* * 2010 - 2011 Application Season * * Post AACOMAS Questions Here !!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Anybody (5/21 or 5/22ers) send their MCAT scores recently and have your PDF's updated yet?

They got my official scores last Wednesday but my PDF's haven't changed to show them, even though they changed to say that I wasn't retaking the MCAT. I don't want to wait another week before they get sent out if they don't update them by mistake. The help people are no help...they just say that the apps will be sent Tuesday...not when my PDFs will be updated.

Members don't see this ad.

Ugh, I just have to say, the custom reps. at AACOMAS are HORRID.

AMCAS >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> AACOMAS.

AMCAS

The whole AACOMAS experience is just horrible. I can't wait to never have to deal with them again, and just move on to secondaries lol.

Good luck to everyone!

I just finished enetering activities on AACOMAS. I have couple of questions:

1) when I go to pdf file of my app, it doesn't show descriptions, only titles and name of organization?

2) It seems to randomly arrange my ECs...not like AMCAS where they are arranged by date/chronological order? Looks confusing.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you just finished entering everything, there shouldn't be a pdf yet. You can't see that until a few days after it's been released to schools.

I just checked one of my pdf's and my EC's did have the descriptions and seemed to be arranged in reverse chronological order.

Oh, I just looked around a little more. I think you are looking at the application summary. Mine also doesn't have any EC descriptions and they are in a random order. But since my pdfs that were released to the schools are fine, I wouldn't worry about it at this point.

Yeah I meant the summary pdf. I haven't submitted my app to AACOMAS yet. I will do that in next 3-4 days.

so once app is sent to school, it has a different view?

Yeah I meant the summary pdf. I haven't submitted my app to AACOMAS yet. I will do that in next 3-4 days.

so once app is sent to school, it has a different view?

Yes, the pdfs released to schools will look a lot more organized and include a GPA table (sci, non sci, cum) divided up by year, a separate section that shows only pre-reqs, a full description of ECs, and some other things that don't show up in the summary.

Even after you submit, if you click on application summary, it's still messy.

Quick question about future/planned courses.

Let's say I wish to take a class in the future that I did not indicate on AACOMAS. Is it a big deal if it's not on there? If it's anything like AMCAS, then they won't care because AMCAS doesn't verify or care about future courses.

But let's say I plan to take some upper division biology courses (all my pre-req's are finished, I just want to take some anyway), but I did not list them as planned/future courses on AACOMAS) -- is that okay?

Thanks guys.

Let's say I wish to take a class in the future that I did not indicate on AACOMAS. Is it a big deal if it's not on there? If it's anything like AMCAS, then they won't care because AMCAS doesn't verify or care about future courses.

But let's say I plan to take some upper division biology courses (all my pre-req's are finished, I just want to take some anyway), but I did not list them as planned/future courses on AACOMAS) -- is that okay?

Thanks guys.
I would think it was fine. As far as planned courses go, all you can do is list what you are planning at the time. Plans can change, and you can explain the difference at interviews if asked. The only problem would be if you had a planned prereq and didn't take it, but adding a course shouldn't be a problem.

Thanks guys.

As seap3 (does that SN have to do with Chris Paul by the way?) said above , it's not a big deal.

I had a future course that I listed on my app back on June 1st. I decided not to take it for various reasons, and now I am taking this other course. I called them and told them. They made the necessary adjustments to the "Colleges and Coursework" (or whatever its called) section in literally a minute.

seap and DrDre, thanks guys, I appreciate your help :)

Can MD shadowing be included in AACOMAS?
I have some DO shadowing with a family doctor, but I have extensive shadowing with MD family doctor.

Should I list both of them together?

Yes, MD shadowing can be included in AACOMAS. I never even questioned it.

