2009-2010 Drexel Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Interviewed: 1/9
Committee Member: ~1/18
Admissions Committee: 4/12

The next month should be fun.... Come on "A Final Decision"!

4/16 A final decision has been reached and a letter will be mailed to your preferred address.

Ugh, with such a quick committee decision, I fear for the rejection.

Members don't see this ad.

Just called. Interviews are officially done here. I asked if rejection statuses would be posted to all of us who currently have "rereviewed later in the season" and I was told a letter woul be sent. I kind of went off on them and told them it would be nice to inform people of their status, yaddah, yaddah. The woman on the phone was less than pleased.

Oh well - thanks for the closure Drexel!

Members don't see this ad :)
ah finally - under review by committee... interviewed 3/1. I had not been expecting anything at all for another month, judging by the other people here. So now just a couple months to go to final decision ;)

Don't they have to let you know by mid-may?

Apparently, sometimes the status updates don't mean squat. I interviewed in mid-Feb. I still have the "if you've appear for your interview..." status but when I called in this week I was told that am "in committee now and a decision will be made in the next couple weeks".

My question: why do they have status pages at all if they aren't kept up to date or have glitches? I would be happier just being told to wait for the big (or little) envelope in the mail. I need sanity!

Don't they have to let you know by mid-may?

Apparently, sometimes the status updates don't mean squat. I interviewed in mid-Feb. I still have the "if you've appear for your interview..." status but when I called in this week I was told that am "in committee now and a decision will be made in the next couple weeks".

My question: why do they have status pages at all if they aren't kept up to date or have glitches? I would be happier just being told to wait for the big (or little) envelope in the mail. I need sanity!

I feel your pain...my status says the same thing and i'm going on 14 weeks post interview..interviewed 1/11...:mad:

I was encouraged by past applicants, not necessarily to drexel though, to send letters directly to the dean of admissions once interview season is over. I guess I would advise not to do that with Drexel, as Dr. Parrish sent me a quick response to please only send updates to the admissions office. Hope he is not too annoyed.

I was encouraged by past applicants, not necessarily to drexel though, to send letters directly to the dean of admissions once interview season is over. I guess I would advise not to do that with Drexel, as Dr. Parrish sent me a quick response to please only send updates to the admissions office. Hope he is not too annoyed.

Every dean is different. Dr. Hanau, the previous Dean of Admissions at Drexel, was open to receiving letters. I wouldn't be too worried about annoying Dr. Parrish. He's a very nice guy.

Yea i am not worried. Just wanted to pass along that the preference is definitely to send letters to the general inbox.

Quick question, everybody.

I was getting nervous about the fact that I am something like 9 weeks post interview without any change. So I contacted a doctor with whom I did research and sent another letter just so I could have another letter of recommendation and show I am still interested. I noticed today that it appeared as a new LOR on the website. Does anyone know if this will set me back in the queue to be reviewed? I already had the required amount of letters and such but I'd rather not have any more delays (though I know I may have brought this one upon myself).

Thanks for any help and continued good luck everyone!

My status changed to " Thank you for confirming your intention to remain on the Drexel Admissions waiting list."

Now another round of waiting begins.......:oops:

Just withdrew - Good luck everyone!!! Hopefully the wait won't be too long :luck:

Who should I send updates to? I'm on the waitlist and want to send another letter of update.

I sent one to Kelli Kennedy, the Director of Admissions, but never got a response. Should I send updates to the Dean of Admissions? Or does it matter?

Members don't see this ad :)
Who should I send updates to? I'm on the waitlist and want to send another letter of update.

I sent one to Kelli Kennedy, the Director of Admissions, but never got a response. Should I send updates to the Dean of Admissions? Or does it matter?

It shouldn't matter. It'll make it to your file regardless of who you send it to. Just be aware that Dr. Parrish, the Dean of Admissions, would rather you not send them directly to him.

yay! it looks like they read my post and have been changing my online status to catch up with my actual status (so now I'm official at being "reviewed by the committee"). I'm so excited to finally hear from them... just one more step away to a decision... I'm hoping for the best!!!

