2012-2013 George Washington University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
E-mail saying they may offer a few interviews very late in the spring and application has been kept on file.

Got the same thing idk what that means tho....

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
I got the same message. I totally agree with you guys...it really sucks. However, there is some hope.

I know someone that has been rejected from every school she applied to. She would love to be in this situation.

Agreed! I like your way of thinking!

+1 also got the email. I'm quite disappointed with how GW is handling this situation. They're basically telling us "you might have a chance but not really." Fortunately I have other acceptances and will be withdrawing immediately. It's just very unfortunate for those who haven't be accepted and are given false hope.

Last edited:
I got this email too. From last year it looks like one person did get a random interview in May or something, but I only saw one. Of course, SDN is only a subset of applicants.

I see this as a pre-rejection, but whatever, if they randomly decide to interview me later in the season that would be fine, I'm in DC anyhow.
+1
And may someone on here actually get the late interview! Best to all.

Haha I've got other acceptances and wait lists but i guess I won't withdraw. GW was my #1... Still. Kinda bummed.

RIGHT THO?! I started reading mine expecting it to be a rejection, and busted out laughing when I realized that it was another limbo letter. If you're done with interviews, then just clearly reject everyone and be done with it. Don't try to hedge your bets in case your accepted students choose elsewhere, or your waitlist pool isn't as strong as you wanted. The audacity of it all.

Thanks GW, but no thanks.

haha worddd. Thanks for the small, small, double-small pool email, GW. I also actually started laughing reading it.

Did anyone else get this message?
Thank you for your sincere interest in The George Washington University School of Medicine and Health Sciences. At this time, the Committee on Admissions has closed the formal weekly interview season for the Fall 2013 entering class. The Committee on Admissions regrets to inform you that we are not able to offer you an interview at this time. However, the Committee would like to keep your application in active status.

There is a very slim possibility that the Committee on Admissions may decide to offer a few interviews in late spring. Your file has been placed in a pool of applicants from which the Committee would select those to be interviewed. Should you have any updates for your file during this period, please send this information to [email protected]. Should you have the good fortune to be accepted to the MD Program of your choice, please inform us (via email at [email protected]) so that we may withdraw your application from future consideration. The Committee will be in contact with you in late April to communicate what they have decided regarding additional interviews.

Although this does not end what we are sure is an unpleasant waiting period for you, your desire to become a physician, your understanding of the requirements, and your perseverance are commendable. Again, we do want to emphasize that the regular interview season has closed and the possibility that we will offer a few interviews during the next few months is slim. In the event that your status changes, we will contact you. Please understand it will be some time before you hear from us again and accept our sincere apologies for the unpleasant wait.

We greatly appreciate your patience and truly wish you success in achieving your career goal.

Is this a rejection? Are they stringing me along?
i got this email too. i'm just gonna forget about this school.

Yeah, that email is absurd. On top of the alternate list email starting with "We are pleased to inform you..." this just takes the cake. I got other acceptances so I am going to withdraw. Good luck to all those waiting, especially those with no acceptances, I really am hoping the best for you and your success! :luck:

Yeah, that email is absurd. On top of the alternate list email starting with "We are pleased to inform you..." this just takes the cake. I got other acceptances so I am going to withdraw. Good luck to all those waiting, especially those with no acceptances, I really am hoping the best for you and your success! :luck:

Seriously, what is the thought process behind that waitlist email?

Members don't see this ad :)
II today, so it is possible. Not sure I'll be able to schedule it though

lol- nice to hear the small, extra small, limbo pool might be working out for someone after all!

hello all- to anyone who had interviewed and has not gotten a decision yet has your status changed from "correspondence regarding your application has been sent to you via e-mail" to something else?

I think that may mean you got in. Congrats! Mine says You have been chosen as an alternate

hello all- to anyone who had interviewed and has not gotten a decision yet has your status changed from "correspondence regarding your application has been sent to you via e-mail" to something else?

I think that may mean you got in. Congrats! Mine says You have been chosen as an alternate

When did you guys interview?

Would you mind telling us what your status shows now.

Mine hasn't said anything like that since before my interview. Immediately after my interview, my status changed to something like "Thank you for interviewing with us and please be patient as we review your application" and that status has not changed. However, I'm only 2 weeks post interview.

