2008 (Fall 2009) SUNY Buffalo Interview/Acceptance Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Arsenal -- who were your interviewers last week?
I had Dr Slazak and Dr Scherer. They were awesome! I'm hoping I'm still being looked at by them, I really want UB badly. How about yourself?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I had Dr Slazak and Dr Scherer. They were awesome! I'm hoping I'm still being looked at by them, I really want UB badly. How about yourself?

I had Dr. Fiebelkorn and a lady who's name I can't remember! I sknow she had 2 last names..hm. I'm hoping they're still looking at our files too..

Ok :) Was just wondering!!

Hey alena, did you interview at lecom Erie? I'd you not like the school? I have an interview coming up and I still can't decide if I wanna go to UB or Erie's 3 year program

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey alena, did you interview at lecom Erie? I'd you not like the school? I have an interview coming up and I still can't decide if I wanna go to UB or Erie's 3 year program

Hey -- yeah, I interviewed at Erie. I guess it depends on what kind of schedule you want. At first I was intrigued by the 3-year year-round program, but then after hearing more about it I decided I want the traditional pharmacy school experience. It's a pretty cool school, the facilities are nice and it's only professional students there. I just personally prefer a larger institution with more opportunities for research.
To each their own :)
The interviews are similar to UB's, 2-on-1, and relatively laid back. Let me know if you have any more questions!

Haha yah I remember I was in the same group. I was the one with the brown suit, cracked jokes in our group skit. Haha, I'm so pumped for you good stuff man! I'm still waitin over here but I hope I get something back.

What do you guys mean by group project/skit thing? We never had to do anything like that last year...

I had Dr. Fiebelkorn and a lady who's name I can't remember! I sknow she had 2 last names..hm. I'm hoping they're still looking at our files too..

Ok :) Was just wondering!!

That would probably be Nicole Paolini Albanese.

Professor Fiebelkorn is a good guy...just spent a day with him in Albany lobbying bills to senators! It was a crazy day!

:confused:
That would probably be Nicole Paolini Albanese.

Professor Fiebelkorn is a good guy...just spent a day with him in Albany lobbying bills to senators! It was a crazy day!

Wow! He seems so involved in everything. A pharmacist I work with went to immunization training that he held in Rochester last weekend.

No, it wasn't Nicole Paolini, it was a lady who is an alum. She doesn't work at UB. I can't believe I don't remember her name, but she was very nice.

About the group projects: Each of the groups were divided into 2 groups for this portion of the interview. Each of the 2 groups were then given a scenario, and we were to figure out how we would deal with this scenario.

Anyway, no news today -- I know they had a couple people interviewing, but I keep trying to guess what this means. Has anyone been waitlisted or rejected after the March 27th interview? I know post don't usually post their rejections, I'm just trying to figure out where I stand. It's hard for me to believe that the interviewers still haven't decided?
But then again..if professor Fiebelkorn is so busy, that may be the case.
I don't know...so worried:confused: ...but also happy I haven't received bad news yet.

I was talking with admissions yesterday and they're still calling people from interviews on the 20th to find out if they're accepting or not. That's why it's taking a while, plus the group on the 27th was rather large. Waitlist letters are going out around next week, so whatever happens you should hear something by then.

Has anyone heard anything new from Buffalo this week?

Not me -- patiently waiting.

Last edited:
anyone hear anything? Is this strange or is it just me?

posted a few minutes early...

Waitlisted , again...

wow, they love to torture me.

at least it's not a rejection

Members don't see this ad :)
posted a few minutes early...

Waitlisted , again...

wow, they love to torture me.

at least it's not a rejection

I'm sorry! :( at least they invite most of the waitlist and you will get a spot soon.

I'm waitlisted, but I'm pretty confident. They told me on the phone they had to go through the final list of people this week and I wouldn't be surprised if they take people off because accepted people don't respond.

I'm waitlisted, but I'm pretty confident. They told me on the phone they had to go through the final list of people this week and I wouldn't be surprised if they take people off because accepted people don't respond.

I'm glad you're confident.
I'm pretty upset, but..not much I can do :(

Did they say anything about how many people on the wait list or how many usually get in?

I'm glad you're confident.
I'm pretty upset, but..not much I can do :(

Did they say anything about how many people on the wait list or how many usually get in?
They said the number on the waitlist varies, but all they told me is they narrowed their decision down to their final acceptees and their final wait list. I think you have a great chance, believe it or not I think a lot of people like from Cali arent going to go here and spots WILL open up. Keep believing

They said the number on the waitlist varies, but all they told me is they narrowed their decision down to their final acceptees and their final wait list. I think you have a great chance, believe it or not I think a lot of people like from Cali arent going to go here and spots WILL open up. Keep believing

So what about people on the waitlist who havent been interviewed yet. I wonder if interviewed waitlist candidates are selected first before those who are just waitlisted and still need to be interviewed. If thats the case then my chances look pretty slim.

