2010-2011 Oakland University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi,

I have an interview for Oakland Univ. next month and I'm trying to figure out the cheapest way to get there. I'll be flying out of CA and I heard that the school is about 40 miles away from the closest airport. How did you guys/gals get there ? Do you rent a car or is there public transport.

Is there any kind of free housing available for interviewee coming out of state ?

Also, I heard that the med school interview is from7:30 to 17:00. Is this true ?

Thanks,
D

Members don't see this ad.

Hi,

I have an interview for Oakland Univ. next month and I'm trying to figure out the cheapest way to get there. I'll be flying out of CA and I heard that the school is about 40 miles away from the closest airport. How did you guys/gals get there ? Do you rent a car or is there public transport.

Is there any kind of free housing available for interviewee coming out of state ?

Also, I heard that the med school interview is from7:30 to 17:00. Is this true ?

Thanks,
D

lol military time? The interview day is all day aka until 5pm b/c they're in depth and they take you on a bus to the hospital for a tour/interview in the afternoon.

To get to the school I went from Detroit Airport to the school by car. Rent a car, it's probably the cheapest and best way - make sure you have a gps. The school already gives a list of hotels you can stay at.

Members don't see this ad :)
Dear MediCynical,
Thank you for applying to the Oakland University William Beaumont School of Medicine. We appreciate your interest in our inaugural class.
After review of your application materials, we have decided to place your application on hold for further consideration in the spring. We will communicate more information about your application status at that time.

:rolleyes: just tell me I'm rejected, geez... sadistic adcoms are sadistic :laugh:

Dear MediCynical,
Thank you for applying to the Oakland University William Beaumont School of Medicine. We appreciate your interest in our inaugural class.
After review of your application materials, we have decided to place your application on hold for further consideration in the spring. We will communicate more information about your application status at that time.

:rolleyes: just tell me I'm rejected, geez... sadistic adcoms are sadistic :laugh:

Haha, your post prompted me to check my email just for the hell of it, and what do you know....rejected just 5 minutes ago! Oh well, I went there for my undergrad too--not that it matters.

You're already in c/2015..nothing to worry. And I'm sure if you really want to go to OUMB, spots will open up.

Dear MediCynical,

Dear MediCynical,

Was this post-interview or pre-interview?

Well Being on a waitlist for interview is not necessarily a bad thing. I know at least one person who got flat out rejected pre-interview. What you should be worried about is the fact that their class is filling up while you are waiting for the interview. I know a half a dozen (directly and indirectly, not counting SDNers on this thread) of people who have accepted a spot there, and that is just people I know!

To everyone accepted congratulations! I interviewed in October and I was impressed by the presentation of the school. The staff created a very calm and inviting atmosphere for the day. I went to OU for my undergraduate degree and I couldn’t be happier if I’m able to attend this institution next August. With that being said…I’m still waiting to hear back from them.

Well Being on a waitlist for interview is not necessarily a bad thing. I know at least one person who got flat out rejected pre-interview. What you should be worried about is the fact that their class is filling up while you are waiting for the interview. I know a half a dozen (directly and indirectly, not counting SDNers on this thread) of people who have accepted a spot there, and that is just people I know!

Wait...now i'm confused. Does being put on hold mean we're on a waitlist for interviews?

Dear MediCynical,

+1, I got an identical email yesterday as well...

Members don't see this ad :)
I haven't received anything from them since the supplementary completion e-mail in early August... does that mean rejection? Since I never got that hold e-mail either.

I haven't received anything from them since the supplementary completion e-mail in early August... does that mean rejection? Since I never got that hold e-mail either.

I've been complete since early September and I just got an email about an hour ago saying that my application is currently being reviewed and that they should be done reviewing in the next 2-4 weeks. I'm guessing you'll be getting this email soon as well. Best of luck!

Just received the email below. Does this mean anything or are they just trying to weed out the "No Longer Interested" applicants? Has anyone else got this email today?

