2010-2011 UCR/UCLA Thomas Haider Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JennJenn

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey, decided to start one.

Lots of changes to the application process this year...

Good Luck!! :D

Members don't see this ad.

Nice to see the UCR/UCLA program in school specific discussions. I'm taking a year off and will be applying in summer 2011, but I'll be following this thread closely!

May I ask what changes have been made to the application process? Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
i guess i will put my 2 cents in by saying I got an interview invite for 1/15 on 11/30, which was *before* I turned in my secondary. I turned in the secondary the next day (12/1). good luck to everyone else.

also, does anyone has clear confirmation that this is the last year that this program will be available due to the ucr med school opening next year? all i've heard are rumors that seem to confirm this, but no official press release.

Wow I'm glad someone actually posted in here haha.

Yeah, I think UCR is stopping the ucr/ucla thing.

There was an article that was published earlier in the fall that said UCR is receiving $10 million or something from the state, which is just what we needed to actually open in 2012. Assuming that all goes according to plan, and the new med school DOES open 2012, it means that this application cycle is the last cycle to apply to the program. Kind of sucks for those that WOULD have applied this cycle but decided to take a year off instead :(...

I wonder though, if the opening of the med school really means ucr and ucla are severing the tie? I've heard a bunch of different rumors- Like UCR still needs an actual med center (hence UCLA) and not just the med school? Honestly I'm not too sure about whats going on with UCR/UCLA. However, there has NOT been a formal announcement that said "starting fall 2012, those applying to the Thomas Haider program will complete all 4 years of their medical training at UCR and will receive their MD's from UCR SoM". Don't they kind of need to do do that? Or are we just supposed to assume..?

http://www.biomed.ucr.edu/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=25&Itemid=49

On the biomed site, it still says you complete your last two years at UCLA and u get your MD from there. It seems a little misleading for UCR to keep that up on the website, "lure" incoming freshmen with the opportunity to apply for 1/24 seats at UCLA and then kind of pull it out from under them when the program suddenly gets discontinued and ties with UCLA's SoM are no longer there. I know some freshmen/sophomores that came to UCR specifically for the program, and that kind of just sucks for them that they won't have the opportunity to apply for what brought them to UCR in the first place.

Anyway, I know this doesn't really matter for those that submitted their app already :laugh: sorry for the rant

I also received an email for interview on 11/30 and my date is 1/15. I also don't know if they're getting rid of the program or not. Does anyone know how many people are interviewing this cycle?

I just sent my secondary app to UCR today chances of me getting into the program look slim since i just received the secondary yesterday and February is the last month of interviews. But hey there is no harm in trying besides the $70 secondary fee ;). Good luck to everyone waiting for acceptance decisions!!

I have an interview on the Feb 19th for the AM group. I just want to know who else will be there besides me?

I interviewed January 15th. Has anyone received acceptances yet?

Rumor has it that the letter are supposed to be mailed today. Good luck!

Rumor has it that the letter are supposed to be mailed today. Good luck!

how do you know this? did Margie tell you? Any more details?

I'm not sure if the rumor is true because if it were then I would have found out about at least one person that got an acceptance letter today. This type of info tends to spread like wild fire via facebook. lol

But nonetheless, I would like to know if the rumor is from a legit source.

Members don't see this ad :)
I know of at least 3 people who have gotten in so far, but not some of the obvious people. But that was a week ago.

Starting to get emotionally ready to move very far for med school. Well theres still hope for Haider I suppose.
*sits in front of mailbox*

what do you mean by not some of the obvious people? grades or personality? lol

I'm not sure if the rumor is true because if it were then I would have found out about at least one person that got an acceptance letter today. This type of info tends to spread like wild fire via facebook. lol

But nonetheless, I would like to know if the rumor is from a legit source.

But if the letters were mailed out on Friday wouldn't they come in sometime this week, not necessarily yesterday? especially if youre not living in CA? I wonder if we could just call the office and find out our status.

But if the letters were mailed out on Friday wouldn't they come in sometime this week, not necessarily yesterday? especially if youre not living in CA? I wonder if we could just call the office and find out our status.

I guess that's a possible scenario, but the local applicants would have received their letters yesterday. I guess if I don't hear about anyone (locally) today then the rumor really starts to become weak.

I know of at least 3 people who have gotten in so far, but not some of the obvious people. But that was a week ago.

Starting to get emotionally ready to move very far for med school. Well theres still hope for Haider I suppose.
*sits in front of mailbox*

Yeah I know of at least 9 people that have gotten in so far. The rumor has it that 12 spots have been taken so far.

Confirmed with Margie today who stated "we sent out a few letters on Friday". Haven't heard anyone being accepted recently though.

Confirmed with Margie today who stated "we sent out a few letters on Friday". Haven't heard anyone being accepted recently though.

I received my acceptance on Saturday Feb 26. I was surprised by how fast they moved. I interviewed on Jan 29

So I guess that rumor was true about some letters being sent out last Friday, but I don't know anyone that got in with that batch.

Anyone know anybody that got in recently?

I don't like the fact that the program is so vague, I wish they would tell us when to expect letters!

So I guess that rumor was true about some letters being sent out last Friday, but I don't know anyone that got in with that batch.

Anyone know anybody that got in recently?

I don't like the fact that the program is so vague, I wish they would tell us when to expect letters!

I haven't heard of a single person, which leads me to believe that when Margie said "we sent out a few on Friday" that she meant the previous Friday that we all already knew about? Anyhow I talked to her again yesterday and she said that the admissions committee has not met again yet but will soon. Which hopefully meant today (seeing as their last meeting was on a Thursday). I'm tempted to go in tomorrow and ask her the same question again....

