* * 2010 - 2011 Application Season * * Post AACOMAS Questions Here !!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I took a 4 semester hour class at University A.

I am trying to retake this course at UCLA. UCLA is on a quarter system. Now, from this site, I see that the course at UCLA is 4.0 "Course Units" : http://www.registrar.ucla.edu/sched...msel=101&subareasel=AN+N+EA&idxcrs=0103A+M+6A

Are those "Course Units" the same thing as a semester hour?

UCLA is quarters. You won't be able to replace the grade of the original course. I'd suggest finding a 4 unit course at a CC instead to replace it.

Members don't see this ad.

UCLA is quarters. You won't be able to replace the grade of the original course. I'd suggest finding a 4 unit course at a CC instead to replace it.

Thanks and thanks to Isoprop too.

But, I can't take the course at a CC. I've been looking for this course for half a year now and haven't found any college with one (this summer...I don't want to wait until for Fall Semester course. That will end way too late in the application cycle). My school isn't offering the same course ever again...my school has an art history course every semester, but the topic changes every time...they won't ever be doing Ancient Egypt again like they did two years ago when I took this class.

Any suggestions as to how to better search for an Art History - Ancient Egypt course? (Previously, I've gone to the website of local community colleges, huge universities (Ohio State, UCLA, Penn State, etc), and have googled "Ancient Egypt Art courses" and things like that)

Last edited:
Also, do you think AACOMAS is lenient enough to understand my unique situation and let me slide and let me take the course at UCLA for a replacement?

The situation is unique, because my school is not offering the same course ever again.

Members don't see this ad :)
I had a similar problem with cell bio. I couldn't find the same course at the time I wanted to, so I called Western to ask what I should do if I couldn't find the exact course but have a similar one... They said they would average the grades if they thought the repeat was suitable, but this was only for Western.

Can't you take African Art History or something along those lines? Since it's an art class maybe it wouldn't be that big of a deal? I know CSUN offers a lot of Art classes if you're in the socal area and they run on the semester system.

Go ahead and ask, but I wouldn't count on it. After all, they are already being lenient by letting you replace classes at all.

I had a similar problem with cell bio. I couldn't find the same course at the time I wanted to, so I called Western to ask what I should do if I couldn't find the exact course but have a similar one... They said they would average the grades if they thought the repeat was suitable, but this was only for Western.

Can't you take African Art History or something along those lines? Since it's an art class maybe it wouldn't be that big of a deal? I know CSUN offers a lot of Art classes if you're in the socal area and they run on the semester system.

Oh true.

Maybe I could take African Art History, as long as it mentions Ancient Egypt in the course description perhaps. But, even that is pretty hard to find at any university in the country, especially in the summer.

For the work experience section, is it asking for our position title or the employers position title? Just wanted to make sure. Thanks.

For the work experience section, is it asking for our position title or the employers position title? Just wanted to make sure. Thanks.

they are asking for What was your position called.

example: Name of Employer: Los Angeles Lakers

Position Title: Starting Shooting Guard

Description: Drafted in 1996, 13th overall. Won 3 NBA championships from 2000,01,02. Result:Started thinking I am on pace to be the greatest ever

-Got into ego fights with teammate. Result: We got our butt kicked by pistons in 04.

- Epiphany: I need better players around me to win championships

- 2008-Got pau gasol. Lost to celtics. Result: I need to become a team player.

09,10 champions. Result: 2 finals MVP's

Lessons learnt from this job: Trust you teammates KOBE!!

SOrry for a stupid example but as you can tell i am happy for my lakers!!

But i think i answered your query

Last edited:
^Thanks a lot. What do you list a publication under?

^Thanks a lot. What do you list a publication under?

sorry i didn't have a publication. BUt i think you could put it under Extracurriculars as well. you could group all your pubs together as one EC and list it individually in the description box

^ ok sounds good. I put it under work exp. but will change it to ec.
Another question, do the total weekly hours have to match the total hours?

^ ok sounds good. I put it under work exp. but will change it to ec.
Another question, do the total weekly hours have to match the total hours?

well what i did for my weekly hours was called my hospital ppl (where i work) and asked them how many hours have i worked since i joined them. they told me this many hours. I took that number and divided by the number of weeks. this brought my weekly hours to about 19.7 ish. I rounded it up to 20 and put that into my app. Where i worked before the hospital, i couldn't find my total hours. But i worked there for 5 years consistently 20 hours (the minimum i had to work as a manager) during school and full time during the spring summer. So that i figured to be around 25ish per week.

hope you can find some simplistic way to do yours

Where is the right place to put a publication on the primary D.O application?

