* * 2010 - 2011 Application Season * * Post AACOMAS Questions Here !!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Say I was only on the Dean's list for like 1 or 2 semesters...Is that still worth putting down? I figured not but...What do you guys think?

Members don't see this ad.

I was in the dean's list multiple times so do I put in each year as a new award? There's only a single date that I can choose if I only use one award box thing

Members don't see this ad :)
Had talked to AACOMAS on the phone yesterday. Apparently my transcript was lost (and it happened to a few others too). They took a month and a half to let me know (and only after I called to ask).

...Seriously?

I feel like it could have happened to me as well....I sent my transcripts to aacomas the same time I sent to AAMCAS and 3/4 have made it to aamcas....zero to aacomas?

Do they update that as fast as aamcas?

Had talked to AACOMAS on the phone yesterday. Apparently my transcript was lost (and it happened to a few others too). They took a month and a half to let me know (and only after I called to ask).

...Seriously?

Complain to the better business bureau and ask for some form of compensation from AACOMAS i.e. they cover costs and rush it.

I feel like it could have happened to me as well....I sent my transcripts to aacomas the same time I sent to AAMCAS and 3/4 have made it to aamcas....zero to aacomas?

Do they update that as fast as aamcas?

ALL of my transcripts got to AACOMAS like over a week after they got to AAMCAS, which literally makes no sense to me because they're both getting sent to the same city....:confused:

ALL of my transcripts got to AACOMAS like over a week after they got to AAMCAS, which literally makes no sense to me because they're both getting sent to the same city....:confused:

Did you guys send it to the new address? They have changed addresses since last year ...

Sorry to hear about the problems though. =( They got mine the same time as AMCAS.

Same thing happened to me

Submitted my app 6/03, had two out of three transcripts in by 6/9. Third one was sent out 6/11, started calling them on 6/22 when it didn't show up in my app and finally got through on 6/25. I was told they had my transcript and that it should be up soon. After waiting about four business days I called again, and big surprise, they would not pick up. Finally got through yesterday, and I was told they do not have it :mad:

They have HORRIBLE customer service

Does anybody know where there is documentation on the AACOMAS website regarding grade replacement and credit hours. From my understanding, the repeated course has to be the exact same credit hours but I'd like to see this statement directly from their website

Thanks

I don't know if details about the grade replacement policy is on the AACOMAS web site. I can say that I was a little startled to find out that one of my repeated courses was not going to replace the old one.

Well, this is a little confusing but here goes...

I took Physics 1 and 2 as an undergrad. In undergrad, the lecture and lab were separate courses, lec=3 credits, lab=1 credit.

I ended up repeating Physics 1 and 2 in my post bac work at a community college many years later. Here the lecture and lab were combined into one 4 credit course.

Okay, in my undergrad Physics 1 class I received a B in both lecture and lab. AACOMAS replaced those grades with the A I received in my 4 credit post-bac course.

For my undergrad Physics 2 class I received a C in lecture and an A in lab. I have an A in the 4 credit Physics 2 post bac class. AACOMAS did not replace my original physics 2 lab and lecture grades. They just left them on there.

I contacted AACOMAS about this thinking it was an error but they said they can't replace the undergrad Physics 2 because I had two different grades in lecture and lab!

It really doesn't make sense to me and seems rather arbitrary. :confused:

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't have the documentation, but I thought the repeat had to be at least the same number of credits. It was my understanding that the repeat could be more.

I couldn't find the info on their website or instructions but I did find this on another thread.

Quote:
Under AACOMAS guidelines, courses are considered repeats under the following conditions: 1. the latest or repeated course must either be the same as the previous course it's replacing and/or they must have identical course description. 2. the repeated course credits must be the same number of credits or greater than the original course's credits. Once these conditions are met, the current grade replaces the previous one and counts as a repeat. AACOMAS verifies applicants' academic records using the information provided by official transcripts; this means that you have to submit your transcripts and AACOMAS application in order for AACOMAS to determine if any courses are repeats. You may contact our office at (301)9684100 for any further questions. Have a great day.

Hope this helps!

I didn't put Dean's List down, because it's assumed when you look at the grades from a semester, if you got straight A's one semester it's obvious you got Dean's List or Provost's List, or w/e they call it lol. Jus' sayin, I wouldn't put it because it's just repeating what's already obvious... I would put other awards and honors, though.

Good luck everyone! :)

AACOMAS finally got my transcript today after a really annoying mix-up. anyone have any idea how long verification is taking now?

I think I might be in the same boat with transcripts. My school got a little excited and pre-maturely sent my transcript before grades were posted as requested. They have sent a new one to AACOMAS but I just got an email this morning telling me that my application reflects grades not represented on my transcript and I need to fix it and resubmit.

I have emailed them. Are they really as bad about responding as it sounds? (Or more importantly: is it better to call than wait for an email response?) Is the app usually quickly verified after resolution of the issue?

Thanks
A

if you applied in june and had to resubmit in july, does the submitting in june now hold 0 advantage?

