2012-2013 George Washington University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Besides the 3 essay questions, what are the other components of the secondary app for GW? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

does anyone know if the character limit is with spaces or without? also for the question:

"For the 2012-2013 application cycle (Summer 2012 through Summer 2013), please indicate activities, academics, employment, or other occupations to account for full-time activity (approx. 30-40 hours per week)"

is it basically just asking what we are doing 2012-2013 year? should i list all my part-time and full-time activities in paragraph form? should i specify hours per week?

last but not least; for the question :
"Have you completed all of your pre-requisite coursework at an accredited U.S. or Canadian school? This includes one full year (8 semester hours: 6 lecture, 2 lab) each of Biology, General Chemistry, Organic Chemistry, and Physics, and a full year (6 semester hours) of English"

does anyone know if GW considers Organic Chemistry Laboratory as a prereq? I'm taking it this fall (and ive finished everything else) so i'm not sure whether to put it under as an explanation.

Thanks for the help!

ps: how do you view your secondary as PDF before submitting?

LOL I paid and submitted and this is what I got immediately?

Your application to The George Washington University School of Medicine & Health Sciences is complete and has been reviewed by the Admissions Committee. To date, no final decision has been made and the Admissions Committee has placed your application on hold for re-review at a later date. Files are re-reviewed by the committee periodically and there is no set schedule for decisions. We do interview from September through March. You are welcome to update your file via [email protected]. If we require any further documentation or if your status changes, we will contact you immediately. We do sincerely appreciate your interest in our program. Thank you for your patience.

That's a lie!

Mine says:

Your file is now complete. At this point we have received all the necessary credentials including your secondary application and your letters of recommendation in order for your application to be reviewed. While the committee does its best to review applications in a timely manner, please be aware that in order to do a thorough review of your file it may be several weeks until you hear from us again. We greatly appreciate your patience during the application process.

I'm not too sure what happened to all of you guys lol. I really dislike when these schools don't keep good tabs on the functionality of their applications.

Members don't see this ad :)
Mine says:

Your file is now complete. At this point we have received all the necessary credentials including your secondary application and your letters of recommendation in order for your application to be reviewed. While the committee does its best to review applications in a timely manner, please be aware that in order to do a thorough review of your file it may be several weeks until you hear from us again. We greatly appreciate your patience during the application process.

I'm not too sure what happened to all of you guys lol. I really dislike when these schools don't keep good tabs on the functionality of their applications.

how long ago did u submit

Mine says:

Same.

Sent from my X10i using SDN Mobile

Does anyone know where I can find info on the GW MD/PhD program? As far as I can tell, the MD joint page just links to the Institute for Biomedical Sciences graduate programs. Which, in turn, have absolutely no info on the joint degree.

I'd like to know:
* What the dual degree program structure consists of
- do MD classes count towards grad coursework
- how do lab rotations for MD/PhD students work
* What the average time taken by dual degree students is
* If the MCAT-cannot-be-substituted-for-GRE thing applies for MD/PhD applicants
* If there is any sort of connection between the two schools' applications as all, or if they are completely separate
* really, just everything

Besides the 3 essay questions, what are the other components of the secondary app for GW? Thanks!

Secondary fee is $125. Below is the entire secondary.

1. Application Fee Payment Code:

2. Have you ever registered at an institution under a different name?

If yes, please enter the name here:

Name of the institution:

3. Have you ever been convicted of, plead guilty, or plead no lo contendere (i.e., no contest, I do not wish to contend) to a criminal offense? Have you ever been arrested for a felony or misdemeanor?

If yes, please explain here: (500 characters)

4. Have you completed a minimum of 90 undergraduate semester hours at an accredited U.S. or Canadian school? (Note: Transfer credits from foreign institutions are NOT considered. Formal study abroad coursework through your degree-granting institution is acceptable if listed on your undergraduate transcript. AP course work can also be included if on undergraduate transcript.)

If not, by when? (100 characters)

5. Have you completed all of your pre-requisite coursework at an accredited U.S. or Canadian school? This includes one full year (8 semester hours: 6 lecture, 2 lab) each of Biology, General Chemistry, Organic Chemistry, and Physics, and a full year (6 semester hours) of English.
If not, by when? (100 characters)

6.For the 2012-2013 application cycle (Summer 2012 through Summer 2013), please indicate activities, academics, employment, or other occupations to account for full-time activity (approx. 30-40 hours per week) (750 characters)

7. What is your most significant achievement outside the classroom? (750 characters)

8. What is your specific interest in the MD Program at GW? What opportunities would you take advantage of as a student here? Why? (2000 characters)

good luck to everyone applying here!

same status about having all the credentials here. submit last night

same status about having all the credentials here. submit last night

Yeah I just submitted as well and they said they had all my letters and I was complete now that I turned my secondary in. No re-review or "hold" mess on my end. Weird how there is a discrepancy.

Your application to The George Washington University School of Medicine & Health Sciences is complete and has been reviewed by the Admissions Committee. To date, no final decision has been made and the Admissions Committee has placed your application on hold for re-review at a later date...

Is that a soft reject?

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm guessing you havent done this already, but go back and read through this thread. That message you got has been discussed thoroughly.

