2009-2010 AMCAS Questions Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
you can apply for the ones you are sure about now, and then later add additional schools for $31 each- same as if you had added them initially!

Members don't see this ad.

I think it depends on the school. Once they get enough letters, or a letter packet, they will ignore all other letters that are sent in. Others will wait to look at your file until they have all letters you say they will get. If you want them to ignore the letter, then send an email directly to the schools

A few questions:

1) Once they recieve your transcripts, how long until they enter it and verify it?

2) Once you submit your application, how long until it is verified and schools will get your app?

3) And finally, can you submit your application without them having received your transcripts yet?

Any additional info will be really helpful ... thanks!!!

1+2: Transcripts are used in the application verification process. They just get the transcript from you, wait for your app, and when your app comes in, they use the transcript to verify your app. I sent in my transcripts on 06/05 and submitted my app on 06/19, and I still have not been verified. So it might take a while.

3: Yes. But remember to send them a transcript at some point.

Members don't see this ad :)
I sent in my transcript a while back, and AMCAS has received it. I just took a summer class... can I enter this class with my grade on my application even if the grade was not yet on my transcript when I sent it?

Just submitted my app. and it says "waiting for transcripts".....they already verified that they received my transcripts though...

I sent in my transcript a while back, and AMCAS has received it. I just took a summer class... can I enter this class with my grade on my application even if the grade was not yet on my transcript when I sent it?

If you enter it with a grade, AMCAS will want a transcript for it. If you enter it as in progress, you probably don't need to wait for the transcript.

If I've indicated a LOR for all my schools, but fulfill the minimum # of LOR's of each type without that LOR, will I still not be considered complete? In other words, if a major letter writer falls through or submits late, is there any way to tell the schools to ignore it and use the other letters if they meet the minimum requirements?

Let me know if this needs more clarification.

To be honest, I don't think so. I wouldn't assign a letter to a school until AMCAS actually has the letter.

Ah, after I submitted my application, it says "waiting for transcript" while transcript status indicates transcript "has been received." What does this mean??

It probably just means that AMCAS is busy and hasn't changed your status yet.

To be honest, I don't think so. I wouldn't assign a letter to a school until AMCAS actually has the letter.

I was just fiddling with the LOR section on AMCAS and it looks like there's a "Letter will no longer be sent to AMCAS" option under Details, for anyone who needs to retract a letter they assigned to schools.

Just submitted my app. and it says "waiting for transcripts".....they already verified that they received my transcripts though...

This happened to me too (I submitted five minutes ago), and in my paranoia I immediately thought: "oh no! They're going to wait until my in-progress summer classes finish, and I'll miss the early decision deadline!"

But hopefully that's not the case. I did flag those classes as in-progress, and they do have all my transcripts.

Edit - ten minutes later, app is finished processing and submitted. And wow, my GPA is even lower than I thought! :/

Last edited:
Hey I'm just about ready to submit my application, but my last point of concern had to deal with my PS. I've worked on my conclusion a ton, because of some input I got. No one from the PS thread has responded. Would anyone be willing to look over just my conclusion to see if it flows well and makes sense to you as a reader? Thanks a lot!

I could put it up here or PM you....let me know, you'd be helping me out a ton!!

Members don't see this ad :)
quick question:

i want to submit my amcas today but only send to one school bc i'm still waiting for my mcat score. once the score becomes available, i want to decide how many schools/which schools to apply to. but in the meantime, i would like my application to be verified and ready to go.

so, if i pay $160 for this first school i apply to right now, then do i just pay $31 per each school when i submit it again later on? or do i need to pay $160 + $31/school again later?

Do schools you apply to see all the other schools you apply to?
(I don't want to look super lame that I'm applying to like a thousand.)

Can you send in your transcripts BEFORE you've hit the submit button? I am not done with my PS but want to get the transcripts in as soon as my summer classes post, if possible - it takes a while to verify, right?

Hey I'm just about ready to submit my application, but my last point of concern had to deal with my PS. I've worked on my conclusion a ton, because of some input I got. No one from the PS thread has responded. Would anyone be willing to look over just my conclusion to see if it flows well and makes sense to you as a reader? Thanks a lot!

I could put it up here or PM you....let me know, you'd be helping me out a ton!!

I can read

Do schools you apply to see all the other schools you apply to?
(I don't want to look super lame that I'm applying to like a thousand.)

Can you send in your transcripts BEFORE you've hit the submit button? I am not done with my PS but want to get the transcripts in as soon as my summer classes post, if possible - it takes a while to verify, right?

according to somebody in another thread, schools only find out what schools you applied to much later (maybe after you are accepted), or if you tell them at interviews, or if they request a paper copy of the full amcas (uic mstp does that)

yes, you can send in your transcripts before you submit. they will receive them earlier, but they won't start verifying your app against the transcripts until you submit it.

