2012-2013 Panic Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Most depressing thing to see is the subforum for the 2013-2014 school specific thread up...Accidently went there when looking for my waitlist schools...sigh

Members don't see this ad.

Has anyone else been having this sudden weird desire to get into medical school? It's so strange.

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone else been having this sudden weird desire to get into medical school? It's so strange.

I have over the past several months. I think this week will be good to a lot of us waiters!!

wow acceptances come in till May? i thought they finish up by March and by now you don't have a chance.

wow acceptances come in till May? i thought they finish up by March and by now you don't have a chance.

Acceptances come in until the first day of class at your perspective school. The closer it gets to that day, the lower your chances are of getting in; there's always hope.

Good luck to those still waiting.

Would you guys say most of the acceptances post May 15th will come out this week??? Usually more than the first week? Cuz last week was extremely depressing especially from the school specific threads I'm waitlisted at. I can't take it anymore!!!! Haha

Would you guys say most of the acceptances post May 15th will come out this week??? Usually more than the first week? Cuz last week was extremely depressing especially from the school specific threads I'm waitlisted at. I can't take it anymore!!!! Haha

I think you will see more movement this week than last.

I think you will see more movement this week than last.

I feel like this really depends on the school. if the school is a ranked waitlist (not just high priority/regular, but actuallt ranked) I would doubt there is more movement since its just going through the people.

if the med school does not rank and looks at applicants again with respect to the current class make up, then I would assume that you would hear more this week as admissions people look over the waitlist and who they want to fillout their class' profile.

at least I hope so because my waitlist falls into the latter. I wouldn't start getting defeatist ever, but definitely stay optimistic until mid june! you all can do it!:thumbup:

Also, one thing to keep in mind is that med schools actually want to fill their class. If they start the year with some empty seats then they're losing all of that tuition money, so they have a vested interest in making sure their class is full. For that reason, as time goes on, my theory is that they look at applicants with 0 acceptances a little more favorably because they know for certain if they accept you you'll enroll. Just my thoughts :)

Why would a ranked waitlist matter in regards to accepting more people in the next few weeks? The number of people accepted off the waitlist would be the same...?

Why would a ranked waitlist matter in regards to accepting more people in the next few weeks? The number of people accepted off the waitlist would be the same...?

My thinking, conjecture, is that if you have everyone ranked 1-400 (let's say) then it is easier to go through the waitlist. you just take the people in numerical order.

the school I am waitlisted at does not do that (or at least claims they do not do that). so if you have not ranked people that means you need to, or I think you would need to, go back and look over applications again and discuss who to admit. you cannot just go straight off a predetermined list.

If what I said above is true, I would assume it takes longer to do a non-ranked waitlist than a ranked waitlist. that is all I meant.

Members don't see this ad :)
Also, one thing to keep in mind is that med schools actually want to fill their class. If they start the year with some empty seats then they're losing all of that tuition money, so they have a vested interest in making sure their class is full. For that reason, as time goes on, my theory is that they look at applicants with 0 acceptances a little more favorably because they know for certain if they accept you you'll enroll. Just my thoughts :)

If only there was a way to elegantly tell them that you have no acceptances and would pay their deposit within an hour if accepted lol

I actually know a guy who, after graduating from Case Western with a 4.0 and a good MCAT, got rejected from every med school he applied to, including Case Western's. He sent Case numerous letters of interest and they finally accepted him the day before classes started.

I really wonder how applicants like these get rejected...

I really wonder how applicants like these get rejected...

LOR writers that want to sabotage you

Being a bad interviewer

Or just actually not being a good/nice person. I think a lot of SDN'ers overlook this.

I don't think schools really care if you have a 3.8 or a 4.0. He is really smart. Time to assess the next hoop that he may or may not have jumped through. After getting feedback from some of my schools they actually don't care a whole lot about stats once you pass a certain threshold. Don't get me wrong, higher is always better but at some point stats just don't make up for the kid without any serious character building experiences.

Can they also see where you are wait listed/rejected from?

No. But here is where some information between SDN doesn't quite line up with what is shown on the AAMC website. Here is copied and pasted from their FAQs:

In the spring of each application cycle (usually in early April), schools will have access to the Multiple Acceptance Report, which will show them which of their accepted applicants are holding acceptances from other schools.

For example, let's say you applied to schools A, B, X, and Y. You were accepted by A and B. When the Multiple Acceptance Report becomes available, schools A and B will both see that you have been offered acceptance at the other school. You were rejected by school X, so they won't see any information about where you were accepted. No action has been taken by school Y, so they won't see any information about where you were accepted. If school Y accepts you a week later, school Y will then see that you are holding offers from A and B, and A and B will know that you now have an offer from Y as well.

So it seems like Y could be a waitlist school or it could be a school that hasn't announced their decision. The quote says "no action has been taken from Y" so it is probably a no decision has been announced, but is a waitlist considered a decision?

SDN frequently says schools with students on their waitlist can see if they have been accepted at other schools but I can't find that exact quote on the AAMC website.

