2008 (Fall 2009) SUNY Buffalo Interview/Acceptance Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
did they ask a lot of healthcare issues? i'm kind of nervous because i don't have much pharm experience (3 mos at CVS and a month in Africa).. so when i saw the interview feedback questions (what ethical violation did u face.. healthcare current events) i'm not 100% confident... can someone please give me some examples.. i hope the essays questions are like this either.. am i worrying too much??
For me, their interview questions were not anything like the questions that were on the interview feedback forms. I don't really think I got what I believe to be a standard question (Tell me about yourself, why pharmacy, etc.). Just remember to always put a positive spin on your answer. Here are a couple of examples of what I had.
- What was a bad roommate experience that you had?
- When was a time that you had a choice to make that had the chance of putting you in a bad light with a person and what did you do?
- Tell us about your volunteer work and a negative experience that you had with it?

As you can see a lot of those really make you have to put a positive spin on it, so just practice that kind of thing with a friend.

Members don't see this ad.

For me, their interview questions were not anything like the questions that were on the interview feedback forms. I don't really think I got what I believe to be a standard question (Tell me about yourself, why pharmacy, etc.). Just remember to always put a positive spin on your answer. Here are a couple of examples of what I had.
- What was a bad roommate experience that you had?
- When was a time that you had a choice to make that had the chance of putting you in a bad light with a person and what did you do?
- Tell us about your volunteer work and a negative experience that you had with it?

As you can see a lot of those really make you have to put a positive spin on it, so just practice that kind of thing with a friend.

Thank you for posting those questions!

read CNN.com health section. you should know ethical issues on Plan B, HIPAA, refusing to dispense, counseling. These are all keys and have been in the past.

Members don't see this ad :)
Well I interviewed on 2/13, and they sent me the offer of admission on 2/16. It was unbelievable. I canceled all of my other interviews that day, I was so happy.

Interview questions included:
1. Besides community and clinical pharmacy, what other opportunities do you know of for pharmacists?
2. If you could interview any one person, who would it be?
3. What sort of things have you noticed in the news related to pharmacy?
4. Talk about a conflict you encountered and how did you handle it.

Stats: -3.51 cumulative GPA
-85 on PCAT
- Several extra curricular activities
- I lack technician experience, but I do have other exposure to the field.

Other schools:
LECOM-Erie = interview offered, declined
Thomas Jefferson= interview offered, declined
Campbell University= interview offered, declined
St. John Fisher= interview offered, declined

Thank you. Was there any question from HIPAA?

Well I interviewed on 2/13, and they sent me the offer of admission on 2/16. It was unbelievable. I canceled all of my other interviews that day, I was so happy.

Interview questions included:
1. Besides community and clinical pharmacy, what other opportunities do you know of for pharmacists?
2. If you could interview any one person, who would it be?
3. What sort of things have you noticed in the news related to pharmacy?
4. Talk about a conflict you encountered and how did you handle it.

Stats: -3.51 cumulative GPA
-85 on PCAT
- Several extra curricular activities
- I lack technician experience, but I do have other exposure to the field.

Other schools:
LECOM-Erie = interview offered, declined
Thomas Jefferson= interview offered, declined
Campbell University= interview offered, declined
St. John Fisher= interview offered, declined

Thank you. Was there any question from HIPAA?

Personally I didn't have any questions pertaining to HIPAA. However, there was a group activity that required a little knowledge about HIPAA. We were given one of those ethical dilemma situations and asked to talk amongst ourselves and later present our group's views on the matter.

First off I would like to say congratulations to everyone that has been accepted to UB so far :)

Next, I am in need of some advice. I applied to 9 schools this application cycle, with UB being my top choice from the very beginning. I submitted my application early, have a good PCAT, research, ECs, good LORs, experience, etc. I was waitlisted at UB in October. Since then, I've heard back from every other school that I've applied to, and have gotten interviews everywhere. If I had applied to schools that aren't as competitive as UB I would understand my situation, but I am honestly at a loss. I realize that my GPA may be holding me back, but I am told over and over again that UB looks at an applicant with a "holistic" approach. I know there isn't much I can do at this point, and I'm getting so tired of waiting for them. I was told that the earliest I would hear back is April, when they are done interviewing everyone else..but I could be waiting well into the summer. I'm so fed up. Anyone have any advice? I've tried going to see Dr. Hess, but all I hear from her is that I basically have no chance..but if I had no chance, wouldn't they have rejected me from the beginning??
I apoligize for such a long post, I just don't know what to do.:(

1- for my UB friends do you know much about the cost of living in buffalo and the best and safest neighborhoods to find a good place, the parts we should really look at and the parts we should avoid?

