2012-2013 Panic Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Probably not, since some of those accepted could still withdraw or defer. That's why they could potentially call up someone from the waitlist right up to orientation.

Nice I love panicking

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I've been following this thread for a long time...2nd time applicant, 20+ rejections, 1 interview = 1 WL.

cGPA 3.87 sGPA 3.82 MCAT 33O

...and finally in! accepted to U of Toronto.

Good luck guys! everyone's so close to their dreams. Just keep trying!

I've been following this thread for a long time...2nd time applicant, 20+ rejections, 1 interview = 1 WL.

cGPA 3.87 sGPA 3.82 MCAT 33O

...and finally in! accepted to U of Toronto.

Good luck guys! everyone's so close to their dreams. Just keep trying!
Congratulations!

They made their first wave of post May 15 decisions today. Maybe we were in them??

Did they tell you this information on the phone? When did you call. I feel like whenever I call, I cannot get any info out of them!

Did they tell you this information on the phone? When did you call. I feel like whenever I call, I cannot get any info out of them!

Yes they told me when I called. No change in status for me :(((((

Members don't see this ad :)
Hand is hovering over the panic button but keep telling myself to wait until June to hit it.

10 MD Interviews
7 Waitlists
2 Rejections
1 Pending

Hand is hovering over the panic button but keep telling myself to wait until June to hit it.

10 MD Interviews
7 Waitlists
2 Rejections
1 Pending

7?! Dude you've gotta get in somewhere.

7 is crazy, you're bound to get in.

For me:
27 schools
5 interviews
5 waitlists

Everyone keeps asking me every day if i've heard anything...sigh

Thats the part I hated the most. Some people wouldnt even say hi to me. Just "have you heard anything yet?" drove me nuts....

Thats the part I hated the most. Some people wouldnt even say hi to me. Just "have you heard anything yet?" drove me nuts....

+1-My family was especially guilty of this.

The waitlist kitteh-- ''No,I haven't heard anything yet,"--basically became my motto.

The waitlist kitteh-- ''No,I haven't heard anything yet,"--basically became my motto.

Seriously. I kept saying "Im moving up slowly but still dont know". It got sooo old. Nice to actually say otherwise now but I'm sure even saying I've been accepted will get mundane after awhile.

So realstically, how much more movement can we see at some of these schools between now and june?

I mean if people had to choose what school they were going to on May 15th, what else will make the list move?

So realstically, how much more movement can we see at some of these schools between now and june?

I mean if people had to choose what school they were going to on May 15th, what else will make the list move?

People offered positions at a school that they are waitlisted at may withdraw from an acceptance that they are currently holding, resulting in a spot opening up at that school, or decline the acceptance from the waitlist, resulting in a spot opening at the other school. Everyone has a given timeframe to respond to the acceptance offer, maybe up to a couple of weeks, which will cause a delay in some of the ripple effects.

In addition:
- Some students may choose to defer admission, opening up a seat for this year.
- Schools usually hold a few seats in case anyone from their freshman class needs to
repeat MS1. They should determine whether or not that is a factor in the next week or
so.
- Some schools don't even address the waitlist until they feel that most of their
withdrawals due to being accepted off of waitlists have come through, so that they have
a good idea of what they are looking at, from a demographics perspective. These
schools don't usually start pulling from the wait list until June. They usually indicate that
when they usually see movement.

Usually schools give you ~2 weeks to accept their offer
People might still be turning down acceptances as they get accepted off more waitlists

My institution at second look mentioned that people have the right to hold multiple acceptances until classes start. Maybe this is completely incorrect, but it was definitely said. She mentioned that they just send progressively more angry emails the closer to August they get. Then those emails turn to phone calls.

Another week comes to a close with no calls or emails.....sigh* I wonder when it will be my turn for good news. :(

This post may 15 period has been pretty underwhelming.

7 is crazy, you're bound to get in.

Even worse when people assume that you've gotten in.

"Dude, so you're heading off to med school soon right?? :highfive:"

"No...no I'm not. :lame:"

Accepted today. :D

The fist time I've been panic free in a few months. Hang in there everyone still waiting!