Thanks. I submitted last night. My resubmission won't affect my place in the verification line, right?

I'd like to know this, too. I don't think it was ever answered from reading the following posts.

Yeah. My application status says it has been placed in line to be verified...if I resubmit when my LOR arrives, does this affect verification/my place in line? I hope not, as the letter doesn't get verified, but would still appreciate it if anyone can answer my question. Thanks!

couple random questions, don't worry about answering them all, whatever you can:

If I list honors or honor societies, and I mention the hours/week for one of them, but for others I don't do anything with them, should I just not mention that fact, or explicitly say "we don't hold meetings," kinda thing?

When I mention "top 5th," for requirements, do I need to say "in academics," or is that implied?

If I don't recall when I got inducted into something, monthwise, could I just say fall/winter/spring, or do they need a month?

Are abbreviations ever ok, in terms of saying USC or NU for a school, or LEAPP for a program that I've mentioned elsewhere all spelled out?

Are work/activities all in past tense, or should we keep it present tense, like the PS? I mean, I'm still doing some of them, but not all of them (or I could use past tense for what I did, and present tense for how my reflection), you know what I mean?

Thanks for your help!

I think I've got a real problem here...
I set my additional mcat date to July 17th when I was waiting on my scores in case it was real bad. I thought that I could change it after I submitted ( I think I read that somewhere on SDN) And the score ended up being decent enough so that I will not be retaking this year. I've tried to change it, but I just checked it and it keeps showing that I will be taking the mcat again on the 17th. How should I let the schools know that thats not the case?
Could this be why Im not receiving many secondaries? Ive been verified since monday and I've only received 4 secondaries out of 21.
Thanks alot

to be safe, you should probably email each of the schools directly, though it is a bummer

Yeah. My application status says it has been placed in line to be verified...if I resubmit when my LOR arrives, does this affect verification/my place in line? I hope not, as the letter doesn't get verified, but would still appreciate it if anyone can answer my question. Thanks!

Again, don't click submit until you are verified. At that point you can click it as many times as you want.

couple random questions, don't worry about answering them all, whatever you can:

If I list honors or honor societies, and I mention the hours/week for one of them, but for others I don't do anything with them, should I just not mention that fact, or explicitly say "we don't hold meetings," kinda thing?

I would just put down the hours/week that you spent total for all of them.

When I mention "top 5th," for requirements, do I need to say "in academics," or is that implied?

Not sure what you mean.

If I don't recall when I got inducted into something, monthwise, could I just say fall/winter/spring, or do they need a month?

The semester is probably fine.

Are abbreviations ever ok, in terms of saying USC or NU for a school, or LEAPP for a program that I've mentioned elsewhere all spelled out?

IMO, if you've already spelled out the full name it's OK to use abbreviations for names of programs and schools.

Are work/activities all in past tense, or should we keep it present tense, like the PS? I mean, I'm still doing some of them, but not all of them (or I could use past tense for what I did, and present tense for how my reflection), you know what I mean?

I used past tense for the ones I had stopped, and present tense for ongoing activities.

Thanks for your help!

I think I've got a real problem here...
I set my additional mcat date to July 17th when I was waiting on my scores in case it was real bad. I thought that I could change it after I submitted ( I think I read that somewhere on SDN) And the score ended up being decent enough so that I will not be retaking this year. I've tried to change it, but I just checked it and it keeps showing that I will be taking the mcat again on the 17th. How should I let the schools know that thats not the case?
Could this be why Im not receiving many secondaries? Ive been verified since monday and I've only received 4 secondaries out of 21.
Thanks alot

I would call AMCAS directly.

anyone know how long after you add a school (after submission), that they receive your app?

anyone know how long after you add a school (after submission), that they receive your app?

I was wondering that too. Does it take time or is it relatively quick?

it takes a while but its different with every school! i was verified at the end of june and about half of my schools have sent emails that they got my application for the rest i dont know if they are going to email or still havent received it yet!!

Hello,
I am planning on submitting my AMCAS application quite soon, though I do not yet have my MCAT score (I did not take the test before). At this point I want to include the schools on my application that I would have applied to regardless of my score, though I am not sure if I will be able to freely add/remove schools once the application has been submitted and I receive my MCAT score. Basically, I'm not sure if I can change and adjust the list of schools to base them more accordingly with my MCAT score. Would I be charged any fees if I did this? Thanks in advance.

I see. So I will be charged the application fees for all of the schools that I select initially on the application, correct? And there are no fees for changing the application in order to add more schools? Thanks again.

Merging with the AMCAS Questions Thread.

I was wondering that too. Does it take time or is it relatively quick?

If you have sent in your primary, and you have NOT been verified yet, then adding schools has no impact on when your verification will take place. All school on the list the day your AMCAS is verified will receive your information within 2-3 business days.

