2012-2013 George Washington University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
For anyone who got accepted- do you remember what day they called you? The admissions person wouldn't tell me when the adcom meets, but it'd be nice to have an idea of what day to expect a call.
Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
For anyone who got accepted- do you remember what day they called you? The admissions person wouldn't tell me when the adcom meets, but it'd be nice to have an idea of what day to expect a call.
Thanks!

Just going back and counting since May 15th there have been 3 people accepted on Tuesdays and 3 people accepted on Fridays.

How long after receiving an acceptance from GW off the WL do you have to submit a deposit/indicate that you will be attending?

Members don't see this ad :)
In the school budget, the school only allocates 1300 for room and utilities. What if a student would like to live close to campus. A studio or 1 BR in a 2B apartment runs at least 1500-1600 and with utilities around 1700. Can we borrow more than the cost of attendance estimate?

In the school budget, the school only allocates 1300 for room and utilities. What if a student would like to live close to campus. A studio or 1 BR in a 2B apartment runs at least 1500-1600 and with utilities around 1700. Can we borrow more than the cost of attendance estimate?
Not sure where you found that info, but the school allocates a LOT more for living. Check out this link: http://gwired.gwu.edu/finaid-g/Costs/#2014 That is just for graduate school in general, so the SOM obviously has different tuition rates, but that is what the school is calculating into your "need".

The SOM is weird, because they do have their own financial office (some of their information is outdated) but they offer "institution" financial aid after you've maxed your federal student loans, guaranteeing that you're able to cover everything.

Limited info, but you will definitely be borrowing a ton of money. Read up on the difference between federal grad and grad plus loans http://www.gwumc.edu/smhs/Fin-Aid/application/eligibility.html
Then there's also private loans, etc.

Not sure where you found that info, but the school allocates a LOT more for living. Check out this link: http://gwired.gwu.edu/finaid-g/Costs/#2014 That is just for graduate school in general, so the SOM obviously has different tuition rates, but that is what the school is calculating into your "need".

The SOM is weird, because they do have their own financial office (some of their information is outdated) but they offer "institution" financial aid after you've maxed your federal student loans, guaranteeing that you're able to cover everything.

Limited info, but you will definitely be borrowing a ton of money. Read up on the difference between federal grad and grad plus loans http://www.gwumc.edu/smhs/Fin-Aid/application/eligibility.html

My budget from the financial aid office says $14,670 for room and board for the academic year so Idk...

And this is the link westtoeast7 is probably referring to

http://www.gwumc.edu/smhs/Fin-Aid/sites/default/files/13-14 GW Med School Proposed Budgets.pdf

How often did you send update letters? Just updates or also interest?

also, just an fyi the budget above is based off a 9 month school year for 1st year students. So if you plan on using your loans to cover summer, you will be living super cheap,~1600/month for rent/food/personal expenses.

Does anyone know what the typical daily schedule is like for MS1s?

Members don't see this ad :)
I was accepted this cycle off the waitlist a couple weeks ago. Since I have been accepted around 10-15 ppl have posted that they were accepted recently and therefore I assume the waitlist so their has been some movement. Beyond that from some people I have spoken to, they have said they are holding this acceptance but waiting to hear back from other schools to make a final decision so their is still room for more movement.

If following last year's example, the flurry of activity around May 15th, with some more coming continually through mid-July, and as many as 4 or 5 in the last two weeks as they might scramble to fill some seats. I'm surprised the last information given to us didn't come out and say, "If accepted, will you pony up the cash if your aid package does not have the scholarship component?"

The specter of receiving an aid package consisting entirely of loans for about 70% of those receiving aid will be a bitter pill for many. For all but the most well off, accepted students will be looking at massive debt upon graduation. While this reality will force many accepted students to bail on the offer, some will accept, and the wait list tool will provide the balance that will allow GW to maintain their 2.7% acceptance rate.

No doubt, the allure of DC is strong. I can't remember where I read it, but the attitude towards accumulating substantial debt is quite different between those who are pre-med, and those who are post-med....with the post-med people fully understanding (and lamenting) the harsh reality of paying the cash back with post tax income.

If GW would give me $25K scholarship per year, I would be DC bound in a NY minute. It's not going to happen. I understand most waitlister's receive almost entirely loans. Can't do it.......spoke with too many MD's who regret their debt accumulation.

Yep, it could be worse though.....we could be going to law school. :naughty:

Accepted, Class of 2017

If following last year's example, the flurry of activity around May 15th, with some more coming continually through mid-July, and as many as 4 or 5 in the last two weeks as they might scramble to fill some seats. I'm surprised the last information given to us didn't come out and say, "If accepted, will you pony up the cash if your aid package does not have the scholarship component?"

The specter of receiving an aid package consisting entirely of loans for about 70% of those receiving aid will be a bitter pill for many. For all but the most well off, accepted students will be looking at massive debt upon graduation. While this reality will force many accepted students to bail on the offer, some will accept, and the wait list tool will provide the balance that will allow GW to maintain their 2.7% acceptance rate.

