2010-2011 Case Western Reserve University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
11zx1000g_201reddrf00d.jpg

Moving on...!

I just wanted to ask current students a couple of questions:

1) Do students there really end up spending at the projected expenses put up by Case which comes to about $74,562? (this is including housing, tuition and everything else) Or is it lower?
This is up to you! You can borrow up to that amount, but most people won't have to. It's all about the lifestyle and convenience you want with the money you borrowed.

2) the match list for Case is amazing! I am just wondering whether that includes students in the College and UP program. what are the match differences between students in the college and up program?
It includes both, generally. Not sure which one you're looking at, though. There are UP- and CCLCM-specific versions of the list floating around. The match, however, is not something that you'll need to worry about for a while.

It's always interesting(?) when the premeds ask about the match list. The match list itself is not all that useful to you. You don't know the strengths of all of the various and sundry residency programs. You don't know what the individual's rank list was to begin with or why he or she picked a particular program or perhaps location, either.

It's not completely useless to you, but most people at the pre-med level just see a bunch of well-known names and think "ooooh!" (Which I don't mind. Think Case is awesome! Because it is!)

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I got the call! I can't believe it--- I do think I sounded like an idiot on the phone....:D

Congrats! I hope to follow you and be in a similar situation as you soon! Sort of jealous, but happy for you at the same time!

No acceptances, 2 (maybe 3) wait lists. Very stressful!

Congrats! I hope to follow you and be in a similar situation as you soon! Sort of jealous, but happy for you at the same time!

No acceptances, 2 (maybe 3) wait lists. Very stressful!

Ah, yeah, I was in a very similar situation myself. Good luck!:luck::luck::luck:

...you know, 150 more posts and we put Case's secondary thread at #2 all-time in SSD right behind... Case.

Members don't see this ad :)
Ah, yeah, I was in a very similar situation myself. Good luck!:luck::luck::luck:

...you know, 150 more posts and we put Case's secondary thread at #2 all-time in SSD right behind... Case.

Thanks Myuu.

Well to contribute to the 150 posts left..... sorry your CAPS didn't beat Tampa Bay. Have you still been watching the playoffs? Its been crazy, I am rooting for the Sharks.

Haha yeah I've noticed that Case seems to have the most posts out of all the threads. It's because it's such a great place to be! Here's to hoping I get some alma mater love this cycle once I submit my app in a few weeks.:xf: Good luck to you all who are still on waitlists!

Ever notice that if you turn your avatar upside down, it looks like a robot reading a book on a desk?

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

I can see a teenage mutant ninja turtle as well

I really want to know how you came up with this lol

what the eff, how?!?!

First, you need to complete an undergraduate degree in pre-rocket sciences. If you can, try and volunteer at your local space museum, and I would suggest at least 50 hours of blowing stuff up-minimum. If you can shadow an astronaught, preferably above 10,000 ft ASL - great! Then you need to take the RSAT. Really there are only two sections, Physics, and your writing sample of course. Physics of course is scored in hexidecimal (not to brag, but I scored a 0xEF - not too shabby). And writing is greek letters (only got a gamma).

Sent from my SPH-M900 using Tapatalk

Congratulations to all the graduates yesterday! I heard it was a very nice cermony.

Does anyone have any recommendation between the 13" and 15" macbook? I'm definitely picking one of those but not sure which.

Hello everyone. I recently got off the alternate list and was wondering if any of you charming and helpful Case students would be willing to share insights about Triangle living. Pros-cons. Is it really a rat-infested hell-hole like one online reviews suggests?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hello everyone. I recently got off the alternate list and was wondering if any of you charming and helpful Case students would be willing to share insights about Triangle living. Pros-cons. Is it really a rat-infested hell-hole like one online reviews suggests?

Rat-infested hell-hole???:confused::confused::confused: I've yet to see a mouse outside of labs.

So, I live in a studio in the Triangle, which currently, is still priced about the same as a studio in the Waldorf.

