2010-2011 University of Washington Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Got my UW email account and student ID.

I can't believe it. Up until this point I still wasn't sure if they were pulling my leg when they said I was accepted.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WWWWWOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:soexcited:

Members don't see this ad.

Hello fellow future medical students! and good luck to all those applying!
I know a lot of us are looking for insurance right now to cover us through medical school, and ideally not student insurance since the coverage sucks (and it's expensive).
Right now I'm working for the washington health foundation in Seattle, they run the healthiest state campaign. I'm not trying to be a salesperson, but they just started a non-profit insurance broker service for individual, family and small business health insurance plans. All of the profits go back to the washington health foundation and all of the health plans include more preventative services. check it out, hope this helps people looking for health insurance http://www.healthiestwashingtoninsurance.org/

For those of you who have received a site assignment email, what does the email say? When is the deadline for appeals? In the past when have seattle sites been released and are they released at once or in waves?

Members don't see this ad :)
For those of you who have received a site assignment email, what does the email say? When is the deadline for appeals? In the past when have seattle sites been released and are they released at once or in waves?

The email I got about my Spokane placement was long, but basically included the orientation dates, links to more information about the program, and contact information for the director of the program over there. There was no mention of the possibility of appeals (I don't think they want to encourage it?), so I can't tell you when the deadline is. People have definitely been notified about both Spokane and Pullman though (according to the Facebook group), so if you haven't heard anything yet, maybe you're getting Seattle!

Sorry if that wasn't very helpful!

So I got a couple speeding tickets between 2007-2009 in Utah and come to find out, Utah calls them Misdemeanors! I had no idea they were Misdemeanors so I checked "no" on my background check for having Misdemeanors. UW wanted me to send an summary of why I had them and why I didn't disclose that I had Misdemeanors when I filled my background check. I would have said I had a couple speeding tickets if I knew they were Misdemeanors. agh....
Should I be worried? Has anyone heard of this happening to an accepted applicant?

So I got a couple speeding tickets between 2007-2009 in Utah and come to find out, Utah calls them Misdemeanors! I had no idea they were Misdemeanors so I checked "no" on my background check for having Misdemeanors. UW wanted me to send an summary of why I had them and why I didn't disclose that I had Misdemeanors when I filled my background check. I would have said I had a couple speeding tickets if I knew they were Misdemeanors. agh....
Should I be worried? Has anyone heard of this happening to an accepted applicant?

I wouldn't worry about it too much. Speeding tickets being considered a misdo is a pretty common thing. Just explain that to them. I seriously doubt it will be a problem. If they give you too much trouble, just tell them Onetyme sent you. (It works every time!)

I don't remember who suggested What Patients Taught Me but I'm reading it now. It's distracting me from incessantly checking the UW status page. On the other hand, it's making me even more giddy about UW. I hope I don't get disappointed...

Does anybody else have any reading recommendations? I just finished The Healing of America by T.R. Reid, which was a good look at health care systems here and abroad, but I'm looking for something more specifically for future physicians. Anyone know any good ones?

I'm sorry to those on the waitlist but I will be firmly accepting my offer to uw soon...good luck to u all.

on the comeback - I really enjoyed reading "On Call," by Emily Transue, who was an internal medicine resident and chief resident at UW (and also happens to be my PCP). She is a talented writer with a knack for telling medical stories in a compelling and personal way. The book is about her residency experience, and although it doesn't discuss medical school except tangentially, I thought it was a good glimpse into what medicine residency is like, as well as just a great read in general.

on the comeback - I really enjoyed reading "On Call," by Emily Transue, who was an internal medicine resident and chief resident at UW (and also happens to be my PCP). She is a talented writer with a knack for telling medical stories in a compelling and personal way. The book is about her residency experience, and although it doesn't discuss medical school except tangentially, I thought it was a good glimpse into what medicine residency is like, as well as just a great read in general.

Thank you Meridian!

Alternate #4 accepted for WA/OOR; getting closer!!

Alternate #4 accepted for WA/OOR; getting closer!![/QUOTE]

Only 2 to go..... I'm kinda sad that they only update the site once a day.... an alternate a day this week would make me very happy! :D

Hooray! Getting closer!

As for medical books, I really like everything by Atul Gawande and Abraham Verghese. I really loved My Own Country by Abraham. It's about his residency in the mid-west during the initial HIV epidemic in the 80s. He has a really great perspective about how the mid-west dealt with it and how he could identify with these men, since he too was an outsider, being one of the few Indian people in the area.

