2009-2010 AMCAS Questions Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey,

I checked "combined lecture and lab" for my biology and physics courses, but I forgot to add "and lab" to the courses. My application was already submitted. Will the schools not know that these were lab and lecture courses? I printed the application, and the application does not indicate that I checked the "combined lecture and lab" box.

Then yea, it would not indicate any lab. However, if it says anywhere on your transcript that there is lab with the class, then the verifiers will correct it and you'll be fine. If not I don't know what to tell you...hopefully you can send an update letter to them later on in the process explaining that.

Members don't see this ad.

Then yea, it would not indicate any lab. However, if it says anywhere on your transcript that there is lab with the class, then the verifiers will correct it and you'll be fine. If not I don't know what to tell you...hopefully you can send an update letter to them later on in the process explaining that.

According to AMCAS representative I spoke to, although the pdf does not indicate lab+lecture, the electronic application does. Since the electronic application is sent to medical schools, they should see "combined lecture and lab." They're not pulling my chain are they?

Also, the AMCAS verifiers did not correct this, and it wasn't listed on my transcript. Anyway, if your prediction does hold true, shouldn't I send the schools an e-mail only if they ask me why I am missing labs for physics and biology? And wouldn't this happen only if they are considering me for acceptance since I already received an interview from Umich?

Also, does nobody else make this mistake? I mean it seems to me that this type of mistake would be common given their "combined lecture and lab" checkbox.

Members don't see this ad :)
Is there a place on the application to see whether AMCAS has received your transcript from your school? Sorry if this is a repeat/stupid question - I just don't know where to look!

Is there a place on the application to see whether AMCAS has received your transcript from your school? Sorry if this is a repeat/stupid question - I just don't know where to look!

If you click on "Details" next to "Status:" on the Main Menu, there should be a place where it tells you the status of your official transcripts.

Also, AMCAS emails you when they get your transcripts, so if you see it under your details and didn't see it in your inbox, make sure AMCAS emails aren't getting sent to your spam folder!

If you click on "Details" next to "Status:" on the Main Menu, there should be a place where it tells you the status of your official transcripts.

Also, AMCAS emails you when they get your transcripts, so if you see it under your details and didn't see it in your inbox, make sure AMCAS emails aren't getting sent to your spam folder!

Thanks!

As everyone anxiously (sometimes even neurotically) goes through the cycle, just want to extend a Happy 4th folks!

Guys I have a quick question. Can I submit my AMCAS without adding any schools in it? for example, can I submit it now and then tomorrow add all the schools I am applying to?

Also, what parts of the application can I change and can't I change after I have submitted it.

Thanks appreciate this a lot!

haven't submitted AMCAS yet but plan to do so in the next day or so. I heard when initially submitting people only put one school and then add more schools after it gets verified. What is the advantage of that?

The only way I see this being useful is if you are waiting on your MCAT scores in which case you want your AMCAS to be verified but are not sure of which schools you want to apply to. That way, by the time you have your scores in your hand, your AMCAS is verified and you can add all your schools.

Other than that the only reason I see someone doing is if they need a few more days to decide which schools they want to apply to but have the rest of the AMCAS done and ready for submission.

haven't submitted AMCAS yet but plan to do so in the next day or so. I heard when initially submitting people only put one school and then add more schools after it gets verified. What is the advantage of that?

Agree, there's no reason to do that if you have your MCAT.

Merging with the AMCAS Questions Thread.

Can AMCAS be verified without receiving the LORs? My pre-med committee says it needs weeks before it can get my letter done.

Members don't see this ad :)
Can AMCAS be verified without receiving the LORs? My pre-med committee says it needs weeks before it can get my letter done.

I think every other question on here asks this. The answer is yes, LORs are part of the secondaries, not the primaries

Also, the AMCAS verifiers did not correct this, and it wasn't listed on my transcript. Anyway, if your prediction does hold true, shouldn't I send the schools an e-mail only if they ask me why I am missing labs for physics and biology? And wouldn't this happen only if they are considering me for acceptance since I already received an interview from Umich?

Also, does nobody else make this mistake? I mean it seems to me that this type of mistake would be common given their "combined lecture and lab" checkbox.

If the verifiers don't correct it, submit an academic change request explaining that it's a combined class.

I'm sure others have made the mistake before, but this is SDN, where we check everything 10 times before submitting :)

Guys I have a quick question. Can I submit my AMCAS without adding any schools in it? for example, can I submit it now and then tomorrow add all the schools I am applying to?

Also, what parts of the application can I change and can't I change after I have submitted it.

Thanks appreciate this a lot!

You have to have one school to submit the AMCAS. Some people may be uncertain which schools they want to apply to, so they'll buy time while waiting for verification.

After submission, you can only add schools, add letters (overall, and to schools), and update your contact information. That's it.