Benefits:
• Free utilities except for phone/cable/internet
• Covered parking (we'll come back to this in the cons)
• Very responsive maintenance
• Quiet (on my side of the building, at least)
• Convenient (mostly indoor walk to UH/Case if you want, still a short walk otherwise, near the fast food/starbucks/new development)
• Free gym
• Going to be next to MOCA Cleveland, proximity to nearly all of the museums
• Small non-dog-mammal-friendly. Also reptile friendly, I think. But that's probably irrelevant.

The not-benefits:
• Parking is $250/yr (this is new for this year, as the new developments neglected to include parking for themselves--still $250 if you're trying to park a motorcycle, btw)
• Construction on the north side of Triangle II and the north and west sides of Triangle I.
• 50% of the leasing office is comprised of nice, compassionate human beings. The other 50% is comprised of sycophantic jerks who believe that if something isn't specifically addressed in the contract, they can make changes to things whenever and without notice. (I'm a bit peeved about their prior behavior of rent being due within 3 business days changing to 3 calendar days. Surprise! Pay us $40. Haet u.)

...hmm, that's all I can think of for now.

Thank you very much Myuu. This is just what I needed. Case, Triangle here I come!!!

Waiting, waiting, hoping the list moves again in my direction. :cool::eek:

I'M A ROCKET SCIENTIST!!!!!!!
BEST DAY EVER!!!!
:zip::zip::zip::zip::zip::zip::zip:

Flashing%20lights%20arrow.gif

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=THNPmhBl-8I

Wow, congrats! Is that what you wanted to be when you grow up?;)

Glad to see the Case thread is running strong as ever, although I was pretty surprised to see some of the real stalwart contributors of the thread over the last year head off to other schools. I guess, in my mind, I always figured we'd all meet on the first day of class, have some laughs, something like that. I'm such a dreamer.....:laugh:

Anyways, rock on Case......Spartans? Spartans? Really? Rough Riders? Red Cats? Oh how about the fighting Scientists? Gotta love that one! Geez, does Case hold the record for the most mascots?

Got an email today about letting them know if we want to withdraw from the wait list. I'm pretty sure I'm set on where I'm going to be next year, but I really do hate to let this one go. I'm very torn. I don't want to waste their time calling me if it ends up that way, but I absolutely LOVED Case. :confused:

:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

I can see a teenage mutant ninja turtle as well

I really want to know how you came up with this lol

I think it started with my noticing that the nose appears to have a frowny face inside it, so I tilted my head a bit, then the robot just jumped out at me :laugh:.

Got an email today about letting them know if we want to withdraw from the wait list. I'm pretty sure I'm set on where I'm going to be next year, but I really do hate to let this one go. I'm very torn. I don't want to waste their time calling me if it ends up that way, but I absolutely LOVED Case. :confused:

In the end you can only go to one school. Assume you were accepted to Case, where would you go? If you choose Case then stay on the list, if not then off. Pretty simple

The Triangle is a pretty good place to live. I've heard good thigns about both them and Waldorf. Of course, most people I know still live in campus housing lol. But the developments in front, while annoying, are going to be amazing. The new Case Barnes and Noble bookstore is currently in construction across the street (a lady at the bookstore told me they're opening in October). In the Triangle complex, as Myuu said, MOCA is coming, as well as a couple bars and restaurants. Rumor has it that Panera has signed on, which is a blessing for all of us students without cars who have gotten tired of the same old thing. The Triangle is close to a lot of bars in general (Mi Pueblo, Euclid Tavern) and a TON of great food.

Falafel cafe is my favorite :) Sad Luchitas closed though...great authentic Mexican food.

First, you need to complete an undergraduate degree in pre-rocket sciences. If you can, try and volunteer at your local space museum, and I would suggest at least 50 hours of blowing stuff up-minimum. If you can shadow an astronaught, preferably above 10,000 ft ASL - great! Then you need to take the RSAT. Really there are only two sections, Physics, and your writing sample of course. Physics of course is scored in hexidecimal (not to brag, but I scored a 0xEF - not too shabby). And writing is greek letters (only got a gamma).