I never heard of people getting waitlisted here without getting interviewed..

So what about people on the waitlist who havent been interviewed yet. I wonder if interviewed waitlist candidates are selected first before those who are just waitlisted and still need to be interviewed. If thats the case then my chances look pretty slim.

I was waitlisted before an interview, was taken off the pre-interview wait list, interviewed and placed on the post-interview waitlist.
They will still look over your files and may interview you in the summer.

Yea there definitely are people who get waitlisted without an interview. If they get an interview it's usually during the summer. Spots are pretty full right now so they're really waiting on acceptances (or drops). There are usually drops during the process so don't give up just yet. Could take a while though if people are still looking at different schools and haven't heard back.

So there are separate waitlists for those interviewed and those that have not been. If that's the case I bet they send out acceptances to everyone whose been interviewed first. Hmmm I'll keep my fingers crossed.

So there are separate waitlists for those interviewed and those that have not been. If that's the case I bet they send out acceptances to everyone whose been interviewed first. Hmmm I'll keep my fingers crossed.

I'm not sure who has preference, but there are definitely two different lists. I know how you feel though, I was waitlisted from October - March before an interview and got waitlisted again after the interview last week. Hopefully so many spots will open up that we will all get in:thumbup:

On another note, it seems like UB popularity has dropped off..but hardly anyone has posted rejections. Did all these people get accepted?

Last edited:
I posted the same in the wait list thread...

The wait list is not ranked- They'll interview people from the non-interviewed list to get a good ground of people for consideration for the newly opened spots in a couple months

i'm so ridiculously pumped to start in september that i came online to SDN to post this.

WOOOOOOOOOOOO:banana:

any canadian students here? (highly doubt this lol)

Hey.. congrats on getting accepted aleem. I'm also Canadian. I'm on the waitlist for Buffalo... for now atleast.

I've been waitlisted from the interview in February, and I've called them about 2 weeks ago asking if they have pulled anyone off the waitlist yet and they said no. Then I e-mailed them a few days ago and they haven't responded. I can't take this wait any longer!!! :scared: I leave my e-mail on 24/7 hoping I get something from them. lol. When this is over, I hope I have the energy to celebrate.

If anyone was pulled off the waitlist, kindly post and let us know!! Thankx!
And to the fellow waitlisted ppl, hang in there!:)

i'm so ridiculously pumped to start in september that i came online to SDN to post this.

WOOOOOOOOOOOO:banana:

any canadian students here? (highly doubt this lol)

hey are you one of the Canadians that interviewed on march 27th? there were 4 Canadians there that I know of

hey are you one of the Canadians that interviewed on march 27th? there were 4 Canadians there that I know of

lol I'll answer for him.

yes he was, he was in my group!

Just a bit of an update --

There are 30 people on the waitlist all together (including pre-interview and post-interview). 15 people have not yet responded to wait list offers.
If they do respond..45 spots seems kind of like a lot, there can't possibly be that much movement, can there?

Well last year most of the wait listers were eventually admitted. Anyway, anyone else having trouble registering for classes? I can't even find pharmaceutical calculations in the class lookup

I was able to register for about half of the required courses from the block schedule. The other half tells me that i don't have the pre-reqs fulfilled. is this happening to you, too?

Do you know when they will do the "force registration" thing? And we don't register for any of the electives, right? They are included on that block schedule thing, but i don't think we register for them....but correct me if i am wrong!

Yeah if i recall, that happened to me too...in my case, my record hadn't been updated yet. If you can't get into something, it's no big deal, they'll eventually force you in. They tell you not to register for electives because you may not be waived from classes, but I did anyways. I registered for the Pathophysiology course because I knew for sure I was waived from Phys 1 and 2.

I was able to register for about half of the required courses from the block schedule. The other half tells me that i don't have the pre-reqs fulfilled. is this happening to you, too?

Do you know when they will do the "force registration" thing? And we don't register for any of the electives, right? They are included on that block schedule thing, but i don't think we register for them....but correct me if i am wrong!

There are 30 people on the waitlist all together (including pre-interview and post-interview). 15 people have not yet responded to wait list offers.
If they do respond..45 spots seems kind of like a lot, there can't possibly be that much movement, can there?

do you know how full the class is? When do people have to start committing or sending deposits after acceptance-- meaning when am I possibly going to be interviewed lol ? :scared: cripes!

I'm in the same situation - all transfer students, as they did not complete o-chem at UB, won't be able to register for BCH 403, MCH 311, or PGY 451; if you aren't requesting waivers for any of these courses, you simply type them into the Force Registration section on the bottom of the first page of the Preorientation Packet. Since the form is due by June 30th, and it states that they don't process waiver requests until after that date, I assume that is also when force registration will take place.