Last edited:
I think I might be in the same boat with transcripts. My school got a little excited and pre-maturely sent my transcript before grades were posted as requested. They have sent a new one to AACOMAS but I just got an email this morning telling me that my application reflects grades not represented on my transcript and I need to fix it and resubmit.

I have emailed them. Are they really as bad about responding as it sounds? (Or more importantly: is it better to call than wait for an email response?) Is the app usually quickly verified after resolution of the issue?

Thanks
A

I emailed them quite a few times and they weren't that bad, but there seem to be a lot of people who have bad experiences with them. They took 2 days to answer my first email, got undelivered twice and I kept emailing them and calling and they finally fixed it and verified me the next morning. I initially didn't understand for the life of me what they wanted me to fix so I called and she explained everything to me. I think it might have helped that I called too, but who knows lol. I would call if they don't respond to the email and leave a msg if they don't answer. :luck:

Hi Everyone,

So I was taking a class this summer and I got an A in it, but AACOMAS still has not received my transcript from that school; that A really pumps up my Sci GPA so I want it included in my app; can I add it to my grades and submit the app before they get my transcript?
Thanks!
~Tarun

Hi Everyone,

So I was taking a class this summer and I got an A in it, but AACOMAS still has not received my transcript from that school; that A really pumps up my Sci GPA so I want it included in my app; can I add it to my grades and submit the app before they get my transcript?
Thanks!
~Tarun

definitely

I know i shouldnt list each year as a new reward, so how did you guys do it?

I honestly did not list Dean's List at all on my AACOMAS application. There was no good, concise way to enter it the way the web form is set up. Somewhere on here LizzyM said that adcoms assume that med school applicants with good grades were on the Dean's List and it is not really necessary to list it on the application.

Thanks for the replies - what about engr courses that are actually computer programming classes though? Like some of my courses are not titled 'ENGR,' They are titled 'EBME' (for biomedical engineering); and they are not really science, they are computer programming courses. Do those count as science as well?
Thanks
Tarun

If you use the link in Everglide's post, then computer science type courses would be included under Math. That is where I put mine. When they review your application, they will make adjustments. I believe they pretty much left mine the way I coded it. I tried to keep most of the ENGR courses under engineering. However, my freshman physics and calc, which were under ENGR department, I did code into Physics and Math respectively. The reviewers left them the way I coded them even with ENGR in the course number.

In the end it is so much better that AACOMAS lets you count engineering as science. That really bugged me about AMCAS. They would not allow an engineering circuits class to count as Physics even though it was much more in depth than the 1-2 chapters covered in General Physics.

I honestly did not list Dean's List at all on my AACOMAS application. There was no good, concise way to enter it the way the web form is set up. Somewhere on here LizzyM said that adcoms assume that med school applicants with good grades were on the Dean's List and it is not really necessary to list it on the application.
>>

Respectfully, I disagree. I wouldn't assume that they assume anything.
Besides, the instruction handbook says to list it once and then state that it was multiple years in the description.

If you use the link in Everglide's post, then computer science type courses would be included under Math. That is where I put mine. When they review your application, they will make adjustments. I believe they pretty much left mine the way I coded it. I tried to keep most of the ENGR courses under engineering. However, my freshman physics and calc, which were under ENGR department, I did code into Physics and Math respectively. The reviewers left them the way I coded them even with ENGR in the course number.

In the end it is so much better that AACOMAS lets you count engineering as science. That really bugged me about AMCAS. They would not allow an engineering circuits class to count as Physics even though it was much more in depth than the 1-2 chapters covered in General Physics.

Hey, thanks so much, this post was extremely helpful! Yeah it seems like you are a strong engineer - I wasn't, and to add to that my school was a HARDCORE engineering school (Case Western Reserve University). Soooo, my engr classes are really killing me. Nice to hear that my matlab intensive engr class won't be counted as science!

I didn't list any Dean's List awards either. Since they are entirely GPA-based, I was told ADCOMs ignore these anyways, since they don't distinguish the student... read: everyone with x GPA makes Dean's List.

Got a response this morning and they are basically telling me I need to have my transcript sent a third time! :mad: I guess I will dump the extra cash to have it rushed with a side of FedEx. Sigh.

I am missing one grade for my spring 2010 grade. I will get that very soon.

Problem is, I got evicted from my house and we have been really busy. I haven't started my application process. Should I wait until my last grade comes?

Also, is personal statement by far the biggest challenge of the application process? and is there a prompt/question? or you can write about anything or more generally why do you wanna be a DO?

Do we have to order our activities by date or does it organize it automatically after submission?

Do we have to order our activities by date or does it organize it automatically after submission?

I made sure to list mine in order. It didn't matter though, because they messed the order up on the application PDF, LOL :laugh:. Oh well.

Do they require Spring quarter grades to be submitted before verification? Because I sent my transcript in beginning of June before my grades came out, and submitted my application end of June. Today I got an email saying that my application won't be complete until an updated transcript with my Spring quarter grades is received because I didn't list those grades on my application. At the time I was filling out the application, I didn't have the grades yet so I put my Spring quarter as planned/in progress, and my transcript didn't have my Spring quarter grades either so they both matched. But I guess I'll have to send them an updated transcript.