Sent from my SPH-M900 using Tapatalk
:laugh:

Last edited:
Anyone else a little confused about what their latest twitter post about the alternate list meant by not what the future holds?

Anyone else a little confused about what their latest twitter post about the alternate list meant by not what the future holds?

Omitted word, most likely.

"On the Alt List? That email we sent yesterday shook some people out. Not sure what the future holds though. The dust hasn't settled nationally."

Last edited:
The Triangle is a pretty good place to live. I've heard good thigns about both them and Waldorf. Of course, most people I know still live in campus housing lol. But the developments in front, while annoying, are going to be amazing. The new Case Barnes and Noble bookstore is currently in construction across the street (a lady at the bookstore told me they're opening in October). In the Triangle complex, as Myuu said, MOCA is coming, as well as a couple bars and restaurants. Rumor has it that Panera has signed on, which is a blessing for all of us students without cars who have gotten tired of the same old thing. The Triangle is close to a lot of bars in general (Mi Pueblo, Euclid Tavern) and a TON of great food.

Falafel cafe is my favorite :) Sad Luchitas closed though...great authentic Mexican food.

:laugh:

Confirmed! Panera, Jimmy John's, and Chipotle.

Confirmed! Panera, Jimmy John's, and Chipotle.

:wow: You mean no more long treks to Coventry?!?!?! Figures they would come my last year at Case. Better late than never though!

Btw, mind me asking what the email they sent out contained? Seemed pretty serious....

:wow: You mean no more long treks to Coventry?!?!?! Figures they would come my last year at Case. Better late than never though!

Btw, mind me asking what the email they sent out contained? Seemed pretty serious....

Oh, actually, I went down to the leasing office and asked.:)

Lol I meant the email that Case Med sent out that "shook those on the alternate list". My bad!

Ohhhh, that was the email asking if people on the alternate list were serious about staying there. I have not seen it myself.

Lol I meant the email that Case Med sent out that "shook those on the alternate list". My bad!

Not serious, pretty standard and politely asking to remove yourself from the list if you had already mentally made that decision. I think the twitter wording more or less meant it got some people to drop, not that it shocked them or anything. Like you would shake out a towel. All this waiting has me paying really close attention to twitter posts haha :)

Last edited:
Ohhhh, that was the email asking if people on the alternate list were serious about staying there. I have not seen it myself.

…just doing my non-periodic check of the forum…hmmm…does this suggest that those who did not get the e-mail sent yesterday about the alternate list…are lower down on the totem pole?

Thanks for the rocket scientist video! Loved it! I plan on 'using it' for my friend who is a brain surgeon! :laugh:

For those who like hearing trivial good news - down here, we are celebrating a nice beach weather + the end love bug season:thumbup: .

I had thought about it for a bit, and decided to withdraw from the alternate list. As much as I would love to go to Case, I was having difficulty justifying the $80k more it would cost me to go here. I figured it was best to make that decision now rather than waiting to see if they called me up from the alternate list. I'm still very sad to see it go. Best of luck to everyone waiting for a call! :luck:

Hey, maybe what they meant was "not sure what the future holds" because the "dust hasn't settled nationally" (or because some people are still deciding between Case and other schools). I feel like I'm reading tea leaves!

As I was saying, at this stage of the game we accept on an as-needed basis. Can't figure out what as-needed is until the dust from the national waitlist dance settles!

Ya that makes a lot of sense. The wait is definitely having me pay really close attention to things like that for the bigger meaning of it all haha.

I had thought about it for a bit, and decided to withdraw from the alternate list. As much as I would love to go to Case, I was having difficulty justifying the $80k more it would cost me to go here. I figured it was best to make that decision now rather than waiting to see if they called me up from the alternate list. I'm still very sad to see it go. Best of luck to everyone waiting for a call! :luck:

Been there, done that.;)

As I was saying, at this stage of the game we accept on an as-needed basis. Can't figure out what as-needed is until the dust from the national waitlist dance settles!

Didn't the dust settle on Monday?