No doubt, the allure of DC is strong. I can't remember where I read it, but the attitude towards accumulating substantial debt is quite different between those who are pre-med, and those who are post-med....with the post-med people fully understanding (and lamenting) the harsh reality of paying the cash back with post tax income.

If GW would give me $25K scholarship per year, I would be DC bound in a NY minute. It's not going to happen. I understand most waitlister's receive almost entirely loans. Can't do it.......spoke with too many MD's who regret their debt accumulation.

Yep, it could be worse though.....we could be going to law school. :naughty:

Accepted, Class of 2017
Did you just get accepted to GW off the waitlist, or are you speaking from an outsider's perspective?

Did you just get accepted to GW off the waitlist, or are you speaking from an outsider's perspective?
Still waitlisted at GW. Information came from other students accepted after interviews, and students at the school, plus statistics about percentage of of aid packages that included scholarship monies. GW recognizes they are very compelling, as is Georgetown. Why else would the 60th ranked medical school, just coming off probation pull the number of applicants they do?

A few things I now understand.....there is no such thing as a "safety" school when it comes to medical school application. These schools are very savvy regarding those who are not likely at accept an invitation to attend. And, the conversion ration of accepted student to matriculating students is critical in rankings. And, the wait list is a tool that many schools use to their advantage to maintain an their acceptance ratio. This is all reasonable, especially with the middle tier private medical schools. My awareness of all this does not dissuade me from hoping for an acceptance from GW......and a scholarship. DC is special.

Surely those at GW don't like to read stuff like this...and I'm sure they have, but they should understand we are not oblivious to these things. We understand them as surely as we understand the basic premise of supply and demand, especially among those that are not state funded schools. Would this stop me from attending medical schools like GW or Tufts if the scholarship was right? Absolutely not. In a way it's like musical chairs, and neither the applicant nor the school wants to be on the wrong end when the music stops.

I'm not sure why they would give someone on the waitlist a scholarship if they wouldn't even give them an outright acceptance, but it's always wishful thinking :p

I doubt there will be more movement here. GW was my top choice this cycle and I spilled my heart out to them via LOIs. It just wasn't meant to be I guess. Maybe it's a good thing in the end bc it is a really expensive school/location

Surely those at GW don't like to read stuff like this...and I'm sure they have, but they should understand we are not oblivious to these things. We understand them as surely as we understand the basic premise of supply and demand, especially among those that are not state funded schools.

After reading your analysis, i had to be reminded that you are just speculating based on your assumptions on what goes on in admissions offices. Your argument is based on schools wanting a low acceptance rate and moving up in the silly US news ranks by increasing matriculation rates. There might be a little truth to that in undergraduate schools, but med school is an entirely different beast. First, the effect on US News rankings is completely unfounded. Research money & reputation have much greater influences.

Also, some people confuse a school's desire for students who are likely to attend as some conspiracy to benefit their numbers. Its more likely that admission offices want students who will be successful and HAPPY at their school. You also dont want to be in a position to fill up your class in late July. Not only is this extra work for adminiatrators that takes them away from the current app cycle but the student is also screwed because they have to secure financing quickly.

Anyway, this is me doing the same thing.... speculating.

If following last year's example, the flurry of activity around May 15th, with some more coming continually through mid-July, and as many as 4 or 5 in the last two weeks as they might scramble to fill some seats.

I guess I was just expecting more activity in June :/ That or ppl getting accepted aren't posting!!! Let's hope mid-July it is. This whole thing is a huge trickle down effect. Meanwhile, how are apps for 2014 going?! :naughty:

How do schools determine the number of seats in their class? Is it possible that they are waiting to add more seats?

-Wishfully Thinking...

Yeah good point. I guess I'm just an impractical optimist lol

Its an expensive school but they give a lot of financial aid. Gave me a scholarship that basically covers half tuition per year. I love this school!!:)

Just curious, but is GW in an area that has a lot of patient diversity? I'm looking to apply next year and would love to join a medical school that has diverse patient populations as those are the communities I hope to work in in the future

Just curious, but is GW in an area that has a lot of patient diversity? I'm looking to apply next year and would love to join a medical school that has diverse patient populations as those are the communities I hope to work in in the future

Well, it's in DC...

....so yes.

GW undergrad here. I worked in the hospital for 2 years and worked in the med school library for a year during my undergrad. For those looking for diverse populations, you'll definitely find it at GW. I worked in the ER and you'll see all types of folks in there. I will say that the area is very expensive and parking can be rough. But the metro is literally right next to the med school and hospital so that's a plus. Good luck to everyone who's still waiting!

For the "most significant achievement outside the classroom" question could I use getting EMT certified? It was a ton of hours and while it is a "class" it had nothing to do with my undergrad degree. What do you guys think?

Any reason to hope that spots for the incoming class will still open up at this point?

Any reason to hope that spots for the incoming class will still open up at this point?

I don't know, I wouldn't give up hope yet. Every year we hear stories of people accepted the day before classes start. No reason to think that can't be you or me this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.