I listed all my shadowing experiences in one of the boxes. I put:

Title: Shadowing
Organization: Dr. X, DO Dr. Y, MD Dr. Z, MD
Description box: I wrote little descriptions about my experience with each of the doctors
Total hours: 40
Average hours per week: (I left this blank, because it made no sense to average out 40 hours over the course of 2 years aka 104 weeks...is this what everyone does as well when it makes no sense to average out the hours?)

Yes, MD shadowing can be included in AACOMAS. I never even questioned it.

I listed all my shadowing experiences in one of the boxes. I put:

Title: Shadowing
Organization: Dr. X, DO Dr. Y, MD Dr. Z, MD
Description box: I wrote little descriptions about my experience with each of the doctors
Total hours: 40
Average hours per week: (I left this blank, because it made no sense to average out 40 hours over the course of 2 years aka 104 weeks...is this what everyone does as well when it makes no sense to average out the hours?)

I did the same thing man, just included total hours, I don't think its realistic to put avg. weekly hours for something like that... i only put down avg. weekly hours for full time jobs i had, etc.

That's interesting, I didn't even put MD or DO with my shadowing experience, just "Dr. John Smith" You think I should go back and change it really quick and put the MD in there?

Members don't see this ad :)
I did the same thing man, just included total hours, I don't think its realistic to put avg. weekly hours for something like that... i only put down avg. weekly hours for full time jobs i had, etc.

That's interesting, I didn't even put MD or DO with my shadowing experience, just "Dr. John Smith" You think I should go back and change it really quick and put the MD in there?

Nah, I don't think it's a big deal. Now, if you have other stuff to add to your app as well (like you've done 30 hours volunteering since you submitted June 1st or whenever), then I would make sure to put the MD in there when you update your other stuff.

submitted 6/20 ..transcripts sent 6/21 ...status still says transcript not received ! ahhh

submitted 6/20 ..transcripts sent 6/21 ...status still says transcript not received ! ahhh

pretty standard. Check interfolio, it will tell you when its been received.

Are we required to open up an interfolio account to check in on our transcripts? I only thought this was for letters of rec. I have not submitted my app yet, but have ordered my transcripts to be send to AACOMAS and TMDSAS, should I open up an interfolio account asap to make sure its been received or can I just check my aacomas and tmdsas account? Brand new to this process, still learning :)

I'm sorry if this has been asked before, but does anyone know what happens if we make a mistake in entering GPAs or credit hours? Will AAMCOMAS just correct the mistake when they verify or...??

Are we required to open up an interfolio account to check in on our transcripts? I only thought this was for letters of rec. I have not submitted my app yet, but have ordered my transcripts to be send to AACOMAS and TMDSAS, should I open up an interfolio account asap to make sure its been received or can I just check my aacomas and tmdsas account? Brand new to this process, still learning :)

I don't think you have to unless you were planning on using Interfolio for your LORs. AACOMAS will update you when they have them. Interfolio received my transcripts the day before AACOMAS said they received them so I don't think it should take too long. :luck:

Edit:

Wait..actually since AACOMAS and Interfolio are the same is your login also the same? Because then technically you could just try to login into Interfolio and see what it says? If not then you can ignore what I just said lol

Last edited:
Yea, I am actually planning on using interfolio for my letters but I haven't got that far in my application yet, so i haven't opened up an account....and so I sent my transcripts directly to AACOMAS and TMDSAS for now. Will there be a mix-up? I don't know if they are the same :( Are they?

I don't think you have to unless you were planning on using Interfolio for your LORs. AACOMAS will update you when they have them. Interfolio received my transcripts the day before AACOMAS said they received them so I don't think it should take too long. :luck:

Edit:

Wait..actually since AACOMAS and Interfolio are the same is your login also the same? Because then technically you could just try to login into Interfolio and see what it says? If not then you can ignore what I just said lol

I'm sorry if this has been asked before, but does anyone know what happens if we make a mistake in entering GPAs or credit hours? Will AAMCOMAS just correct the mistake when they verify or...??

