2010-2011 Case Western Reserve University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
aaaaaaaaaaaaand top!
in honor of this occasion and block 4 exams coming up, i present you with a diagram showing the progression of fetal heart development:

development.png

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
aaaaaaaaaaaaand top!
in honor of this occasion and block 4 exams coming up, i present you with a diagram showing the progression of fetal heart development:

Hehe! I like snails. Just not for eating.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey Rhesus! I know nothing about those companies, and very little about Cedar/Fairmount since I rarely go that way. FYI actually being out on Coventry is not quite close enough to be regularly walkable. It's not horrid, maybe 25 mins (wild estimate, never walked it), but in the winter it'd be beastly.
Not sure I mentioned it, but I asked my landlord about places. Neither he nor his partners have anything open right now. Sorry if I forgot to tell you. My head is in a fog of exams looming.

Yeah, I could tell that Coventry isn't walkable. It's a nice area though so it might be worth the drive, but I didn't really find anything I liked out there anyway. Thanks for asking your landlord about places (even though he didn't have any available)! And good luck with those exams :scared:

Chances of waitlist movement tomorrow? *fingers crossed*

I hope so... their twitter said something about a recruitment event at Cornell though, so maybe not tomorrow. Good luck everyone! :luck:

Hi I wan tto send a very short letter of interest to show them that I'm still itnerested in the school, should i email the admissions or should I email a specific dean?

I was thinking this as well, but I think that Acoustic is right. I figure they will probably be traveling home tomorrow. So maybe a few calls will go out Wednesday... ?

:xf::xf::xf:

To the others on the Alternate list: Good luck!

*And for some reason I could not quote Acoustic's post. Maybe something to do with it already having a quote?

I was thinking this as well, but I think that Acoustic is right. I figure they will probably be traveling home tomorrow. So maybe a few calls will go out Wednesday... ?

:xf::xf::xf:

To the others on the Alternate list: Good luck!

*And for some reason I could not quote Acoustic's post. Maybe something to do with it already having a quote?

Then again... I forgot that cell phones exist haha :laugh: .

Maybe something will happen today? Ahh who knows, this process is so unpredictable. :luck::luck:

I wonder what it means that I can quote you but you can't quote me.... this must be a sign!!!@!! haha It's good to take a minute to laugh every once in awhile.

Last edited:
Just got the call!! Good luck to everyone else still on it- sent update letter ~2 wks ago

Accepted off the alternate list for the UP this morning!!!

For what it's worth I sent them a brief letter about a month ago.

Good luck to the rest of you! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
For those who got in from waitlist...who did you guys get the call from, was it Christian?

Congrats to those that got in today! I can't wait to meet all of you in July. Good luck to those who are still waiting to hear back!

I signed a lease on my new apartment yesterday! I have my own big patio so I'm thinking I'll have to host at least one party before the summer is over. :D

Just got the call!! Good luck to everyone else still on it- sent update letter ~2 wks ago
Accepted off the alternate list for the UP this morning!!!

For what it's worth I sent them a brief letter about a month ago.

Good luck to the rest of you! :)
Congrats guys!! Time for me to open my bag of monkeys... :zip:
Congrats you guys!!

I hope they aren't finished!!
:luck::xf:
EEK!
Im getting worried too!
I keep willing my phone to ring but------:(

Do wait list acceptances occur in waves? Or is it usually one big load?
Oh, it's only just begun. There are waves, no worries :D:luck:

Congrats to those that got in today! I can't wait to meet all of you in July. Good luck to those who are still waiting to hear back!

I signed a lease on my new apartment yesterday! I have my own big patio so I'm thinking I'll have to host at least one party before the summer is over. :D
Congrats! You're officially a Clevelandian! Clevelander? Clever?

I almost forgot! A little fairy mentioned to me some important housing resources.

There is a 2015 Case Med Facebook group. That's how a lot of people found roomies and housing last year - there are lots of people looking for roommates, and also lots of questions going on about where to live. There's also a document about housing options.

Happy hunting!

Congrats guys!! Time for me to open my bag of monkeys... :zip:

Oh, it's only just begun. There are waves, no worries :D:luck:

I know you're not an official source or anything, but when should we expect the next wave? Few days? Few weeks? Thanks!