Dear me,

Thank you for your interest in the Oakland University William Beaumont School of Medicine. We are writing to provide an update on our admissions process.

At this time, we are continuing to screen applications to offer our remaining interview invitations. Your application is in the review process. We hope to complete our reviews within the next 2 to 4 weeks.

If you no longer wish to be considered for admission to the OUWB, please respond to this email so we may withdraw your application.

Thank you again for your continued interest in OUWB.

just received the email below. Does this mean anything or are they just trying to weed out the "no longer interested" applicants? Has anyone else got this email today?

Dear me,

thank you for your interest in the oakland university william beaumont school of medicine. We are writing to provide an update on our admissions process.

At this time, we are continuing to screen applications to offer our remaining interview invitations. Your application is in the review process. We hope to complete our reviews within the next 2 to 4 weeks.

If you no longer wish to be considered for admission to the ouwb, please respond to this email so we may withdraw your application.

Thank you again for your continued interest in ouwb.

+2

They're not weeding out people. Based on their website I believe they have about 50 invites left to give out out of probably around 2-3k of applicants. Could be less applicants if people withdrew and OU rejected some applicants. So just sit and hang tight!

My guess is that they are gearing up to distribute their last batch of invites. I received mine about two weeks and there were not many dates to choose from at that time.

I just got a letter in the mail today saying that I had been rejected post-interview. I had not found on this thread yet anyone saying post-interview rejections had been sent out, so I figured I would let people know. To anyone accepted I would like to reiterate my congratulations. OUWB is going to be a great school and if you have multiple acceptances you should take it strongly into consideration. The faculty OUWB assembled is of the highest quality...I'm just saddened I will not have the opportunity to be taught by them and be a member of the founding class :(. To everyone else still in the application process, good luck and I wish you the best!

I interviewed at OUWB a couple months ago and I received an e-mail last week that said I was still being considered for acceptance. Did anyone else receive something similar to this?

I interviewed at OUWB a couple months ago and I received an e-mail last week that said I was still being considered for acceptance. Did anyone else receive something similar to this?

I got this email also but I didn't know what to make of it. I suppose it's better than a rejection for now. :/

I think I got that same e-mail. From what I read in my e-mail, it seems like they haven't gotten around to making a decision on my file post-interview.

I got this email also. It seems like they are sending it to the majority of people who have interviewed. I understanding they don't want to make a decision about everyone until after the interviews, but with only 50 spots I really wish they would make a few decisions about reject/alternate. It would be nice if they would only keep 50 people in limbo (instead of the other 100+ they interviewed already) and just tell the others that they are rejected to alternates so we at least know what our chances are.

just received the email below. Does this mean anything or are they just trying to weed out the "no longer interested" applicants? Has anyone else got this email today?

Dear me,

thank you for your interest in the oakland university william beaumont school of medicine. We are writing to provide an update on our admissions process.

If you no longer wish to be considered for admission to the ouwb, please respond to this email so we may withdraw your application.

Thank you again for your continued interest in ouwb.

+3

I didn't get an email about my application being reviewed...hmmm...that might be a good thing or a bad thing...

I got this email also. It seems like they are sending it to the majority of people who have interviewed. I understanding they don't want to make a decision about everyone until after the interviews, but with only 50 spots I really wish they would make a few decisions about reject/alternate. It would be nice if they would only keep 50 people in limbo (instead of the other 100+ they interviewed already) and just tell the others that they are rejected to alternates so we at least know what our chances are.

So far about 250 have interviewed w/ probably half of the class full. I remember them saying they weren't really going to reject anyone but keep them in an airy waitlist/limbo keep them around. Someone said before they were rejected post interview which I didn't expect to happen.

Hey all,

Is anyone driving from Ann Arbor to Oakland the morning of Tuesday, 1/18 OR driving from Oakland to Ann Arbor after the interview? I am a northeast person who is a bit stranded!

