2012-2013 Georgetown University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
show us some love today georgetown!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Thinking about putting this in my love letter to Georgetown:

Roses are red
Violets are blue
I love you Georgetown
Please love me too

:p

Members don't see this ad :)
Sort of. There is just an overall religious presence with crucifixes in every room and sometimes seeing priests walk around. Plus, a few of the docs are jesuits or nuns (and we do have a nun in our class). You may get a small group leader who is a priest or nun.

For the most part, however, it's just like a regular school. I would say that most of the class is not Catholic or even really religious at all. The Jesuit focus is more about serving the underserved as opposed to any sort of religious focus in class.

The one exception is that it is a Catholic hospital. So, doctors can't prescribe birth control for contraceptive purposes and all that jazz. But for the most part, I don't think it affects patient care or education at all. Maybe if you wanted to be an OB-GYN (and weren't Catholic) it may seem frustrating. But beyond that, I wouldn't worry about the religious aspect too much. It's kinda cool and it's definitely a very tolerant and welcoming atmosphere.

Hey, I am a current GT3 and just wanted to clarify about the OB-GYN piece of this, I otherwise agree with the post.

The Catholic affiliation will not cause you to miss out on any part of your medical training, including birth control/abortion. You will learn all about it during the first two years and have the opportunity to apply that knowledge 3rd and 4th year.

During 3rd/4th year at Georgetown, you pick one of a few hospitals in DC for each of your clinical rotations. You do not always get exactly what you want just because there are 200 medical students each year and only so many spots for each clerkship.

For the OB-GYN clerkship, if you are at Georgetown (like I was), then you will not be exposed to birth control/contraceptive issues to the same degree as the students who choose to go to Virginia Hospital Center or Washington Hospital Center, hospitals that are affiliated with the medical school, but have no Catholic affiliation. I am strongly religious, although not Catholic, and was happy to be at Georgetown since I am not going into OB-GYN and had no desire to be involved with any abortions. Just my choice. The OB-GYN program here seemed excellent from my perspective, I loved all the attendings/residents that I interacted with. Great teachers, actually cared about their patients, solid fund of knowledge, etc.

Don't hesitate to consider Georgetown over the Catholic/OB-GYN thing. I was curious about how that would work out as well when I applied, but in hindsight it was a non-issue since people who want that exposure can just rotate through those other sites.

Accepted of the CAP via status change. No email, just checked for funsies. Interviewed 12/13, CAP'd 2/14, LOI sent 2/18. Good luck, everyone!

Same thing happened to me!! I just checked my status and found out I got in!!!! CAP'ed 2/14

Mine hasn't changed!!! :( Has anyone else CAPed around 12/6/12 get a status change yet?

I was CAPed 10/31/2012 and still nothing...so trust me when i say the wait is killing me..congrats to who got in! not sure what else i can do at this point!!!

You guys think thats it for March CAP movement or will there be more this week or next week?

Mine hasn't changed!!! :( Has anyone else CAPed around 12/6/12 get a status change yet?

CAP'd December 20th and nothing as well. Hoping for some news soon :( From what I can tell from last year though most of the movement doesn't really start until April, so fingers crossed!

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
looks like no more movement till april...hope people get into their number 1 and open some spots up

CAP moved so quickly for me was only on it for a month! ppl, write your letters!

hahah ya i wish mine was that short! i was Cap'd in October! have written 2 letters sent in two extra letters of support and sent grades..at this point i have no idea what to do! or what im doing wrong...

hahah ya i wish mine was that short! i was Cap'd in October! have written 2 letters sent in two extra letters of support and sent grades..at this point i have no idea what to do! or what im doing wrong...

I don't think we're doing anything wrong, there just hasn't been a lot of movement yet. Most does occur in April and hopefully we'll hear something good early next month. Lots of schools release decisions this month, so as people get into their top choices and withdraw at others we should see movement. Or at least that's what I keep telling myself so I don't get too impatient :p

Aiqbal: How do you know that there will be no more movement until April? did you call or something? Or are you just guessing?

Aiqbal: How do you know that there will be no more movement until April? did you call or something? Or are you just guessing?

Just guessing since in feb there was only one day when the CAP moved..so assuming itll be the same this month too..ya really hoping that april will be a good month!

I can confirm. I spoke with the school and was told they'd be going in to the CAP once a month

I was CAPed last night. Bummer. I know I am totally at the mercy of your SDNers by asking this, but can anyone tell me the three points we need to address in our response letters? I am out of town due to a family emergency and don't have that information with me, but I want to submit that letter ASAP. Thank you in advance!

I was CAPed last night. Bummer. I know I am totally at the mercy of your SDNers by asking this, but can anyone tell me the three points we need to address in our response letters? I am out of town due to a family emergency and don't have that information with me, but I want to submit that letter ASAP. Thank you in advance!

Simply address why Georgetown and also how you would contribute to the class. that's what I wrote down at least and what I made sure to include in my letter. Hope this helps!

Anyone hear anything on dates for second look day yet?

Any news yet for peeps who interviewed in February?

Also, my portal still just indicates that my secondary was submitted (so no II or IA reflected). Is that what everyone else had before they received a post-interview decision? Thanks!!

I was accepted a week from today. Interviewed 1/9. My portal said the same thing until I was accepted, so I think you're fine! =)

I'm planning on being there. Did anyone that recently got accepted off the CAP get an email or was it just a status update on the application page?

Just emailed Mrs. Sullivan with my LOI. Crossing my fingers to hear good news next time they review the CAPed group!

hey,
I was CAPed last week and just submitted an LOI this week. I would love to go to Georgetown! does anyone know if their CAP/waitlist is ranked or unranked, and if they're willing at all to let an applicant know their general position on the waitlist? :)

hey,
I was CAPed last week and just submitted an LOI this week. I would love to go to Georgetown! does anyone know if their CAP/waitlist is ranked or unranked, and if they're willing at all to let an applicant know their general position on the waitlist? :)
I'm pretty sure it's unranked

Withdrawing my acceptance here. Good luck CAPsters

Just got an email with login credentials for the Gtown and was really confused by the wording making it sound like I was accepted. So I logged on to the status application page and found out I was accepted!!! :eek: Accepted all the way back on March 5 actually! I don't know why I never got the email or a phone call or anything but I gotta say I'm happy I found out before the 3 week deadline to respond

does anyone know if we get an actual letter in the mail? or if its just online?

for people that were accepted off the CAP does the date change on your decision status or do you have to open and read the letter?

Anyone know when the next batch of 20-40-20 will be released? I interviewed mid-feb but am hoping that since they are no longer interviewing candidates they might be able to get through the last ones quicker than 8-10weeks.

I got email today around 6 saying that my status had changed. I logged on to find that I had been "rejected post-interview." Anyone else get updated today?

Can we bring guests to second look day? Do we have to register them somewhere? The link in the email doesn't seem to have a spot to mark if you are bringing a guest

October 22. CAPed December 5th

Sent from my iPad using SDN Mobile app

Congrats on your acceptance. I also interviewed on the same day and was CAPed the day after you.. still hoping for some good news.

Has anyone written a letter for CAP prior to thanksgiving and gotten taken off CAP yet? I'm beginning to feel more and more like I'm going to be one of the applicants not selected off CAP :(

Interviewed February 5th. Email of status change on March 14 - CAP'd.
I am excited to still be in the game. I was rejected post interview from Albert Einstein, so I am ecstatic to still have a chance at Georgetown.

Status
Not open for further replies.