2009-2010 Case Western Reserve University Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's a portion of what I received in the e-mail from case asking me to complete their secondary: We request that you complete the online secondary within two weeks of receipt even though the deadline for last submission is December 15; completing the secondary as early as possible will enhance your chances of being invited for an interview.

So I guess they don't have a 2-week deadline but they strongly encourage you to complete it within two weeks. No, I don't think that incldues LORs since you can submit the secondary without the LORs being downloaded, but I would call them just to be sure. Good luck everyone :luck:

for other schools with deadlines it doesn't include LORs, so I would assume it's the same here. doesn't hurt to check though.

Members don't see this ad.

I think I took three weeks to get my secondary to Case submitted, and it turned out fine. It's not a strict requirement, but it really is highly recommended that you get things in within two weeks because it shows that Case is important to you.

As far as the optional essay, I didnt have any research experience - academic or otherwise. I had some engineering/tech work activities which involved a thought process and analytics that I likened to those used in research. I called the admissions office to ask if I should write that essay using my work experience as the content source, or if that would be inaccurate and I should just leave it blank. The response was simply that I should definitely write it, because "the more the committee knows about you, the better."

So keep that in mind.

Case is awesome. They don't want you to suck up to them and tell them all about why you want to go there, they really just want to get to know each of you as individuals. :thumbup:

(Sup Myuu & Desice!)

for the research question, they mention considering a career as a "physician-investigator." does this mean a doctor who does research AND sees patients?

Members don't see this ad :)
for the research question, they mention considering a career as a "physician-investigator." does this mean a doctor who does research AND sees patients?

yes.
the typical physician investigator (usually called a physician scientist) does about 80% research and 20% medicine, although that is just the norm and there are certainly other ratios of research:medicine

Sorry in advance that this is going to be a long post!
For the Research Essay, what kind of details are expected about the research. I've worked on 3 projects:
1 abstract presented - working on paper.
1 abstract accepted (presenting in October) & working on paper (therefore I can only discuss conclusions without #s as per my investigator's rules)
1 currently collecting data for.

How much detail should I go in describing the approach and details. Any advice?
As much detail as you need to explain the hypotheses, what you did, what the findings were, and why your research is important. CCLCM research interviewers care a lot about your understanding and your ability to go one step beyond. In other words, depending on your results, what would you do next to advance the research?

Quick tip for photos: Use one that is both professional and likeable (i.e. you can tolerate having other people recognize you by that photo:laugh:).

Ours are posted on the wall outside of admissions.:scared:
Ours are posted all over the entire Cleveland Clinic. Every single attending who has anything to do with the med school at all has them. Some of them even memorize our names before meeting us. It's a little freaky sometimes. :scared:

funny/surprising comment by an adcom (not from case) i talked to:
"if your picture is dorky, i just throw the app aside"

probably in jest
Judging by how dorky some of our pics are, it was definitely in jest. :)

Question: Can we talk about research that we are currently doing? If so do we just say what we expect the results to be?
Sure. You have a hypothesis for your research, right? So you must have some expectation for what results you'll end up with then. I would focus on explaining the hypothesis and what results you expect to see that would confirm or refute your hypothesis.

Hey I'm thinking of applying here. Can anyone tell me their impressions of the school? Is Cleveland interesting at all?
I love Case. Both programs have pretty eclectic students, which is cool. You have a ton of free time during first and second years, especially first year, as you can tell by all these UP first years posting on this thread. :laugh: Both programs get a lot of clinical and research training starting in first year, especially my program. The four hospitals where we all rotate are very different and expose you to a good variety of patient populations. Board scores and match lists are good. If you like a less traditional curriculum, either Case program would be worth checking out.

Cleveland is not as bad as people make it out to be. It's not NYC or LA, so you have to have realistic expectations if you come here. One of my classmates has a good way of putting it. You won't find a lot of anything in Cleveland, but you can find one of everything. In other words, there won't be 10 great Korean restaurants like there might be somewhere else, but there is one. I guess the exception would be Italian and Middle Eastern restaurants. There are tons of those.

If you get both interviews, I believe they schedule them on consecutive days. Prepare to marathon!!
Right, they schedule them back-to-back.

good to see a lot of action already for the next year class! it's so exciting :)

sup myuu :D

on the topic of stats for our recently accepted class (i'm class of 2013, up student)
hmm let's see, the UP students had an average mcat of 34.1 and the cclcm average was 34.7 i believe, and the gpa averages were 3.66 and 3.7 or something close to that. so it's not a huge difference in terms of numbers.

good luck!
Our numbers are averaged into yours, and a lot of people get accepted to both programs anyway, so it's not surprising.

