2009-2010 University of Kansas Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hmm, ok. The girl I talked to is an M2 so I assumed it might have changed. Thanks though!!!

Members don't see this ad.

Submitted my secondary a week ago. Took some time since my wife and I had company for like two and half weeks in a row (yes, we're exhausted). I hope that wasn't too late.

The questions were ridiculous to answer in 1000 characters (basically 200 words). But, c'est la vie... You answer them and move on.

My guess is that we get interview invites in about a week and a half or so. Which is frustrating since a number of other state schools have already sent out invites. I guess Kansas spends a lot of time looking through the applicants to really choose who they want.

With all this consistent waiting, it makes you think honestly about what your chances are. I'm sitting on a 29Q, a 3.65 GPA (both), a Communications degree focusing on journalism (with a business admin minor), and various work experiences... I mean, all that is just average... For the most part. Perhaps I'm just slightly pessimistic today, but I just really want to come out of my interviews glowing... Knowing that I nailed them.

Speaking of interviews. I was talking to an applicant from last year's cycle last week and she gave some insight on the interviews themselves. As we all know, there are two of them. The first, she said, was pretty low key. A lot of history questions based off your portfolio that is sitting in front of the interviewer. Just know what you've done and how it fits into the process and you should be good. The second interview, she said, was more sterile... Very removed and asking general questions about the health care system as a whole and the like. More difficult to prepare for and way more soul-crushing.

Circumlocution is key for these interviews, so I hope I'm pretty loose the day of, so I can think around topics and the like.

Anyway... I want in at KU Med... Oi...

has anyone been marked complete yet? it should eventually say "File is complete." after your secondary and letters are received. does anyone have this appear on their status page? what's your last update? mine still has "____ letter received" as my last update....anyone have anything about being complete?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hmmmm, no. Mine has been complete for weeks now but it's still showing the letter received as the last update, like yours.

Hey guys just FYI my status is now "file complete."

Mine too - "File Complete" as of 8/13 (I got my last LOR & secondary in towards the tail end of July).

Interesting! I bet they've started reviewing files now.

:luck: guys! I just know you will be getting an interview letter in the mail very soon! I'm so excited for you all. I have a year to go before I get to experience this anxiety, so I'm living vicariously through you all! :D

Thanks for letting us know! My status also says File Complete. Hooray!

File complete for me too, as of 8/13/09. Hopefully interview invites by Sept. 1st? :)

Out of curiosity, has anyone ever heard of an in-stater with decent numbers (ie: 3.5+ gpa and 28+ cGPA, as KU recomends for EDP) NOT getting an interview invite?

File complete for me too, as of 8/13/09. Hopefully interview invites by Sept. 1st? :)

Out of curiosity, has anyone ever heard of an in-stater with decent numbers (ie: 3.5+ gpa and 28+ cGPA, as KU recomends for EDP) NOT getting an interview invite?

No, but I have heard of a (3.75/35, IS, 2 years of research there, his sister goes there) getting rejected after his interview.

My file is now complete as well. My LORs arrived there in June, so I bet they just are processing apps now.

LXS17, that is ridiculous. I mean, I don't doubt you, but he must have had a bad day at the interviews... Those numbers are extremely competitive.

No, but I have heard of a (3.75/35, IS, 2 years of research there, his sister goes there) getting rejected after his interview.

I have heard of a few cases like that, typically they involved people who had little to no clinical experiences and/or did not interview well. But I would be curious to know about pre-interview rejections of IS applicants if anyone else has heard of it happening?

Members don't see this ad :)
Just because you have great numbers doesn't mean you have what schools are looking for. Its also about personality and qualities and values. KU looks at INSTATE applicants more than oos unless you can show you have strong ties to KS. They are trying to keep the drs the produce in the state and place them in areas where there is more need. Numbers are important, but they are not EVERYTHING. I think KU has a lot to offer and apply ED just means Ill know months before others if I got in or not. The early bird gets the worm

Yup, "file complete 8/13/09".

Yay!!! Here we go!

GOOD LUCK GUYS!

LXS17, that is ridiculous. I mean, I don't doubt you, but he must have had a bad day at the interviews... Those numbers are extremely competitive.

Well, he got in the next round. And I just talked to Mr Edwards, he said they are still busy with EDP applicants. So there's no need to panic if your stuff hasn't been downloaded.