Thanks Auriga...
You made me breathe a sigh of relief :)
I have no acceptances and 3 waitlists, so this process is very stressful for me:scared:

Thanks Auriga...
You made me breathe a sigh of relief :)
I have no acceptances and 3 waitlists, so this process is very stressful for me:scared:

I am in a similar boat as you are coffeefloat. Only 1 official wait list and a couple of lingering "hold" statuses for me. I feel a bit better, but it is still VERY stressful.

Congrats to everyone who got in! My guess is that the next big batch will probably come several weeks after May 15th after they've sorted out who is withdrawing after being accepted off of other waitlists.

Case would be a dream school for me. I don't know how much more of this waiting I can take!

I almost forgot! A little fairy mentioned to me some important housing resources.

There is a 2015 Case Med Facebook group. That's how a lot of people found roomies and housing last year - there are lots of people looking for roommates, and also lots of questions going on about where to live. There's also a document about housing options.

Happy hunting!

It was thanks to this handy-dandy document that I found my apartment. Whoever put this together deserves to be sainted. :thumbup:

To any current students - what are the global health opportunities like, especially those available during the summer after M1? Language requirements? The Center for Global Health and Diseases website seems a bit outdated and disorganized - most of the postings are from 1999. Is it easy to get funding or does most of the cost come out of the student's pocket?

So does anyone know what the traffic rules are exactly, if we just got an acceptance and are waiting to hear back from financial aid? I have another school that has the May 15th deadline... Not sure what to do exactly.

I know you're not an official source or anything, but when should we expect the next wave? Few days? Few weeks? Thanks!

Waves during waitlist season don't work like they do during the regular admissions season. We take people off the waitlist when we have the spaces for them, so you're not going to see huge waves of acceptances like you would have earlier.

Good luck!:luck:

I love this school! But I may have to decline. With absolutely no financial aid help, I calculated the cost as the following -
Immediately after medical school, I will owe: $330,172
If I make no (or minimal) payments during a 4 year residency: $440,392
If I make no payments 6 years after residency (which is unlikely): $784,394

If I make $200,000 (which seems pretty generous) coming right out of residency and pay off my loans in 6 years (~$700k) - I will take home about $83k / year before taxes.

However, if I get taxed on that $200k /year at, let's say 30%, I'll bring home: $23k

That may not be survivable, so let me pay off the loan in 10 years. My take home salary will be: $70k during those 10 years. I could do that...but it sure would be nice if I didn't start off with so much debt.

I'm struggling to find scholarships and as much as I hate to turn CWRU down, I just got off the waitlist at a much cheaper school. Ack! Tough decision! If anyone has some good advice, or a helpful perspective, I'd love to hear it.

Christian mentioned that they did make a wave of acceptances. There's no way to know when they will send out more, that depends on what the students decide to do. Like Myuu said, it moves in smaller pieces, and then later, individually.

Don't forget that May 15 isn't the end of the process. You can hold only 1 acceptance, but you can be on any # of wait lists. So there may be accepted students holding onto the waitlist for a specific school. If they get in and go, a spot opens up.

I don't know how much of that happens - I know at least 10 of my classmates who were accepted in late May or in June (and I haven't talked to everyone, of course) - but that's something I quite understand last year. And was relieved to learn.

This is the updated "Moving to Cleveland Housing Guide" complete with functioning hyperlinks, courtesy of Christian.

By the way, you should definitely look forward to seeing how happy he and Dr. Mehta are when they see the new class in their shiny white coats at the ceremony! ^_^

Attachments

• Relocating to Cleveland.WITH hyperlinks.pdf
    249.5 KB · Views: 157
Here's a question for current Case students (I can't wait to call myself a Case student in 2 months!):

How would you rate owning a car in Cleveland on a scale that ranges from "a terrible idea" to "completely necessary"?

Thanks!

I love this school! But I may have to decline. With absolutely no financial aid help, I calculated the cost as the following -
Immediately after medical school, I will owe: $330,172
If I make no (or minimal) payments during a 4 year residency: $440,392
If I make no payments 6 years after residency (which is unlikely): $784,394

If I make $200,000 (which seems pretty generous) coming right out of residency and pay off my loans in 6 years (~$700k) - I will take home about $83k / year before taxes.

However, if I get taxed on that $200k /year at, let's say 30%, I'll bring home: $23k

That may not be survivable, so let me pay off the loan in 10 years. My take home salary will be: $70k during those 10 years. I could do that...but it sure would be nice if I didn't start off with so much debt.

