2010-2011 NYU Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Accepted today! It doesn't matter when you interviewed, I interviewed on the last day in January.

Members don't see this ad.

Congrats to GoBlue12 and Neurosteep!

How long did they give you to decide? I'm trying to figure out if the acceptances given out today can possibly include the ones from May 13th if anyone from that group were forced to decide that soon and actually declined...

The email actually doesn't mention the fact that it's an acceptance off of the waitlist at all. The only mention of a deadline is where it says "Your matriculation deposit must be received within two weeks of your acceptance."

@neurosteep & GoBlue12
i can't thank you enough for letting us know and I feel like a real jerk for asking right now, but are you both planning on going? (I assume GoBlue is from the enthusiasm)

thanks!

Yes I too will be attending! Very much excited, was not expecting to hear from NYU today (or at all really).

Good luck to everyone still on the waiting list. Feel free to PM me with any questions.

Congrats guys. I guess this is good news for the rest of us, as we may be seeing somewhat somewhat normal close movement from NYU.

Members don't see this ad :)
My stats were 3.74 overall and 3.72 science gpa
Evolutionary Anthropology Concentration

I sent a combined update/ LOI back in late April and a quick update 2 weeks ago

Yup i'm going!! :)

Thanks everyone!! Good Luck to all on the wait list!!

Last edited:
Hi Goblue,

Did you send your updates to the generic email or directly to the dean of admissions/specific admissions officer?

i sent my letters to the "Admissions Committee" so not to any particular person

I also had my current Principle Investigator from the NIH send in a recommendation letter via e-mail.

(I took a year off as a research fellow)

Was accepted yesterday as well by email!!!! What an awesome day. Interviewed mid November and have sent two updates and a few extra recommendations. Good luck to those still waiting.

Accepted today! It doesn't matter when you interviewed, I interviewed on the last day in January.

You're right! It shouldn't matter, but until your post, I hadn't heard of anyone in January getting off the list so far this year... so the idea of late interviewees maybe not getting as much love as the early ones was starting to creep up on me.

The email actually doesn't mention the fact that it's an acceptance off of the waitlist at all. The only mention of a deadline is where it says "Your matriculation deposit must be received within two weeks of your acceptance."

Yes I too will be attending! Very much excited, was not expecting to hear from NYU today (or at all really).

Good luck to everyone still on the waiting list. Feel free to PM me with any questions.

Ok, 2 weeks- got it! Some other schools post May 15 have just been giving a week.

Congrats guys. I guess this is good news for the rest of us, as we may be seeing somewhat somewhat normal close movement from NYU.

I also got that "we're catching up feeling!" Looking at last year's thread, by this time there had been movement once way before and then just after the May 15 deadline. This year, it's been just before the deadline and then yesterday.

Last edited:
Does anyone know where the NYU SOM Class of 2015 thread is? I can't seem to find the official one

Members don't see this ad :)
thanks! I joined it :)

Are you also going to NYU this fall? @ MB333999

Yea Blue i'll see you there =)

@ citrus:

Congrats MB333999 !!!!

Go NYU Violets (or Bobcats)!!! :D

Hmmm by when do we need to accept these loans? does anybody know?

Phyllis Schulz (director of fin. aid, who is awesome) said this to that same question: "Once you decide which medical school you are attending, you should accept/decline your financial aid. For most students, we expect this to occur by May 15th."

Hive mind, am I confused (maybe it's a different school I'm thinking of) or do we have to do a drug test before school starts? I was thinking of getting that done soon, but I couldn't find information on it.

Hive mind, am I confused (maybe it's a different school I'm thinking of) or do we have to do a drug test before school starts? I was thinking of getting that done soon, but I couldn't find information on it.

never heard of such a thing.

this is reminding me of a certain "dream" someone here had about a free flight for revisit day :laugh:

Phyllis Schulz (director of fin. aid, who is awesome) said this to that same question: "Once you decide which medical school you are attending, you should accept/decline your financial aid. For most students, we expect this to occur by May 15th."

FYI, anyone else who´s wondering... I asked Phyllis Schulz, and she said that there is no deadline. In fact, you can basically not accept the package through the start of classes, and it will still be available should you choose to do so. When classes start, all they do is send you an e-mail "encouraging" you to decide.

FYI, anyone else who´s wondering... I asked Phyllis Schulz, and she said that there is no deadline. In fact, you can basically not accept the package through the start of classes, and it will still be available should you choose to do so. When classes start, all they do is send you an e-mail "encouraging" you to decide.

Daaang, Phyllis Schulz is misleading me.

Does WL movement on 5/24 foreshadow possibly seeing movement this week, since it'll be 2 weeks since...?

Does anybody know if there is a geographic bias against people from TX? I've heard that a lot of northeastern schools do not take many students from TX or elsewhere in the south and I want to know if it's worth my time to apply.

Does anybody know if there is a geographic bias against people from TX? I've heard that a lot of northeastern schools do not take many students from TX or elsewhere in the south and I want to know if it's worth my time to apply.

It seems like more of an "outside of NY" bias. Most people who get acceptances went to Cornell or Columbia from what I can tell, sometimes Michigan. Undergrad prestige seems to be more important than factors like MCAT, grades etc.

Eh maybe not more. But it does seem that a majority of the acceptances have gone to people from NY schools, top 20 schools, or both. I am not saying this is bad or unfair, only observing a trend (I think). Feel free to correct me if I am way off.

Eh maybe not more. But it does seem that a majority of the acceptances have gone to people from NY schools, top 20 schools, or both. I am not saying this is bad or unfair, only observing a trend (I think). Feel free to correct me if I am way off.

Nah I'll take your word for that; I haven't paid close enough attention. I would just be skeptical of your school being more important than your scores.

