2010-2011 NYU Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
for those who went, how was the revisit weekend?

Members don't see this ad.

So am I correct to assume none of you guys have heard off anyone coming off the WL yet at NYU? Seems significantly different from years past...there was WL movement as early as late March two years ago I believe.

Anyway, I'm guessing we should seem some movement the week of May 16-23 but it looks like NYU may have over-accepted more than they typically did in the past. Thoughts?

Members don't see this ad :)
So am I correct to assume none of you guys have heard off anyone coming off the WL yet at NYU? Seems significantly different from years past...there was WL movement as early as late March two years ago I believe.

Anyway, I'm guessing we should seem some movement the week of May 16-23 but it looks like NYU may have over-accepted more than they typically did in the past. Thoughts?

I heard from a second year that works with admissions and they said they overaccepted this year so not to expect much movement. : (

How could they know until they see if people withdraw? The facebook group seems similar in size to last year at this point if you assume it is a fairly consistent measure.

This is all very upsetting.

At the revisit days, it seemed like there was a pretty fair mix of those that were still deciding where to attend (and had a good selection to consider) and those that were sure they would be attending nyu. Based on this, I'm convinced they'll have to use the waitlist, but it's difficult to say if there will be as much movement as in past years.

Yea I wouldn't get to crazy trying to predict anything. The admissions office does not necessarily even have a good idea how many students that they have accepted are actually going to be matriculating. For all they know, every student could withdraw on May 15th. Obviously, they have a lot of experience and likely have some idea, but things happen (the same way a school can over-enroll). I also would not believe everything you hear on these boards. Even if the person reports something with good intentions, information that is passed along that is technically coming from the admissions office is often inaccurate or misinformed.

Yea I wouldn't get to crazy trying to predict anything. The admissions office does not necessarily even have a good idea how many students that they have accepted are actually going to be matriculating. For all they know, every student could withdraw on May 15th. Obviously, they have a lot of experience and likely have some idea, but things happen (the same way a school can over-enroll). I also would not believe everything you hear on these boards. Even if the person reports something with good intentions, information that is passed along that is technically coming from the admissions office is often inaccurate or misinformed.
agreed, but i still see a "this statement is false" situation with your statement lol

What comes to mind for me is all too often when people post that they spoke with admissions and the class is full. And two weeks later the waitlist begins to undergo drastic movement.

Members don't see this ad :)
Second look was a great time and really well done, I would say that more than 50% (maybe even closer to 75%) of the people there were set on going to NYU; however, they told us there were 80-100 in attendance and the class size is 160+, so I'm sure there will be some turnover. Both the incomings and first years were such a great group of people. As much as I loved this school it's just not where I'm going to end up, so hopefully someone on here gets my spot and will love it as much as I would have! :luck:

what's the facebook link for nyu 2015? it doesn't come in my search. has this been resolved from earlier threads?

I dunno... my friends haven't had any difficulty finding it on facebook. The lack of searchability is just a general facebook thing. New groups have to wait a few weeks to be searchable.

Does anyone think we will see some waitlist action from NYU next week?

Does anyone think we will see some waitlist action from NYU next week?

I do yep. NYU is a great school but it has significant acceptee overlap with many other great schools. Even if they overaccepted more than usual (not sure how much of this is true), I still think there will be WL movement that will begin to occur sometime next week.

This pattern is a bit unusual for NYU (WL offers made prior to the May 15 deadline in the past) according to recent years...but WL movement patterns can change from year to year drastically at any given school.

It seems sensible to assume that less pre-15th movement might mean less waitlist movement overall. We shall see.

I haven't looked at past year's threads in a while, but it didn't seem there was too much pre-May 15 waitlist movement--perhaps one wave last year in March and then nothing til around the 15th? Was there pre-May 15 movement the year before last? In any case, I would hesitate before reading last year's dates as a guideline because last year's dates haven't governed their acceptance/waitlist/etc. behavior so far. They seem to want to keep us guessing!

It seems sensible to assume that less pre-15th movement might mean less waitlist movement overall. We shall see.

++. The "less" in this case being 0 movement pre-15th unless someone posts an acceptance off the NYU WL here/or knows someone who has gotten off the WL this year already.

I got an email of acceptance today, stating that I should log in for the matriculation deposit. No phone call yet though.

Keep your heads up high guys.

I got an email of acceptance today, stating that I should log in for the matriculation deposit. No phone call yet though.

Keep your heads up high guys.

Were you previously waitlisted or this is your first time hearing back from them?

