2012-2013 George Washington University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
hey guys what is this payment code?

Go to the website where you pay the fee and they will give you the code. Then you go to your secondary and enter it in that box.

Members don't see this ad.

Would studying for the MCAT while having other life-responsibilities be something I can write about for the prompt regarding the greatest achievement outside the classroom? Or does MCAT count as classroom stuff?

Is the number word count or character count?

1. For the 2012-2013 application cycle (Summer 2012 through Summer 2013), please indicate activities, academics, employment, or other occupations to account for full-time activity (approx. 30-40 hours per week). (750)

2. What is your most significant achievement outside the classroom? (750)

3. What is your specific interest in the MD Program at GW? What opportunities would you take advantage of as a student here? Why? (2000)

Members don't see this ad :)
submitted! one of my essays looks like it got cut off in the PDF version tho... as long as it was under 750 char they should still be able to see it right?

Would studying for the MCAT while having other life-responsibilities be something I can write about for the prompt regarding the greatest achievement outside the classroom? Or does MCAT count as classroom stuff?

i would stay away from talking about MCAT studying but thats just me

submitted! one of my essays looks like it got cut off in the PDF version tho... as long as it was under 750 char they should still be able to see it right?

I had the same problem! my response only shows a random 2 sentences in the middle of my response (not even the beginning and it got cut short..)

Just checked my status and it says my file has been reviewed, and I'm on hold :( Anyone else have any different status?

Just checked my status and it says my file has been reviewed, and I'm on hold :( Anyone else have any different status?

Already? That's quick.based on Last years thread Thats not the best message to have. I couldent tell you what mine says I'm still working on submitting my secondary by this Monday. If they review that quickly though I doubt a good essay will help me.

Yeah they were real quick about it, submitted 7/5 and status change 7/6. I guess they really didn't like something haha

Yeah they were real quick about it, submitted 7/5 and status change 7/6. I guess they really didn't like something haha

Seems better than getting outright rejected I would think.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm on hold too. Above average MCAT (33<score<37) and GPA (>3.80), double major (interdisciplinary) and exceptional EC's.

I actually think they may only take people that fall within a score/gpa range that is within where they want their average to fall (at least at this point). Looking at last year, the top scores were not the people getting the interviews, and the 10%-90% MCAT scores for GW are only 31-34. That means few of the "top" applicants are getting in.

It would also explain the crazy fast turnaround. There is no way they are looking through essays and EC's that quickly, so I'm sure it is a score cutoff (and since top scores aren't the ones normally getting the interview offers, my initial hypothesis makes sense).

*100% just a hypothesis though*

same here, "on-hold for re-review at a later date." going to see how last year's thread progressed.

the form erased after i checked 'i have completed my application and would like to submit it to the office of admissions' and the pushed submit. did this happen to everyone, or should i resubmit?

I'm on hold too. Above average MCAT (33<score<37) and GPA (>3.80), double major (interdisciplinary) and exceptional EC's.

I actually think they may only take people that fall within a score/gpa range that is within where they want their average to fall (at least at this point). Looking at last year, the top scores were not the people getting the interviews, and the 10%-90% MCAT scores for GW are only 31-34. That means few of the "top" applicants are getting in.

It would also explain the crazy fast turnaround. There is no way they are looking through essays and EC's that quickly, so I'm sure it is a score cutoff (and since top scores aren't the ones normally getting the interview offers, my initial hypothesis makes sense).

*100% just a hypothesis though*
yeah my theory for this school is that they are looking for a very specific profile. considering they get the most applications of any medical school they have a multitude to choose from. last year I submit my secondary in late september and got an Interview 2 days later, i'm white and i have a 29 mcat. not complaining ha but it really is totally random

Are you sure they aren't just putting everyone "on hold?"

If everyone here says they're on hold maybe they're doing that to everyone! I find it very weird that they would not want anyone of you all. Its SO early that they might just put your status as that until they get closer to interviews.

Its not like they can interview us in the middle of July.

If everyone here says they're on hold maybe they're doing that to everyone! I find it very weird that they would not want anyone of you all. Its SO early that they might just put your status as that until they get closer to interviews.

Very possible. I hope this is the case, but last year's thread had a couple people find out about interviews without being put on hold (I believe). Either way, we don't know the real answer, so best to just go with the flow and see what happens.

