2008 (Fall 2009) SUNY Buffalo Interview/Acceptance Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Hello,

I saw this thread and I wanted to ask several questions for all. I have decided on taking the January PCAT this year but would that put me in a disadvantage because it is on rolling basis. I mean, i think my application won't be looked at until Feb/march b/c it takes 6 weeks for the scores to sent in after Jan 24th. I'm so worried, I mean if i do really well on the PCAT, i'll still have a chance..?Thanks.

My science/math GPA is currently 3.5 if it helps..

Members don't see this ad.

Hello,

I saw this thread and I wanted to ask several questions for all. I have decided on taking the January PCAT this year but would that put me in a disadvantage because it is on rolling basis. I mean, i think my application won't be looked at until Feb/march b/c it takes 6 weeks for the scores to sent in after Jan 24th. I'm so worried, I mean if i do really well on the PCAT, i'll still have a chance..?Thanks.

My science/math GPA is currently 3.5 if it helps..

UB did say that the January PCAT will be the latest that the school will accept. I would call the school to confirm this if I were you. Anyways, the school is on a rolling admission policy, but they won't stop interviewing until April. They always save some seats until all of the applications are in by waitlisting people for interviews or admission. I know this because I was interviewed in April and about 7 of us was accepted and in my present class right now. If you did really well like (above 400 or 90 % comp) you will probably qualified for an interview with your GPA (although I can't guarantee that!). However, the longer it takes for your application to be process by the school, less spots will be available for interviews and you might have to compete more for it! Good luck!

UB did say that the January PCAT will be the latest that the school will accept. I would call the school to confirm this if I were you. Anyways, the school is on a rolling admission policy, but they won't stop interviewing until April. They always save some seats until all of the applications are in by waitlisting people for interviews or admission. I know this because I was interviewed in April and about 7 of us was accepted and in my present class right now. If you did really well like (above 400 or 90 % comp) you will probably qualified for an interview with your GPA (although I can't guarantee that!). However, the longer it takes for your application to be process by the school, less spots will be available for interviews and you might have to compete more for it! Good luck!

Thanks for the quick reply. I did call them and they did say they accepted Jan pcat and she also said that there are many students that do take the Jan PCAT. Do you know if being waitlisted is based on when you turn your application in or grades? and if you know ppl with later app get in w/o being on the waitlist. Thank you!

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks for the quick reply. I did call them and they did say they accepted Jan pcat and she also said that there are many students that do take the Jan PCAT. Do you know if being waitlisted is based on when you turn your application in or grades? and if you know ppl with later app get in w/o being on the waitlist. Thank you!

I don't sleep much that's why I am up to answer your question...lol anyways..being wait listed has to do with your application in comparison to the rest of the applicants not when you turn it in (as long as you turn it in on time!)..you can get wait listed for an interview or for admission. Did you take a look at our class profile yet? It will give you an idea as to whom your competitors will be like grade/PCAT/degree wise. As for being on the wait list, it all depends on how good of a class you are competing against! Good luck!

What GPA does UB look at? Is it pharmcas?

What are the tuition fees for all years for international students?

I'm curious about that too. I go to a SUNY school, and pharmcas calculated my gpa different than my school. Will they take the pharmcas gpa, or my suny gpa? I hope my SUNY gpa, it's definitely better.

The tuition for UB as of now for international or out of states student is
~11000 P1, 23000 for P2-P3. As for what GPA they take, you should contact the school to make sure how they calculate the GPA. I don't know the answer for sure.

Interview on Feb. 6!! Anybody else??

Congrats! I used to live in San Jose and Milpitas! If you are interviewing in Feb make sure you dress warmly, there will be plenty of snow around then.

