2009-2010 AMCAS Questions Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I was just rechecking over my Work/Activities section and I'm kind of wondering about this.

This fall I will be a SI leader and TA for Physics. I have not actually done it yet, but I did get the job in early April and have done some training for it as well. Can I list that and say I started in April (since you can't add future dates) and make note that I will actually teach this fall? Or should I leave it off?

I think it's cool because you've started it, in a way.

Members don't see this ad.

My application is still waiting in line to be verified. If I was to re-submit from adding an LOR or school, will I be put back to the end of the line and wait longer?

I was just rechecking over my Work/Activities section and I'm kind of wondering about this.

This fall I will be a SI leader and TA for Physics. I have not actually done it yet, but I did get the job in early April and have done some training for it as well. Can I list that and say I started in April (since you can't add future dates) and make note that I will actually teach this fall? Or should I leave it off?

LizzyM's favorite quote:

"To those of you wondering about listing things in the experience section that haven't happened yet: it looks as silly as a Kleenex padded training bra on an eleven year old."

LizzyM said that, not me! :laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
LizzyM's favorite quote:

"To those of you wondering about listing things in the experience section that haven't happened yet: it looks as silly as a Kleenex padded training bra on an eleven year old."

LizzyM said that, not me! :laugh:

Darnit... I am indeed guilty of this. I just figured that by the time interviews come around I'd already have started and I wouldn't have to send an update letter.

So despite what I thought was a thorough research of the AMCAS process, I just recently learned that "verification" is a process that can take up to four weeks and that medical schools don't get your primary application until the verification is complete. I just submitted my primary to be verified yesterday, and now it looks like my primaries will be sent in August :( There goes getting em in in the JJs...

while waiting for the AMCAS to be verified, if I add new medical schools, does the place in line get reset? Can I add medical schools after the primary is verified?

Gah, my plans for global domination is ruined. Why did I think that the moment I click "submit" on AMCAS, it would be sent instantly to med schools???

So despite what I thought was a thorough research of the AMCAS process, I just recently learned that "verification" is a process that can take up to four weeks and that medical schools don't get your primary application until the verification is complete. I just submitted my primary to be verified yesterday, and now it looks like my primaries will be sent in August :( There goes getting em in in the JJs...

while waiting for the AMCAS to be verified, if I add new medical schools, does the place in line get reset? Can I add medical schools after the primary is verified?

Gah, my plans for global domination is ruined. Why did I think that the moment I click "submit" on AMCAS, it would be sent instantly to med schools???

It's ok, what's done is done, now focus on what you can do now.
1) I am not sure adding new schools would reset your place, I have been advised against it however, it would be better to add after you have been verified, it's not going to be sent to schools anyway.
2) You should start working on your secondaries asap, go to the 2009-2010 school specific forum and search for the schools you want to apply to.
3) Get all you LORs ready

Keep in mind, complete in august is still somewhat early. Just make sure that when your app gets verified, everything is ready to go

It's ok, what's done is done, now focus on what you can do now.
1) I am not sure adding new schools would reset your place, I have been advised against it however, it would be better to add after you have been verified, it's not going to be sent to schools anyway.
2) You should start working on your secondaries asap, go to the 2009-2010 school specific forum and search for the schools you want to apply to.
3) Get all you LORs ready

Keep in mind, complete in august is still somewhat early. Just make sure that when your app gets verified, everything is ready to go

Yes to #2 and #3.

To #1, you can add schools at any time. If you don't feel comfortable though, you can add schools the day you are verified. Then, re-certification takes ~2 business days, so the new schools will have all your info by then.

anybody have any idea about how long the verification process is taking right now? thanks

anybody have any idea about how long the verification process is taking right now? thanks

Apparently anyone submitting now (as in july 14) should expect a 4.5 week delay. But I think they will be able to keep it at 3.5 weeks.

My application is still waiting in line to be verified. If I was to re-submit from adding an LOR or school, will I be put back to the end of the line and wait longer?

If you re-submit your application to add additional medical schools or additional letters it will NOT affect the verification time. Your application will remain "in line" and not be bumped due to these additions.