Just to clarify I could be wrong.. I'm not positive lol. I have the alternate status and I interviewed in October. I don't remember what my status said after my interview but before I got my decision (Alternate list).

I just interviewed Friday and my status on Sunday was correspondence sent. Ill check it again when I'm home to see if it's something else.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Anyone else feel like they're delusionally dancing to pass the time while on the waitlist?

I'm looking a little like Ron at the moment...
tumblr_m7ot46Ljrs1rvaly5o1_500.gif

Did anyone else get this message?
Thank you for your sincere interest in The George Washington University School of Medicine and Health Sciences. At this time, the Committee on Admissions has closed the formal weekly interview season for the Fall 2013 entering class. The Committee on Admissions regrets to inform you that we are not able to offer you an interview at this time. However, the Committee would like to keep your application in active status.

There is a very slim possibility that the Committee on Admissions may decide to offer a few interviews in late spring. Your file has been placed in a pool of applicants from which the Committee would select those to be interviewed. Should you have any updates for your file during this period, please send this information to [email protected]. Should you have the good fortune to be accepted to the MD Program of your choice, please inform us (via email at [email protected]) so that we may withdraw your application from future consideration. The Committee will be in contact with you in late April to communicate what they have decided regarding additional interviews.

Although this does not end what we are sure is an unpleasant waiting period for you, your desire to become a physician, your understanding of the requirements, and your perseverance are commendable. Again, we do want to emphasize that the regular interview season has closed and the possibility that we will offer a few interviews during the next few months is slim. In the event that your status changes, we will contact you. Please understand it will be some time before you hear from us again and accept our sincere apologies for the unpleasant wait.

We greatly appreciate your patience and truly wish you success in achieving your career goal.

Is this a rejection? Are they stringing me along?

Did anyone who's waiting for an interview get a straight up rejection or did you all get this message?

Did anyone who's waiting for an interview get a straight up rejection or did you all get this message?

On earlier pages there were a few people who said they were just straight up rejected.

stats please!? I stil have some hope lol

when is your interview?

Hey my stats are 3.7c/3.6s/32Q, DC resident

They offered me 3/21 but let me move it to 3/28. I'm really excited to check out the school, and maybe a little curious as to what the adcom committee is like in person after all these silly runaround emails

Hey my stats are 3.7c/3.6s/32Q, DC resident

They offered me 3/21 but let me move it to 3/28. I'm really excited to check out the school, and maybe a little curious as to what the adcom committee is like in person after all these silly runaround emails
You'll never know :( They remain in their Ivory Towers :hungover:

Congrats and good luck!

I know the feeling (in my current city). Thanks for giving those of us on the WL and interview trail a shot. Good luck wherever you end up! :luck:
Welp there's the form I was talking about . Check your email. Will be withdrawing. Good luck! :)

Got the email/form for Alternated applicants too. Will be withdrawing. Good Luck everyone!
:luck::luck::luck:

I'm staying in the pool. Big Thanks to everyone who's not!

What form are you guys talking about?

This

GWU said:
Dear Mr. Guero:

We sincerely appreciate your continued interest in The George Washington University School of Medicine and Health Sciences. At this time, you currently remain active as a member of our alternate pool.

The AAMC guidelines state that an applicant may only hold one seat after May 15, 2013. Most of our movement from the alternate pool happens after this date, but some could occur before that date.

We do anticipate making offers to alternates. The alternate list is very fluid and organic. You are in a pool of alternates. Please note it is impossible to specify your standing in this alternate pool. Whether you will be offered a position in the 2013 entering class depends upon activity in the class as well as the alternate pool. This pool remains viable until early August.

In order to remain under consideration for a seat in our Fall 2013 entering class, at this time the Committee on Admissions requests that you complete the following form in its entirety (http://bit.ly/2013alternate). In completing this form, you may also include any additional information you would like have added to your file.

We need to receive this information by no later than 5pm EST on April 12, 2013. It is to your advantage to let us know if you remain interested as soon as possible.

Although this does not end what we are sure is an unpleasant waiting period for you, your desire to become a physician, your understanding of the requirements, and your perseverance are commendable. In the event that your status changes, we will contact you immediately. Please be sure to notify us if your contact information changes. If we cannot reach you, we must move onto another alternate.