My app was "undelivered" because I didn't number my repeats in order. Like went from R03-->R05, without R04. I thought they would fix it and then verify me but they told me to fix it and send it in again, stupid mistakes. I feel like they might do that with the credit hours thing. Did you enter your GPA anywhere? I think they will take care of that after verifying everything. But I would ask them about the credit hours so they don't send your app back.

Yea, I am actually planning on using interfolio for my letters but I haven't got that far in my application yet, so i haven't opened up an account....and so I sent my transcripts directly to AACOMAS and TMDSAS for now. Will there be a mix-up? I don't know if they are the same :( Are they?

I don't think there will be a mix-up as long as you sent your transcripts directly to AACOMAS and TMDSAS you should be fine. They got mine a week after sending them in (from CA), if it's takes longer I would call and ask.

I'm pretty sure Interfolio runs AACOMAS (someone correct me if I'm wrong here). But yeah when you make your account with Interfolio you will see the transcript requests there, and it will say whether it has been received or not. Just don't send your transcripts through Interfolio because then they are unofficial. Hope that helps!

Uh oh...

I was just looking at registering for a CC come fall and found out that apparently I got 2 units of 4.0 work at my local CC while I was in HS because of football. Should I submit this to AACOMAS? lol

How would i even go about adding a new school and 2 new courses. bleh, I'd also have to wait 2 weeks for the transcript to get there/be verified but it does bring my cGPA from 2.87 to 2.89 lol

Uh oh...

I was just looking at registering for a CC come fall and found out that apparently I got 2 units of 4.0 work at my local CC while I was in HS because of football. Should I submit this to AACOMAS? lol

How would i even go about adding a new school and 2 new courses. bleh, I'd also have to wait 2 weeks for the transcript to get there/be verified but it does bring my cGPA from 2.87 to 2.89 lol

Lol, well technically it's all college coursework right?

Lol, well technically it's all college coursework right?

lol technically but its also a huge headache. I just don't want them to turn around and say I neglected to include this and then steal away an acceptance lol

lol technically but its also a huge headache. I just don't want them to turn around and say I neglected to include this and then steal away an acceptance lol

I hope it all turns out for the best dude. :thumbup:

I would call AACOMAS right away and explain what happened, then I'd get that transcript in asap.

I think it's an understandable mistake. After all, who would try to hide their 4.0 coursework on purpose?

It's an honest mistake man.
Make the addition and pay for the transcript to be send in by the next day. Believe it or not, from a .02 could make a difference, you never kno

Then again, if its two measely courses, and there are no mention of them anywhere, then don't even bother... but to be safe, and to do it right, just do it. Let us know how it turns out.

It's an honest mistake man.
Make the addition and pay for the transcript to be send in by the next day. Believe it or not, from a .02 could make a difference, you never kno

Then again, if its two measely courses, and there are no mention of them anywhere, then don't even bother... but to be safe, and to do it right, just do it. Let us know how it turns out.

I'm going to call AACOMAS tomorrow and have them add it. Its only 2 units but whatever, I'm also verified and released to schools already so it'll be sent as an update rather than delaying my applications any (I hope). I'm sure as hell not paying to overnight it though, it cost me almost 50 bucks last time I did that.

I'll keep you all posted on how it turns out.

im retaking my mcat july 16 . so scores will be out august 16. how exactly do I update aacomas with my new score? Is it automatically sent to them?

You have to send it to them via the THx system. Did you do it with your first scores? If so it would be done the same way. The same place you login to view your scores, there are 4 links at the bottom and one says 'Send all of my scores to medical schools and other programs I designate.' There select AACOMAS.

It's been about a month since I sent them in...It's received transcripts and posted them from other schools I attended (even though I sent those transcripts out weeks later). I called them and asked a while ago, and they said they've received my transcript but just haven't posted it to my profile yet.

How long can I expect to wait...? Or can I just submit my application now, which'll force them to post my transcript?