I got an e-mail a few days ago for the feb 6th interview date! :-D Good luck to everyone and hope to see you there!

sci GPA 3.6
cum GPA 3.7
PCAT 99

I got an e-mail a few days ago for the feb 6th interview date! :-D Good luck to everyone and hope to see you there!

sci GPA 3.6
cum GPA 3.7
PCAT 99

holy crap! your stats are a buzz kill for everyone else! =P good job! but now I'm going to have to kill myself... or find a better use for my apps.. perhaps for toilet paper... ( . .)

Also got an interview date for 2/13.

GPA 3.84
Sci gpa 3.81
pcat 71 percentile (comprehension was terrible)

Members don't see this ad :)
oh my gosh, now i'm really nervous. i submitted the supp around 9/12 and have heard nothing since. so they give you 3.5 months to prepare for the interview? i guess that could be good and bad...

interview feb. 6th! maybe i'll see you there finestdrug. i'm also from ca by the way

I am so excited I got an interview for Feb 13. :)

Congrats to all of you guys with interviews!!!! :)
Do you guys mind posting your stats?

I also just received an interview for Feb 13. Soooo pumped!! haha

Congrats everyone! Just want to let you know that the interviews will be 45 minutes long individually instead of 20 minutes like last year. You guys will also do a group exercise too, or at least they were planning to do that the last time I talked to christine. Have fun and dress to impress but warmly!

I feel like people with THE HIGHEST stats apply to buffalo
ahhh:scared:

I had just submitted my supplemental app this morning, so I can't wait to hear from them hopefully. By looking at the posted stats, I don't think they're going to invite me at all!

Congrats to all who received an interview at UB!! I just finished my Pharmcas the other day and I'm waiting for my supplemental stuff. I'm currently a masters student at UB and a little discouraged after talking to admissions.. they pretty much told me I wouldn't get in....with a Master of Public Health!!! UB is nearly impossible and kudos to all of you that get in.
my stats are undergrad cum GPA 3.1, pre-reqs 2.8, pcat composite 82 and graduate GPA 3.75. i work in a pharmacy and have volunteered in Roswell's pharmacy. I've applied twice before (2003 and 2006).. no luck..

Hopefully they will at least feel bad enough for me to give me an interview :eek:

good luck!

Congrats to all who received an interview at UB!! I just finished my Pharmcas the other day and I'm waiting for my supplemental stuff. I'm currently a masters student at UB and a little discouraged after talking to admissions.. they pretty much told me I wouldn't get in....with a Master of Public Health!!! UB is nearly impossible and kudos to all of you that get in.
my stats are undergrad cum GPA 3.1, pre-reqs 2.8, pcat composite 82 and graduate GPA 3.75. i work in a pharmacy and have volunteered in Roswell's pharmacy. I've applied twice before (2003 and 2006).. no luck..

Hopefully they will at least feel bad enough for me to give me an interview :eek:

good luck!

Why is that ??? They do not like your graduate school experience? ????? Sounds weird to me.

Why is that ??? They do not like your graduate school experience? ????? Sounds weird to me.

I don't know about UB, but I know Western doesn't look at graduate studies. This is based on the info that I got at their Info Session.

i went and met with 2 people from admissions at UB in the spring and asked them if by having my masters by May 2009, would i have a good chance of getting in for fall of 2009 and she point blank told me that since my undergrad grades were cum. GPA 3.1, science ~2.8 and PCAT composite 82, even with my graduate GPA of 3.75 and a job as a pharm tech...I " probably wouldn't get in for fall 2009" I swear....seriously very discouraging and really made me mad!!! :( Basically she suggested applying to other schools and to not get my hopes up for UB.

i went and met with 2 people from admissions at UB in the spring and asked them if by having my masters by May 2009, would i have a good chance of getting in for fall of 2009 and she point blank told me that since my undergrad grades were cum. GPA 3.1, science ~2.8 and PCAT composite 82, even with my graduate GPA of 3.75 and a job as a pharm tech...I " probably wouldn't get in for fall 2009" I swear....seriously very discouraging and really made me mad!!! :( Basically she suggested applying to other schools and to not get my hopes up for UB.