I doubt the "prestige" factor has a big role when applying to medical school.
I think the quality of the applicants matters a whole lot more.

If anything, admissions committees might compare say a 30, 3.5 applicant from a top school vs a 30, 3.5 from a lower ranked school and might take the candidate from the more "prestigious" school. But other than this scenario I don't see how just the name of a school can give you a significant boost.

It's all about the individual not necessarily what school they are affiliated with.

... just my 2 cents

I think the school prestige factor, in philosophy, should not matter so much. But I don't think that plays out in real life. The adcom members are human and have likely been in and around the academic world. Just like anyone else, they are biased by the prestige of the IVYs and other top notch undergrad schools. People say it doesn't matter, but I just don't think that is an accurate statement from my experience. Obviously, you need to be a top student at your institution and those from less known schools still can do well for themselves with the right background and stats. But a large number of applicants are all in that range of having a good mcat, >3.8 GPA, and all the right ECs. So it makes sense that the undergrad might be a difference maker since so many people are equal in other ways.

To be honest, I think what looks like adcoms preferring students from prestigious schools is actually adcoms preferring students with city experience. Downstate is the only NYC school that addresses it in their application, but I think all Manhattan/Brooklyn schools are concerned about their students thriving in the NYC environment. Having done my undergrad in Manhattan, I know that people can come from less urban areas and become utterly overwhelmed by the New York fast-paced life. Everyone I know who dropped out due to stress/depression (quite a few people) grew up in suburbia with little to no city experience.

That said, most prestigious schools are located within or bordering a very urban environment. I met a ton of people at revisit day who studied at Barnard/Columbia/NYU. I really think New York tends to favor its own.

EDIT: and on a similar note, I think school prestige matters as far as showing how the student was able to perform in high-stress environments. Prestigious schools are dead stressful, either as a result of the workload or the competition among students. I can see how this could factor into medical school admissions.

When you e-mailed your update/LOI did you copy&paste into the body of the e-mail or add as an attachment?

I'm afraid it won't get opened as an attachment :p:(

Any news on the waitlist front??? >.<

Nothing here either! I am thinking it may be mid-June like last year (but they seem to not not have real patterns over the years so it's just an unfounded hunch).

Nothing here either! I am thinking it may be mid-June like last year (but they seem to not not have real patterns over the years so it's just an unfounded hunch).

Just throwing this out there: why not tomorrow? The first "wave" of WL acceptances came through two Tuesdays ago with a deadline to pay the deposit within 2 weeks. Those two weeks ended tonight. If there are people out there who decided not to go to NYU by today, there should be spots up for grabs. Why delay notification from the admissions office perspective?

My 2 cents.

Just throwing this out there: why not tomorrow? The first "wave" of WL acceptances came through two Tuesdays ago with a deadline to pay the deposit within 2 weeks. Those two weeks ended tonight. If there are people out there who decided not to go to NYU by today, there should be spots up for grabs. Why delay notification from the admissions office perspective?

My 2 cents.

That would be awesome. My hope of getting off this waitlist dwindles by the second.......! I hope it is not over for us.

Sent via Tapatalk on Android

My 2 cents.

Looks like another quiet day...

Looks like another quiet day...

Annoying isn't it? No rhyme or reason. Unless all spots were taken by yesterday...there should be vacant seats. This waitlist business is...well I have no decent words for it.

How long is everyone planning on staying on the waitlist? Till the very end? I need to move forward soon with housing at the school I'm planning on going to, and once I get locked in there and buy plane tix to fly there and everything, I'm not sure how feasible it would be to change my plans if I were to get off the waitlist here. AHh i want to go to NYU so badly..being on the waitlist is really frustrating!

How long is everyone planning on staying on the waitlist? Till the very end? I need to move forward soon with housing at the school I'm planning on going to, and once I get locked in there and buy plane tix to fly there and everything, I'm not sure how feasible it would be to change my plans if I were to get off the waitlist here. AHh i want to go to NYU so badly..being on the waitlist is really frustrating!

Yeah I have thought the same thing, I think some people withdraw just to have a feeling of closure hah. Currently examining houses etc right now as well.

I plan on staying on the WL just another week or two. I really want to finalize everything with the school I'm likely attending, and since I'm perfectly happy going there, and think it's a great fit, I'm more staying on the waitlist for curiosity's sake...

The very end would probably be mid August or so? Like the posters above, I will need to eventually firm up things (i.e. housing).

At the same time, I am in love with what NYU offers and will wait it out some more. I'm guessing after June chances decrease drastically so I'll consider pulling the plug on this WL sometime in July.

Come on NYU, get that WL moving...even a bit!

I'm planning on staying til the bitter end if necessary, but that's easier for me to say than others considering that I live in NYC and that as of right now, I would be going to Downstate. I'm doing on-campus housing either way, so moving wouldn't be too much of a hassle aside from losing my housing deposit. That being said, I'm also on 3 other waiting lists and debating how much longer I should stay on those...

I'm planning on staying til the bitter end if necessary, but that's easier for me to say than others considering that I live in NYC and that as of right now, I would be going to Downstate. I'm doing on-campus housing either way, so moving wouldn't be too much of a hassle aside from losing my housing deposit. That being said, I'm also on 3 other waiting lists and debating how much longer I should stay on those...

Well if you are still on those lists, it seems that you would prefer those schools to Downstate... If you are doing on-campus housing either way, then I would think that the hassle would be considerably less and I would stay on all of them till the end if you seem to prefer them to where you are in at the moment.. good luck!

Hmm yeah it's extremely frustrating. I also planning on staying on the WL till the very end, considering I don't really have another option at this point.. =\

By the way, I just called them today and apparently there was some WL movement in the past couple days just as people predicted that there would be

Status
Not open for further replies.