Drexel, if you are reading this: I love you, please take me!!! I will win nobel prizes in your honor (and, if possible, use some of the money to pay off tuition...)!!!

I took the liberty to review most of this thread to either ACCEPT or REJECT the above hypothesis. So far, the data seem to suggest that at least anecdotally my hypothesis is correct. Below is a list of SDNers who posted on this thread and have revealed their fate here:

I. A FINAL DECISION HAS BEEN REACHED:

i) Final decision and Rejected: ek1099 and djd2187, BearDownAZ* etc.

ii) Final decision and Accepted: doxycycline, royalewthcheese, johnnyExtra, reidmike, LAS10886m eNVykillaBeez, sportsfreak, Sun Dog, Vitruveanly, ItsaMarathon, ROGI, fishjj06...etc

II. A DECISION HAS BEEN REACHED:

iii) Decision (not final) and Waitlisted: ashbabe, herewego, hockyfan, NEWHER*, CPValley*

*recently added

Interviewed 2/4
Admissions Committee like 6 weeks ago I don't remember the exact date
4/23 A decision is reached... another f***ing waitlist... if the pattern on the board holds true
::sighs:: 3 interviews all resulting in waitlists.. :(

Interviewed 2/4
Admissions Committee like 6 weeks ago I don't remember the exact date
4/23 A decision is reached... another f***ing waitlist... if the pattern on the board holds true
::sighs:: 3 interviews all resulting in waitlists.. :(

Interviewed 3/18 and still says with committee member ...could be after May 15th before I hear...:( I guess at this point no news is still hopeful news

Just curious, have you heard that from somebody from the admissions board?

Nope--just from experience and observation over the last few years.

People tend to hold on to their acceptances for as long as they can, so you're not going to see a significant number of withdrawals until the point when applicants have to drop all but one (mid-May).

I started applying to the Caribbean medical schools....I really hope I get off the wait list and get accepted here, as its my last chance, lol

How much is the approximate total cost of attendance here? If I'm not mistaken it's astronomically high. I want to apply here this coming cycle but a tad concerned about whether I can afford it if lucky enough to be accepted.

Nope--just from experience and observation over the last few years.

People tend to hold on to their acceptances for as long as they can, so you're not going to see a significant number of withdrawals until the point when applicants have to drop all but one (mid-May).

From your experience, does Drexel have to or try to make all the decisions before May 15th? Or can people still get their final decisions after then? I'm a 3/1 interview, and I'm not really expecting to hear before May 15th, but at the same time, it would sort of seem like a reasonable date for them to try to get through all the apps...

From your experience, does Drexel have to or try to make all the decisions before May 15th? Or can people still get their final decisions after then? I'm a 3/1 interview, and I'm not really expecting to hear before May 15th, but at the same time, it would sort of seem like a reasonable date for them to try to get through all the apps...

No, you may not get your final decision until after May 15th. Last year on SDN there were still preliminary (non-waitlist) decisions trickling in up until June.

does anyone know if there's any correlation between those who are taking longer to hear back and acceptances?

i mean, does it seem like those files being reviewed for 14 + weeks are just getting waitlisted, or the exactly 6 weeks being rejected, something like that?

I took the liberty to review most of this thread to either ACCEPT or REJECT the above hypothesis. So far, the data seem to suggest that at least anecdotally my hypothesis is correct. Below is a list of SDNers who posted on this thread and have revealed their fate here:

I. A FINAL DECISION HAS BEEN REACHED:

i) Final decision and Rejected: ek1099 and djd2187, BearDownAZ* etc.

ii) Final decision and Accepted: doxycycline, royalewthcheese, johnnyExtra, reidmike, LAS10886m eNVykillaBeez, sportsfreak, Sun Dog, Vitruveanly, ItsaMarathon, ROGI, fishjj06...etc

II. A DECISION HAS BEEN REACHED:

iii) Decision (not final) and Waitlisted: ashbabe, herewego, hockyfan, NEWHER*, CPValley*

*recently added

Just got "A decision has been reached". I will post once I get the decision so that I can be added to the data pool we've got going here. I'm hoping I will start my own category!