No. But here is where some information between SDN doesn't quite line up with what is shown on the AAMC website. Here is copied and pasted from their FAQs:

So it seems like Y could be a waitlist school or it could be a school that hasn't announced their decision. The quote says "no action has been taken from Y" so it is probably a no decision has been announced, but is a waitlist considered a decision?

SDN frequently says schools with students on their waitlist can see if they have been accepted at other schools but I can't find that exact quote on the AAMC website.

Correct me if I'm wrong but this makes it seem like only the schools who have accepted you can see where else you have been accepted because it states that both X and Y could not see that information previous to Y accepting you. Is that right? Sorry to derail any other convo's just trying to make sure I'm getting it right.

Correct me if I'm wrong but this makes it seem like only the schools who have accepted you can see where else you have been accepted because it states that both X and Y could not see that information previous to Y accepting you. Is that right? Sorry to derail any other convo's just trying to make sure I'm getting it right.

That's what it sounds like to me which goes against what people of SDN say, myself included.

If you can find something contrary on their website, please post it! For now, I would go on the assumption that if you are waitlisted then schools can't see if you have an acceptance.

Anecdotally, it seems that these schools have more access to info on where you have been accepted than they should or is published per AAMC.

BABS, isn't that the April report? I thought more information became available to schools on May 15th? Or could I be wrong?

It's in the AMCAS Instructions.

To add on, can schools you've been accepted/ waitlisted tell where specifically you're accepted to? Or do they just know how many acceptances you're holding?

Also to clarify, none of the schools can tell where you are waitlisted?

They already know if you are holding no acceptances...

sooo this is a little inaccurate. schools will only be able to tell that you hold no acceptances AFTER they accept you. if you are on their waitlist, you are not considered an "accepted" student to their school. thus, they are not given any information from the AAMC about your acceptance status at other schools.

tl;dr only when a school accepts you can they see who else has accepted you.

sooo this is a little inaccurate. schools will only be able to tell that you hold no acceptances AFTER they accept you. if you are on their waitlist, you are not considered an "accepted" student to their school. thus, they are not given any information from the AAMC about your acceptance status at other schools.

Not true according to the AAMC handbook:

"The AAMC shares acceptance information across schools in order to assist medical schools
adhere to AAMC recommendations. These data are shared as follows:
a) Beginning in February of each year, a medical school that has accepted an applicant can view the other school or schools that have accepted the applicant, if applicable.
b) Beginning in April of each year, a medical school can view the school or schools that
have accepted an applicant, even if that applicant has not yet been accepted by the
medical school."

This is one reason why people hate the AAMC. These two things are both on their website but contradict each other a little.

In the spring of each application cycle (usually in early April), schools will have access to the Multiple Acceptance Report, which will show them which of their accepted applicants are holding acceptances from other schools.

For example, let's say you applied to schools A, B, X, and Y. You were accepted by A and B. When the Multiple Acceptance Report becomes available, schools A and B will both see that you have been offered acceptance at the other school. You were rejected by school X, so they won't see any information about where you were accepted. No action has been taken by school Y, so they won't see any information about where you were accepted. If school Y accepts you a week later, school Y will then see that you are holding offers from A and B, and A and B will know that you now have an offer from Y as well.

Beginning in April of each year, a medical school can view the school or schools that have accepted you, even if you have not yet been accepted by the medical school.

So who knows what they actually have access to.

"The AAMC shares acceptance information across schools in order to assist medical schools
a) Beginning in February of each year, a medical school that has accepted an applicant can view the other school or schools that have accepted the applicant, if applicable.
b) Beginning in April of each year, a medical school can view the school or schools that
have accepted an applicant, even if that applicant has not yet been accepted by the
medical school."

well this is definitely a tail between the legs moment. even with my fallacies on the table, it just doesn't make sense to reveal that much information to medical schools. seems a tad bit like a breach of trust to the applicants. the AAMC needs to clam up about my lack of acceptances, for real.

medical school."

Got it. So they don't see where else your waitlisted then?

well this is definitely a tail between the legs moment. even with my fallacies on the table, it just doesn't make sense to reveal that much information to medical schools. seems a tad bit like a breach of trust to the applicants. the AAMC needs to clam up about my lack of acceptances, for real.

Schools for which you are on the waitlist can definitely see not only that you are accepted to another school, but exactly what school that is. I know this, because I was called in off of a waitlist, and the Dean actually said that she saw that I was holding an acceptance at X school, and hoped that I would still want to attend her school, instead.

Schools for which you are on the waitlist can definitely see not only that you are accepted to another school, but exactly what school that is. I know this, because I was called in off of a waitlist, and the Dean actually said that she saw that I was holding an acceptance at X school, and hoped that I would still want to attend her school, instead.

so you were accepted off of a waitlist and then the dean said that she saw you were accepted somewhere else? how does this prove that she knew about your acceptance elsewhere before accepting you off the waitlist? sounds like only when she accepted you did she receive info about your other acceptances. feel me? again though, i could be completely wrong.

so you were accepted off of a waitlist and then the dean said that she saw you were accepted somewhere else? how does this prove that she knew about your acceptance elsewhere before accepting you off the waitlist? sounds like only when she accepted you did she receive info about your other acceptances. feel me? again though, i could be completely wrong.