Please note that if we have not heard from you by April 12th, we will assume you are no longer interested in the possibility of attending The George Washington School of Medicine and Health Sciences and will, unfortunately withdraw your application from consideration.

Please be reminded that you are welcome to update your file at any time with new information by emailing [email protected].

We realize that you may be holding other seats at this time, and we sincerely hope that you continue to wish to join the GW medical community!

You should be very proud and recognize that your selection as an alternate has been made from a large group of very talented applicants. Again, please note we anticipate making offers to those in the alternate pool, but are unable to specify your particular chances of receiving an acceptance and apologize that we cannot be more specific. We appreciate your continued interest in our program and your patience throughout this process.

Sincerely,

Diane P. McQuail, M.A.
Assistant Dean of Admissions

For more in depth information about the alternate list, please visit: http://smhs.gwumc.edu/mdprograms/admissions/faqs/2013alternatelist

where would I include a letter of intent on this form? in the updates section? Or just email them separately?

I'm staying in the pool as well - just keep swimming, right?

What are everyone's plans as far as the updated info portion of the form? I just sent an update letter about 3 weeks ago so I'm not sure if I can squeeze anything else noteworthy about myself. If I do anything, I was thinking about writing a "why I'm still interested in GW" sort of thing. Not sure if that would be appropriate to write or not though.

Best of luck, all.:luck:

Thanks, Guero.

I hope for the sake of the people waiting on post-interview decisions that this doesn't indicate that the class is now full. :xf:

Thanks, Guero.

I hope for the sake of the people waiting on post-interview decisions that this doesn't indicate that the class is now full. :xf:

Haha that was a big waste of money then :( I interviewed exactly one week ago, and they told me I shouldn't hear back for another 8 weeks despite how late it is in the season. I'm hoping they're just saying that to cover their bases!

Edit: The person that usually leads the student tour was out my interview day so I just wanted to double check a few things that sounded a little off to me.

1. Are lectures audio recorded only? No visual?
2. Are powerpoint slides are provided to you via print out, but not always posted online?
3. Two groups of 6 per cadaver?! So thats 12 people a cadaver broken into Group A and Group B alternating days.

I went back through a lot of pages to find Guero's two reviews, but it didn't really touch on these points (except for the cadaver thing). Not sure who else gave feedback, so sorry if these are repeats!

Last edited:
Aaaaand, done! I really wore my heart on my seleeve. I hope it freakin' pays off. Best. Curriculum. EVER!

Thanks, Guero.

You're welcome. Well, by "traffic rules," the AAMC's recommendations, all schools should now have extended as many offers as they have seats. They may very well be full, but will see many withdrawals either way.

Haha that was a big waste of money then :( I interviewed exactly one week ago, and they told me I shouldn't hear back for another 8 weeks despite how late it is in the season. I'm hoping they're just saying that to cover their bases!
Let's hope!

Edit: The person that usually leads the student tour was out my interview day so I just wanted to double check a few things that sounded a little off to me.

1. Are lectures audio recorded only? No visual?
2. Are powerpoint slides are provided to you via print out, but not always posted online?
3. Two groups of 6 per cadaver?! So thats 12 people a cadaver broken into Group A and Group B alternating days.

I went back through a lot of pages to find Guero's two reviews, but it didn't really touch on these points (except for the cadaver thing). Not sure who else gave feedback, so sorry if these are repeats!
1. Lectures include video (to the best of my knowledge).
2. Printouts provided, may also be online.
3. I highly doubt that. I've only seen one (D.O.) school to do something so absurd.

I hope a current student can debunk what you heard... Anyone?

The feels, I know them. :lame:

I'm staying in the pool as well - just keep swimming, right?

What are everyone's plans as far as the updated info portion of the form? I just sent an update letter about 3 weeks ago so I'm not sure if I can squeeze anything else noteworthy about myself. If I do anything, I was thinking about writing a "why I'm still interested in GW" sort of thing. Not sure if that would be appropriate to write or not though.

Best of luck, all.:luck:

I am just updating them on what I have been doing.. I dunno about the "why I'm still interested in GW" as it is not really an update..

Hopefully we all make it off this list

I am just updating them on what I have been doing.. I dunno about the "why I'm still interested in GW" as it is not really an update..

Hopefully we all make it off this list
+1 Really wanting that call so bad right now, like crack.

Status
Not open for further replies.