Good luck!

I appreciate the information. I'm guessing we get invited in a little over a week, if they are still working through all the EDP apps.

We are all just comparing the minutia of numbers and experiences now. Time to study the horizon of the health care industry... I expect more than a few questions focusing on that topic during the second interview.

This was me last app season (4.0, 29), however I did get a reg interview. It was relayed to me that my lack of clinical experience was the hiccup...not going to let that happen this time I'd I can help it!

Not to pry, but what do you mean by "lack" of clinical experience.

Like "nothing?" or next to nothing?

No shadowing or volunteering in a clinic at all?

If this is the case and you now have some clinical experience, I bet you'll be pretty solid to get in this time!

Good Luck!

Not to pry, but what do you mean by "lack" of clinical experience.

Like "nothing?" or next to nothing?

No shadowing or volunteering in a clinic at all?

I really had 'next to nothing.' I was working full time and taking my premed courses at night, there just wasn't any time. All I had was around 30 hrs of volunteering, and a couple shadowing experiences.

I hope to be in the class with you all this time, though! :)

I really had 'next to nothing.' I was working full time and taking my premed courses at night, there just wasn't any time. All I had was around 30 hrs of volunteering, and a couple shadowing experiences.

I hope to be in the class with you all this time, though! :)

Uh-oh. I guess I better get some shadowing done, fast. All I have is a year of volunteering about 4 hours a week. (I've been knowing I *should* shadow, but it's just so easy to send out calls to docs and "wait for them to call me back", which understandably, they don't.)

That's scary.

Good luck to you, though - you should be a sure thing this year!

I just submitted my secondary. They probably won't get to my application until my MCAT scores and last LOR are received. *crosses fingers* I can only hope now

O wow just received the completion message 8/18. I had everything submitted 7/23. So I guess it takes a good three-four weeks

Tuesday is Sept 1 and still no word. :(

* BUMP *

Well, in lieu of the lack of any other information, I'll share my little frightening experience with you all...

This past Friday, I logged into the Meds site like I do every day with a glimmer of hope that I'd find something new.

Well... I did. But I was horrified.

I logged in at around 6 in the morning to find the words 'No Items Received' under my status. This, after it had said everything was received for the three weeks prior.

I was appalled. Did I do something wrong and they had just realized it and voided all my papers? Had I been rejected and they were simply updating files? Was it a server error? They were all reasonable options in my convoluted mind...

I had to wait an agonizing two-and-a-half hours to finally call Mr. Jason Edwards, the Program Manager for Admissions. I tried not to sound frantic or overly worried, and my calm prevailed... All my info was still there and it was likely server maintenance.

In any case, he said that September 1st would likely be 'the day of days' when emails and statuses change to reflect invites. Interviews will be held the 14th, 15th, and 16th of September for EDP applicants.

All that said, I was a little freaked by my morning incident and felt compelled to convey an expose of sorts.

Wishing everyone a calm-filled weekend of unseasonably cool weather... Go play volleyball or rollerblade or something... ;)

Well, in lieu of the lack of any other information, I'll share my little frightening experience with you all...

This past Friday, I logged into the Meds site like I do every day with a glimmer of hope that I'd find something new.

Well... I did. But I was horrified.

I logged in at around 6 in the morning to find the words 'No Items Received' under my status. This, after it had said everything was received for the three weeks prior.

I was appalled. Did I do something wrong and they had just realized it and voided all my papers? Had I been rejected and they were simply updating files? Was it a server error? They were all reasonable options in my convoluted mind...

I had to wait an agonizing two-and-a-half hours to finally call Mr. Jason Edwards, the Program Manager for Admissions. I tried not to sound frantic or overly worried, and my calm prevailed... All my info was still there and it was likely server maintenance.

In any case, he said that September 1st would likely be 'the day of days' when emails and statuses change to reflect invites. Interviews will be held the 14th, 15th, and 16th of September for EDP applicants.

All that said, I was a little freaked by my morning incident and felt compelled to convey an expose of sorts.

Wishing everyone a calm-filled weekend of unseasonably cool weather... Go play volleyball or rollerblade or something... ;)

dude, chill out. the ku status site blanks out sometimes, usually when they're doing site maintenance.

btw, don't stress out about getting an interview. i can almost guarantee everyone here will be getting an interview, at least if you're a KS resident. they hand out interviews like nothing to in-staters. just chill out. it's all a matter WHEN they actually send out the invites. don't think of it as "i got rejected" but more like "I have an interview in a few weeks." get ready for it.

