2010-2011 Meharry Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ksmi117

GEAUX TIGERS!!!
Moderator Emeritus
Lifetime Donor
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Reserved for prompt.

Please PM the essays or lack thereof to me (ksmi117) when the secondary is available.

:luck: with your application!

Members don't see this ad.

Just got a email:

This E-mail is to acknowledge receipt of your 2011 AMCAS electronic application by Meharry Medical College. You will receive further communication after the initial review process is completed which will start on August 2, 2010 .

I guess we have to wait a little longer for a secondary maybe???

not just a "little" longer :p

but seriously, a month's wait is not that bad. It will be kind of nice to have this secondary staggered with the ones from other medical schools. Most people are a little overwhelmed with their first batch of secondaries at this point.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
not just a "little" longer :p

but seriously, a month's wait is not that bad. It will be kind of nice to have this secondary staggered with the ones from other medical schools. Most people are a little overwhelmed with their first batch of secondaries at this point.

Yeah you are right...It gives me sometime to continue focusing on the MCAT in a few weeks and worry about rest of these secondaries later this month..

Ohemgee! After religiously reading last year's Meharry thread last year, I am so excited to apply and share my anxiety about getting in with you guys! It seems like last year's bunch got really close. Pretty much everyone gets a secondary at Meharry from what I understand. You can actually go on the website and work on it, you just can't submit it until they open up the secondary system. I'll post a link if you want to get a jump start. Lemme know. I wanna go to Meharry sooooo bad! Last year, people were all like, "They called me yesterday and asked if I could make it to class in two days when class starts. I was on the waiting list." If they do that to me, I'mma be like "Let's get it. See you in 4 hours" and I won't need to stop for gas cuz I'm about to get a Prius.

Meharry Hopeful for Class of 2015!
Let's Get 'Er Done! :xf:

Ohemgee! After religiously reading last year's Meharry thread last year, I am so excited to apply and share my anxiety about getting in with you guys! It seems like last year's bunch got really close. Pretty much everyone gets a secondary at Meharry from what I understand. You can actually go on the website and work on it, you just can't submit it until they open up the secondary system. I'll post a link if you want to get a jump start. Lemme know. I wanna go to Meharry sooooo bad! Last year, people were all like, "They called me yesterday and asked if I could make it to class in two days when class starts. I was on the waiting list." If they do that to me, I'mma be like "Let's get it. See you in 4 hours" and I won't need to stop for gas cuz I'm about to get a Prius.

Meharry Hopeful for Class of 2015!
Let's Get 'Er Done! :xf:

With enthusiasm like this, you better get in! I'm glad the secondary isn't out yet it's nice to have them in batches! GL :)

I hope so... Let's hope they say that too. I will immediately withdraw my other apps if I get in there. Just let me get an interview! If I get that interview, it's a wrap. They'll be like, "Wow! She's amazing! :eek:" Well, they may not but that's how I'm gonna think about it!

I got an email today stating that they just received my AMCAS application although my app was submitted 6/15. How long did it take for other people to receive their invite for secondary or an email saying they received your application? I have my secondary pretty much ready just waiting for an invite so hopefully it will come soon. Need the extra motivation to finish it!

Just finished my personal statement. Bout to submit my AMCAS App! This is so surreal. I'm guessing since they don't start interviewing till October-ish this thread will be slow. I'm gonna write anyway since reading last year's really motivated me to apply. Hope I get that interview! I know that it's coming, I just hope that I'm alive for it...:scared:

Hey everyone,

I know that howard cares a lot about showing interest in underserviced areas, but is meharry the same in this regard?

thanks

Just got a email:

This E-mail is to acknowledge receipt of your 2011 AMCAS electronic application by Meharry Medical College. You will receive further communication after the initial review process is completed which will start on August 2, 2010 .

