. Louis
Loyola
Creighton
Oakland Beaumont
Wayne State
Ohio State
Cincinnati
Einstein
New York Medical College
Seton Hall
Vermont
Quinnipiac
Dartmouth

Anyone else get the email from Northwestern encouraging you to apply since they wanna recruit more minority status folks? Tempted to apply because of the waived secondary fee but also know it’s such a reach school…

URM - African American
State of residency - NY
Undergrad - State School
sGPA - 3.65
cGPA - 3.75
MCAT - I took a pre-2015 MCAT. My score for the new MCAT is 514
Research - 200 hrs. No publication or presentation
Clinal volunteering - 500 hrs
Non-clinical volunteering - 350 hrs
Paid work - Nonclinical, 6000 hrs
Tutoring college students - 300 hrs for 1 year
Shadowing - 200+ hrs in three different specialties
Leadership - Sports team captain (intramural and local NY state tournaments)

School List:
NYU-LI
Columbia
Cornell
Sinai
Einstein
Dartmouth
Brown
Duke
Emory
Stony Brook
NYMC
Albany
Buffalo
Vermont
Rochester
SUNY Downstate
SUNY Upstate
Rush
Drexel
Temple
Quinnipiac
Boston University
Tufts
Cincinnati
Georgetown
UMaryland
Rosalind Franklin
Geisinger

Any suggestions on my school list would be appreciated!

URM - African American
State of residency - NY
Undergrad - State School
sGPA - 3.65
cGPA - 3.75
MCAT - I took a pre-2015 MCAT. My score for the new MCAT is 514
Research - 200 hrs. No publication or presentation
Clinal volunteering - 500 hrs
Non-clinical volunteering - 350 hrs
Paid work - Nonclinical, 6000 hrs
Tutoring college students - 300 hrs for 1 year
Shadowing - 200+ hrs in three different specialties
Leadership - Sports team captain (intramural and local NY state tournaments)

School List:
NYU-LI
Columbia
Cornell
Sinai
Einstein
Dartmouth
Brown
Duke
Emory
Stony Brook
NYMC
Albany
Buffalo
Vermont
Rochester
SUNY Downstate
SUNY Upstate
Rush
Drexel
Temple
Quinnipiac
Boston University
Tufts
Cincinnati
Georgetown
UMaryland
Rosalind Franklin
Geisinger

Any suggestions on my school list would be appreciated!
You could add any of these schools:
Harvard
Pittsburgh
Case Western
Ohio State
Northwestern
U Chicago
Washington University
Vanderbilt
Miami

Hello, if anyone has any suggestions on a school list, I'd very much appreciate it!
URM: Black and Native American
State Residency: MO, ties to CA, AZ, NY
Undergrad: Service Academy
Major: Engineering
cGPA- 3.36
sGPA- 3.65
Post-bacc - 3.96, 30 credits
MCAT- 505
Research - 350 hrs
Clinical volunteering- 20 hrs in hospice
Military service - 5 years
Paid Work- 1400 hrs in healthcare construction
Paid Clinical Work - 800 hrs as a medical assistant
Shadowing- 80 hrs, cardiologist
Leadership -2900 hrs, military officer

Hello, if anyone has any suggestions on a school list, I'd very much appreciate it!
URM: Black and Native American
State Residency: MO, ties to CA, AZ, NY
Undergrad: Service Academy
Major: Engineering
cGPA- 3.36
sGPA- 3.65
Post-bacc - 3.96, 30 credits
MCAT- 505
Research - 350 hrs
Clinical volunteering- 20 hrs in hospice
Military service - 5 years
Paid Work- 1400 hrs in healthcare construction
Paid Clinical Work - 800 hrs as a medical assistant
Shadowing- 80 hrs, cardiologist
Leadership -2900 hrs, military officer
Your 2 Missouri state public schools
St. Louis
Howard
Meharry
Morehouse
UCLA Drew
TCU-UNT
Creighton
Loyola
Oakland Beaumont
Wayne State
Indiana
Ohio State
Cincinnati
Pittsburgh
Tulane
Miami
Emory
Georgetown
George Washington
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Seton Hall
Einstein
New York Medical College
Vermont
Dartmouth
Brown
Apply in the next week and submit all your secondaries by September.

Indiana
Howard
Meharry
Morehouse
UCLA Drew
Loyola
Oakland Beaumont
Wayne State
St. Louis
Creighton
TCU-UNT
Tulane
Miami
Emory
Eastern Virginia
Georgetown
George Washington
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Pittsburgh
Cincinnati
Einstein
New York Medical College
Vermont
Quinnipiac
Interview offer at Indiana!