Awards, Honors, Scholarships or Extracurricular, Volunteer and Community Service?

Members don't see this ad :)
where is the right place to put a publication on the primary d.o application?

Awards, honors, scholarships or extracurricular, volunteer and community service?

ec...

Ugh...I just got an "Undelivered" email from AACOMAS because my repeats weren't numerically ordered :annoyed:

For anyone still repeating classes, did you indicate these courses as Planned/In Progress? I didn't put down the classes I had to repeat under that because I don't know which school will offer them and during what semester/quarter.

I was under the impression I could just take them and then update AACOMAS with the transcript, I guess I was wrong? So not cool that it's going to take me longer to get verified.

they are asking for What was your position called.

example: Name of Employer: Los Angeles Lakers

Position Title: Starting Shooting Guard

Description: Drafted in 1996, 13th overall. Won 3 NBA championships from 2000,01,02. Result:Started thinking I am on pace to be the greatest ever

-Got into ego fights with teammate. Result: We got our butt kicked by pistons in 04.

- Epiphany: I need better players around me to win championships

- 2008-Got pau gasol. Lost to celtics. Result: I need to become a team player.

09,10 champions. Result: 2 finals MVP's

Lessons learnt from this job: Trust you teammates KOBE!!

SOrry for a stupid example but as you can tell i am happy for my lakers!!

But i think i answered your query

hahaha :thumbup:

Ugh...I just got an "Undelivered" email from AACOMAS because my repeats weren't numerically ordered :annoyed:

For anyone still repeating classes, did you indicate these courses as Planned/In Progress? I didn't put down the classes I had to repeat under that because I don't know which school will offer them and during what semester/quarter.

I was under the impression I could just take them and then update AACOMAS with the transcript, I guess I was wrong? So not cool that it's going to take me longer to get verified.

By numerically ordering do you mean that if you did one course and then repeat it you choose 'repeat 1' for the original and then 'last repeat 1' for the same repeated class and so on?

By numerically ordering do you mean that if you did one course and then repeat it you choose 'repeat 1' for the original and then 'last repeat 1' for the same repeated class and so on?

I actually did that part right, l changed it for each like R02--->L02, R03-->L03 etc etc. I did miss label towards the end went from R03 to R05 without R04. I fixed that part which I thought was the problem but they told me I didn't have repeats for two of my classes.

I technically don't know where I'm going to take them until the schedules come out. So I left them as R04 and R05, but I think they want a school down indicating I'm going to take it there, I emailed them so I'll see what they say.

I actually did that part right, l changed it for each like R02--->L02, R03-->L03 etc etc. I did miss label towards the end went from R03 to R05 without R04. I fixed that part which I thought was the problem but they told me I didn't have repeats for two of my classes.

I technically don't know where I'm going to take them until the schedules come out. So I left them as R04 and R05, but I think they want a school down indicating I'm going to take it there, I emailed them so I'll see what they say.

oh i see. I always thought you couldn't list a class as repeat in the planned section, unless you already enrolled into it. Am i missing something here?

There is no asterisk near the total number of hours and average hours per week for the activities on the AACOMAS

i was wondering what is the right way to go about it? give both? or its okay to give one? what do most people do?

oh i see. I always thought you couldn't list a class as repeat in the planned section, unless you already enrolled into it. Am i missing something here?

Yeah that's what I thought too! Well I sent them an email, I'll let you know what they say.

Last edited:

You can't put the R## without a course that is replacing it. When you put the R categorization it removes that course from your calculated GPA. Put it in as RNY (repeat not yet completed) or leave it as is. When you retake the course update them. Its going to lower your GPA but it will get you verified.

You can't put the R## without a course that is replacing it. When you put the R categorization it removes that course from your calculated GPA. Put it in as RNY (repeat not yet completed) or leave it as is. When you retake the course update them. Its going to lower your GPA but it will get you verified.

I only put the R## for the courses I had already repeated. The ones I didn't were left as R04 and R05 (they didn't like the RNY I had before don't know why) Oh well...

Btw how long did it take for them to verify you after the undelivered email?