Just got "A decision has been reached". I will post once I get the decision so that I can be added to the data pool we've got going here. I'm hoping I will start my own category!

when did you interview?

mid Feb, right in the middle of all the snow storm craziness.

Do I have a chance to be accepted if I just applied last week.

3/1: Interview
~4/16: Committee member
4/27: "A decision has been reached..."

OK - good. Its over one way or another! :xf:

edit: nvm - not a "final decision"... waitlist.... woot. not really :)

Last edited:
This might be a real question possibly because they only have one post? If it is then... sorry but...wow.[/QUOTE
So why would they have the deadline
for the application as May 14th ? I do understand that the earlier the better, but if the application is very compelling, why not..?

This might be a real question possibly because they only have one post? If it is then... sorry but...wow.[/QUOTE
So why would they have the deadline
for the application as May 14th ? I do understand that the earlier the better, but if the application is very compelling, why not..?

When are you trying to start? The May 15th deadline is for people who have already been accepted.

What do you mean "accepted" ? The class is not filled yet. And I personally went to the university to make sure that I am not late to submit my application. And I was told that I am not late.

What program are you applying to? This forum is for applicants to Drexel's Doctor of Medicine (MD) Class of 2014.

Are you applying to Drexel's DPMS program? That application deadline is, indeed, May 14th.

You can visit the Postbaccalaureate forum, where there's a thread for Drexel's DPMS program.

What program are you applying to? This forum is for applicants to Drexel's Doctor of Medicine (MD) Class of 2014.

Are you applying to Drexel's DPMS program? That application deadline is, indeed, May 14th.

You can visit the Postbaccalaureate forum, where there's a thread for Drexel's DPMS program.

I feel like a complete idiot. You are right, DPMS - that what I am applying for. The thing is I did a search for DPMS Drexel, and I just looked at the last page. So, sorry... But congratulations and good luck to you all!

I feel like a complete idiot. You are right, DPMS - that what I am applying for. The thing is I did a search for DPMS Drexel, and I just looked at the last page. So, sorry... But congratulations and good luck to you all!

No problem. Glad we could point you in the right direction. Good luck with your application.

Interview: 3/1
Admissions Committee: 4/28

Looks like I somehow skipped a step? I'm assuming that it doesn't mean anything one way or another?

I called the admissions office yesterday and the guy told me that they won't be getting people off the waitlist until early June..sigh...more waiting....

You know I've heard about a lot of people calling there and getting a very negative/harrassed-sounding guy on the phone. And when I was interviewing I met a guy in the office there who was pretty upset when I asked him where the bathroom was... :)

I feel pretty confident that waitlist will move in the second half of May, just like at all the other schools.

I agree completely. I am not singling out drexel, but some schools could learn a thing or two from a human resources consultant or something like that. There is not reason to not be completely forthcoming.

"A decision has been reached..."

i already got waitlisted at one school today! :mad:

I interviewed 2/14 and still haven't heard. I didn't check it for 8 weeks or so because that's how long they said it would take and by then it was "under review." I finally called the admission office this week and the guy said they would be reviewing my application this week and I would hear Friday or Monday. I don't know how he knew mine would be reviewed this week, but as of now it still says "under review."

A couple weeks ago someone posted that if you were accepted you would first get an email about a background check. Is there any more anecdotal evidence about this? I got an email from AMCAS about the background check last October but I don't know if this is the same one.

I also called the admissions office and they said not to expect movement on the waitlist until early June.

Edit: The person I called said that people hold Drexel acceptances longer probably because they're waiting to get off the waitlist somewhere else.

Last edited:
I am also waitlisted at Drexel, OOS. I recently retook the mcat; I think my score was the reason for me being placed on waitlist. Will I have the chance to update my file with my new score for this cycle? Has anyone done this in the past?

waitlisted...

chalk up another one to the "a final decision"/"a decision" hypothesis...

here's to more waiting!

Good luck with the waiting.

Has anyone actually been accepted from interviewing after, let's say, the start of Feb. or so? Granted, people are probably still waiting to hear back from the committee, but I'm just trying to gauge whether to have hope, lol.

Status
Not open for further replies.