2- what about intern jobs and availability, how much do they pay and are they readily available?

3- can you comment on the IPPE program?

First off I would like to say congratulations to everyone that has been accepted to UB so far :)

Next, I am in need of some advice. I applied to 9 schools this application cycle, with UB being my top choice from the very beginning. I submitted my application early, have a good PCAT, research, ECs, good LORs, experience, etc. I was waitlisted at UB in October. Since then, I've heard back from every other school that I've applied to, and have gotten interviews everywhere. If I had applied to schools that aren't as competitive as UB I would understand my situation, but I am honestly at a loss. I realize that my GPA may be holding me back, but I am told over and over again that UB looks at an applicant with a "holistic" approach. I know there isn't much I can do at this point, and I'm getting so tired of waiting for them. I was told that the earliest I would hear back is April, when they are done interviewing everyone else..but I could be waiting well into the summer. I'm so fed up. Anyone have any advice? I've tried going to see Dr. Hess, but all I hear from her is that I basically have no chance..but if I had no chance, wouldn't they have rejected me from the beginning??

I dont know why they would waitlist you without an interview. I know of somebody who has been waitlisted after being interviewed so I really dont know on what basis they do that. April is a little ways away, and I'm pretty sure you've paid some deposits to reserve your spot, so you can wait on UB if you really want it. I dont know how that would affect your FAFSA application so you can fid that out. So I guess my advice is to wait on UB and continue working with your #2 choice (MIchigan?). You can always go to UB if they accept you later on in the year.
Good luck to you.

I'm in a little bit of a quandary myself. UB was my first choice to begin with, and I also have an offer from Erie, which is a 3 year program, as well as an offer from Cincinnati, my home school. I have already sent in my deposit for UB, and I'm yet to mail a deposit to Cincinnati, but the 3yr program sounds soooo appealing. I'm 25 by the way. Any advice for me too would be very appreciated. Whenever I seem to make my mind something seems to sway it to another option.

I dont know why they would waitlist you without an interview. I know of somebody who has been waitlisted after being interviewed so I really dont know on what basis they do that. April is a little ways away, and I'm pretty sure you've paid some deposits to reserve your spot, so you can wait on UB if you really want it. I dont know how that would affect your FAFSA application so you can fid that out. So I guess my advice is to wait on UB and continue working with your #2 choice (MIchigan?). You can always go to UB if they accept you later on in the year.
Good luck to you.

I'm in a little bit of a quandary myself. UB was my first choice to begin with, and I also have an offer from Erie, which is a 3 year program, as well as an offer from Cincinnati, my home school. I have already sent in my deposit for UB, and I'm yet to mail a deposit to Cincinnati, but the 3yr program sounds soooo appealing. I'm 25 by the way. Any advice for me too would be very appreciated. Whenever I seem to make my mind something seems to sway it to another option.

That is tough. I'm 24, and that 3 year program was appealing to me as well..but I didn't want to spend three years in school all year round, and I didn't love Erie when I interviewed there. Did you like it?

I think your choice of school should ultimately depend on what your personal goals are. If you're from Ohio, you would get in-state tuition, right? If you plan on starting a family sometime soon -- where would you like to reside? I think if you plan on practicing in Ohio, it would be smart to stay there (just a personal opinion).

Did you like Buffalo when you came for your interview? I feel like it's a very particular type of city, you either love it or hate it.

Sorry I can't be too much of a help, like I said above, I think it really depends on what your personal goals are. Write out what they are, and then try to match up a school that would be most conducive to those goals.