Had not, but just did. Thanks!

does anyone have any problem scrolling down to the very bottom of the secondary? At first, I used firefox, it cuts off right at where they tell you to type your signature and cannot scroll down anymore. With safari, I can only see the box where they tell you to check "I have completed my application and would like to submit it to the office of Admissions." and cannot scroll down anymore. Where is the submit button? or even the "save" button?

Did anyone run into the same problem?

For those wondering what the "other" not on hold status is, here it is:

I was just wondering if bringing a child into the world/being a father, or something along those lines would be considered an "achievement" for the GW secondary? or should it be something of a more competitive nature? Honestly, I am most proud of my son, but I don't want to be passed by because anyone can have a child.

I imagine it would come across as you trying to make a relatively normal life event into an achievement. Anybody can have a baby, and most people do it for selfish reasons (not in a narcissistic way, but in a "they want a baby, so they had one" way). Achievements I imagine they would look upon more fondly would include awards or honors obtained because of service to others or obtained because of the potential to one day provide service to others.

As with all my posts, I'm applying too, so a disclaimer about my level of expertise.

I was just wondering if bringing a child into the world/being a father, or something along those lines would be considered an "achievement" for the GW secondary? or should it be something of a more competitive nature? Honestly, I am most proud of my son, but I don't want to be passed by because anyone can have a child.
I think that is very unique, especially since most applicants are not at that point in their life and it would definitely show maturity. I would say you should not just limit it to having the child, period. Idk how old your kid is but I would elaborate on things like "teaching them.. inspiring.. " you know, really fluff that up.

plus Im sure that the majority of adcoms who will look at your app will have had kids too, so they'll understand the feeling that nothing can really top having a child. --> just a disclaimer, I've never had a kid but I assume that's how parents feel. ;)

Last edited:
I think that is very unique, especially since most applicants are not at that point in their life and it would definitely show maturity. I would say you should not just limit it to having the child, period. Idk how old your kid is but I would elaborate on things like "teaching them.. inspiring.. " you know, really fluff that up.

And now we know how adcoms probably feel! So much is subjective, it's just a matter of who is reading the application! Guess the moral is to answer truthfully and trust that it will all work out.

And now we know how adcoms probably feel! So much is subjective, it's just a matter of who is reading the application! Guess the moral is to answer truthfully and trust that it will all work out.

Exactly! You should never try to give them what you think they want to hear, just the truth. Adcoms have read tens of thousands of applications...do you really think they can't tell when you are just trying to tell them what you think they want to hear?

Mine says:

My application said this for a few days, then switched to on hold for re-review today.

I submit Monday an still have the non-hold status. Hold is probably coming tomorrow..

The re-review thing came immediately after I submitted payment. I think it's an automated thing because I submitted payment late at night/early in the morning (around 2am I think)

Is anybody having issues with MDApps loading?

Thanks for the responses, i am still not positive what I will chose but it helps to hear other viewpoints... btw my boy is a little over a year old

The re-review thing came immediately after I submitted payment. I think it's an automated thing because I submitted payment late at night/early in the morning (around 2am I think)

+1, did anybody not go on hold?

This is exactly what happened when I submitted.....doesn't seem like they reviewed my application at all >:-[

This is exactly what happened when I submitted.....doesn't seem like they reviewed my application at all >:-[

I'm starting to think it's a way for them to figure out who is complete, then they'll actually review a batch of applicants that submitted from x to y dates to offer the first round of interview invites.

does anyone have this status?
"Please contact the Office of Admissions regarding questions about your status."

Same. I was thinking they had some automated screening system. My GPA is very low, so I figured I was thrown in the "no thanks" pile.

Rechecked my status and I'm no longer on hold anymore...

"Your file is now complete. At this point we have received all the necessary credentials including your secondary application and your letters of recommendation in order for your application to be reviewed. While the committee does its best to review applications in a timely manner, please be aware that in order to do a thorough review of your file it may be several weeks until you hear from us again. We greatly appreciate your patience during the application process."

Is it possible that being on hold just means your application isn't complete yet?

does anyone have this status?
"Please contact the Office of Admissions regarding questions about your status."

I have that status....I contacted them and they said that it was an error, and that it was being corrected. However that was a week ago and it's still the same status. I really don't want to keep bugging them, but it's stressing me out a little.

I was thinking. Maybe before they sent out secondaries. Just based on our primary apps they split us into accept and reject groups based on screens and those that received the hold status immediately didn't pass the screen where as those who didn't would be considered for an interview. That or the status listings are kinda wacky and I'm trying to justify it in my neurotic Pre med head.

Sent from my phone.

I don't know how they would be screening. We've got high and low MCATs being put on hold at various times. I was definitely well above their averages and submitted on day one; I was on hold the next day.

Rechecked my status and I'm no longer on hold anymore...

"Your file is now complete. At this point we have received all the necessary credentials including your secondary application and your letters of recommendation in order for your application to be reviewed. While the committee does its best to review applications in a timely manner, please be aware that in order to do a thorough review of your file it may be several weeks until you hear from us again. We greatly appreciate your patience during the application process."

I went from that to being on hold after a week. Lol.

Sent from my X10i using SDN Mobile

Status
Not open for further replies.