I would ask for you, but I have no idea how to contact the CCLCM admissions office. The UP one isright around the corner, though...
All info can be found on the admissions webpage. Just so everyone knows, Susan is leaving in a few weeks, so try to be patient if there are some delays for a while. There is only one other person in our admissions office besides her.

So...I have a few research experiences...Does it matter which I talk about? I sorta talked about one in my personal essay which was much more scientific and advanced bc it was research in a lab...the other option is a clinical research project i did in undergrad which really wasnt that complicated...but which had results that i could talk about. Which is better...to talk technical or give a story with a beginning middle and end?

thannnks
Imagine you are the person reading your essay, and write about the one you would want to read about.

anyone find this secondary even worse than chicago?? hahah maybe I'm just being a baby, but I've finished all my other secondary essays and now just have this one. and i can't seem to get myself motivated to do it. luckily there's the 2 week deadline, so I have to do it soon. I really wish my LORs were all in so I could actually send these darn things
It's been a while since I applied, but I don't remember either school's secondary being particularly bad. I think it's just you. ;)

Anybody else hear about Obama's upcoming visit to the Cleveland Clinic this week? In his press conference today he mentioned that it's another example (in addition to Mayo) of what health care should look like. :thumbup:
Yes, he came yesterday, then went to a high school in Shaker (a suburb of Cleveland) to give a talk.

oh misunderstood. as i understand it, they pay physicians a set salary so doctors don't all clamor to get the most # of procedures in possible. that's a good idea that should be looked at more.

but boo obamacare as it stands
Right, the physicians are salaried.

Thanks to everyone who read through this whole post, and good luck with your apps!

For the secondary essay in which we are to describe a moral and ethical dilemma, would it be bad if my essay has to do with my religious beliefs as a Seventh-day Adventist? Other than that situation dealing with someone trying to force my to do something against my beliefs, I don't feel like I have a really compelling story to tell.

For the secondary essay in which we are to describe a moral and ethical dilemma, would it be bad if my essay has to do with my religious beliefs as a Seventh-day Adventist? Other than that situation dealing with someone trying to force my to do something against my beliefs, I don't feel like I have a really compelling story to tell.
i did. i think it's fine if you can explain it.

I don't think it would be a bad thing to discuss at all, as long as you don't paint yourself in a negative light. So I guess it might depend on what that "something" was that somebody was trying to pressure you into doing. If it's something that somebody might read and say, "why was this person in a situation where somebody wanted them to do this?" then you might not want to bring it up. Don't want to look bad by association.

But I guess that applies to everybody who's writing about an ethical and/or moral dilemma. :) I think what you're asking is, does the inclusion of religion make it a bad idea. Plenty of people have differing opinions on discussing religion, but I don't think it would be bad in this case.

Just make sure that you write about something you would feel comfortable discussing with a complete stranger, since it will come up at your interview. :thumbup:

I don't think it would be a bad thing to discuss at all, as long as you don't paint yourself in a negative light. So I guess it might depend on what that "something" was that somebody was trying to pressure you into doing. If it's something that somebody might read and say, "why was this person in a situation where somebody wanted them to do this?" then you might not want to bring it up. Don't want to look bad by association.

But I guess that applies to everybody who's writing about an ethical and/or moral dilemma. :) I think what you're asking is, does the inclusion of religion make it a bad idea. Plenty of people have differing opinions on discussing religion, but I don't think it would be bad in this case.

Just make sure that you write about something you would feel comfortable discussing with a complete stranger, since it will come up at your interview. :thumbup:
i wrote about a religious dilemma as well. the key, i feel, is to not make that the focus. the main goal is to see how you responded to the dilemma in general, and what it means to you going forward.

i wrote about a religious dilemma as well. the key, i feel, is to not make that the focus. the main goal is to see how you responded to the dilemma in general, and what it means to you going forward.

...which is exactly what I plan to do with it. Thanks for the quick input guys, I appreciate it!

Ok so, change of plans. I decided my initial topic wasn't the best for admissions, so I need a new topic. Would it be bad to talk about some of the main ideas from my personal statement on AMCAS? What if some of my new essay was a word for word repeat of what I put in my PS?