Hope that helps a little :)

I feel your pain!!! UB makes me very angry considering that I will have 2 degrees from there and they flat out tell us that we "probably won't get in" I'm already planning that I won't get in so when I don't it will be much easier than getting my hopes up haha. ;) Either way I'm gonna make plans to attend Nova (if I get accepted still waiting after my interview) and if UB calls me after then I will see where I'm at from there. It does make me mad that we could be waiting until like August, at which point we will already be attending another school. Oh well, let me know if you hear anything, where are you planning on going if UB doesn't work out? good luck, keep your chin up!! :)

I feel your pain!!! UB makes me very angry considering that I will have 2 degrees from there and they flat out tell us that we "probably won't get in" I'm already planning that I won't get in so when I don't it will be much easier than getting my hopes up haha. ;) Either way I'm gonna make plans to attend Nova (if I get accepted still waiting after my interview) and if UB calls me after then I will see where I'm at from there. It does make me mad that we could be waiting until like August, at which point we will already be attending another school. Oh well, let me know if you hear anything, where are you planning on going if UB doesn't work out? good luck, keep your chin up!! :)

Grr..how frustrating. You'd think they'd have some loyalty, we've already invested so much time and money into the school! Between the 2 of us, we'll have 4 degrees from that school, all they have to do is give 2 spots! It doesn't seem fair :(
But Nova! That's amazing, from Buffalo to Florida -- that would be a wonderful change of scenery :)
I submitted my deposit to SJF, and the Michigan deposit isn't due until May, so I'll keep waiting..but this is soooooooo frustrating.

But quick question for you-- you were told you didn't have a good chance of getting in either?? How odd! What is going on with that school???

Grr..how frustrating. You'd think they'd have some loyalty, we've already invested so much time and money into the school! Between the 2 of us, we'll have 4 degrees from that school, all they have to do is give 2 spots! It doesn't seem fair :(
But Nova! That's amazing, from Buffalo to Florida -- that would be a wonderful change of scenery :)
I submitted my deposit to SJF, and the Michigan deposit isn't due until May, so I'll keep waiting..but this is soooooooo frustrating.

But quick question for you-- you were told you didn't have a good chance of getting in either?? How odd! What is going on with that school???

Yup! Jennifer Hess told me last semester that I most likely won't be accepted so she said that if I get in somewhere else to just go and basically not wait for UB to take me. I mean she said it in the nicest way possible -- if theres a nice way to say that but it still made me sad. UB is nuts, I feel like they want to take everyone who's not from Buffalo into that pharmacy school or any of the health professional schools, they go out of their way to get people from all over the place to come there but then they don't favor alumnus at all or people who are from the area. At this point I just think that if UB doesn't want me then I will go to a school that actually does want me.
I just had my interview at St. John Fisher this morning. I had never been there before it was a cute little school, but given a choice between there and florida, I will most likely take the big jump down south.

Members don't see this ad :)
I understand all of the frustration with the waitlist process, but don't lose hope entirely. A good friend of mine was on the waitlist until late July, after he had already put down deposits on other schools. He eventually was accepted to UB, as were many other people on the waitlist.

The reason why UB has such an extensive waitlist is to allow the prospective early-assurance applicants to have a spot. There are a limited number of seats in the program, which are guaranteed to go to the early-assurance candidates (if they meet the requirements). Many of the early-assurance types are very borderline, so the school can't release any of the spots until they know for sure. At this point, you have to decide whether losing the deposits on other schools is worth taking the chance of getting taken off the waitlist (which is not as bad a situation as you think it is). If UB is truly where you want to go and think you belong, then the $1,000 you'll lose in deposits is not all that much in the long run.

That is tough. I'm 24, and that 3 year program was appealing to me as well..but I didn't want to spend three years in school all year round, and I didn't love Erie when I interviewed there. Did you like it?

I think your choice of school should ultimately depend on what your personal goals are. If you're from Ohio, you would get in-state tuition, right? If you plan on starting a family sometime soon -- where would you like to reside? I think if you plan on practicing in Ohio, it would be smart to stay there (just a personal opinion).

Did you like Buffalo when you came for your interview? I feel like it's a very particular type of city, you either love it or hate it.

Sorry I can't be too much of a help, like I said above, I think it really depends on what your personal goals are. Write out what they are, and then try to match up a school that would be most conducive to those goals.