Concerning not registering for electives, you are correct - since you can't register for biochem, med chem, and physio, you should only have registered for PHM 311 (lecture and recitation) and PHM 315 (lecture and lab) - PHM 111 isn't really a class, rather a designated seminar time that you have to remain mindful of during the semester. PHM 541 is another course that I guess we'll have to have force-registered, as I get a "Maximum graduate credit hours are 0.00" error message.

To Hendelefe: I was able to register for pharm calc - for Department, select "Pharmacy" and for Course Level select "300", it should be the first two selections there (along with PHM 315, which you also need to/are able to register for).

Hope that helped you guys... See you in the Fall!

do you know how full the class is? When do people have to start committing or sending deposits after acceptance-- meaning when am I possibly going to be interviewed lol ? :scared: cripes!

that I don't know. I assume the class is pretty full, because official interviews are over, and I also know that deposits were due like 10-14 days after being granted admission.
To be honest I don't really get their way of thinking nor do I understand their process, much as I try to. To top it all off, they're not very helpful in demistifying how it all works.

Do you guys have any preferences for external loans. I've been on several websites but cant really see any differences between them.Wells Fargo offers 0.50% interest rate reduction at repayment, besides that I dont really see any major differences between them. Are there any pluses or minuses between the usual lenders?

For those who were admitted to UB, where will you live this coming fall? I see the class block schedule for fall 2009 but half of classes are in North campus and the other half are in south campus. I am looking for apartments but I do not know where to look for. South or north campus?? I know pharmacy school will begin to move to south campus. When will it happen? Anyone knows? Thanks~

For those who were admitted to UB, where will you live this coming fall? I see the class block schedule for fall 2009 but half of classes are in North campus and the other half are in south campus. I am looking for apartments but I do not know where to look for. South or north campus?? I know pharmacy school will begin to move to south campus. When will it happen? Anyone knows? Thanks~

When I interviewed I was told the move would happen in 2010 or 2011. However, maybe they'll be transitioning the class of 2013 between both campuses like you say. If that's the case I have to reconsider transport since I'll be living at the North campus apartments and will have no car come fall.

Some of the classes are on South Campus, but the majority of your time is going to be spent on North. There are free University-run buses that can get you from place to place when you need to (if you don't have or want to use other transportation). I'd recommend living closer to the North Campus, if it's just convenience that you're looking for.

The school is *tentatively* scheduled to move to South Campus in the fall of 2012. By this point, you'll be on your P4 rotations so it won't really matter much which campus you're closer to. Keep in mind that the date is still very much in the air, with the current budget crunch and overall state of the economy. They're working on the building now, but who knows whether that will stay on schedule.

:eek: Wow, I was expecting a waitlist of 100 people or so, but wow that's crazy. Only 30 people. I feel a lot better. Hopefully the people that haven't responded aren't going to, but I'm feeling a lot more confident about our chances. :)

Did Jennifer Hess tell you this btw? Thanks alenadoma.

:eek: Wow, I was expecting a waitlist of 100 people or so, but wow that's crazy. Only 30 people. I feel a lot better. Hopefully the people that haven't responded aren't going to, but I'm feeling a lot more confident about our chances. :)

Did Jennifer Hess tell you this btw? Thanks alenadoma.

No, I spoke to the admissions office. It was the girl in the admissions office, she looked it up right on the computer as I was on the phone with her.

Do y'all know if the White Coat Ceremony is mandatory or optional?

thanks. i wasn't sure because it doesn't explicitly state that it is, as it is not mentioned in the " .You are REQUIRED TO ATTEND the following events" .section of the packet.

I would recommend living nearer to the north campus...it is a much nicer area. I know a few people that chose to live by the south campus and they regret the decision. Half of your classes for p1 year are on south (Biochem, Phys1 and 2, and Micro), but after that there's only a few that are on south. The north and south are actually only about 8 minutesa apart and like someone said there are buses that run back and forth every ten minutes. BESIDES, those 4 classes of the p1 year on south are ALL all recorded and posted online so a majority of the students don't even go to them except for exams....with parking and such, it's still a pain to get back and forth.

I would recommend living nearer to the north campus...it is a much nicer area. I know a few people that chose to live by the south campus and they regret the decision. Half of your classes for p1 year are on south (Biochem, Phys1 and 2, and Micro), but after that there's only a few that are on south. The north and south are actually only about 8 minutesa apart and like someone said there are buses that run back and forth every ten minutes. BESIDES, those 4 classes of the p1 year on south are ALL all recorded and posted online so a majority of the students don't even go to them except for exams....with parking and such, it's still a pain to get back and forth.