Yes to #2 and #3.

To #1, you can add schools at any time. If you don't feel comfortable though, you can add schools the day you are verified. Then, re-certification takes ~2 business days, so the new schools will have all your info by then.

You can add schools at any time as long as the deadlines haven't passed for the medical schools. Again, if you haven't been verified this will not affect the verification time and you will remain "in line" for verification. If you submit the new schools after you are verified we send the new schools your information electronically right away but medical schools differ in the timeline it takes them to receive this new data. Some medical schools download your applications electronically and get them instantaneously. Other medical schools only download once or twice a week. And yet other schools only receive applications via paper so the mail can take up to two weeks to deliver from the time we send it. So there is no "standard" time in which they receive them.

Apparently anyone submitting now (as in july 14) should expect a 4.5 week delay. But I think they will be able to keep it at 3.5 weeks.

This isn't necessarily true. We give applicants the estimate of up to 4-6 weeks or longer during peak processing times. We don't give any other estimates other than this because it all depends on how many other applicants are submitting from day to day so all estimates you hear from your peers are only guesses and not estimates.

So the only changes I can make to the application post-submission/verification is the list of items stated on page 87-88 of the AMCAS2010 instruction? Can I make changes to my personal statement after submission? This has probably been asked before but I can't find it right now. Thanks

Members don't see this ad :)
So the only changes I can make to the application post-submission/verification is the list of items stated on page 87-88 of the AMCAS2010 instruction? Can I make changes to my personal statement after submission? This has probably been asked before but I can't find it right now. Thanks

nope you can't. No changes can be made to essays or the work experience sections at all.

This isn't necessarily true. We give applicants the estimate of up to 4-6 weeks or longer during peak processing times. We don't give any other estimates other than this because it all depends on how many other applicants are submitting from day to day so all estimates you hear from your peers are only guesses and not estimates.

Yup, thanks! That's why I said apparently lol - just extrapolating from the current verification time.

I tried seaching this but couldn't really find it but if we're applying to MD schools under what course classification do we put Freshman humanities seminars or humanities classes?

Thanks,

-LIS

I tried seaching this but couldn't really find it but if we're applying to MD schools under what course classification do we put Freshman humanities seminars or humanities classes?

Thanks,

-LIS

What class is it? When in doubt, social science! haha

I also have the same question. Does anyone here know the correct way of inputing the repeat courses in amcas?

I'm working on my second application cycle AMCAS right now and had a question. On last year's AMCAS, the Biology course that I retook had a red "X" next to the old and the new listing of it in the courses section. I think this means that something was wrong with it. I put "repeat" in both descriptions of it, is this where I went wrong?

I'm wondering the same thing. This is my first cycle. Do I put repeat next to the old AND the newer course. Or do I just put repeat on the old course or just on the new course.

I also have the same question. Does anyone here know the correct way of inputing the repeat courses in amcas?

Merging with the AMCAS Questions Thread.

What class is it? When in doubt, social science! haha

Well basically it was an english class. At our school instead of taking an english course your 1st semester you take the humanities course. We read a bunch of books, discussed, wrote papers.

Any ideas or should I just put english?

-LIS

Well basically it was an english class. At our school instead of taking an english course your 1st semester you take the humanities course. We read a bunch of books, discussed, wrote papers.

Any ideas or should I just put english?

-LIS

Yeah just go with English. Your description sounds quite appropriate.

Can someone explicitly tell me how to change my contact email address on my 2008-2009 amcas application? I have logged in several times and cannot find the option to switch my email address, since my current one is being deleted soon.

It would be best to explain it to me like a 10 year old!

Can someone explicitly tell me how to change my contact email address on my 2008-2009 amcas application? I have logged in several times and cannot find the option to switch my email address, since my current one is being deleted soon.

It would be best to explain it to me like a 10 year old!

Merging with AMCAS Questions Thread.

Select the Repeat option for the both original and each multiple attempt. The original grade for the 1st attempt must be included on the application, even if it no longer appears on the official transcript. Failure to include the original grade will cause your application to be returned, and possible deadlines to be missed.