Hope that helps a little :)

Helps a little. I liked Buffalo, granted I didnt spend a lot of time there, but I really liked the school. As far as future plans go I havent made up my mind on that. The short term is to just get in and make the most of wherever I'm at. I guess I've made up my mind about it (it's gonna be UB) just need a reassurance that it's a great choice from another perspective, as silly as that sounds.

Helps a little. I liked Buffalo, granted I didnt spend a lot of time there, but I really liked the school. As far as future plans go I havent made up my mind on that. The short term is to just get in and make the most of wherever I'm at. I guess I've made up my mind about it (it's gonna be UB) just need a reassurance that it's a great choice from another perspective, as silly as that sounds.

I think it's a good choice. Buffalo is a nice city with very friendly people. We have Niagara Falls, Canada is only 15 minutes away, and Toronto is only 1.5 hours away! The school is nice too..pretty big and takes some getting used to, but I have no doubt you will love it :) Congrats on making the big decision, I don't think you'll regret it!!

Yup! Jennifer Hess told me last semester that I most likely won't be accepted so she said that if I get in somewhere else to just go and basically not wait for UB to take me. I mean she said it in the nicest way possible -- if theres a nice way to say that but it still made me sad. UB is nuts, I feel like they want to take everyone who's not from Buffalo into that pharmacy school or any of the health professional schools, they go out of their way to get people from all over the place to come there but then they don't favor alumnus at all or people who are from the area. At this point I just think that if UB doesn't want me then I will go to a school that actually does want me.
I just had my interview at St. John Fisher this morning. I had never been there before it was a cute little school, but given a choice between there and florida, I will most likely take the big jump down south.

At least you will be warm :)

See, here is where people are wrong about UB Pharmacy. UB Pharmacy takes in upwards of 75% New York residents every year, a majority of them from Western New York. I see no evidence of preferential treatment for out of staters or international students in that.

On the pharmacy website they post the statistics of each class: Here

I felt exactly the way you do now- my numbers weren't great- but I had heart, determination and I knew for a fact I wanted UB.

Hang in there.

See, here is where people are wrong about UB Pharmacy. UB Pharmacy takes in upwards of 75% New York residents every year, a majority of them from Western New York. I see no evidence of preferential treatment for out of staters or international students in that.

I felt exactly the way you do now- my numbers weren't great- but I had heart, determination and I knew for a fact I wanted UB.

Hang in there.

agreed. local guy right here and a majority of my friends are indeed local. I feel they look for an all around candidate. My science GPA barely met their minimal requirement, but if you put together a good rest of your application, then grades are not the only thing. I am by no means struggling either.

unfortunately, if your on the wait list there is a chance. Don't throw your career down the drain by waiting to hear from the school though. I do recommend the school highly and am glad that I didn't go anywhere else. I have talked to a few people from other schools (I won't name them) who I thought had a few holes in their curriculum compared to UB. As many others said, the early assurance people get ALOT of the seats, and it depends on them whether or not there is a wait list and how long it is. Have faith, the school is great, while it has a national and international student base in the pharmacy school, there is definately a majority that are local students

agreed. local guy right here and a majority of my friends are indeed local. I feel they look for an all around candidate. My science GPA barely met their minimal requirement, but if you put together a good rest of your application, then grades are not the only thing. I am by no means struggling either.

unfortunately, if your on the wait list there is a chance. Don't throw your career down the drain by waiting to hear from the school though. I do recommend the school highly and am glad that I didn't go anywhere else. I have talked to a few people from other schools (I won't name them) who I thought had a few holes in their curriculum compared to UB. As many others said, the early assurance people get ALOT of the seats, and it depends on them whether or not there is a wait list and how long it is. Have faith, the school is great, while it has a national and international student base in the pharmacy school, there is definately a majority that are local students

I understand where everyone is coming from and its nice that you are all offering advice and encouragement. I too am local, born and raised here. I guess I just have a different opinion about UB than everyone else. I'm not trying to be mean or bitter but I guess I should explain my frustration:

This is where I'm at right now: got my BS in Biochemical Pharmacology and will have my Master of Public Health in May BOTH from UB. My BS GPA was 3.0 and my graduate GPA is 3.75. I've worked in a pharmacy for a year, I've volunteered at Roswell in one of their pharmacies for a few months, I have numerous other volunteering extracurriculars and a 240 hr unpaid internship as an epidemiologist. PCAT compo 82... currently waitlisted (before interview) at UB

I'm 26 yrs old and I'm frustrated because I feel like the only other thing I can do for UB is stand on my head, juggle fireballs and knives and get a PhD and even then admissions will still look me in the eye and tell me, as they have for the last 6 years that I've been pursuing this, that I'm not good enough for their program. I guess it's just the bluntness and sheer lack of encouragement that I get from admissions everytime I've gone in there no matter who I talk to.