Ugh! I am having so much trouble with this. I have been researching for almost 4 years now so I have worked on a ton of stuff. 1 page! I picked one of the three jobs I have had and then I picked one of the ten projects I had there and I still can't keep it to one page. I mean we have to explain the research because not everyone will even know what we are talking about. Plus talk about what we think will happen, why we think that, methods and why, results and interpretations, and to top it off why this makes us want to be physician investigators! Hardest essay ever!!!!!!!

buffy -
agreed, there does not seem to be enough room to complete all their requests.

Members don't see this ad :)
Ugh! I am having so much trouble with this. I have been researching for almost 4 years now so I have worked on a ton of stuff. 1 page! I picked one of the three jobs I have had and then I picked one of the ten projects I had there and I still can't keep it to one page. I mean we have to explain the research because not everyone will even know what we are talking about. Plus talk about what we think will happen, why we think that, methods and why, results and interpretations, and to top it off why this makes us want to be physician investigators! Hardest essay ever!!!!!!!
Focus more on the why's and less on the how's. Like I said before, the adcomms are interested in determining if you understand the hypotheses, rationales, and future directions of your research. They don't really want to read about how you run gels or set up your equipment or whatever. Here's a general outline you can follow: Write one paragraph explaining why this project is relevant and interesting (an intro); one about your hypotheses and aims with a sentence or two about methods used to test them; one about results (if you have them) and future directions of the project (a conclusion); and one about your career plans. That's four paragraphs, which is totally doable in one page.

No one expects you to get into all the nitty-gritty details in the essay, so don't worry about leaving them out. I'm not sure if the UP does this too, but CCLCM will often have someone interview you who is familiar with your area of research. So you'll have the chance to discuss your methods and other technical details with a scientist when you come for the interview.

Thanks to you for answering questions.
Sure. Four years isn't long enough to make me forget how stressful and confusing applying is, especially since I will have residency apps breathing down my neck soon!

If any of you have other questions, ask away. I can't tell you as many specifics about the first two years for the UP since we do our first two years separately, but I can tell you about rotations for both programs and of course anything about my program's curriculum.

If I were to PM someone my secondary application essay, could someone look it over? Not necessarily for proofreading, but I would like to know if the content and the style of the essay is appropriate. An unbiased non-christian opinion would be nice!

If I were to PM someone my secondary application essay, could someone look it over? Not necessarily for proofreading, but I would like to know if the content and the style of the essay is appropriate. An unbiased non-christian opinion would be nice!

PM yours to me and then maybe you can read mine when I finish it later today :)

I can read

I am suprisingly confused with the wording of weakness essay. I am just supposed to highlight a weakness and describe how I have dealt with it...right? Thanks

I am suprisingly confused with the wording of weakness essay. I am just supposed to highlight a weakness and describe how I have dealt with it...right? Thanks

Well they ask for a current weakness and how you plan to deal with it in the future. You can talk about how you have identified it, the current steps you are taking to overcome it, and how you plan on working on it in the future. That would be ok, but writing something along the lines of having overcome a weakness completely does not address the prompt.

Hope this helps!

Well they ask for a current weakness and how you plan to deal with it in the future. You can talk about how you have identified it, the current steps you are taking to overcome it, and how you plan on working on it in the future. That would be ok, but writing something along the lines of having overcome a weakness completely does not address the prompt.

Hope this helps!

Where does it say that it has to be a current weakness? I don't know which essay you're reading but mine doesn't ask about a current weakness lol

Focus more on the why's and less on the how's. Like I said before, the adcomms are interested in determining if you understand the hypotheses, rationales, and future directions of your research. They don't really want to read about how you run gels or set up your equipment or whatever. Here's a general outline you can follow: Write one paragraph explaining why this project is relevant and interesting (an intro); one about your hypotheses and aims with a sentence or two about methods used to test them; one about results (if you have them) and future directions of the project (a conclusion); and one about your career plans. That's four paragraphs, which is totally doable in one page.

No one expects you to get into all the nitty-gritty details in the essay, so don't worry about leaving them out. I'm not sure if the UP does this too, but CCLCM will often have someone interview you who is familiar with your area of research. So you'll have the chance to discuss your methods and other technical details with a scientist when you come for the interview.

Ouch, I think I got a little too technical. I spent a whole paragraph talking about methods.

Where does it say that it has to be a current weakness? I don't know which essay you're reading but mine doesn't ask about a current weakness lol

I mean, if you have to design a plan for that weakness, it's kind of implied that it's a CURRENT weakness... where are your MCAT VR skills dude!!!:p

Targeted areas for improvement are identified by our students at the end of each year. Other than knowledge, what would you identify as an area that is not a strength for you? Design a plan how you could improve it. Please limit your essay to 500-1000 characters and leave a blank line between paragraphs.