If you have sent in your primary, and you HAVE been verified, adding schools will require re-certification, as they call it. This is NOT re-verification. Schools that you add will receive your information, again, within 2-3 business days.

I see. So I will be charged the application fees for all of the schools that I select initially on the application, correct? And there are no fees for changing the application in order to add more schools? Thanks again.

Just apply to one school now to initiate the verification process. It is currently running at about 2.5 weeks (for those that submitted by June 22). Add all your other schools the day you get your MCAT score. The additional schools will receive all your information 2-3 business days after you add them. Please see me immediate preceding post to know how that works.

Getting ready to submit my app but I'm a bit confused about the appropriate format for course names. On my un-official transcript, the course names are in all caps like 'INTRO TO BIOLOGY'. Since AMCAS wants us to adhere to normal writing practice, I wrote the above as 'Intro to Biology' in the course name field. Would this be acceptable? or do I need to change it back to 'INTRO TO BIOLOGY'. Hope someone can point me in the right direction.

For the following sentence:

Tau Beta Pi: Engineering honor society for the top eighth of my junior class or top fifth of my senior class.

Should those "my's" be "my" or "the"? I don't know if they care about making it personal or simply stating the membership requirements

For the following sentence:

Tau Beta Pi: Engineering honor society for the top eighth of my junior class or top fifth of my senior class.

Should those "my's" be "my" or "the"? I don't know if they care about making it personal or simply stating the membership requirements

I think you defining requirements for Tau Beta Pi. If so, then "the." If you are defining how YOU got in to the society, then "my."

Getting ready to submit my app but I'm a bit confused about the appropriate format for course names. On my un-official transcript, the course names are in all caps like 'INTRO TO BIOLOGY'. Since AMCAS wants us to adhere to normal writing practice, I wrote the above as 'Intro to Biology' in the course name field. Would this be acceptable? or do I need to change it back to 'INTRO TO BIOLOGY'. Hope someone can point me in the right direction.

You are fine. No sweat.

Trekrr: Just write it with regular capitalization. They're smart, they'll figure it out. Remember that what you write, as long as it is verified, is what schools will see. You just need to put the exact same content as on your transcript.

Trekrr: Just write it with regular capitalization. They're smart, they'll figure it out. Remember that what you write, as long as it is verified, is what schools will see. You just need to put the exact same content as on your transcript.

Actually they are not even that strict, I put the full course names down instead of the random abbrevs that appeared on my transcript and that was perfectly fine.

really what I meant was... if your transcript says "BI 105 - diversity of life", don't write: "intro bio" or something.

....man, i'm getting bored at work waiting for a machine to free up. over the weekend, somebody else snagged the first three hours of the day. :(

Anyone know how long it takes for AMCAS to upload LOR's if they were sent by snail mail? My CSC just sent it out late last week and the AMCAS website says it can take up to 15 business days....please let it be shorter :/

Anyone know how long it takes for AMCAS to upload LOR's if they were sent by snail mail? My CSC just sent it out late last week and the AMCAS website says it can take up to 15 business days....please let it be shorter :/

Snail mail LORs really are slow. I'm not sure if it is running at 3 weeks at the moment, but a 1.5 week delay is pretty common, unfortunately. I'd call AMCAS to find out the current snail mail LOR lag time.

I am taking the MCAT on Aug 21st for the first time but my AMCAS says additional MCAT on Aug 21st. Why?

I am taking the MCAT on Aug 21st for the first time but my AMCAS says additional MCAT on Aug 21st. Why?

As far as I know, it is simply because it is in the future lol. It is just how the AMCAS software indicates to the schools that you are planning on taking the MCAT later on.

im entering my personal statement into amcas, and i was just wondering ... how should I distinguish between paragraphs?

I was just rechecking over my Work/Activities section and I'm kind of wondering about this.

This fall I will be a SI leader and TA for Physics. I have not actually done it yet, but I did get the job in early April and have done some training for it as well. Can I list that and say I started in April (since you can't add future dates) and make note that I will actually teach this fall? Or should I leave it off?

im entering my personal statement into amcas, and i was just wondering ... how should I distinguish between paragraphs?

Hard returns (space between paragraphs), and no tabs.

I was just rechecking over my Work/Activities section and I'm kind of wondering about this.

This fall I will be a SI leader and TA for Physics. I have not actually done it yet, but I did get the job in early April and have done some training for it as well. Can I list that and say I started in April (since you can't add future dates) and make note that I will actually teach this fall? Or should I leave it off?

It is an unwritten rule (or maybe it is written lol, but it's unwritten in my mind!) that you are not to post future activities in your primary. I think it would be better to leave it off, unless you seem to have like no other activities haha. You can send a supplemental letter later on when you actually start doing the stuff, as an update letter to schools.

Status
Not open for further replies.