Just to comment on the the "student body profile link above" as someone previously suggested --> I see that 36% of the incoming students only have 2 yrs of college OR LESS. -- That right there is why I'm upset, and you would be to if you were me!!!

Wheres the love UB??:eek:

Sorry to be debbie downer and I'm not trying to be mean or spiteful to people on here or people in pharmacy school at UB by any means, I respect you all and I know how hard you work at getting in and being a student there, but I just thought that since people were commenting on what I said previously I should let them know where I'm coming from.

Good luck to everyone, I hope no one takes my comments the wrong way- just letting you know where I'm coming from. :)

Just to comment on the the "student body profile link above" as someone previously suggested --> I see that 36% of the incoming students only have 2 yrs of college OR LESS. -- That right there is why I'm upset, and you would be to if you were me!!!

I understand you completely, it must be incredibly frustrating to be in your position. Keep in mind that this 36% is very skewed. Each admitted class has roughly 30-40 students who were accepted through the early assurance program, and that makes up the vast majority (if not all) of that 36%. There are only one or two students per class who get accepted without a four year degree from outside of the early assurance pool.

So don't lose faith! You seem like you're very qualified and determined, and those are two very good qualities to have.

I understand where everyone is coming from and its nice that you are all offering advice and encouragement. I too am local, born and raised here. I guess I just have a different opinion about UB than everyone else. I'm not trying to be mean or bitter but I guess I should explain my frustration:

This is where I'm at right now: got my BS in Biochemical Pharmacology and will have my Master of Public Health in May BOTH from UB. My BS GPA was 3.0 and my graduate GPA is 3.75. I've worked in a pharmacy for a year, I've volunteered at Roswell in one of their pharmacies for a few months, I have numerous other volunteering extracurriculars and a 240 hr unpaid internship as an epidemiologist. PCAT compo 82... currently waitlisted (before interview) at UB

I'm 26 yrs old and I'm frustrated because I feel like the only other thing I can do for UB is stand on my head, juggle fireballs and knives and get a PhD and even then admissions will still look me in the eye and tell me, as they have for the last 6 years that I've been pursuing this, that I'm not good enough for their program. I guess it's just the bluntness and sheer lack of encouragement that I get from admissions everytime I've gone in there no matter who I talk to.

Wheres the love UB??:eek:

Sorry to be debbie downer and I'm not trying to be mean or spiteful to people on here or people in pharmacy school at UB by any means, I respect you all and I know how hard you work at getting in and being a student there, but I just thought that since people were commenting on what I said previously I should let them know where I'm coming from.

Good luck to everyone, I hope no one takes my comments the wrong way- just letting you know where I'm coming from. :)

It is nice that everyone is saying nice things about UB, and I also understand what people are saying..that numbers are skewed, they look at the overall applicant..etc. etc.
You and I are pretty much in the same exact situation. But I'm almost more angry about your situation. I was told that I am on the waitlist because my graduate GPA does not meet the minimum graduate GPA requirement of 3.75 (which is a number that I think is crazy in itself) You have that!!! I don't know..maybe I am just a huge skeptic, but something just seems off. It seems like everyone is told different facts, and the people that are there to help you are not much help at all.
Gr..the worst part is the only thing we can do is wait. But at least we were accepted at other schools and we WILL be pharmacists..just not necessarily out of UB.

And just to clarify..I'm also not bashing UB in any way..I've been at the school for 6 years and would love to go the the pharmacy school, this whole process is just really, really stressful :)

They waitlisted me w/o an interview as well, even though my stats are mostly in the competitive range

UB is my number 1 choice and I was waitlisted after my interview on 2/13. Now I am just hoping for the best and if UB doesn't come through, I'll just have to settle for my back up school.
But I reeaaalllyy want UB :xf:.
Good Luck to all the waitlisters and Congrats to those who were accepted.