Were you previously waitlisted or this is your first time hearing back from them?

I had an interview in mid-October and didn't hear back from them until the end of Feb when they culled their list of applicants. At that point I was waitlisted and didn't hear back from them until now.

I had an interview in mid-October and didn't hear back from them until the end of Feb when they culled their list of applicants. At that point I was waitlisted and didn't hear back from them until now.

Congrats!!!! ( I should have said that on my earlier post). So I guess we will start hearing about WL movement soon.

Here we go people. Congrats to the OP who was taken off the WL. Looks like some acceptances (I'm assuming more than 1 obviously) came out today for NYU waitlistees. That means next week should have some action, maybe as early as Monday.

I am accepted to NYU, paid my $100 deposit. I never withdraw, but just received the $100 refund. What should I do?

I am accepted to NYU, paid my $100 deposit. I never withdraw, but just received the $100 refund. What should I do?

prob try contacting admissions as soon as possible! im sure you'll be fine since they won't have proof of a withdrawal

Here we go people. Congrats to the OP who was taken off the WL. Looks like some acceptances (I'm assuming more than 1 obviously) came out today for NYU waitlistees. That means next week should have some action, maybe as early as Monday.

Yup! Got the email today. Good luck to the rest of you!

btw, I interviewed in mid Nov and didn't get waitlisted til end of Feb if anyone wanted to know.

Congrats to those acccepted off the waitlist yesterday! Do you think the next batch of acceptances will go out next week or will it be more like 2-3 weeks now?

So... anyone know where we send transcripts to?

Congrats to those acccepted off the waitlist yesterday! Do you think the next batch of acceptances will go out next week or will it be more like 2-3 weeks now?

I dont think anyone knows this...other than the adcoms.....

Sent via Tapatalk on Android

THey usually give 2 wks for you to decide, so the next batch comes 2-3 wks later. But since this was before the May 15th deadline, the timing for the next one could be different than usual if more people withdraw. So who knows.

Yup! Got the email today. Good luck to the rest of you!

btw, I interviewed in mid Nov and didn't get waitlisted til end of Feb if anyone wanted to know.

Great (and congrats!), thanks for letting us know.

Since I'm a January interviewee I'm curious if any of the January interviewees get accepted...if you're reading this and you've interviewed in January and have been accepted, let us know!

Interviewed in late November, no news yet. I get the feeling a decent amount of people were handed acceptances on Friday. Hopefully there is still decent post-deadline movement. These acceptances would seem to lay those over-accepted rumors to rest to rest somewhat, agreed?

Last year I think that there was a wave of acceptances on the 17th. Hopefully some of us get good news tomorrow. Good luck everybody!

Last year I think that there was a wave of acceptances on the 17th. Hopefully some of us get good news tomorrow. Good luck everybody!

Not to be a downer, but today is the equivalent of last year's May 17.

I agree with whoever posted above that the patterns of previous years probably don't matter at all since they haven't been informative up to this point. Everyone should just resign themselves to the idea that they're not going to get off of any waitlists (small chance) then life will be a lot easier.

Not to be a downer, but today is the equivalent of last year's May 17.

I agree with whoever posted above that the patterns of previous years probably don't matter at all since they haven't been informative up to this point. Everyone should just resign themselves to the idea that they're not going to get off of any waitlists (small chance) then life will be a lot easier.

Agreed. Sitting on four waitlists but i've resigned to the fact that I'm going to my 'non top school' aka nyu this fall. after disappointment after disappointment this cycle it really does make things easier!

Agreed. Sitting on four waitlists but i've resigned to the fact that I'm going to my 'non top school' aka nyu this fall. after disappointment after disappointment this cycle it really does make things easier!

You and me both

Don't feel too sorry for yourselves. Some people (ahem, me) have no acceptances despite many top quality interviews, are on a ton of waitlists, and would love to be heading to NYU...or anywhere, really.

Don't feel too sorry for yourselves. Some people (ahem, me) have no acceptances despite many top quality interviews, are on a ton of waitlists, and would love to be heading to NYU...or anywhere, really.

I was in your place last year. I understand if you're freaking out about it.

I think it's going to be a few weeks. Prove me wrong, NYU!

Did anyone else get the background check email this morning? Is that sent to everyone after the May 15th deadline?
I was just wondering because I don't have an acceptance yet, only wait lists...

Not sent to everyone. I think you might be in line for an acceptance sometime in the next week or so.

Status
Not open for further replies.