I also enjoyed Final Exam by Pauline Chen. She talks about how doctors confront death.

Stiff by Mary Roach was fun, but not necessarily as medical so much as just intriguing, amusing, and scientific.

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anybody else have any reading recommendations? I just finished The Healing of America by T.R. Reid, which was a good look at health care systems here and abroad, but I'm looking for something more specifically for future physicians. Anyone know any good ones?

What specifically are you looking for regarding physicians. More about health care? I read The Healing of America also and really liked it. It gave me better perspective to my conservative background. I read a popular one that does not deal with health care called Complications. You may have seen it, as it is even in airport libraries. But, it is about surgery (perhaps more patients are interested in reading about surgery stories than physicians). The subtitle is "a surgeon's notes on an imperfect science." I liked it.
If you find any others let me know.

How do you ever chose a specialty? It seems that finding one I like will not be the problem. Finding one I like the MOST will be the hard part. Glad I don't have to decide for a few more years. I don't get how some students have their minds made up already on a specialty. Seems almost naive. My favorite was this kid on campus a couple days ago who said he wanted to be a neurosurgeon. I asked him who he has shadowed in town (because I have a family friend who is one). He said he has never shadowed a neurosurgeon. That blows my mind. How could this guy KNOW that he wants to be a neuro guy when he hasn't even SEEN a neurosurgeon work. Maybe he watched "Gifted Hands" and made his decision; which, no doubt is an inspiring story. Even shadowing is insufficient, I think. Shadowing was helpful to see a doctor in action, but it is really only like sitting in the passenger seat of the car, not actually driving. I need to feel the engine under my feet first.
Any thoughts?

I am going crazy waiting for #5 to get accepted.... :eek: I can't sleep. Does anyone know if they call the alternates or email them?:xf:

How do you ever chose a specialty? It seems that finding one I like will not be the problem. Finding one I like the MOST will be the hard part. Glad I don't have to decide for a few more years. I don't get how some students have their minds made up already on a specialty. Seems almost naive. My favorite was this kid on campus a couple days ago who said he wanted to be a neurosurgeon. I asked him who he has shadowed in town (because I have a family friend who is one). He said he has never shadowed a neurosurgeon. That blows my mind. How could this guy KNOW that he wants to be a neuro guy when he hasn't even SEEN a neurosurgeon work. Maybe he watched "Gifted Hands" and made his decision; which, no doubt is an inspiring story. Even shadowing is insufficient, I think. Shadowing was helpful to see a doctor in action, but it is really only like sitting in the passenger seat of the car, not actually driving. I need to feel the engine under my feet first.
Any thoughts?

Really, shadowing is more like watching a car drive by a few times than it is like sitting in the passenger seat. Clinical rotations are more like the passenger seat, you get to feel all the motion of the vehicle and play with the radio but very little of the responsibility is yours.

As far as neurosurgery goes, I doubt many medical students get to do much besides sitting in the passenger seat. No offense but I sure wouldn't want some MS3 digging about in my noggin just for a hands on learning experience. I've also read that other specialties, like ophthalmology, don't give med students much hands on experience either.

The best it really will get for choosing a specialty is figuring it out from rotations that you get to do in MS3 and early M4. So, make the most of what you get.

There are also some online test that can give you an idea of what specialty you might like.

http://www.smbs.buffalo.edu/RESIDENT/CareerCounseling/interior.htm?self-assessment.htm

http://www.med-ed.virginia.edu/specialties/

For me, I have an idea :idea: about what I might want to do. I called a local doc's office that does that type of specialty, told them that I'm an entering MS1, and asked to get some shadowing experience that is geared towards 'getting my feet wet'. They were all like, 'Hellz yeah, we would love to have THE Onetyme in our office!'

From where we are, I guess that is all we can do.

What specifically are you looking for regarding physicians. More about health care? I read The Healing of America also and really liked it. It gave me better perspective to my conservative background. I read a popular one that does not deal with health care called Complications. You may have seen it, as it is even in airport libraries. But, it is about surgery (perhaps more patients are interested in reading about surgery stories than physicians). The subtitle is "a surgeon's notes on an imperfect science." I liked it.
If you find any others let me know.

I guess I'm just looking for something that will help me revel in the excitement of getting into medical school, with an eye towards where i would like to be in the future. I'm reading What Patients Taught Me right now which is good but the writing's a bit stilted. But it gets bonus points for being set in WWAMI country! Next Medicine by Bortz was interesting and Abraham Verghese is great. Any titles by Gawande you liked Driftkitty?