Alenadoma, KristaMPH, RxHopeful, and anyone else on the wait list:

I feel your pain.

My personal situation was very similar in that I was a UB undergrad wait listed w/o an interview early on... then accepted to other schools... was enrolled there... then I get a call over that summer asking me for an interview. They said some spots had opened up...

My initial reaction was anger, surprisingly enough. My parents had to convince me to go to the interview. I wanted nothing to do with it- I was tired of the admissions game. Another school wanted me outright, no wait list, no waiting, no mid-summer phone call to drive 6hrs to interview for a spot I still might not get.

I went to the interview and was accepted within a week. I mulled over it for a few days and accepted the invite... One of the hardest phone calls that I've ever made was to the assistant dean of the school that I had enrolled in to withdraw.

The wait list at UB is a little different than most. We tend to get a lot of competetive applicants on the front end that get accepted, that accept their invitation (as well as other schools') with no intention to go here. When admissions calls them in May and June to check up with them they find that the students have decided to go elsewhere.

Many spots open up that way- people accepting their offers even though they intend to go elsewhere. Its an act of security, and I understand that, but it is because of this that there are many talented people waitlisted for UB Pharmacy. I am confident that most of you on the waitlist will be interviewed at some point in the late spring/summer timeframe. It's inconvenient. I didn't like it, but for now that is how it works.

If you have any questions about my experience or anything pharmacy related feel free to ask.

its sad..i have not even heard ANYTHING from the admissions office.

I called and asked them and they said they are still reviewing my applications and that they still have interviews throughout april...

but at this point...i really dont know....and i really dont like how schools make you wait till the VERYYYYYY end...

oh well...i guess this comes along with the application process!

its sad..i have not even heard ANYTHING from the admissions office.

I called and asked them and they said they are still reviewing my applications and that they still have interviews throughout april...

but at this point...i really dont know....and i really dont like how schools make you wait till the VERYYYYYY end...

oh well...i guess this comes along with the application process!

Yea, I still haven't heard anything from besides the status update on PharmCAS.

Yep, I'm pretty sure my class is 90% from NY...1/3 are early assurance too who went to UB.

Hang in there.

This really shocks me that they wait listed you even before an interview! Those are some nice credentials!! I suppose the BS gpa and the pcat are a bit low but all the other experience really should make up for it! Good luck, I hope you get a shot! They're likely to get over 2000 apps this year so it's just getting ridiculously competitive!

Wow, I just received an invitation for an interview! It completely caught me by surprise since I was also waitlisted before an interview and wrote them off long long time ago. :)

Wow, I just received an invitation for an interview! It completely caught me by surprise since I was also waitlisted before an interview and wrote them off long long time ago. :)

ah..wow, congratulations!! I'll be praying for one toooo...ahhh
can you share your stats??

so they are still inviting people for interviews?

YAY!

Honestly, they are going to give me an ulcer.

When is your interview?

I got accepted to UB!!! I love the school but buffalo seems so dead and boring even outside of campus.. maybe I just thought that way bc it was raining?

Did anyone from last week's interview (Feb 27th) hear back yet?

I got accepted to UB!!! I love the school but buffalo seems so dead and boring even outside of campus.. maybe I just thought that way bc it was raining?

Did anyone from last week's interview (Feb 27th) hear back yet?

omg! congrats!!!:laugh:
i told you you would get in!
so jealous!!! LOL!
is your bf worried now?:D

r u interviewing anywhere else?

3/27 should be the next interview date, although I'm not sure if there is another date in between now and then.

i'm still interviewing at vcu but cancelling my interview with mercer.

yeah, my bf is a lil worried.. he's hoping for me to go to vcu~

thanks for the congrats!

Hey, for those that are currently buffalo students, I was wondering if you could impart some knowledge regarding off campus housing. I just received a call from buffalo telling me that all 1 bedroom apartments are filled, which leaves me with either rooming with randoms or moving off campus (which in this case, i prefer to do). Do you guys have any suggestions as to a nice complex near north campus I can look into? I've been looking at sweet home villlage, which looks awesome but kinda pricey.

