2010-2011 University of Washington Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
About the washington argument. Western Washington is cool but eastern is lame. I grew up in eastern and i have to say I kind of hate being back at times.

LOL. So if you get in please pick Seattle so I can have SPOKANE! :D I <3 Eastern WA! (and I grew up in So Cal!)

Members don't see this ad.

Hi folks - with the UWSOM scholarship, does anyone know how much UWSOM scholarship awards are generally for, and who qualifies as "need-based" for the purposes of receiving scholarship aid?

The UWSOM financial aid office understandably couldn't tell me the threshold for determining who is "need-based," but I am still curious to estimate my chances of receiving a scholarship award at UW because I've received a very generous award from the other school I am also considering.

Thanks for your help!

anyone know when they will let us know of our assigned WWAMI Regional locations?

Members don't see this ad :)
Full of bears and AWESOMENESS!

alaska_bears.jpg

alaska.jpg

aurora-green-curtains-at-alaska-aurora-borealis03.jpg

And as always..... Size matters.

ASA_usa_alaska.jpg

Here's to an alternate a day! Someone please post if WA/OOR #2 shows up tomorrow morning... I can't check the status update page in my biz meeting, but I get SDN thread updates to my email :D THANKS!!!!

LOL. So if you get in please pick Seattle so I can have SPOKANE! :D I <3 Eastern WA! (and I grew up in So Cal!)

1. Seattle
2. Spokane
3. Pullman

I grew up in south central washington anything outside of the seattle area is considered eastern. Spokane is not bad. I live 3 hours away from Seattle, Portland, and Spokane so i am literally in the middle of nowhere. I LOVE cali i went to school in the bay area but went down to socal a lot.

Here's to an alternate a day! Someone please post if WA/OOR #2 shows up tomorrow morning... I can't check the status update page in my biz meeting, but I get SDN thread updates to my email :D THANKS!!!!

Nope, still shows up as #1 accepted for the wa/orr list. I'll probably still check it like 49 times today regardless of the fact that they only update it daily. Here's to another wasted day at work!

Nope, still shows up as #1 accepted for the wa/orr list. I'll probably still check it like 49 times today regardless of the fact that they only update it daily. Here's to another wasted day at work!

Hilarity! I MAY be doing the exact same thing...

Does anybody know any details about the Phi Chi medical fraternity at UW? They have a sweet house on the Montlake Cut, and based on the rates posted on other chapters' websites, renting a room is probably a good deal. But the UW chapter's website seems to be down.

Are any upperclassman UWSOM lurkers members? I can't find any UW-specific info.

Hilarity! I MAY be doing the exact same thing...

I will be doing this as well. But refugiofrey, they didn't hit #15 until April 30 last year. I'm #13 this year...this is going to be a very long month. I can't decide whether to get excited and withdraw from some (not all) other schools/waitlists (good karma), or freak out and fear the worst.

I will be doing this as well. But refugiofrey, they didn't hit #15 until April 30 last year. I'm #13 this year...this is going to be a very long month. I can't decide whether to get excited and withdraw from some (not all) other schools/waitlists (good karma), or freak out and fear the worst.

I'm leaning away from freaking out....actually, I'm feeling excited and grateful that we could know so soon and that the odds are pretty darn good (even if the goods are odd ;)). That said, it's going to be a long month....in which I'll be obsessively checking the UW site!

Side note....does this mean I'm going to have to spend 1st year on the eastside? As a native Seattle girl I'd really rather stay on the rainy side of the Cascades!

Side note....does this mean I'm going to have to spend 1st year on the eastside? As a native Seattle girl I'd really rather stay on the rainy side of the Cascades!

Yeah I am curious about this too if anybody has any insight. It sounds like the site selection lottery happens in April. If I am lucky enough to get in it won't be until May so I don't know if that means Seattle or E WA. Hoping to stay on the wet side as well.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah I am curious about this too if anybody has any insight. It sounds like the site selection lottery happens in April. If I am lucky enough to get in it won't be until May so I don't know if that means Seattle or E WA. Hoping to stay on the wet side as well.