I guess I'm just looking for something that will help me revel in the excitement of getting into medical school, with an eye towards where i would like to be in the future. I'm reading What Patients Taught Me right now which is good but the writing's a bit stilted. But it gets bonus points for being set in WWAMI country! Next Medicine by Bortz was interesting and Abraham Verghese is great. Any titles by Gawande you liked Driftkitty?

:laugh:

~Kalyx

Any titles by Gawande you liked Driftkitty?

I have only read Better and Complications so far. Loved them both. I just requested Checklist Manifesto from the library recently but have not yet received it.

I own both if you're in the Seattle area and want to borrow them. I go up to Seattle every weekend. You'll just have to deal with my dorky little marks/tabs next to pieces I like.

Really, shadowing is more like watching a car drive by a few times than it is like sitting in the passenger seat. Clinical rotations are more like the passenger seat, you get to feel all the motion of the vehicle and play with the radio but very little of the responsibility is yours.

As far as neurosurgery goes, I doubt many medical students get to do much besides sitting in the passenger seat. No offense but I sure wouldn't want some MS3 digging about in my noggin just for a hands on learning experience. I've also read that other specialties, like ophthalmology, don't give med students much hands on experience either.

The best it really will get for choosing a specialty is figuring it out from rotations that you get to do in MS3 and early M4. So, make the most of what you get.

There are also some online test that can give you an idea of what specialty you might like.

http://www.smbs.buffalo.edu/RESIDENT/CareerCounseling/interior.htm?self-assessment.htm

http://www.med-ed.virginia.edu/specialties/

For me, I have an idea :idea: about what I might want to do. I called a local doc's office that does that type of specialty, told them that I'm an entering MS1, and asked to get some shadowing experience that is geared towards 'getting my feet wet'. They were all like, 'Hellz yeah, we would love to have THE Onetyme in our office!'

From where we are, I guess that is all we can do.

Hmmm. I like your thinking. Your "I want to get my feet wet" line is a good one to use. I agree that shadowing may even be a step down from riding in the car. haha.

Hmmm. I like your thinking. Your "I want to get my feet wet" line is a good one to use. I agree that shadowing may even be a step down from riding in the car. haha.

The specialty that I'm shadowing ISN'T OBGYN so hopefully I won't actually get my feet wet during any procedures.

Rule #1 of OBGYN: Shoe covers.:D

#6 was accepted today.... AND THAT IS ME!!!!! YAY!!!! 4/20/11! Best. Day. Ever! :D

Congratulations!!!! You wanted Spokane right? If you get that site, I'll be seeing you in August!! :)

Yes I currently live in Spokane, have my life/activities here, and am hoping to not have to move :D - Do you know if White Coat is during orientation week?

Yes I currently live in Spokane, have my life/activities here, and am hoping to not have to move :D - Do you know if White Coat is during orientation week?

CORRECTION AS OF 9:20AM - granted the Spokane Site!!!!!! TODAY ROCKS! - feel bad for my boss/company because I'm already late to work and won't be able to focus once I get there!!!!!!!

CORRECTION AS OF 9:20AM - granted the Spokane Site!!!!!! TODAY ROCKS! - feel bad for my boss/company because I'm already late to work and won't be able to focus once I get there!!!!!!!

Congrats again! Finally someone on here I'll actually meet in a few months instead of a year! I don't have any of the orientation details except for the dates do they do the white coat ceremony first year in Spokane? I know Seattle does a stethoscope ceremony first year and white coat before third.

I have only read Better and Complications so far. Loved them both. I just requested Checklist Manifesto from the library recently but have not yet received it.

I own both if you're in the Seattle area and want to borrow them. I go up to Seattle every weekend. You'll just have to deal with my dorky little marks/tabs next to pieces I like.

I am in Seattle, and I would love to borrow them if you don't mind. I'll PM you with my information, as long as you promise not to do away with me to move up the list!

And congratulations Caligurl! I say call in sick!

LOL! I am this year's #6 and everyone will know when I get in.. including SDN - but I'm nervous as well about the list not moving.... Here's to 4/20/11... hopefully it will be moving by then!

hey hey look at that. Congrats!

I am in Seattle, and I would love to borrow them if you don't mind. I'll PM you with my information, as long as you promise not to do away with me to move up the list!

And congratulations Caligurl! I say call in sick!