EDIT: Ok now I get what you mean...Wow so I can't leave them as R05 and R04 because I haven't retaken them yet. That took me long enough to understand :( Thanks!

Last edited:
another small question but i just want to make sure im doing this right.. when putting in the "prefix and course number" for the course work.. does the prefix just mean "BIO" or "Soc"

another small question but i just want to make sure im doing this right.. when putting in the "prefix and course number" for the course work.. does the prefix just mean "BIO" or "Soc"

Yes, that's correct.

I only put the R## for the courses I had already repeated. The ones I didn't were left as R04 and R05 (they didn't like the RNY I had before don't know why) Oh well...

Btw how long did it take for them to verify you after the undelivered email?

Thats what I'm saying you cant do. By leaving them as R## they remove the course from your GPA calculation. Unfortunately, you are going to have to put them just as normal courses until you are done with a retake, then contact them and get it changed when yous end a new transcript in. It took them ~2 days to verify me, they had already checked 2/3 transcripts though. I"m surprised that they undelivered you for that and didn't just change them and verify you.

Thats what I'm saying you cant do. By leaving them as R## they remove the course from your GPA calculation. Unfortunately, you are going to have to put them just as normal courses until you are done with a retake, then contact them and get it changed when yous end a new transcript in. It took them ~2 days to verify me, they had already checked 2/3 transcripts though. I"m surprised that they undelivered you for that and didn't just change them and verify you.

Yeah, just edited my last post. I don't know why I did that, I saw that on the instructions and they emailed me 2x about it and I still got it wrong...lame on my part

Thanks for the clarification!

Quick question,

I submitted my app for verification and it got verified and sent. I just recently got my MCAT score and now its uploaded onto AACOMAS. On the PDF files that get sent to the school it doenst show the MCAT scores on there because they were released before the MCAT scores were updated.

Are the schools I submitted the application too going to get an updated application that includes my mcat scores? Or do I have to update them myself?

Thanks!

Dear AACOMAS,

I highly dislike you right now. I clearly have 20 credits of excellent grades in my graduate program and you listed my gGPA as a 0.00. Boo.

-----

I called and I guess they fixed it but I won't be re-released until Tuesday.... not cool. :(

There is no asterisk near the total number of hours and average hours per week for the activities on the AACOMAS

i was wondering what is the right way to go about it? give both? or its okay to give one? what do most people do?

This was weird for me too.

I volunteered at a hospital sporadically. Each time I went, I spent about 5 hours there. But, some weeks I didn't go. I didn't know what to do. I just took the total hours and divided it by the total time. This ended up being about 3 hours a week, though I never once went to the hospital and only volunteered for 3 hours.

Dear AACOMAS,

I highly dislike you right now. I clearly have 20 credits of excellent grades in my graduate program and you listed my gGPA as a 0.00. Boo.

-----

I called and I guess they fixed it but I won't be re-released until Tuesday.... not cool. :(

I'm going to guess thats part of the reason RVUCOM said you didn't meet requirements (that was you right? lol) You should probably call them and inform them of the mistake on AACOMAS's part and ask to be reconsidered. I'd also call and inform each of the schools you applied to just to be safe. I'm always skeptical of how often they actually re-download updated applications and something like that is major.

EDIT: My internet is super screwed up at my cottage, sorry for the double post :D

Last edited:
I'm going to guess thats part of the reason RVUCOM said you didn't meet requirements (that was you right? lol) You should probably call them and inform them of the mistake on AACOMAS's part and ask to be reconsidered. I'd also call and inform each of the schools you applied to just to be safe. I'm always skeptical of how often they actually re-download updated applications and something like that is major.

Thanks for the advice, yeah I'm going to do that after it gets re-released to make sure. RVUCOM actually emailed me back and said that it was because my MCAT scores had not been released to AACOMAS, which can't be the reason because I sent them to AACOMAS back in early May and they show up on every one of the application .pdf files I downloaded by clicking on the release date next to the schools. Super-worried right now.

Thanks for the advice, yeah I'm going to do that after it gets re-released to make sure. RVUCOM actually emailed me back and said that it was because my MCAT scores had not been released to AACOMAS, which can't be the reason because I sent them to AACOMAS back in early May and they show up on every one of the application .pdf files I downloaded by clicking on the release date next to the schools. Super-worried right now.

