2012-2013 Panic Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Yea just apply MD/DO. Take couple years to beef up app if you are not competitive at those. Those years will be worth it rather than taking the risk of a Caribbean school.

Agree with not applying Caribbean.

PS. is this thread was started last August 21 or something, can't believe people started panicking that early

Members don't see this ad.

First gen panicker here

Got an interview invite for a scribe job. So excited!
Replied to their email like 10 days ago
No response

Haven't been getting responses to questions I send to schools
No replies to updates/LOI
Sometimes I feel like my emails arent getting sent out

First gen panicker here

No response

Oh wow, didn't you apply for the scribe position a while ago? I'm glad to hear that they still consider people after a while. You should keep badgering them.

Members don't see this ad :)
Agree with not applying Caribbean.

PS. is this thread was started last August 21 or something, can't believe people started panicking that early

This was because interview invites were already flying around some school specific threads by the end of July. So one month later and no word yet was already scary :)

First gen panicker here

No response

Hey I also applied to be a scribe almost a month ago. How long did they take to get back to you for the interview invite?

Does anyone know how much of your old personal statement you can use in your second round application? I'm definitely going to add something about the reasons that I'm reapplying and maybe one new experience. But can I keep most of the other paragraphs the same? Especially the intro story and last paragraph.

Hey I also applied to be a scribe almost a month ago. How long did they take to get back to you for the interview invite?

3 months but I put down June as when I could start working

Does anyone know how much of your old personal statement you can use in your second round application? I'm definitely going to add something about the reasons that I'm reapplying and maybe one new experience. But can I keep most of the other paragraphs the same? Especially the intro story and last paragraph.

I would try your best to make it as different as possible. My second personal statement is almost completely different from first.

I would try your best to make it as different as possible. My second personal statement is almost completely different from first.

This. I reapplied twice. Each application had different essays. This includes the PS, secondary essays, ec descriptions

Hang in there guys. Reapplying truly sucks...but finally making it makes it all worth it

This. I reapplied twice. Each application had different essays. This includes the PS, secondary essays, ec descriptions

Advice for making them different? I'm particularly worried about the PS because I really think the last one was great (I got great feedback) and I have no idea where to start with a different one.

Advice for making them different? I'm particularly worried about the PS because I really think the last one was great (I got great feedback) and I have no idea where to start with a different one.

That's a tricky one. I'd say it helps if you have a sense of why you didn't get in--and think about your shortcomings this cycle. In terms of the delivery of the PS--try by starting over and writing about your experiences in a different order--this can help you think of new things to say. The reality is there will be overlap in themes and ideas, but I know for me every time I read my PS again I think of new wording, new ways to communicate your ideas. You can also consider rewriting your ec descriptions first for themes and ideas.

For me, my first time applying was very poorly executed. So when I reapplied immediately the year after, I improved what I had. Finally, this cycle, since its been a few years and I took time off--my PS themes and ideas are different.

That's a tricky one. I'd say it helps if you have a sense of why you didn't get in--and think about your shortcomings this cycle. In terms of the delivery of the PS--try by starting over and writing about your experiences in a different order--this can help you think of new things to say. The reality is there will be overlap in themes and ideas, but I know for me every time I read my PS again I think of new wording, new ways to communicate your ideas. You can also consider rewriting your ec descriptions first for themes and ideas.

For me, my first time applying was very poorly executed. So when I reapplied immediately the year after, I improved what I had. Finally, this cycle, since its been a few years and I took time off--my PS themes and ideas are different.

You applied 3X? Congrats on finally making it but how did you find the motivation to apply the third time after having been rejected the first 2? Most applicants usually stop at 2.

Members don't see this ad :)
You applied 3X? Congrats on finally making it but how did you find the motivation to apply the third time after having been rejected the first 2? Most applicants usually stop at 2.

Haha thanks. Truthfully I wasn't sure I was gonna apply this third time around. After my second attempt failed I decided that I needed to take a step back and really evaluate why I wanted to pursue medicine. It made me question where I was coming from, and the barrier of applying again forced to me to make sure that this was something that I truly wanted. I took a few extra years off, where I matured a lot as a person, but also had a chance to explore working, and a chance to evaluate if medicine was truly still a passion if mine. I liken it to graduating from college and having to pick and choose your friends and where you invest your time and energy. No longer is it convenient and easy just to have all these ppl who are going through the same classes with you and call them friends--you pick and choose and truly invest in the relationships you deem valuable. In the same way, taking some time off, facing failure twice, forced me to evaluate how serious I was about profession. Ultimately, I decided that, yeah, this is what I really wanted for my life--so upi applied a third time--and here I am!

So it is possible guys. It may feel impossible but if this is something you are truly passionate about and you let that passion and ability shine through your application--you can make it, even after 3x app cycles and good number of years. PM me if y'all have other questions about reapplying, etc...but keep your head up! If you're just out of school--trust me, you're still young, and honestly I think I'm going to be a better med student because I've taken time off. I was nowhere mature enough as a college senior :)

7 waitlists and the only one that has had any significant SDN waitlist movement is SUNY Downstate but I'm OOS. This is beyond frustrating.