Didn't the dust settle on Monday?

I think the dust was blown around on Monday and now is starting to settle. Meaning that all the withdraws happened by Monday and now people are being taken from waitlists and moving around. The big shifts in classes at each medical school are happening now.

I think the dust was blown around on Monday and now is starting to settle. Meaning that all the withdraws happened by Monday and now people are being taken from waitlists and moving around. The big shifts in classes at each medical school are happening now.

Does that mean Case is going to start playing their "waitlist game" a few weeks after everyone else? Interesting strategy...

And while I'm at it, congratulations to all the first years who've more or less finished block 4 today! Enjoy your summer!!!

aaA3

Congratulations to all the graduates yesterday! I heard it was a very nice cermony.

Does anyone have any recommendation between the 13" and 15" macbook? I'm definitely picking one of those but not sure which.
Sorry, no macbook recommendations, but the ceremonies were very nice. Both of them. :p

Just wanted to drop by to wish good luck to the incoming UP/CCLCM classes. You are in for a great time, and I would still choose Case again if I had it to do over.

I obviously don't have a med student's perspective on the issue, but as someone who has owned a 15" macbook for four years, I'm going to go with the 13" this time around. The bigger model was just a bit too big and unwieldly to carry around with me on a daily basis. The one plus is that the bigger screen is nice for watching movies, but you can easily hook your mac up to a tv and stream whatever. Go with the 13"!

I just got in and went with the 15" dell (I neither a PC nor a Mac person just a computer person and couldn't justify the extra money for a mac), plus I used a 15" in laptop in college and I am used to that size it can be a little unwieldy at times but i think the 13" is just too small of a screen.

I obviously don't have a med student's perspective on the issue, but as someone who has owned a 15" macbook for four years, I'm going to go with the 13" this time around. The bigger model was just a bit too big and unwieldly to carry around with me on a daily basis. The one plus is that the bigger screen is nice for watching movies, but you can easily hook your mac up to a tv and stream whatever. Go with the 13"!

As someone who has a home 13" and work 15" macbook, I can say that I MUCH prefer the 15". It really seems a lot larger, and I don't use it for movies or anything. To me the weight difference is negligible especially in a backpack. Bulk also doesn't matter in that case. To me, the negatives are far outweighed by the benefits, but your best bet is to check them out in person and play with the two for a bit. I find the biggest difference when you have a bunch of windows open and need to constantly switch between them, naturally, so try that out. Im just the type of person to feel way too cramped with a small screen, and think a larger one will help alleviate unnecessary studying stress. But that's just me.

As someone who has a home 13" and work 15" macbook, I can say that I MUCH prefer the 15". It really seems a lot larger, and I don't use it for movies or anything. To me the weight difference is negligible especially in a backpack. Bulk also doesn't matter in that case. To me, the negatives are far outweighed by the benefits, but your best bet is to check them out in person and play with the two for a bit. I find the biggest difference when you have a bunch of windows open and need to constantly switch between them, naturally, so try that out. Im just the type of person to feel way too cramped with a small screen, and think a larger one will help alleviate unnecessary studying stress. But that's just me.

I agree with Acoustic, I would go with the 15inch because it has more screen real estate. Having a 15inch with hi-resolution would be better for having a bunch of different documents and looking at detailed images. I am not sure if there is a hi-resolution option for the 13 inch, but if there is that could be a good solution to the problem of feeling cramped.

But in terms of power and speed, they are both plenty fast now and I wouldn't really say that should sway you either way. It all comes down to if you want the extra portability with the sacrifice of screen resolution and size.

To the current students:

I'm not a super experienced city driver, and I'm from CA so driving in snow scares me a bit. That being said, how easy is it to get the hang of driving in Cleveland?
Also, have you guys heard of anyone leasing a car rather than just purchasing a used one? I feel like it may be more expensive in the long run, but if anything happens to your car and you need to fix it, the leasing option lets you just get it fixed at the dealership....whereas fixing a used car may get to be pretty pricey. Any thoughts?

Status
Not open for further replies.