I got an interview invite today from UB! I'll be there 3/20. Flying all the way from CA :eek:

I'll let you guys know how it goes! My very first interview invite!!!

i'm still interviewing at vcu but cancelling my interview with mercer.

yeah, my bf is a lil worried.. he's hoping for me to go to vcu~

thanks for the congrats!

:) hey shan10.

yeah, i would be worried too... lol.
hopefully i can see you at ub or vcu!:xf:
just got interview invite at midwestern.:laugh:
i feel a little relieved now. but still... beter get to work!
should i dress a little different this time? or should i still wear black all the way? i do like looking conservative.

btw, when r u scheduled at vcu?

Anyone with 3/20 interview wanna share a room? I'm thinking of staying thursday, friday nights and leaving saturday.

I'm a little confused about the tuition for this school. It seems like the cost jumped by quite a bit in 2 years. According to http://www.aacp.org/resources/student/pharmacyforyou/admissions/Documents/PSARTable11.pdf the school costs $6218 for first year tuition in 2008-9. However, according to the website, the price jumped to $14375 for out of state for 2009-2010

Anyone else notice this? I would love it if the actual price is only $6218

I got an interview invite today from UB! I'll be there 3/20. Flying all the way from CA :eek:

I'll let you guys know how it goes! My very first interview invite!!!

Same, got one yesterday for 3/27

I'm a little confused about the tuition for this school. It seems like the cost jumped by quite a bit in 2 years. According to http://www.aacp.org/resources/student/pharmacyforyou/admissions/Documents/PSARTable11.pdf the school costs $6218 for first year tuition in 2008-9. However, according to the website, the price jumped to $14375 for out of state for 2009-2010

Anyone else notice this? I would love it if the actual price is only $6218

For financial aid purposes, you are considered an undergraduate for your first year. This page lays out that basic process: http://www.pharmacy.buffalo.edu/admissions_pharmd_costs.shtml

Current year information for undergrad tuition is here: http://src.buffalo.edu/financialaid/undergradcost.shtml

And after your first year, you would fall into the information here: http://src.buffalo.edu/financialaid/pharmcost.shtml

UB is part of the SUNY system, which is New York's public university system, so that is why out-of-state students have to fork over a lot more cash. Most pharmacy students can qualify for in-state tuition after their first year. Unless you are a resident of NY though, for the first year you will have to pay an additional $7000 or so.

Hey, for those that are currently buffalo students, I was wondering if you could impart some knowledge regarding off campus housing. I just received a call from buffalo telling me that all 1 bedroom apartments are filled, which leaves me with either rooming with randoms or moving off campus (which in this case, i prefer to do). Do you guys have any suggestions as to a nice complex near north campus I can look into? I've been looking at sweet home villlage, which looks awesome but kinda pricey.

Not sure how old you are, but a lot of undergrads live at Sweet Home. I have some friends that live in the Colony (colonie?) apartments right near UB, seems like thats where the graduate/older students live. You can also look into Flickinger Court, also very close to UB. Both are really nice!

I was also looking at Sweet Home until I came across this:

http://www.apartmentratings.com/rate/NY-Buffalo-University-Village-at-Sweet-Home.html

Do current UB students know if this has changed. I'm also looking for a place and hopefully I can get another pharm person (s).

I'd say that those rankings aren't very far from the truth. The vast majority of people that live in Sweethome are your freshman/sophomore undergrad party crew. However, if you're the type of person who doesn't mind a loud environment (or if you make a lot of noise yourself) it wouldn't be the worst place to live.

I never minded the noise too much, my issue was more with the cost involved. Based on what I've heard (and seen) from my friends who have lived there, maintenance is almost non-existent. The gym and other amenities are decently nice, but not nice enough to justify the cost. If you're looking for stuff like that, Alumni Arena at UB has everything you could possibly want.

If you're looking to live pretty close to campus, look into Amherst Manor apartments. It's pretty inexpensive, and the majority of people that live there are your graduate students/young couple types. I know a few people that live there, and I haven't heard anything other than a few minor complaints.

I lived in Copley Court for 3 years during undergrad. Its pretty decent. On the corner of Millersport and Flint... doesn't get much closer than that to north campus. :)