At least half the class goes on hold before getting an invite, so keep the faith!! =)

Sent from my iPhone using SDN Mobile app

the form erased after i checked 'i have completed my application and would like to submit it to the office of admissions' and the pushed submit. did this happen to everyone, or should i resubmit?

can someone help me with this? after it confirmed that i wanted to submit last night, the form went blank. it says i haven't submitted the secondary and i didn't receive any confirmation e-mail.

was this what happened to everyone at first?

That would be correct. Almost everyone goes on hold.

can someone help me with this? after it confirmed that i wanted to submit last night, the form went blank. it says i haven't submitted the secondary and i didn't receive any confirmation e-mail.

Mine just submitted normally, so nothing went blank. If it says you haven't submitted the secondary, I would just refill it out. When it's done a PDF-esk readout appears below your status and all the text fields disappear.

I never received that message and my secondary was received. You should definitely give them a call first thing on Monday.

At least half the class goes on hold before getting an invite, so keep the faith!! =)

This is the truth. I was placed on hold for two week, received an interview shortly there after and was accepted immediately. You have to write letters of interest and such to get off hold. I was planning on attending GW until I got accepted to Georgetown. Couldn't turn down my undergrad.

This will be the longest and most stressful 7/8 months of your life. Take a valium and relax.

Mine just submitted normally, so nothing went blank. If it says you haven't submitted the secondary, I would just refill it out. When it's done a PDF-esk readout appears below your status and all the text fields disappear.

I never received that message and my secondary was received. You should definitely give them a call first thing on Monday.

thank you both for your replies.

This is the truth. I was placed on hold for two week, received an interview shortly there after and was accepted immediately. You have to write letters of interest and such to get off hold. I was planning on attending GW until I got accepted to Georgetown. Couldn't turn down my undergrad.

This will be the longest and most stressful 7/8 months of your life. Take a valium and relax.

When do you recommend to, or when did you, send a letter of interest?

I'm debating not returning my GW secondary application. Can anyone give me some insight into this? I've already written 2/3 of the required responses for the secondary, but here are my reasons...

-Expensive - Lame, I know, but I don't want to throw away $125 if I'm not fully committed to attending this school
-Location - I'm a Midwestern girl, born & raised, and I can't honestly see being that far away from home... especially if I'm not in love with the school. Also, the cost of living out here is horrendous and I already have very large amounts of student loans from undergrad.
-Number of applications - I feel like despite their lower GPA/MCAT averages, the odds are not in my favor. And all of this business about being on hold and having to write a letter of interest is just really discouraging to me.
-I'm a reapplicant and I was not pleased with how they treated me last cycle I applied (2011) when I called to see what I could do to improve my application and they refused to speak with me or offer me any advice.

I'm applying to 13 other schools (not counting GW) - a mix of MD/DO, in-state and out-of-state. So I feel like there are at least 2-3 schools that I do have a fairly good chance of being accepted at. I know for a fact I meet the requirements to get an interview at 2 schools (just because my GPA/MCAT meet the cut-offs for in state students).

Does anyone have any amazing words of advice for me about this?

I'm only an applicant, so take this with a grain of salt, but if you have that many negative feelings about the school, I would suggest not applying.

In my opinion, medical school will be difficult enough at an institution you absolutely love (and the debt will be equally as hard to overcome even at a cheaper school). Thus, if you don't really love the school, it really probably isn't worth it.

I'm debating not returning my GW secondary application. Can anyone give me some insight into this? I've already written 2/3 of the required responses for the secondary, but here are my reasons...

-Expensive - Lame, I know, but I don't want to throw away $125 if I'm not fully committed to attending this school
-Location - I'm a Midwestern girl, born & raised, and I can't honestly see being that far away from home... especially if I'm not in love with the school. Also, the cost of living out here is horrendous and I already have very large amounts of student loans from undergrad.
-Number of applications - I feel like despite their lower GPA/MCAT averages, the odds are not in my favor. And all of this business about being on hold and having to write a letter of interest is just really discouraging to me.
-I'm a reapplicant and I was not pleased with how they treated me last cycle I applied (2011) when I called to see what I could do to improve my application and they refused to speak with me or offer me any advice.

I'm applying to 13 other schools (not counting GW) - a mix of MD/DO, in-state and out-of-state. So I feel like there are at least 2-3 schools that I do have a fairly good chance of being accepted at. I know for a fact I meet the requirements to get an interview at 2 schools (just because my GPA/MCAT meet the cut-offs for in state students).

Does anyone have any amazing words of advice for me about this?

Seems like you answered your question already.