And I'm worried that I won't get Spokane.... :( I really don't want to have to rent out/sell my house! I'm not sure how popular Spokane is compared to Seattle, and I would die if I had to move to pullman!

And I'm worried that I won't get Spokane.... :( I really don't want to have to rent out/sell my house! I'm not sure how popular Spokane is compared to Seattle, and I would die if I had to move to pullman!

I don't think you have anything to worry about...

generally, when students are selected to a site, they can appeal and they usually are successful. There are tons of examples of students with leases, partners, family members, etc. are a particular site who don't want to move!

If you get in late off the waitlist, however, and choose to appeal your site assignment, chances are your appeal will not be successful.

~Kalyx

Does anyone know what the typical UW or WWAMI USMLE scores are? I am trying to compare schools with a huge list of pros/cons and am having trouble finding accurate information about boards. Thanks for any help!

Does anyone know what the typical UW or WWAMI USMLE scores are? I am trying to compare schools with a huge list of pros/cons and am having trouble finding accurate information about boards. Thanks for any help!

I do not know the figures except that in the past, UWSOM students produced slightly lower Step 1 scores than the national average, and slightly higher Step 2 scores than the national average. A student on the curriculum committee mentioned this December that last year's Step 1 scores equalled the national average, as a result of a push by the school leadership to teach more classes "to the boards." UWSOM gives approximately one month of lecture-free time for Step 1 study, while Step 2 study time is up to the student (i.e., 3rd years have 6 weeks of elective time that they can fill up with elective clerkships or use as study time for the Step 2 at their discretion).

~Kalyx

I do not know the figures except that in the past, UWSOM students produced slightly lower Step 1 scores than the national average, and slightly higher Step 2 scores than the national average. A student on the curriculum committee mentioned this December that last year's Step 1 scores equalled the national average, as a result of a push by the school leadership to teach more classes "to the boards." UWSOM gives approximately one month of lecture-free time for Step 1 study, while Step 2 study time is up to the student (i.e., 3rd years have 6 weeks of elective time that they can fill up with elective clerkships or use as study time for the Step 2 at their discretion).

~Kalyx

Yes, according to the UW website, the average Step 1 and Step 2 scores are right around the national average. You can find more info here: http://uwmedicine.washington.edu/Ed.../Pages/USMLEandYourMedicalSchoolTraining.aspx and click on 'Cost and Timing of Examinations' for more information about how UW students do on the USMLE.

Thanks for the information Kalyx and Deck13! I really appreciate it! I am from MT and was accepted into the WWAMI program. I am also considering OHSU, therefore, requiring a long list of pros and cons of each program! :)

I don't think Wyoming has had its fair share in the discussion here yet.
wind-river-range-wyoming-01.jpg

Yellowstone%20Falls.jpg

And my personal favorite
3863010954_a02fcb6e60.jpg

after looking at all the posted pictures, I can't say for sure what the best WWAMI state is, but I can say I'm uber-excited to be spending my clerkships exploring all of them (assuming I'll have any time to explore!)

I don't remember who suggested What Patients Taught Me but I'm reading it now. It's distracting me from incessantly checking the UW status page. On the other hand, it's making me even more giddy about UW. I hope I don't get disappointed...

after looking at all the posted pictures, I can't say for sure what the best WWAMI state is, but I can say I'm uber-excited to be spending my clerkships exploring all of them (assuming I'll have any time to explore!)

Another factor in Alaska's favor.... Onetyme goes there.

I know there have been threads about this in the past but what are you guys doing between now and starting school?

I am working full-time (in DC) until probably late July/early August. Then making the cross country move back home to Seattle (finally after 5 years!) I'm also hoping to squeeze a couple trips in between now and then to visit friends and family.

Anyone else get the site placement email today?? I got Spokane- kind of surprised, but it could be fun! What about you guys?

I know there have been threads about this in the past but what are you guys doing between now and starting school?

I'm doing a mountain bike race that goes through the Rockies from Banff, Canada to the US/Mexico border, building an addition on my house, and shadowing a surgeon.