:( Aww, hunny I feel you... because I have very similar grades as you. I think you should study your butt off for the PCATs (aim for 95+) and apply for 2010 if you want UB and nothing else. I think UB uses the PCAT and undergrad GPA as their main rule of thumb, and since you don't have the undergrad GPA (like me), you MUST have the PCAT! But if pharmacy is all you want, then don't worry, there are lots of other schools out there looking for people like you. I would apply to schools looking for candidates with B.S.'s because they surely will value your masters. The one school that comes to mind is Touro. I think there are lots more. I wish you the best!

aww thanks for the encouragement, I'm actually hoping for LECOM bradenton to come through if I don't get UB. Do you know if they are more lenient? :oops: going from Buffalo to FL would be a nice change!

aww thanks for the encouragement, I'm actually hoping for LECOM bradenton to come through if I don't get UB. Do you know if they are more lenient? :oops: going from Buffalo to FL would be a nice change!

Wow - I also am in a similar situation as you. My grades are close to yours, and my PCAT is an 86. I'm also getting my master's at UB this spring. I went to talk to UB admissions committee a bunch of times with similar results. Just do your best with personal statement, LORs, ECs, working as a tech is a plus (Where do you work?? I work at Target pharmacy). But apply anyway - it doesn't hurt.
UB is my top choice as well. Best of luck to you!!!!!

Hi there! glad to know someone is in the same boat as me!! I work at woodmark pharmacy- its on wehrle near the airport. We distribute to all the Elderwood nursing homes and various others catholic homes in western ny. WHat is your masters in? UB and LECOM-B are my #1 choice. which target do you work at? Best of luck to you as well!! :D

Hi there! glad to know someone is in the same boat as me!! I work at woodmark pharmacy- its on wehrle near the airport. We distribute to all the Elderwood nursing homes and various others catholic homes in western ny. WHat is your masters in? UB and LECOM-B are my #1 choice. which target do you work at? Best of luck to you as well!! :D

I'm doing the Roswell Park program and my Master's is going to be in Cancer Control and Prevention, but I am actually taking a public health class this semester! lol, wouldn't it be funny if we were in the same class!
Ooh, your pharmacy sounds interesting! I work at the Target on Niagara Falls Boulevard in Amherst!
have you submitted to UB yet??

Wow. I am having the opposite problem. I have a good GPA but my PCAT score is low. I will be retaking it in January for Buffalo. I would still encourage you to apply though. You never know. Good luck to us all. :)

I'm doing the Roswell Park program and my Master's is going to be in Cancer Control and Prevention, but I am actually taking a public health class this semester! lol, wouldn't it be funny if we were in the same class!
Ooh, your pharmacy sounds interesting! I work at the Target on Niagara Falls Boulevard in Amherst!
have you submitted to UB yet??

Oh my gosh that would be so funny, what a small world. which class are you taking? Is it Healthcare Organizations- SPM 507? The Roswell programs sound really cool, I was looking at them when I decided to do the MPH program instead. How do you like working at Target?
I just finished my pharmcas and submitted it last week... a little later than I would've hoped, I was waiting on my last letter to come through. I haven't started any supplemental applications yet. :oops:

Oh my gosh that would be so funny, what a small world. which class are you taking? Is it Healthcare Organizations- SPM 507? The Roswell programs sound really cool, I was looking at them when I decided to do the MPH program instead. How do you like working at Target?
I just finished my pharmcas and submitted it last week... a little later than I would've hoped, I was waiting on my last letter to come through. I haven't started any supplemental applications yet. :oops:

I'm taking Principles of Public Health with prof. Bertram. I think its SPM533?
I really like it at Target, the pharmacists that I work with are amazing, I think I got really lucky with that.
I don't think your chances are bad at all. When I went to talk to UB, they told me that if you have graduate work then your grad GPA should be about a 3.75, and you have it! Just submit the supp asap (it's really easy), and I really think you have a good shot!