I think this question was asked in the past few pages but I'm still kind of unclear as to what the answer is exactly. If I wanted to submit a LOR after I've submitted my primaries and secondaries, what is the proper procedure for that? Should the LOR-writer send the letter out to each school individually or can it be submitted to AMCAS via AMCAS letters and they will forward it to the schools I'm applying to.

Thank you in advance!!

I've heard different things from people about future MCATs...I'm gonna get my scores July 21 or so, so I don't know if I will be taking it again or not, and I was wondering how to list this on the amcas...

Should I list the new date on there, and then if I'm happy with scores, send letters to schools telling them not to wait for new scores? Or should I submit now without the new date, and then if I need to retake, send letters to schools asking them to wait? Either way is gonna be a pain, but I'm not sure what is better for this situation...

Thanks for any advice...I'm putting the final touches and such on my statement and ec descriptions, so i'm trying to send it in within the next few days or so...

Hey, I know this is really late, and I've fallen a little behind, but can anyone point me in the right direction for people who would be willing to look at personal statements? I tried going to this other forum, and I messaged like 10 people on there, but no one responded, and I REALLY could use some input ASAP. I had some friends look this over, but I really need someone who knows exactly what they're talking about with these, and knows just what these committees are looking for so I can cut out the fat and keep what works. Thanks!

I apologize for the "noobie" question, but can we submit our primary AMCAS application without completing the LOR section? I would submit the letters after submitting the app.

I apologize for the "noobie" question, but can we submit our primary AMCAS application without completing the LOR section? I would submit the letters after submitting the app.

Yes you can (and you probably should, if your letters are not ready at this point).

Hey, I know this is really late, and I've fallen a little behind, but can anyone point me in the right direction for people who would be willing to look at personal statements? I tried going to this other forum, and I messaged like 10 people on there, but no one responded, and I REALLY could use some input ASAP. I had some friends look this over, but I really need someone who knows exactly what they're talking about with these, and knows just what these committees are looking for so I can cut out the fat and keep what works. Thanks!

Check out the PS readers list. There's a link to it in the sticky at the top of pre-allo. Try messaging some people toward the bottom of the list.

I've heard different things from people about future MCATs...I'm gonna get my scores July 21 or so, so I don't know if I will be taking it again or not, and I was wondering how to list this on the amcas...

Should I list the new date on there, and then if I'm happy with scores, send letters to schools telling them not to wait for new scores? Or should I submit now without the new date, and then if I need to retake, send letters to schools asking them to wait? Either way is gonna be a pain, but I'm not sure what is better for this situation...

Thanks for any advice...I'm putting the final touches and such on my statement and ec descriptions, so i'm trying to send it in within the next few days or so...

If you indicate that you'll be taking it again, you won't be considered complete at some schools until you actually do so. Personally, I wouldn't list another date since you don't know your scores. This might be something you want to call AMCAS about, though.

I think this question was asked in the past few pages but I'm still kind of unclear as to what the answer is exactly. If I wanted to submit a LOR after I've submitted my primaries and secondaries, what is the proper procedure for that? Should the LOR-writer send the letter out to each school individually or can it be submitted to AMCAS via AMCAS letters and they will forward it to the schools I'm applying to.

Thank you in advance!!

1. Create a new entry in AMCAS for the letter.
2. Have the writer send it to AMCAS.
3. AMCAS gets the letter.
4. Assign the letter to schools and click the submit button on AMCAS again.
5. You're done.

No real advantage unless you are "placeholding." In other words, your MCAT scores aren't in yet and you just want to get the verification process started, but don't know if you want to spend a ton of money on applying to a bunch of schools just yet.

Do we have to resubmit AMCAS once the LORs are received and uploaded?

Do we have to resubmit AMCAS once the LORs are received and uploaded?

Once your letters are there, go to the "schools" section. Click on a school, click edit, and assign your letters to that school. It will then ask you if you want to recertify and submit. Click "yes": you're done. Click "no": make sure you go back later and click the "submit" button on the main page.

Once your letters are there, go to the "schools" section. Click on a school, click edit, and assign your letters to that school. It will then ask you if you want to recertify and submit. Click "yes": you're done. Click "no": make sure you go back later and click the "submit" button on the main page.

I already assigned the letter to my schools...the letter hasn't arrived yet/has not been received yet, but I assigned the letter profile that I created to those schools. Should I undo that, since my letter isn't here yet?

I am a re-applicant for this cycle. For each medical school I designate, it asks if I have applied there previously. Does it count if it was on my AMCAS list of schools but I did not complete the secondary (and thus withdrew from consideration)?

Thanks!

I already assigned the letter to my schools...the letter hasn't arrived yet/has not been received yet, but I assigned the letter profile that I created to those schools. Should I undo that, since my letter isn't here yet?