Do they require Spring quarter grades to be submitted before verification? Because I sent my transcript in beginning of June before my grades came out, and submitted my application end of June. Today I got an email saying that my application won't be complete until an updated transcript with my Spring quarter grades is received because I didn't list those grades on my application. At the time I was filling out the application, I didn't have the grades yet so I put my Spring quarter as planned/in progress, and my transcript didn't have my Spring quarter grades either so they both matched. But I guess I'll have to send them an updated transcript.

Yes. they require spring quarter grades. Many people have been undelivered because of it.

Yes. they require spring quarter grades. Many people have been undelivered because of it.

Thanks. I was under the impression spring quarter grades were preferred but not required...I guess I should have my transcript sent right away on Monday.

Thanks. I was under the impression spring quarter grades were preferred but not required...I guess I should have my transcript sent right away on Monday.

Its new this year, there was alot of angry people (myself included) due to the policy. It delayed my application about two weeks. Luckily I convinced my spring professor to submit our grades the night of our final and then I sent it overnight so it'd get there right away. 50 bucks but it was verified 3 days later and sent off. Worth it.

Its new this year, there was alot of angry people (myself included) due to the policy. It delayed my application about two weeks. Luckily I convinced my spring professor to submit our grades the night of our final and then I sent it overnight so it'd get there right away. 50 bucks but it was verified 3 days later and sent off. Worth it.

Ohhh I see. I wish I had been reading this thread more and I probably would have noticed. What a waste of a transcript request. I'm also thinking of having it sent express mail...the sooner the better.

Does anyone know if schools can see we've applied to them prior to applications being verified and released?

I made sure to list mine in order. It didn't matter though, because they messed the order up on the application PDF, LOL :laugh:. Oh well.

Yup, I spent all that time also entering it in chronological order and the pdf went ahead and randomized it... but I read somewhere that the application schools receive is different then the pdf summary we see right after submission, so schools DO see the chronological order.

:rolleyes:

I didn't list any Dean's List awards either. Since they are entirely GPA-based, I was told ADCOMs ignore these anyways, since they don't distinguish the student... read: everyone with x GPA makes Dean's List.

Yup. :thumbup:

If you have a good GPA they will obviously know that you were on a Dean's List for a semester, etc.

Yeah, I'm kind of pissed that they AACOMAS doesn't consider math classes in the sci GPA, considering I got all A's in my math classes. :laugh:

Oh well.

>>

Respectfully, I disagree. I wouldn't assume that they assume anything.
Besides, the instruction handbook says to list it once and then state that it was multiple years in the description.

I see what you're saying. If someone has a really low GPA and wants to list it, they should. But if someone has like a 3.9 GPA, no point in listing it because its obvious that you have good grades, why list it? Ah whatever, this whole process is a crap-shoot so and it's so subjective; you can have one person reading your application and just doesn't like your essay or the school you went to and you will be rejected, with no interview. It sucks. Luck really does play a role in this process.

Oh, and thank god for LizzyM, I've been following her advice since the moment I became pre-med, and she has always been very, very helpful; I'm so grateful to her posts.

is there anyway to see your gpa on your application? i know i could see it before I submitted, but I cant find it anywhere on my application now...i know i'm probably missing something really simple here. haha

is there anyway to see your gpa on your application? i know i could see it before I submitted, but I cant find it anywhere on my application now...i know i'm probably missing something really simple here. haha

If nowhere else, you can click the PDF next to the schools you applied to and see them there.

Hi,
I just had two questions. So for my college as a whole, there is an all-around english requirement called the UC Entry Level Writing Requirement. Is this the english requirement they are talking about in AACOMAS? Also, if this is the case, I took an AP English Composition test in HS that fulfills this, so should I list the course subject as "English" instead of "AP"? My college also has general education requirements that comprise 5 quarters of humanities. If AACOMAS means humanities as my english requirement instead of the aforementioned, do I only list up to 6 semester hours as english and the rest as humanities?

Thanks

Hi,
I just had two questions. So for my college as a whole, there is an all-around english requirement called the UC Entry Level Writing Requirement. Is this the english requirement they are talking about in AACOMAS? Also, if this is the case, I took an AP English Composition test in HS that fulfills this, so should I list the course subject as "English" instead of "AP"? My college also has general education requirements that comprise 5 quarters of humanities. If AACOMAS means humanities as my english requirement instead of the aforementioned, do I only list up to 6 semester hours as english and the rest as humanities?

Thanks

No, the AACOMAS requirement is referring to three quarters of English class at the college level.

Is it okay to combine work experience into one entry. I held a variety of customer service type of jobs, and I don't want to make separate entries for each one and repeat myself x5. I was planning on putting the longest one in the employer and date entries and then put in the description: similar experience @ XYZ employer full-time from 2/02 to 3/03. I did this for AMCAS and it seemed to work out fine.