Seven!?! Wow that's rough :(. A good friend of mine is also WL at downstate. Why hasn't there been any movement this year? Is it possible that maybe those accepted off the WL just don't post on SDN? There's been no reported WL movement at NYMC or evms since mid may...

Just accept your fate and become a reapplicant
You'll become much happier

7 waitlists and the only one that has had any significant SDN waitlist movement is SUNY Downstate but I'm OOS. This is beyond frustrating.
5 waitlists and the only one that has had any significant SDN waitlist movement is SUNY Downstate but I'm OOS. This is beyond frustrating.

5 waitlists and the only one that has had any significant SDN waitlist movement is SUNY Downstate but I'm OOS. This is beyond frustrating.

Same, except I have 4 waitlists instead of 5. Hopefully SUNY Downstate continues to move....

Same, except I have 4 waitlists instead of 5. Hopefully SUNY Downstate continues to move....

I just withdrew from DS!! And I'm from CA so an OOS spot just opened up! Gluck guys!!

I'm seriously craving to get in, ugh, re-application just about ready to submit but Gosh! I don't want to redo this process, all those secondaries, and taking an extra year of classes just incase I need to apply a 3rd time ;/ UGHHHHH

I'm seriously craving to get in, ugh, re-application just about ready to submit but Gosh! I don't want to redo this process, all those secondaries, and taking an extra year of classes just incase I need to apply a 3rd time ;/ UGHHHHH

Apply a third time? You should be okay for osteopathic schools. Why don't you apply DO this time?

Apply a third time? You should be okay for osteopathic schools. Why don't you apply DO this time?

Because I really think, that for sure, if I need to reapply a 3rd time, I think I'll be able to get MD, I'd rather wait an extra year. Nothing against D.O. but my stats are decent enough to where theres no point in giving myself any disadvantages at all (no matter how miniscule)

I'll try now, I just have a terrible grade trend (2.85 senior yr) down from 3.8 junior year, gonna apply to a bunch of low tier/newer schools, if it doesn't work out, I'm taking an extra year of classes to fix my trend, and will apply next year :]

Because I really think, that for sure, if I need to reapply a 3rd time, I think I'll be able to get MD, I'd rather wait an extra year. Nothing against D.O. but my stats are decent enough to where theres no point in giving myself any disadvantages at all (no matter how miniscule)

I'll try now, I just have a terrible grade trend (2.85 senior yr) down from 3.8 junior year, gonna apply to a bunch of low tier/newer schools, if it doesn't work out, I'm taking an extra year of classes to fix my trend, and will apply next year :]

Are you dead set on reapplying this year then? I only ask bc many schools discourage applying to their program more than twice

Are you dead set on reapplying this year then? I only ask bc many schools discourage applying to their program more than twice

Yeah I am deadset, my school list is decently different though, the only schools I'm really reapply to are the UC's (states) and the schools I got II last year + 2-3 more safety schools.

I should still have many schools that I have not applied to or, only applied to once, if I need to apply a 3rd time.

Looks like your completely determined and have plenty of cash at hand. Good luck bro.

Accepted to one of my 6 waitlists today!

Congrats!

Yeah I am deadset, my school list is decently different though, the only schools I'm really reapply to are the UC's (states) and the schools I got II last year + 2-3 more safety schools.

I should still have many schools that I have not applied to or, only applied to once, if I need to apply a 3rd time.

Have you changed your application much during this past year?

I'm shocked with your stats you didn't get in...there must be something glaring wrong with your app that you have to correct. I saw that you had a terrible senior year GPA which is one aspect but I don't think that's the whole story.

Honestly If this is your third go around I hope you have something very different/fixed for your application. I'm from CA too and I know how hard it is for the UC's...if you don't have much changed, I think reapplying to them would be a waste. Definitely load up on more schools you haven't applied to yet...plenty of lower tier too. At the end of the day, getting into A medical school is all you need and you can rock your step 1's with hard work. I hate to see you not get in a 3rd time.

Have you changed your application much during this past year?

I'm shocked with your stats you didn't get in...there must be something glaring wrong with your app that you have to correct. I saw that you had a terrible senior year GPA which is one aspect but I don't think that's the whole story.

Honestly If this is your third go around I hope you have something very different/fixed for your application. I'm from CA too and I know how hard it is for the UC's...if you don't have much changed, I think reapplying to them would be a waste. Definitely load up on more schools you haven't applied to yet...plenty of lower tier too. At the end of the day, getting into A medical school is all you need and you can rock your step 1's with hard work. I hate to see you not get in a 3rd time.

This is my second app, I did not have the grade trend before, I applied after Junior year with a 3.74/34. I think I didn;t get in because of a very late app and pretty bad writing for my PS and activities.

This year I have a 3.64/34 and a bad trend, but will be early, and have written 1000x better PS + a couple of new activities + contiunation of old ones

I just checked a handful of schools websites, searched SDN, searched the web and could not find any.

Can you name a few of the many?

Minnesota doesn't even let you apply more than 3x, and if you get 2 consecutive rejections you have to take a year off before applying again.

Einstein is another school that won't allow you to apply after 2 cycles... explicitly says so in the secondary.