You mean you assigned the letters, but AMCAS doesn't have them yet? If that's the case there's nothing to do but wait. I don't think you can un-assign them, and even if you could I don't see what it would accomplish. When your letters get to AMCAS, they will become available to the schools you indicated.

I am a re-applicant for this cycle. For each medical school I designate, it asks if I have applied there previously. Does it count if it was on my AMCAS list of schools but I did not complete the secondary (and thus withdrew from consideration)?

Thanks!

Probably. Check out the instruction manual for further details, or call AMCAS if you can't find it there.

You mean you assigned the letters, but AMCAS doesn't have them yet? If that's the case there's nothing to do but wait. I don't think you can un-assign them, and even if you could I don't see what it would accomplish. When your letters get to AMCAS, they will become available to the schools you indicated.

Thanks. I submitted last night. My resubmission won't affect my place in the verification line, right?

Also, my status says that my application is ready for review/was put in line for a verifier, but I already got a secondary from Columbia? Does this mean AMCAS made my application available to schools that I applied to without verification??? :confused:

Last edited:
Probably. Check out the instruction manual for further details, or call AMCAS if you can't find it there.

I've read on SDN that it counts if you've submitted AMCAS even if you haven't filled out a secondary.

Before I submit my app....what should I classify "Research Seminars in Chemistry" as under Course Work? What about Toxicology?

A few questions:

1) Once they recieve your transcripts, how long until they enter it and verify it?

2) Once you submit your application, how long until it is verified and schools will get your app?

3) And finally, can you submit your application without them having received your transcripts yet?

Any additional info will be really helpful ... thanks!!!

I'm retaking MCAT in August, so right now I'm planning to send my app. to only 1 school. My question is: will it cost more to add schools later?

Should A+ be entered as A or A+ into the application?

I'm retaking MCAT in August, so right now I'm planning to send my app. to only 1 school. My question is: will it cost more to add schools later?

it's $31 dollars per school that you send your AMCAS app to, regardless of timing.

Ah, after I submitted my application, it says "waiting for transcript" while transcript status indicates transcript "has been received." What does this mean??

I appologize if this question has already been asked:

I understand that after you submit your AMCAS and it's verified, you can still add schools. If I add a school at that point and check "combined -PHD program", do I then upload the two additional essays that come with MD/PHD?

It would be great if I could just submit everything at once, but I am hoping to get published at the end of August, and by that point I could ask for a LOE from my supervisor at my current summer internship. I don't want to wait that long for primaries, of course, but I don't want to rush the MD/PHD ones either...

I apologize if this has been asked before, but how long does it take for AMCAS to process LORs when they are received by their office?

I appologize if this question has already been asked:​

I understand that after you submit your AMCAS and it's verified, you can still add schools. If I add a school at that point and check "combined -PHD program", do I then upload the two additional essays that come with MD/PHD?​

It would be great if I could just submit everything at once, but I am hoping to get published at the end of August, and by that point I could ask for a LOE from my supervisor at my current summer internship. I don't want to wait that long for primaries, of course, but I don't want to rush the MD/PHD ones either...​

yes, once you submit with an md/phd school, you are given the space for the two other essays.

but why not just ask for that LOR now? you can always just email schools about a pub, or send them a copy of it...

I apologize if this has been asked before, but how long does it take for AMCAS to process LORs when they are received by their office?

until they're done. it depends on how many they have to do. If you do it by snail mail, it may take a couple of days to process. Since they're busy right now, I wouldn't be shocked if it took a week or two

Hello,
I am planning on submitting my AMCAS application quite soon, though I do not yet have my MCAT score (I did not take the test before). At this point I want to include the schools on my application that I would have applied to regardless of my score, though I am not sure if I will be able to freely add/remove schools once the application has been submitted and I receive my MCAT score. Basically, I'm not sure if I can change and adjust the list of schools to base them more accordingly with my MCAT score. Would I be charged any fees if I did this? Thanks in advance.

you can add but you can't remove schools after you submit!

I see. So I will be charged the application fees for all of the schools that I select initially on the application, correct? And there are no fees for changing the application in order to add more schools? Thanks again.

I see. So I will be charged the application fees for all of the schools that I select initially on the application, correct? And there are no fees for changing the application in order to add more schools? Thanks again.

There are still fees when you add schools. Like 30 bucks per school. So even if you decide not to submit the secondary after you've submitted a primary, you're still out a little dough.

If I've indicated a LOR for all my schools, but fulfill the minimum # of LOR's of each type without that LOR, will I still not be considered complete? In other words, if a major letter writer falls through or submits late, is there any way to tell the schools to ignore it and use the other letters if they meet the minimum requirements?

Let me know if this needs more clarification.

Status
Not open for further replies.