The 'is' in the prompt and the fact you need to design a plan to improve it means that it should be a current weakness (or not a strength).

I have two research projects that I can talk about. One is basic research that has results and is written up as a thesis. The other one is a continuing clinical research project without any results. I'm much more interested in the clinical one, then that is the one I should write about right? Even though there might be more to say for the first one.

I have two research projects that I can talk about. One is basic research that has results and is written up as a thesis. The other one is a continuing clinical research project without any results. I'm much more interested in the clinical one, then that is the one I should write about right? Even though there might be more to say for the first one.

As long as you're fully addressing the prompt, I would say to write whichever you feel most comfortable writing.

Targeted areas for improvement are identified by our students at the end of each year. Other than knowledge, what would you identify as an area that is not a strength for you? Design a plan how you could improve it. Please limit your essay to 500-1000 characters and leave a blank line between paragraphs.

The 'is' in the prompt and the fact you need to design a plan to improve it means that it should be a current weakness (or not a strength).

hahaha dont hate. i thought they were talking about the very first essay not the last one. by the way... i got an 8 on the verbal section so i can see why i messed that one up lol

Speaking of which, what do you guys think about joking that our interest in Case is pending on the Cavs ability to resign Lebron, like during our interview when they ask "What attracts you to our school?"

More likely to seem inappropriate/frowned upon or funny/shows you have a personality?

Speaking of which, what do you guys think about joking that our interest in Case is pending on the Cavs ability to resign Lebron, like during our interview when they ask "What attracts you to our school?"

More likely to seem inappropriate/frowned upon or funny/shows you have a personality?
if your interviewer is a true clevelander like me, we won't appreciate any conjectures about lebron leaving.

if your interviewer is a true clevelander like me, we won't appreciate any conjectures about lebron leaving.

Which is only slightly worse than saying "how 'bout them Ravens?"...

No, what trueBelief said is correct.

Exactly. The whole point of this question is that when we write our portfolio essays, we have to write about our weaknesses and develop plans to address them. So for example, at the beginning of third year, I had a hard time keeping my presentations organized, especially post-call. Several of my residents and attendings commented that I should work on making my presentations more organized. So I started writing notes on index cards, which helped me organize my presentation and remember important details, and then I got better evals for my presenting.

For the essay, you guys are supposed to come up with a nonacademic weakness. So you should think about some weakness you're having difficulty with NOW, and then talk about what you are doing to improve.

Ouch, I think I got a little too technical. I spent a whole paragraph talking about methods.
You don't have to follow my outline exactly. As long as you addressed the why part somewhere in the essay, I'm sure it will be fine. :)

I would feel out your interviewer first. If your interviewer is the serious type, you could end up with a really awkward moment. :laugh:

Just got the interview invite!!!
Awesome, congrats!

It depends heavily on your interviewer and his/her sense of humor, the rapport you build with him/her during the interview, as well as your ability to deliver such a joke in the appropriate way.

While many interviewers might enjoy the humor, I would tread carefully on this one - some faculty members are not rabid Cavs fans, and they may think such a comment at an interview to be unprofessional.

It depends heavily on your interviewer and his/her sense of humor, the rapport you build with him/her during the interview, as well as your ability to deliver such a joke in the appropriate way.

While many interviewers might enjoy the humor, I would tread carefully on this one - some faculty members are not rabid Cavs fans, and they may think such a comment at an interview to be unprofessional.
Exactly. Some interviewers would definitely think it was unprofessional, and others would think it was funny. If it were me, I would just chalk it up to interview day jitters and answer, "ok, so for real, why do you want to come here?" But that's because I didn't even know Lebron might be leaving until I read this thread. :laugh:

Got an invite for Case (University Program). 2 invites today. 3 total. Wow! Thank God!

Congrats to those with the invites! :thumbup:

I received application on 7/17, submitted on 07/19, complete on 7/23 and received invite this evening ( 7/27). 10 days? That's crazy.

I received application on 7/17, submitted on 07/19, complete on 7/23 and received invite this evening ( 7/27). 10 days? That's crazy.

I was complete on 7/20.. I wonder why they wouldn't make decisions for the people who completed early

Interview Invite as well.

Complete on the 24th and interview invite three days later. Thats amazingly fast!

Interview Invite as well.

Complete on the 24th and interview invite three days later. Thats amazingly fast!

Don't count the weekend, and that is one day.

Invite! Woohooo! Case, you're the best.

Status
Not open for further replies.