• Love
Reactions: 9 users
How are folks doing?

How are folks doing?
Neutral? No II’s but no post-secondary R’s. Trying to stay calm about the silence. Also, not finished with secondaries but that’s because I keep getting nervous about my app and adding schools.

Neutral? No II’s but no post-secondary R’s. Trying to stay calm about the silence. Also, not finished with secondaries but that’s because I keep getting nervous about my app and adding schools.
Same. 1 hold and 1 “your application has been reviewed by our admissions committee” email and that’s it. Hopefully interview invites happen within the next couple of months

• Care
Reactions: 1 users
How are folks doing?
Surprisingly ok. Just facing criticism from family about schools I applied to. They don’t understand that you can’t just apply to the top 20 schools and call it a day. They are calling me selfish for applying broadly, saying I am taking up space and wasting time.

• Care
Sammmeeeee. I finally capped at 36 lol

Surprisingly ok. Just facing criticism from family about schools I applied to. They don’t understand that you can’t just apply to the top 20 schools and call it a day. They are calling me selfish for applying broadly, saying I am taking up space and wasting time.
Ah, we hate to see that. You didn't even apply to THAT many schools, in the grand scheme of med school admissions. But tbh, this process is so different from anything else, I feel like it's common for family members to misunderstand.

We're rooting for you!!

How are folks doing?
Got my first II yesterday from one of my top schools, so I’m super pumped! But also, manifesting some IIs for everyone else, we’re all gonna make it 🥳

• Love
  • Care
Reactions: 10 users
Post your score here when available.
URM- Non-trad career changer (spent 6 years working in development and fundraising for healthcare non-profit), Hispanic, Female, Immigrant (Realized after submitting I referred to myself as a first-gen American in my PS even though I re-read it a zillion times, hopefully they won't think much of this oversight on my part! *insert palm to face moment*)
cGPA- 3.46
sGPA- 3.66
Postbacc GPA - 3.84 (all science courses and pre-reqs because undergrad degree was business, only 2 Bs were in OChem)
MCAT- Just received score - 500
Clinical Volunteering- ~600 hours (inpatient volunteer on hem/onc unit of local children's hospital, intern in free clinic working with underserved/uninsured population, COVID vaccination volunteer in underserved location)
Nonclinical Volunteering - ~1000 hours (Big Brothers Big Sisters, international opportunities focused on education accessibility, various undergrad volunteering - therapeutic equine therapy, literacy tutoring, Teach for America advocate, etc.)
Work: ~12,500 post-grad in first career (non-profit industry: senior level director & now regional consultant), 1 year of scribing in ED, ~1500 hours with various undergraduate jobs and summer internships
Shadowing- ~30 hours in person - OBGYN (restricted due to COVID, confirmed plans for 20 more this summer), 25 Virtual
Leadership - Many leadership roles held in Greek organizations/other student orgs in undergrad, served as chair of local nonprofit fundraiser post-grad
Other - I anticipate from the individuals asked, I have 8 very strong LOR options to provide to schools, overall I feel really great about my application, aside from that MCAT score.

Potential School list: State schools, SLU, Loyola, Georgetown, Rush, Colorado, Vermont, TCU, Dartmouth, Tufts, @Faha would love any other thoughts!

Going through this process blindly as a career changer has been an uphill battle so I greatly appreciate any thoughts/advice/feedback - thank you!!!

cGPA- 3.46
sGPA- 3.66
MCAT- Just received score - 500
Other - I anticipate from the individuals asked, I have 8 very strong LOR options to provide to schools, overall I feel really great about my application, aside from that MCAT score.

Going through this process blindly as a career changer has been an uphill battle so I greatly appreciate any thoughts/advice/feedback - thank you!!!
When are you planning to apply ?

When are you planning to apply ?
My application is already verified, so I was planning to apply this cycle and add in my schools today/tomorrow. Was hoping for a 505 at least so now Im questioning this year's app cycle but a big piece of me still wants to move forward with it.

My application is already verified, so I was planning to apply this cycle and add in my schools today/tomorrow. Was hoping for a 505 at least so now Im questioning this year's app cycle but a big piece of me still wants to move forward with it.
You could add these schools today to the ones you have listed above:
Creighton
Rosalind Franklin
Oakland Beaumont
Wayne State
Indiana
NOVA MD
George Washington
Drexel
Temple
Jefferson
Seton Hall