I guess we have to wait a little longer for a secondary maybe???

hmm..i did not receive this email, and my amcas application was confirmed about 2 weeks ago. does this mean I have been rejected? lol that was awfully hasty. :rolleyes:

hmm..i did not receive this email, and my amcas application was confirmed about 2 weeks ago. does this mean I have been rejected? lol that was awfully hasty. :rolleyes:

It just means you missed the first batch of primary application acknowledgements that they sent out

Members don't see this ad :)
Just received the email for the secondary today :)

So did I, but it won't let me into the app for some reason. I wonder if it's overlap of my account since I also applied to morehouse and they use the same system... It tells me no applications are available at this time.

there seems to be no word limit for the essay. how much should we write?

there seems to be no word limit for the essay. how much should we write?

I'm assuming as much as is necessary to express your interest in attending Meharry. If you're curious, I wrote ~500 words (~3000 characters with spaces), but since there is no guideline, I don't think it matters how much or how little we write as long as we are able to express what is important.

Please let me know if you are able to submit after you finish writing :thumbup: nvm. it works now

Last edited:
Hello All,

I just received the meharry 2ndary like most of you. Was it sent to everyone who submitted primary? or were we selected specifically?

do you guys have any idea what they want in this essay? it lacks guidelines.

thanks!

I tried again and was able to submit this time. Under year of application, there is now a "SOM" which previously was just blank.

Do you guys know what "SOM" means?

school of medicine entering 2011 application. : ) Meharry has a dental school too, and at least one other. Graduate school, i think.

Last edited:
Whoo hoo!! Got my secondary this morning!! =]

GTP:
All HBCU Medical Schools want you to exhibit an interest in the underserved. To my knowledge, they don't do much screening. Everyone who applies gets a secondary.

I sent my secondary off this morning.

Can anyone post the secondary?

For the drop down boxes asking what you are most interested in (mainly the one about what kind of practice you want to have) do we have to fill out all 9 boxes? What if you really aren't considering things like medical administration?

For the drop down boxes asking what you are most interested in (mainly the one about what kind of practice you want to have) do we have to fill out all 9 boxes? What if you really aren't considering things like medical administration?

I considered leaving some of the boxes blank because I didn't want to rank some of those things at all. In the end, I ended up just ranking those things the lowest. :xf:

I considered leaving some of the boxes blank because I didn't want to rank some of those things at all. In the end, I ended up just ranking those things the lowest. :xf:

That's what I did too.

I did the same. I mean, technically to fill out all of them didn't you have to even use undecided?

Haha, yea.. that was weird, lol. Wouldn't it be awkward if someone placed "Undecided" on number 4? =P

Haha, yea.. that was weird, lol. Wouldn't it be awkward if someone placed "Undecided" on number 4? =P

I did that! :rofl: Seriously, for 2 or 3 of those things I have definitely made up my mind that I am not interested in them, at all. So I ranked 'undecided' as higher than those things :p

Hey guys! I figured I joined the thread. I was on last years thread alot. I just recieved my secondary; I'm going to send it off this weekend. I had an interview last year. I didn't get complete until January though an got wait listed. So I'm just preparing myself for the ride. This year I'm early. I hope to get in. Good luck! We had a cool thread of ppl last yr. Hope the same this yr.

Hey guys! I figured I joined the thread. I was on last years thread alot. I just recieved my secondary; I'm going to send it off this weekend. I had an interview last year. I didn't get complete until January though an got wait listed. So I'm just preparing myself for the ride. This year I'm early. I hope to get in. Good luck! We had a cool thread of ppl last yr. Hope the same this yr.

Welcome and good luck!! =]

Umm what did everyone put for the "can you afford medical school question"? Its kind of a weird one, no? I am planning to pay with loans, what should i put?

Umm what did everyone put for the "can you afford medical school question"? Its kind of a weird one, no? I am planning to pay with loans, what should i put?

In my humble opinion, put "yes" (that you can afford medical school) and then put a check in the loans box. I think people who have very bad credit (can't get loans) and also aren't rich enough to pay for medical school on their own would have to answer "no." Again, I'm not certain about this.

In my humble opinion, put "yes" (that you can afford medical school) and then put a check in the loans box. I think people who have very bad credit (can't get loans) and also aren't rich enough to pay for medical school on their own would have to answer "no." Again, I'm not certain about this.

I did the same thing. Yes, loans.

just got an email stating i was complete

Status
Not open for further replies.