Most importantly, I'm not studying AT ALL.

Anyone else get the site placement email today?? I got Spokane- kind of surprised, but it could be fun! What about you guys?

Does that mean Spokane was not your first choice? Spokane rocks! I hope when (if) I get in accepted from the WL that I get to stay in Spokanistan/Spokompton/Spokandyland - :D Welcome to the dry side!

AAh! Now you've made me nervous! I have not received such an e-mail. Hopefully that's a good thing... (I *NEED* Seattle!!!!!!!)

~Kalyx

AAh! Now you've made me nervous! I have not received such an e-mail. Hopefully that's a good thing... (I *NEED* Seattle!!!!!!!)

~Kalyx

Sorry to make you nervous! I definitely wanted Seattle too (family, friends, apartment, etc.)! I guess I didn't need it though, just wanted it :) Hopefully they just emailed the Spokane people then- I'll keep my fingers crossed that you get Seattle!!

Sorry to make you nervous! I definitely wanted Seattle too (family, friends, apartment, etc.)! I guess I didn't need it though, just wanted it :) Hopefully they just emailed the Spokane people then- I'll keep my fingers crossed that you get Seattle!!

Haha, no worries! :) You are awesome for being so open-minded and positive about that Spokane assignment. Man, I keep on wanting to say to people like you, "See you in the fall!" but it'll actually be in two years! Kind of bizarre :confused: and makes me a bit sad; I want to meet all of my classmates!

~Kalyx

Yeah, I guess for now it's "see you NEXT fall :)"

I got Seattle. I'm hoping for Los Angeles though. :)

I got Seattle. I'm hoping for Los Angeles though. :)

Hahaha. Esteban did you get an e-mail today or did that come in snail mail? I still haven't gotten anything and I'm starting to get antsy...

~Kalyx

What the...?!? Why are they only informing a few people about their site locations? I want to know!!!

WL isn't moving as fast as last year just yet. Makes me a little nervous...

Hahaha. Esteban did you get an e-mail today or did that come in snail mail? I still haven't gotten anything and I'm starting to get antsy...

~Kalyx

I got an email on 4/7/11 congratulating me and informing me of my first year site match. Seattle begins on 8/29/11, the other sites have different start and end dates. I only selected Seattle as a choice. :laugh:

Last edited:
What the...?!? Why are they only informing a few people about their site locations? I want to know!!!

I am hoping that they inform all OOS acceptees and anyone going to a regional site first out of consideration, since those people will need to make the most changes in terms of moving/housing, etc. Then all IS assigned to Seattle find out a bit later.

Of course, this is just wishful speculation on my part - if anyone is an exception to this theory please post, so I can resume being anxious over my placement :p

I am hoping that they inform all OOS acceptees and anyone going to a regional site first out of consideration, since those people will need to make the most changes in terms of moving/housing, etc. Then all IS assigned to Seattle find out a bit later.

Of course, this is just wishful speculation on my part - if anyone is an exception to this theory please post, so I can resume being anxious over my placement :p

Hmmm... I like your theory! Is Esteban OOS, then?

This is so funny. I bet the school administrators have no idea how much anxiety they've stirred from not sending those e-mails to everybody!

~Kalyx

WL isn't moving as fast as last year just yet. Makes me a little nervous...

I've been thinking the same thing. Maybe it's too early to tell. #6 wasn't accepted last year until April 20th. Hell who knows. Just more waiting either way.

I've been thinking the same thing. Maybe it's too early to tell. #6 wasn't accepted last year until April 20th. Hell who knows. Just more waiting either way.

LOL! I am this year's #6 and everyone will know when I get in.. including SDN - but I'm nervous as well about the list not moving.... Here's to 4/20/11... hopefully it will be moving by then!

No one has mentioned yet that WA/OOR is at #3!!!! Movement finally!:D

Just checked, and saw that as well. Looking more like you'll be in by the 20th! Hopefully movement continues steady for the rest of us. Second look was the end of last week so hopefully this week people will be deciding NOT to go to UW.

Status
Not open for further replies.