Sorry if this has been asked already, but I couldn't find it. Still waiting for verification, but hoping to get a good estimate of my sGPA and cGPA.
The university I attended as a freshman did not give letter grades. Instead, GPA was recorded as your % in the class out of 100 (i.e. a 95% overall in a three credit class is just a 95 and contributes 285/300 to your GPA). Any idea how this transfers over? I would assume that AMCAS would, like a class in a uni with a 4.0 scale, pick an arbitrary % range for each letter grade, but if anyone can clarify, that'd be great.

ok I got an LOR question. All my profs and writers sent my letters to my Career Center. My Career center will forward them to Amcas. I'm asking my career center to send each letter individually, as opposed to combining them into one big packet as they usually do (I have 6 letters and didn't want to overwhelm schools).

Ok, so when I input my letters in AMCAS, should I select each as an indvidual letter (not a packet)?

Then if I do that, on the address section should I fill in the addres of my letter writer, or the address of my career center (since they'll be sent from my career center to amcas, not from my writers to amcas)?

ok I got an LOR question. All my profs and writers sent my letters to my Career Center. My Career center will forward them to Amcas. I'm asking my career center to send each letter individually, as opposed to combining them into one big packet as they usually do (I have 6 letters and didn't want to overwhelm schools).

Ok, so when I input my letters in AMCAS, should I select each as an indvidual letter (not a packet)?

Then if I do that, on the address section should I fill in the addres of my letter writer, or the address of my career center (since they'll be sent from my career center to amcas, not from my writers to amcas)?

I say put them all individually on AMCAS, but have the address of your Career Center on each of them.

So I just realized I stated I applied to georgetown in previous years when I haven't. Is there a way to edit that on AMCAS or will I have to e-mail/phone GT saying there's a typo. If the latter, do you think it'll affect me badly/very badly?

ugghh... soo stupid.....

once you've submitted your application, can you add a letter of recommendation without it affecting your place in the verification line? thanks

So I just realized I stated I applied to georgetown in previous years when I haven't. Is there a way to edit that on AMCAS or will I have to e-mail/phone GT saying there's a typo. If the latter, do you think it'll affect me badly/very badly?

ugghh... soo stupid.....

You can't change that. I'd actually call Georgetown and inform them of the mistake - probably the best approach.

I don't think it will affect you in any way. People make mistakes. Its not like you told them you hate their school, and are now trying to say it was a typo.

once you've submitted your application, can you add a letter of recommendation without it affecting your place in the verification line? thanks

Apparently my friend did that, and it had no bearing on their place in line. It makes sense that it wouldn't have an effect. Just call AMCAS to make sure - no better resource.

Hey, thought I'd ask this here since we're talking about errors: I apparently forgot to check one of my AMCAS work/activities, and thus just today found out about that my research description for my organic chemistry work was overlooked.

The section is briefer than my other activity descriptions (it is concise and sums up what I did in 3 sentences but does not give a background of my project) and there are 2 words hanging at the end of the last sentence. Basically it ends with the phrase "I synthesized", leaving a hanging ending.

How much will this mistake hurt me? I'm applying MD/PhD, and I do give a very detailed description of this research activity in my MD/PhD essay and in my Research summary. I'm just concerned that this awkwardly written section about a key EC will score me big negatives with medical adcoms and make them think that I'm not taking this process seriously.

My AMCAS was verified 7/7/09, and I'm working on secondaries now; all of the secondaries are from schools that don't screen, I.E, UCSF hasn't gotten back to me. UW rejected me this Monday as an out-of-region candidate for the MD admissions and said I might still be considered as an MSTP; not sure why they'd send me this in the first place considering I put MD/PhD as my program of choice. Worried that this rejection might have been to those stupid extra 2 words.

Hey, thought I'd ask this here since we're talking about errors: I apparently forgot to check one of my AMCAS work/activities, and thus just today found out about that my research description for my organic chemistry work was overlooked.

The section is briefer than my other activity descriptions (it is concise and sums up what I did in 3 sentences but does not give a background of my project) and there are 2 words hanging at the end of the last sentence. Basically it ends with the phrase "I synthesized", leaving a hanging ending.