Let me know/ PM. Thanks and best of luck to everyone!

I didn't get an email about my application being reviewed...hmmm...that might be a good thing or a bad thing...

I didn't get an email either, but I called yesterday and they said my application was still being reviewed and apparently the message didn't get through to my email. So maybe that happened to you too!

I didn't get an email either, but I called yesterday and they said my application was still being reviewed and apparently the message didn't get through to my email. So maybe that happened to you too!

I haven't received anything from the time I submitted my secondary way back in September (or whenever the earliest it was to send it out) to now.

It's probably a rejection.

Hey I was wondering if anyone else noticed this. I haven't checked my Oakland page in ages and I interviewed in December. All my statuses are checked complete except for application complete and offer something. Is this usual or is there something I need to do post-interview to make sure my application is complete?

Hey I was wondering if anyone else noticed this. I haven't checked my Oakland page in ages and I interviewed in December. All my statuses are checked complete except for application complete and offer something. Is this usual or is there something I need to do post-interview to make sure my application is complete?

I interviewed back in Oct and am still waiting to hear back. I just checked my portal and it looks just like it always did. I have a green check by application complete and then a calendar icon by interivew. Nothing that says "offer." I don't know for sure, but my first guess is that you may be accepted since the word offer is listed...

Accepted! Got a call this afternoon!
29O, 3.71
Here's to my fellow <30 MCATers, you can do it!:D

Congratulations. Silly MCAT. Any advice for the interview?

The interviewers at OU were easy-going and friendly.
Just research the school and find how you fit in with their style and display some kind of passion for your future work. :D

dear medicynical,
thank you for applying to the oakland university william beaumont school of medicine. We appreciate your interest in our inaugural class.

:rolleyes: Just tell me i'm rejected, geez... Sadistic adcoms are sadistic :laugh:

+2

:( I am sorry to hear that. Did you get this today?

I have received no word since my application was complete, other than the mass notification that they sent out last week. I am waiting on pins and needles. January is almost over and not one interview yet. :scared:

:( I am sorry to hear that. Did you get this today?

I have received no word since my application was complete, other than the mass notification that they sent out last week. I am waiting on pins and needles. January is almost over and not one interview yet. :scared:

I have also not heard anything since being complete (almost immediately after they launched the secondary in August). On the other hand, I did not receive any emails from them last week.

Hello! Haven't posted much to date, but I have been following along for some time now. I interviewed back in early December and am still waiting to hear some good news. I REALLY liked the school and would love to have the opportunity to attend.

That being said, has anyone followed up on the "still being considered email" post-interview sent out about two weeks ago with a phone call? Just trying to figure out if calling the admissions office would be an appropriate step now...

thanks for your input!

Just got my interview invite, and I might have to reschedule :mad:! Hopefully it'll be painless like it was at Wayne. The nice thing is that I only live 10 minutes away, and I'm auditing Human Anatomy with Dr. Bee, an awesome professor who'll be one of the Med School Master Instructors :D. Honestly, I'm surprised that I even got one with how late I applied thanks to an error which saved but didn't confirm and essay. I only got the thing submitted in mid October I believe.

I noticed that there was some movement with their interview counter - is it me or did it used to say that there would only be 300 interviews? Not sure what difference an extra 20 interviews will make?

I noticed that there was some movement with their interview counter - is it me or did it used to say that there would only be 300 interviews? Not sure what difference an extra 20 interviews will make?

The counter says "anticipated number", so I am guessing they are being flexible for their first admissions cycle. I am not complaining about more interview slots opening up.
:xf:

Emailed about my status. Here's the response:

"Thank you for your email. Your application is still in the screening process. As soon as a final decision is made, we will notify you by email. Please make sure that your contact information is kept up-to-date in AMCAS. In the meantime, we appreciate your patience and continued interest in the OUWB School of Medicine."

Status
Not open for further replies.