I haven't heard of a single person, which leads me to believe that when Margie said "we sent out a few on Friday" that she meant the previous Friday that we all already knew about? Anyhow I talked to her again yesterday and she said that the admissions committee has not met again yet but will soon. Which hopefully meant today (seeing as their last meeting was on a Thursday). I'm tempted to go in tomorrow and ask her the same question again....

Thanks for the update! Yeah I'm haven't heard about anyone either, but it maybe that someone who isn't a Riverside local got in from last Friday. But again that's all speculation.

In any case I hope they send their next "big" batch of acceptances soon. This waiting is torture.

Any updates? Hoping to get in but no news yet here!

Do they usually send out all the acceptances and leave the rejections to the very end? :confused:

Do they usually send out all the acceptances and leave the rejections to the very end? :confused:

judging from previous years' threads, that seems to be the way they've been doing it. but this year they seem to have been doing everything differently, from doing the mmi's to sending out the first acceptances at the end of february instead of the beginning, so who knows?

this waiting is killing me. good thing i have finals this week to take my mind off of things..

this waiting is killing me. good thing i have finals this week to take my mind off of things..

If anything the pressure is making me not want to study haha x-x.

I'm almost positive they have released only 12 acceptances (1 to a girl that got into Harvard so welcome to the haider class person on the top of the waitlist). No need to be discouraged if you haven't heard yet, when I asked after they sent out the first ap batch said they haven't even fully looked over everyone's aps...

I'm almost positive they have released only 12 acceptances (1 to a girl that got into Harvard so welcome to the haider class person on the top of the waitlist). No need to be discouraged if you haven't heard yet, when I asked after they sent out the first ap batch said they haven't even fully looked over everyone's aps...

That's good to hear. Yeah I know what you mean...it's hard to focus with the impending news lol.

We'll all just have to wait it out and see. IMO, they will be sending the next big batch of letters by the end of this week or next week. I mean they have to let most of the people know by the end of March.

lol, the harvard girl is one of my best friends.

and the last part about them not having fully looked over everyone's apps makes me feel somewhat more comforted. and i think you're right. obviously i'm having trouble focusing on finals because look at what i'm doing right now. haha.

Hope everyone did well on finals!

To shed some light on the darkness that is our application cycle, I just ran into Dean Byus and Dean Parker on campus. The haider office was closed today, and last time they met was on a Thursday, and I highly doubt Dean Parker comes all the way from UCLA if they are not having a meeting.

Looks like we will be hearing soon!

Sweet! Thanks for the update. Good Luck to everyone! I hope We all get in:xf:

Hope everyone did well on finals!

To shed some light on the darkness that is our application cycle, I just ran into Dean Byus and Dean Parker on campus. The haider office was closed today, and last time they met was on a Thursday, and I highly doubt Dean Parker comes all the way from UCLA if they are not having a meeting.

Looks like we will be hearing soon!

You were right! I got my letter today, the date on the letter was 3/17 and the date on the envelope was 3/18. I interviewed on 1/15. I am beyond excited!! I had began to lose some hope, especially since my friend received her acceptance 3 weeks ago! I LOVE YOU HAIDER PROGRAM, thanks for having faith in me!!! SO EXCITED AND THANKFUL! Good luck everyone!

You were right! I got my letter today, the date on the letter was 3/17 and the date on the envelope was 3/18. I interviewed on 1/15. I am beyond excited!! I had began to lose some hope, especially since my friend received her acceptance 3 weeks ago! I LOVE YOU HAIDER PROGRAM, thanks for having faith in me!!! SO EXCITED AND THANKFUL! Good luck everyone!

What interview time, I was the 8am.

And I just got accepted too!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Soooooo happy :D

nothing here... starting to lose hope :(:scared:

congrats! and i was 1/15 8am too.

and if the letter said 1/17 and the envelope said 1/18, i'm assuming that means they signed them on thursday and sent them out on friday? that would mean it got to you guys in one day, which means that those of us that haven't gotten it yet shouldn't lose hope.. right? lol.

Ya I wouldnt stress if you haven't gotten one yet. Like people are saying singed Thursday and sent yesterday. I live in a city of like 500 in orange county that doesn't deliver mail till like 3pm so I'm sure tons of peoples are still in transit. Gl everyone!

Just got accepted too!!! Thank God! First Acceptance :) love the haider program too! Facebook group anyone??

i am starting to feel horrible. i mean, i heard ppl as far as san diego got it in a day, so why would it take longer to get to the oc? -_- better drink my own piss!

i'll bet it was signed thursday, sent thursday, and then stamped friday while in transit or something.. fml

I was in the second group. Congrats!!

+1 facebook group!! Lets get that started for sure :)

Also, will you guys be emailing or sending in an actual letter to confirm your acceptance?

Add me on facebook or send me a message so I can invite you guys to the Thomas Haider Class of 2015 group. my name on facebook is Mikha Zaki. or you can just pm me your facebook names or emails or anything. Good luck to everybody else. Stay strong and dnt let up. There's still a chance :)

hope is the first step on the road to disappointment. i should have never had hope of getting in here. gg.

Well I guess we have to wait a bit longer since this week is Spring Break and I don't think the committee will meet during the break. Hopefully the rest of the applicants will receive an admissions decision by 3/30.

Last edited:
is there a UCLA fb group???? =)

Yes Pinolio. Add me on facebook or shoot me a pm or message so I can add you. My facebook name is Mikha Zaki and the group name is UCR/UCLA Thomas Haider Medicine Class of 2015

Status
Not open for further replies.