I'm struggling to find scholarships and as much as I hate to turn CWRU down, I just got off the waitlist at a much cheaper school. Ack! Tough decision! If anyone has some good advice, or a helpful perspective, I'd love to hear it.

It won't be that bad! If you pay off in 10 or 15 years (more reasonable anyway) and also account for inflation it won't be so hard. You won't be living like a rockstar but that's the price you pay for going somewhere you really want to be. You should be making your decision based on curriculum and opportunities, not necessarily financials. Your family may be willing to help, especially since they will be so proud of you :)

I was accepted at four schools where I could get in-state residency after the first year and get a much cheaper education. I withdrew from them even before financial aid letters went out because I knew Case's curriculum was the best for me, by far. Money isn't everything. You should be proud to attend your medical school... not settling because you're afraid.

I have to agree with ktfh about choosing a school. I was accepted to multiple in-state schools in Ohio but turned everyone of them down to go to Case. You really have to ask yourself "Where do I want to be and where will I be happiest for the next four years?" The sticker shock of Case certainly makes you pause but just remember that you'll be a doctor making a decent living and you'll be able to pay it all back with time to do whatever else you want. From personal experience, I turned down my dream school to go to a cheaper school for undergrad. I'll never truly regret that decision since I met wife there but I sometimes do think what if...

Here's a question for current Case students (I can't wait to call myself a Case student in 2 months!):

How would you rate owning a car in Cleveland on a scale that ranges from "a terrible idea" to "completely necessary"?

Thanks!

It's almost completely fine to go without the car depending on where you live the first two years, but it could potentially be a huge problem third and fourth years. They've told us to stop telling you you can get away without a car, actually.:laugh: This is largely because there are a lot of clinical experiences the first two years that you may need to drive to and only a handful of those are at UH for those who don't have vehicles and can't reasonably carpool.

It's almost completely fine to go without the car depending on where you live the first two years, but it could potentially be a huge problem third and fourth years. They've told us to stop telling you you can get away without a car, actually.:laugh: This is largely because there are a lot of clinical experiences the first two years that you may need to drive to and only a handful of those are at UH for those who don't have vehicles and can't reasonably carpool.

CCLCM requires you to have a car because almost immediately you will be in longitudinal clinic, most likely away from te main campus. Both of my assignments have been 45 to 50 mins away from main campus

Sent from my SPH-M900 using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey All!

Congrats on choosing Case! It's such an amazing school. I'm in a combined undergrad/grad program there, and I love it. I'll actually be one of the students teaching you guys for your population health block in the summer. Can't wait to meet you all then!

Oh and feel free to ask me any questions whatsoever about campus!

Hey All!

Congrats on choosing Case! It's such an amazing school. I'm in a combined undergrad/grad program there, and I love it. I'll actually be one of the students teaching you guys for your population health block in the summer. Can't wait to meet you all then!

Oh and feel free to ask me any questions whatsoever about campus!

Thanks for joining our thread! You've probably been here longer than I have, so maybe you can explain Cleveland Heights. Because I sure can't.:smuggrin:

Thanks for joining our thread! You've probably been here longer than I have, so maybe you can explain Cleveland Heights. Because I sure can't.:smuggrin:

Bahah I wish I could. I don't know if anyone, except those people that have lived there for their whole lives, could explain CH. It remains a mystery :confused:

Hi everyone! I just finalized my decision and I'm coming to Case! YAYAYAY!

This is for current students:
Do you guys really spend as much as the sticker price for case is per year (about $74562), or more or less? this is including housing, utlities, food, tuition does it really come out to that much?

ahem....

I hereby dedicate my 1000th POST to the CWRU Application Thread and everyone in it. You guys have been so helpful throughout this whole application process! Yay!

I got the call! I can't believe it--- I do think I sounded like an idiot on the phone....:D

ahem....

I hereby dedicate my 1000th POST to the CWRU Application Thread and everyone in it. You guys have been so helpful throughout this whole application process! Yay!
hahaha you've far outdone me by getting 1000 posts! Ambitious youth :laugh:

I just wanted to ask current students a couple of questions:

1) Do students there really end up spending at the projected expenses put up by Case which comes to about $74,562? (this is including housing, tuition and everything else) Or is it lower?

2) the match list for Case is amazing! I am just wondering whether that includes students in the College and UP program. what are the match differences between students in the college and up program?

Status
Not open for further replies.