Very strange. Does the MCAT list as "Official MCAT" on the PDFs? I'd call the school and speak with them directly if you could. E-mail tends to take too much time for my liking. Good luck though, I don't see why any school would screen you pre-secondary like that.

I can submit some secondaries real soon. Do you think admissions offices work on weekends? If not, I guess it makes no difference if I submit now...or wait until Monday to send the secondaries in (which will allow for more time to proofread and make sure the essays are perfect).

I can submit some secondaries real soon. Do you think admissions offices work on weekends? If not, I guess it makes no difference if I submit now...or wait until Monday to send the secondaries in (which will allow for more time to proofread and make sure the essays are perfect).

Admissions offices are open Monday-Friday but I'd assume they still review secondaries in the order they are completed. If you are comfortable with your essays I'd say go for it and submit them.

Very strange. Does the MCAT list as "Official MCAT" on the PDFs? I'd call the school and speak with them directly if you could. E-mail tends to take too much time for my liking. Good luck though, I don't see why any school would screen you pre-secondary like that.

Happened to me too!

I've been talking to them and they said there has been a miscommunication with AACOMAS and RVU. They will be sending out secondary invites soon. They also apologized for any stress they may have caused :D

Sent my transcript in to them almost 3 weeks ago, and they still haven't acknowledged receiving it. Should I just submit my application anyway?

Question: For schools that haven't sent me a secondary yet, what should I say to them when I call about this? I'm assuming it's probably that they haven't downloaded my AACOMAS app at all yet and that's why I haven't gotten a secondary, right? Therefore, it wouldn't matter if my gGPA was screwed up until Tuesday (that's when AACOMAS says they will re-release my application)?

Question: For schools that haven't sent me a secondary yet, what should I say to them when I call about this? I'm assuming it's probably that they haven't downloaded my AACOMAS app at all yet and that's why I haven't gotten a secondary, right? Therefore, it wouldn't matter if my gGPA was screwed up until Tuesday (that's when AACOMAS says they will re-release my application)?

Not all of the schools have even sent 2ndaries yet, so it's a bit premature to start calling imo. I would only start worrying if you start hearing that others have received them and you still haven't.

I've only gotten 2 out of 5 so far, but it doesn't sound like anyone has gotten them from the last 3 either. If people start posting about them and I still haven't gotten them, then I'll start worrying.

If your schools have already sent 2ndaries, and you think the problem is the gpa screwup, I'd still give aacomas a chance to fix the problem before calling. So maybe late this week or early next week?

Good luck :luck: I hope they fix your app.

Do we list courses in the order they are listed on the transcript? I'm trying to do that but AACOMAS reorganizes the order of my classes for each quarter. Thanks!

Do we list courses in the order they are listed on the transcript? I'm trying to do that but AACOMAS reorganizes the order of my classes for each quarter. Thanks!

If they are re-ordering them, then I wouldn't worry about it

I think I did put them in the order they were on the transcript, but I didn't bother to check if they changed the order. It's probably not a big deal as long as you aren't entering them in randomly - for example, a few Fr classes, then some jr's, then maybe some more Fr - you get the idea.

If a course had lecture and lab, do we need to mention it if it's not mentioned in the course name? My bio class is named "Cells, Tissues, and Organs" and it had a lab component. Do we list it as "Cells, Tissues, and Organs and Lab" (like how we are supposed to for AMCAS)?
Thanks!

Where do I put research lab experience? I earned college credit for them so they aren't really ECs but I wasn't paid either... so not really work.

Last edited:
Hi,

Do I have to wait until my summer course grades are posted to submit my application? Or can I get verified first and then send in my transcripts at the end of the summer? I have some in-progress coursework for which I have not yet gotten my grade posted but I'd like to submit my application. Anyone have any ideas?

Thanks!
Tarun

Is it fast to add more schools once our primary is verified? I made the mistake of adding all my schools in the first go for AMCAS and didn't want to make the same mistake for AACOMAS just in case something unexpected came up. As I understand it, we can just list one school in order to submit and wait for verification, and can add more schools after, correct? Does anyone know how long the process is to add additional schools once we are verified - is there another time lag?

Thanks!

As you add schools or make any changes, the updated/new applications don't go out until every Tuesday. So if you add schools Wednesday, you have to wait for them to get your application by the next Tuesday. But it will say "Submitted to AACOMAS" still for a few days after that, but they send out apps every Tues