How much will this mistake hurt me? I'm applying MD/PhD, and I do give a very detailed description of this research activity in my MD/PhD essay and in my Research summary. I'm just concerned that this awkwardly written section about a key EC will score me big negatives with medical adcoms and make them think that I'm not taking this process seriously.

My AMCAS was verified 7/7/09, and I'm working on secondaries now; all of the secondaries are from schools that don't screen, I.E, UCSF hasn't gotten back to me. UW rejected me this Monday as an out-of-region candidate for the MD admissions and said I might still be considered as an MSTP; not sure why they'd send me this in the first place considering I put MD/PhD as my program of choice. Worried that this rejection might have been to those stupid extra 2 words.

Rejection will not be attributed to your situation, at all. People make mistakes.

Plus, maybe you just had bad word choice, and intended to write "I proliferated," in an effort to explain you gained weight while doing sedentary research.

I'm not verified yet, but I want to assign my LORs to the schools I applied. Is anyone SURE that this won't affect my place in line?

I'm not verified yet, but I want to assign my LORs to the schools I applied. Is anyone SURE that this won't affect my place in line?

Call AMCAS for "SURE" answers - no better source. But from what I understand, it will not have an effect. Somehow, I don't think you care what I think though lol

Hi
I assigned my letter packet to all my schools before I submitted my application. I'm using my school's letter service which uses VE. I asked my school's letter service to send the packet to AMCAs. Because I already assigned the packet to all the school's, is the packet automatically sent to all the schools? What happens if I only wanted to send it to the schools that wanted secondaries? Is it bad to accidently send LOR's before potentially getting secondaries?
Thanks

Hi
I assigned my letter packet to all my schools before I submitted my application. I'm using my school's letter service which uses VE. I asked my school's letter service to send the packet to AMCAs. Because I already assigned the packet to all the school's, is the packet automatically sent to all the schools? What happens if I only wanted to send it to the schools that wanted secondaries? Is it bad to accidently send LOR's before potentially getting secondaries?
Thanks

No one sends anything, generally. A med school, if they want your letters, will download them from VE. AMCAS simply forwards your letters to VE. So you should be fine.

I transferred into a four-year university after graduating from CC with an associate's. Do I have to re-enter all of the courses that transferred from the CC, which I already entered under the CC, under the four-year university? This seems ridiculously redundant and unnecessary, but I wan't to make sure that there will be no issue verifying my primary.

Thanks.

I transferred into a four-year university after graduating from CC with an associate's. Do I have to re-enter all of the courses that transferred from the CC, which I already entered under the CC, under the four-year university? This seems ridiculously redundant and unnecessary, but I wan't to make sure that there will be no issue verifying my primary.

Thanks.

I wouldn't bother repeating them - it doesn't make sense. However, you are best off calling AMCAS on Monday to confirm.

Hi
Thanks

You should be fine. If the schools want the letters, they'll have them. If they don't, oh well.

quick question

so i want to add 5 more schools. what is this whole reverifying thing? do i need to do it each time i add a school? or can i say no to the first 4, then say yes for the 5th one and it will go to all the new ones?

quick question

so i want to add 5 more schools. what is this whole reverifying thing? do i need to do it each time i add a school? or can i say no to the first 4, then say yes for the 5th one and it will go to all the new ones?

this one is what i did. worked fine.

quick question

Yes you can.

I was a National Merit Scholar, and attended my state University on a full National Merit Scholarship. How do you think I should enter this into my EC's?

I was a National Merit Scholar, and attended my state University on a full National Merit Scholarship. How do you think I should enter this into my EC's?

Award

Hi, I just got verified and as a Canadian student my university lists my courses as 0.5 and 1.0 credits (regardless if it has a lab component or not).

So when I was verified each of my credit hours became 3.0 hrs and 6.0 hrs (which does not reflect lab components, which would make my hours 4.0 and 8.0).

Did you guys experience this problem in conversion? What did you do? Take it up with AMCAS or explain to each school?

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.