Do you get the hold status after they receive your LORs and you are complete, or before?

i was put on hold too. maybe it's everyone. i call them monday and ask

here's the info from GWU School of medicine webpage:

How long after my file is complete will I be notified of a decision?

Interviews are offered on a rolling basis. Most files are reviewed within six weeks of when they are completed. Please keep in mind that many files are put on hold each year and re-reviewed later in the application season.

So is anybody else having that weird glitch problem?

i was put on hold too. maybe it's everyone. i call them monday and ask

There is no reason to call them as they don't want to give you an interview right away. Maybe in the coming weeks they will re-review you and give you one.

All of you take my advice: If you get put on hold or re-review take a deep breath and wait or move on to another school. If they want to give you an interview they will and putting you on hold is a way of saying we don't want to interview you right now.

BTW if you get something to the extent of this mentioned in your online page:

"Information regarding you application with be e-mailed to you shortly etc etc". Means you got an interview. The e-mail that they send you will provide you with an interview date. At least that is how it went for me.

Those of you that get that now will probably have to wait a few weeks as they are probably still finishing up the incoming 2012 class and haven't set interview dates yet. Have patience and congratulations.

Anything else is a hold and wait scenario.

There is no reason to call them as they don't want to give you an interview right away. Maybe in the coming weeks they will re-review you and give you one.

All of you take my advice: If you get put on hold or re-review take a deep breath and wait or move on to another school. If they want to give you an interview they will and putting you on hold is a way of saying we don't want to interview you right now.

BTW if you get something to the extent of this mentioned in your online page:

"Information regarding you application with be e-mailed to you shortly etc etc". Means you got an interview. The e-mail that they send you will provide you with an interview date. At least that is how it went for me.

Those of you that get that now will probably have to wait a few weeks as they are probably still finishing up the incoming 2012 class and haven't set interview dates yet. Have patience and congratulations.

Anything else is a hold and wait scenario.

Thanks for the advice/info!

When I submitted today, my application status immediately after pressing the submit button was the "we have reviewed and you are on hold for re-review later" message. It must be automatic right now, either for everyone or for certain numbers.

Submitted a couple days ago and my status is still basically that they haven't gotten around to looking at my application yet... I'm guessing the being put on-hold is not automatic.

Submitted a couple days ago and my status is still basically that they haven't gotten around to looking at my application yet... I'm guessing the being put on-hold is not automatic.

the first time I submitted it said I wasn't on hold. I eventually had to re-submit my app bc of a problem with my first one and immediately after I sent it my status said I was on hold. I'm guessing it's automatic.

the first time I submitted it said I wasn't on hold. I eventually had to re-submit my app bc of a problem with my first one and immediately after I sent it my status said I was on hold. I'm guessing it's automatic.

How did you go about re-submitting the application? Was there an e-mail from admissions to tell you about an error?

Totally paranoid now... :laugh:

Nah I noticed the problem and emailed them myself. I got an email back saying they reset my application and that I could try it again.

lol i wouldn't stress about it. i'm kinda annoyed that my thing says i'm on hold. I wonder what would've happened if I didn't have to resubmit

so I had another problem with my secondary and long story short I was able to find out what being put on hold means: "That's just an ineloquent way to saying you're moving along in the application process." that quote is from someone who e-mailed me

I received the secondary application, but my primary hasn't been verified yet. I was under the impression that your primary is only released once you are verified? Is this normal?

I received the secondary application, but my primary hasn't been verified yet. I was under the impression that your primary is only released once you are verified? Is this normal?

My understanding is that it depends on the medical school and that this is not unheard of. For example, several of my friends won't have MCAT scores in for a couple weeks and have gotten secondaries.

What exactly did your status say? Mine says something like "Please contact the admissions office regarding questions about your status"

I submitted last week, and when I log on it says that my "form has been submitted" but I never got a confirmation email that they received my secondary, and now I'm concerned that something has gone wrong because it looks like being put on hold is a progressive step in the application process. :confused:

LOL I paid and submitted and this is what I got immediately?

Your application to The George Washington University School of Medicine & Health Sciences is complete and has been reviewed by the Admissions Committee. To date, no final decision has been made and the Admissions Committee has placed your application on hold for re-review at a later date. Files are re-reviewed by the committee periodically and there is no set schedule for decisions. We do interview from September through March. You are welcome to update your file via [email protected]. If we require any further documentation or if your status changes, we will contact you immediately. We do sincerely appreciate your interest in our program. Thank you for your patience.

That's a lie!

Status
Not open for further replies.