Haha, I'm not that desperate... yet ;)

Yes, PM me your info and we can meet up. I'll bring a pile of my favorite med books I own.

Accepted in October, recently assigned to Spokane, although I am from Seattle, anyone have recommendations on where to live/not to live in Spokane?

hello all!

two things:
1. I am tracking the waitlist movement in WWAMI regions day to day via this googledoc as a reference for future classes. If you would like editing privileges (since I might go AWOL sometime next month) please PM me. You could also make pretty graphs and stuff.

2. I am currently reading The Emperor of All Maladies: A Biography of Cancer by Siddhartha Mukerjee. The book chronicles the development of our various cancer treatment modalities, and is hands-down the best science writing I have ever read. The writing is accessible to all, but as a molecular and cellular biology major it doesn't seem dumbed-down to me. Vivid, fascinating, and truly a pleasure to read. It was heavily promoted on the NPR/NYTimes/independent bookstore circuit when it came out last fall.

Oh, another book about science/medicine I really enjoyed, although not about becoming a doctor, was The Secret Life of Henriette Lacks. It's about the woman behind HeLa cells and the racial inequalities in medicine/research. It was really interesting to learn about the story behind the first established cell line. It made me view all of the cell lines I use a little differently. I think it also helped to get some perspective about racial issues, since I've spent so much of my life in the not-so-diverse Pacific Northwest area.

Hey C/O 2015! :D I have an open room in Spokane/am looking for a roommate for this upcoming school year.... It is 4 miles from campus and near the bus line/mall/grocery.... PM me if u r interested. I am open to male or female roommates. Or if you want help about the area/apartments, I've been here 8 years and know many of the neighborhoods.... YAY for UW-Spokane!!!

Yay for #9!

Hopefully the closer we get to May 15th, the faster it moves.

hmm...the status page is not currently displaying ranks...perhaps it is being updated again

1LAZ0.png

BTW, does UW provide a laptop stipend in the financial aid package? Or do they have specific recommendations for what laptop to buy? I interviewed at some schools that 'give' (aka include in your tuition) you a laptop of the exact model they want you to have with all the programs loaded on it when you start.

BTW, does UW provide a laptop stipend in the financial aid package? Or do they have specific recommendations for what laptop to buy? I interviewed at some schools that 'give' (aka include in your tuition) you a laptop of the exact model they want you to have with all the programs loaded on it when you start.

They do not, unfortunately, unless you count "equipment" under "books & equipment." You can view the budget breakdown here:

http://uwmedicine.washington.edu/Ed...s/Financial-Aid/Pages/Budget-Information.aspx

~Kalyx

They do not, unfortunately, unless you count "equipment" under "books & equipment." You can view the budget breakdown here:

http://uwmedicine.washington.edu/Ed...s/Financial-Aid/Pages/Budget-Information.aspx

~Kalyx

If you go to the page you linked to, at the bottom it states:

----------------
Budget Adjustments

The budget may be increased for computer/pda (up to $3000), health insurance (student only), childcare or a dependent allowance during the quarters students are enrolled. Forms are available in T-557, or e-mail [email protected] to request if off-site.

----------------

So it looks like you can receive financial aid for a new computer, you just have to fill out an additional form.

If you go to the page you linked to, at the bottom it states:

----------------
Budget Adjustments

The budget may be increased for computer/pda (up to $3000), health insurance (student only), childcare or a dependent allowance during the quarters students are enrolled. Forms are available in T-557, or e-mail [email protected] to request if off-site.

----------------

So it looks like you can receive financial aid for a new computer, you just have to fill out an additional form.

Oh, good! Thanks for the update.

~Kalyx

Congratulations to everyone who's gotten accepted so far. And for those of you who are on the waitlist, don't give up hope now, I was a waitlister and now I'm a first year :)

--------------------------------------------------------

Sorry room no longer available...

Attachments

• Room-1.jpg
    Room-1.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 51
  • Room-2.jpg
    Room-2.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 50
  • Room-3.jpg
    Room-3.jpg
    87.8 KB · Views: 45
  • Kitchen1.jpg
    Kitchen1.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 45
  • Google Street View1.png
    Google Street View1.png
    154.5 KB · Views: 45
Last edited:
Hey guys I'm #13 on the WA/OOR waitlist and I just got the call from my interviewer two hours ago. I'm in!

I don't know which site yet, but I'm ecstatic nonetheless!

Congrats! I feel hesitant saying anything about WL movement. I feel like it's similar to a no-hitter in that its bad luck to mention it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.