I over-exaggerated my angst. Don't worry... I knew there was nothing wrong.

I just used some literary hyperbole to turn me logging in, seeing 'no items received', calling and hearing 'you're fine', and then logging in again twenty minutes later and seeing everything there into a better story.

Yes, I understand that interviews for in-state applicants are handed out quite generously. But it helps me keep things in perspective if I take the whole process one step at a time and not assume things.

I'm not worried at all. Just trying to count my blessings and let things play out.

I appreciate the concern, though.

Just a few more days.

I over-exaggerated my angst. Don't worry... I knew there was nothing wrong.

I just used some literary hyperbole to turn me logging in, seeing 'no items received', calling and hearing 'you're fine', and then logging in again twenty minutes later and seeing everything there into a better story.

Yes, I understand that interviews for in-state applicants are handed out quite generously. But it helps me keep things in perspective if I take the whole process one step at a time and not assume things.

I'm not worried at all. Just trying to count my blessings and let things play out.

I appreciate the concern, though.

Just a few more days.

not quite generously, but VERY generously. here's how it works for KS residents:

EDP: 3.5 and 28 MCAT = automatic interview
RD: 3.4 and 26 MCAT = automatic interview

if you don't make either of those, you can still get an interview for sure. the difference is the adcom actually has to read over your application and factor in your extra-curriculars and whatnot.

for KS residents EDP who interview, 60% are accepted.
for KS residents RD who interview, 25% are accepted.

so chilllll outtt. :) everyone will be interviewing in a few weeks. stop being annoying, neurotic premeds and act like normal ppl instead. good luck!

I'm curious about the 40% of Kansas EDP applicants who interview but don't get accepted. They get rolled into RD... And I hear a lot of them end up getting accepted there, but I'm sure a lot of us would be interested in that number...

Scout, thanks for posting that, I thought it was pretty funny.
September 1st! I feel better having a date, at least so I can stop compulsively checking my e-mail for the next two days.

Yeah, thanks for posting Scout! I TOTALLY would have done the EXACT same thing. Plus, I would've called my husband every 30 seconds to ask what could've happened to their computers. I would've flipped out to everyone I know that would listen. Then when I finally reached the guy, I probably wouldn't have remained calm and once I learned everything was ok, there probably would've been an awkward situation in which I said THANK YOU a bazillion times and proposed marriage or something. ha ha.

So - good going. :)

I'll keep my eyes out on Sept. 1.

:)

Nothing yet. Huh, I hope we at least get 2 weeks before our interview to prepare for travel. It's getting a little late KU...

Let us know as soon as you guys hear something...

Yeah, still nothing. I feel bad for you guys who have to travel. My "travel" is 45 min in my car and riding the elelvator to the 3rd floor instead of the 4th.

Nothing yet. Huh, I hope we at least get 2 weeks before our interview to prepare for travel. It's getting a little late KU...

Let us know as soon as you guys hear something...

Hey...last year when I interviewed ED, I got the invite around this time, and interviewed on like, the 17th of september, so you will have time to make flight/hotel plans (if needed). If i remember correctly, there were 3 days of ED interviews.

Good luck!!

Been following this thread for a while. The suspense is killing me!:xf:

Yes, I've been following this thread and my KU page all day. Still no news yet. Maybe it will be tomorrow...

Here's to hoping we hear something today! Nothing as of 10:15. :)

10:45 still nothing... Has anyone called yet?

I've called twice... Gotten voicemail both times. I'm assuming that they are frantically trying to get things done before the holiday weekend.

Clearly, there were so many strong EDP applicants that they can't possibly fit us into only 3 days of interviews, leaving them no choice but to accept all of us on the spot.

They are just trying to get them sent by Friday... So don't get your hopes set too high for tommorrow.

Clearly, there were so many strong EDP applicants that they can't possibly fit us into only 3 days of interviews, leaving them no choice but to accept all of us on the spot.

I am going to assume this until I hear otherwise. Ignorance is bliss.

Yeah, I am also assuming this. No reason to think otherwise!

Anyone hear anything yet? 11:15 here and nothing. I was really hoping they'd get to us before the weekend!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.