Huh?

So they verbally said they recieved it, but don't have the green check mark next to Transcripts on your AACOMAS application online?

Might as well just submit it.

Yeah, they said they've received it, but it hasn't been posted to my file.

Cool, then go ahead and Submit.

It's been about a month since I sent them in...It's received transcripts and posted them from other schools I attended (even though I sent those transcripts out weeks later). I called them and asked a while ago, and they said they've received my transcript but just haven't posted it to my profile yet.

How long can I expect to wait...? Or can I just submit my application now, which'll force them to post my transcript?

For me transcripts were sent out last week and Interfolio and AACOMAS has mine already. Just submit.

I took an EMT certification class at the same university I did my undergrad in. I earned my bachelors degree from the "college of arts and sciences" but the EMT certification was part of "college of professional studies". I'm wondering how to put this in coursework. I guess I did this when I was a junior, so is that the "academic status" I should put down? Also does the grade for that class then get factored into your whole GPA? Because they seem separate but I did in fact receive a grade from it. Finally, do I need to send a transcript for this class even though it was technically a Certification class?

Thanks for any help!

Ugh, I just have to say, the custom reps. at AACOMAS are HORRID.

AMCAS >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> AACOMAS.

AMCAS

The whole AACOMAS experience is just horrible. I can't wait to never have to deal with them again, and just move on to secondaries lol.

Good luck to everyone!

I came in here to post about my troubles with AACOMAS as well

I had my third and final transcript sent out with priority shipping on 6/11. They still have not posted it as received on my application. I tried calling multiple times during their business hours last week, and I ended up getting a message saying they're closed. I finally got through on the 25th, and they said they have my transcript and will post it up soon. It's now the 2nd of July, a month after submitting my primary, and my transcript is still not up. They will not reply to my email, or pick up the phone during their business hours...again :mad:

edit: Just got through on the phone, but instead of letting me wait to speak with a customer representative, they immediately sent me to the voicemail

All right. Also, Interfolio doesn't acknowledge receiving either of them...Even though AACOMAS acknowledged receiving one of them 2-3 weeks ago...

Hey guys ~ I already submitted my application, but have recently decided to retake the MCAT. How should I make aacomas aware of these changes? Also, will schools wait til my 2nd MCAT score comes in to look at my app, or will they consider me with my first score if it meets their standards?

Thanks!

You send it from the MCAT THx site. There is a place in the list of institutions to send it to that has AACOMAS on there.

email customer suppport and get the fact that they have your transcript in writing and ask why it is not on your application as being received as of yet.

this happened to me and a transcript sat in my file for 3 wks before i emailed them and then magically 2 days later it was received :rolleyes:

email customer suppport and get the fact that they have your transcript in writing and ask why it is not on your application as being received as of yet.

this happened to me and a transcript sat in my file for 3 wks before i emailed them and then magically 2 days later it was received :rolleyes:
I have! Twice...Both of them said it'll be added soon, and that it hasn't yet because of a large volume of mail. Which is ridiculous. I sent other transcripts weeks later and they added those literally 2 days after I shipped them out.

If I remember correctly, you can't update your application until it's been verified by AACOMAS. If you really don't think your score will get you much of a look at schools, my best suggestion would be to e-mail the adcoms at each of your schools right when you get verified to let them know of the upcoming retake that you just recently decided on. They'll usually put a note in with your file so the adcom won't immediately rule you out. If you want more advice, I'd be able to advise you a little more via a PM with more details on your application. Let me know :)

Can MD shadowing be included in AACOMAS?
I have some DO shadowing with a family doctor, but I have extensive shadowing with MD family doctor.

Should I list both of them together?
Sure you should put both

JUST SUBMITTED my app for 24 schools, the bank account is 950$ short, and eventhough I thought submitting would relieve a little stress it seems it only amplified it!! now more **** to worry about while I study for the mcats,

good luck to everyone.

cheers