I am leaving to go abroad on Monday for vacation. It will be a much needed break from real life and SDN. Good luck to all you people waiting for your first acceptance. I will be waiting with you from across the Atlantic!

... so i started my 2014 AMCAS today :(
i'm still waiting for one school but there's not much hope left.

My TMDSAS and AMCAS apps were in within the first two days of submission for each, respectively. 33Q and 3.8, 6WL, 13R and 0 acceptances. Not sure where I go from here...

Wishing for good vibes and good luck for everybody else in this situation!

Wow. What state are you in? I looked at your profile. I'm shocked that you didn't get an acceptance with 6 IIs.

Wow. What state are you in? I looked at your profile. I'm shocked that you didn't get an acceptance with 6 IIs.

I'm a CO resident with strong ties to Texas hoping to end up there. The 10% rule destroys any realistic chance of going to a Texas school as an OOS.

I'm a CO resident with strong ties to Texas hoping to end up there. The 10% rule destroys any realistic chance of going to a Texas school as an OOS.

You still have an excellent chance being on six waitlists, but if you do have to apply again, you'll definitely need to apply broader and to more schools. Many of the schools you applied to have strong in-state preference (especially Texas) or they are the schools that are getting TONS of applications. I'd definitely take a look at MSAR and see how many applications specific schools get & understand that the ones with a higher number of applications give you a lower shot.

You should definitely look at the Florida schools, they are pretty good with out of state & have great schools. There are also a lot of other great schools in the Midwest and North East which aren't so tied to their own in-state students (even some of the publics).

Good luck! :luck:

You still have an excellent chance being on six waitlists, but if you do have to apply again, you'll definitely need to apply broader and to more schools. Many of the schools you applied to have strong in-state preference (especially Texas) or they are the schools that are getting TONS of applications. I'd definitely take a look at MSAR and see how many applications specific schools get & understand that the ones with a higher number of applications give you a lower shot.

You should definitely look at the Florida schools, they are pretty good with out of state & have great schools. There are also a lot of other great schools in the Midwest and North East which aren't so tied to their own in-state students (even some of the publics).

Good luck! :luck:

Thanks for the advice. I'm just more frustrated because those are all things that I thought I did well last year. I spent two or three weeks straight going through the MSAR trying to decide which midwest schools to apply to based on my stats and the out-of-state odds. I know the Texas schools have the extreme in-state preference, but I want to stay here so badly that I decided to play the numbers game with the 9 schools here. I'll definitely check out the Florida schools this go around as well. I'll be applying D.O. this year too, I don't want to be in this position again next year.

Thanks for the advice. I'm just more frustrated because those are all things that I thought I did well last year. I spent two or three weeks straight going through the MSAR trying to decide which midwest schools to apply to based on my stats and the out-of-state odds. I know the Texas schools have the extreme in-state preference, but I want to stay here so badly that I decided to play the numbers game with the 9 schools here. I'll definitely check out the Florida schools this go around as well. I'll be applying D.O. this year too, I don't want to be in this position again next year.

You still have a good chance this year. You are right in preparing your application and planning again for this upcoming cycle. Better to be safe than sorry. Goodluck!

Oh, you're not a Texas resident. What are your "strong ties"?

Looking over your list, it looks like you applied to too many OOS publics and not enough mid-tier/low-tier privates.

Were you accepted to any DO schools?

I'd love to get y'all's list of mid to low tier private schools! I didn't apply to any DOs other than TCOM this year.

I'll definitely check out the Florida schools this go around as well. I'll be applying D.O. this year too, I don't want to be in this position again next year.

UCF and Miami are the only 2 Florida schools where OOSers stand a reasonable chance, fyi.

UCF and Miami are the only 2 Florida schools where OOSers stand a reasonable chance, fyi.

This.

UCF is unusual for a public school as they admit 20% of their class from OOS. Miami is private so they naturally are more OOS friendly. I'd would discourage applying to the other FL schools. Also, OOS tuition for a FL public school is around 60k, so you need to take that into account.