When the Dean called to let me know that they were offering me a spot, prior to my actually accepting the spot, she already knew what school I was currently holding an acceptance for. I don't think that you are considered "accepted" per AMCAS until you accept the offer. Otherwise, schools could just say, "We have decided to accept so-and-so" before calling just to see if you are holding other offers, then rescind said acceptance w/out ever notifying the student, and that just doesn't make any sense:rolleyes:.

When the Dean called to let me know that they were offering me a spot, prior to my actually accepting the spot, she already knew what school I was currently holding an acceptance for. I don't think that you are considered "accepted" per AMCAS until you accept the offer. Otherwise, schools could just say, "We have decided to accept so-and-so" before calling just to see if you are holding other offers, then rescind said acceptance w/out ever notifying the student, and that just doesn't make any sense:rolleyes:.

uhh wut? accepted students are just that-- accepted. they need not matriculate to be considered accepted by AAMC standards. i don't understand the logic you're using here.

That's what it sounds like to me which goes against what people of SDN say, myself included.

If you can find something contrary on their website, please post it! For now, I would go on the assumption that if you are waitlisted then schools can't see if you have an acceptance.

I was contacted by a WL school saying they wanted to offer me a seat but saw I got into a "better" school. They asked if I would take their offer over the other and I said no... So I was never officially taken off the WL (I don't think?). They were obviously able to see what I was holding though.

Edit: No, to my understanding they cannot see where you are waitlisted.

No, after April we can also see where our waitlisted candidates have been accepted. We can't see where you are waitlisted (or rejected) at any point. Nor can we see where you have interviewed or applied.

uhh wut? accepted students are just that-- accepted. they need not matriculate to be considered accepted by AAMC standards. i don't understand the logic you're using here.

I would expect that for the purposes of AMCAS deciding what schools to share what data with, a school offering acceptance doesn't really mean anything until you accept the offer. . . . or maybe at least until they send out an official acceptance offer. Neither of those things had occurred yet (my application portal status had not changed, either), so there was nothing "official" out there to signify that I was accepted - just a verbal communication between the Dean and myself. How would AMCAS be able to decipher between me (offered acceptance) and someone had not yet had this verbal conversation (not offered acceptance)? They couldn't, which leads me to believe that she knew this information prior to deciding to offer me a spot.

As a side note - whether AMCAS considered "accepted" to be that the formal acceptance offer has been made with on-line portal update, or that the offer is accepted, neither would be the same as matriculating. Lots of people accepted several offers from several schools that they were able to hold up until May 15. Although they accepted these offers, they obviously won't matriculate at all of those schools.

Is it worth it to update schools where I am waitlisted that I've been accepted to an SMP? What should I say in this letter?

May post this as it's own thread fyi

I would expect that for the purposes of AMCAS deciding what schools to share what data with, a school offering acceptance doesn't really mean anything until you accept the offer. . . . or maybe at least until they send out an official acceptance offer. Neither of those things had occurred yet (my application portal status had not changed, either), so there was nothing "official" out there to signify that I was accepted - just a verbal communication between the Dean and myself. How would AMCAS be able to decipher between me (offered acceptance) and someone had not yet had this verbal conversation (not offered acceptance)? They couldn't, which leads me to believe that she knew this information prior to deciding to offer me a spot.

As a side note - whether AMCAS considered "accepted" to be that the formal acceptance offer has been made with on-line portal update, or that the offer is accepted, neither would be the same as matriculating. Lots of people accepted several offers from several schools that they were able to hold up until May 15. Although they accepted these offers, they obviously won't matriculate at all of those schools.
If a school makes an offer they must notify AMCAS whether you accept it not.

If a school makes an offer they must notify AMCAS whether you accept it not.

I wasn't sure if they had to or not, but in this scenario, I doubt that the school had already notified AMCAS of the acceptance offer prior to calling. I could be wrong, but it would seem to me that the school would be required to have actually made the acceptance offer prior to informing AMCAS.

I wasn't sure if they had to or not, but in this scenario, I doubt that the school had already notified AMCAS of the acceptance offer prior to calling. I could be wrong, but it would seem to me that the school would be required to have actually made the acceptance offer prior to informing AMCAS.
It can happen in either order.

Sigh trying to find volunteer positions at the hospital
Literally all of them are folding brochures and photocopying
I need to improve my application but there are no good volunteer positions

I'm really depressed. I need help guys

Sigh trying to find volunteer positions at the hospital
Literally all of them are folding brochures and photocopying
I need to improve my application but there are no good volunteer positions

I'm really depressed. I need help guys

Did you try looking into positions at local free clinics? They have much more patient contact, and the work is more interesting.

Most hospitals are overcrowded with premeds as volunteers. I was shocked to find out you had to get on a waiting list to get a volunteer position at almost all the hospitals in my area.