I'm taking Principles of Public Health with prof. Bertram. I think its SPM533?
I really like it at Target, the pharmacists that I work with are amazing, I think I got really lucky with that.
I don't think your chances are bad at all. When I went to talk to UB, they told me that if you have graduate work then your grad GPA should be about a 3.75, and you have it! Just submit the supp asap (it's really easy), and I really think you have a good shot!

I took that with Bertram last year, oh man I hateddddd that class, it was everybody's least favorite. It's so dry and boring!! (Bertram isn't so popular either with the students). I thought you would be in my healthcare organizations class or like an epidemiology class. If you have the opportunity to take an epidemiology class, it's way better and more interesting.
I'm glad Target is working out for you! It's nice when the pharmacists are helpful and nice. Some on the pharmacists I work with are soooo nice but then others are really crabby and mean. Do you like the retail aspect?

I think I have to wait for UB to receive my pharmcas before I do the supp, right? I just sent pharmcas off last weds so I may have to wait a bit. What other schools are you applying to? :)

I took that with Bertram last year, oh man I hateddddd that class, it was everybody's least favorite. It's so dry and boring!! (Bertram isn't so popular either with the students). I thought you would be in my healthcare organizations class or like an epidemiology class. If you have the opportunity to take an epidemiology class, it's way better and more interesting.
I'm glad Target is working out for you! It's nice when the pharmacists are helpful and nice. Some on the pharmacists I work with are soooo nice but then others are really crabby and mean. Do you like the retail aspect?

I think I have to wait for UB to receive my pharmcas before I do the supp, right? I just sent pharmcas off last weds so I may have to wait a bit. What other schools are you applying to? :)

I'm actually considering taking an epi class next semester, because right now, the only course I am registered for the Spring semester is Pharmacology! Everything is done for my Master's, and I don't know what else to take! Any suggestions??
I don't mind retail at all. I don't know if I would do it for the rest of my life, but for now it's good enough!
As far as sending out supps go, I'd send it out. After I submitted my PharmCAS, I completed a bunch of supplementals before the schools had my pharmcas info. I hope we all get in!!!!!!
I applied to 8 other schools..4 in Pennsylvania, University of Michigan (and I was accepted! yaay!!), cincinatti, maryland and st.john fisher.
How about you??

Just found out.....I got waitlisted:(

I'm actually considering taking an epi class next semester, because right now, the only course I am registered for the Spring semester is Pharmacology! Everything is done for my Master's, and I don't know what else to take! Any suggestions??
I don't mind retail at all. I don't know if I would do it for the rest of my life, but for now it's good enough!
As far as sending out supps go, I'd send it out. After I submitted my PharmCAS, I completed a bunch of supplementals before the schools had my pharmcas info. I hope we all get in!!!!!!
I applied to 8 other schools..4 in Pennsylvania, University of Michigan (and I was accepted! yaay!!), cincinatti, maryland and st.john fisher.
How about you??

Congrats on Michigan, thats awesome!!! I'm only applying to 4, UB, St. John Fisher, LECOM-Bradenton, and Nova Southeastern. UB and LECOM are my top choices.
Do you know which epi class it is? I would take it, epi is pretty interesting and useful. Some people get it right away and its easy for them, I was not one of those people, epi has definately been a challenge for me and still is, but I enjoy it. Which pharmacology are you taking? I took PMY405/406 during undergrad. I'm only taking 2 classes next semester and doing my integrative project- which is like a thesis or very involved literature review for MPH. Which will hopefully give me more time to work because after applying to all these schools and using pharmcas, I'm broke!! haha.

Don't worry about being waitlisted for UB, I know a girl that was accepted for 2008 who was waitlisted all spring semester and she eventually got accepted during the summer. Maybe you could talk to someone in admissions and see what they think? I really have faith that we will be fine, we definately have an advantage with our masters!!! :oops:

woohoo!!! just hot an interview invite!!!!:p

Ooops...wrong thread...i'm not pre-pharmacy...i'm a doctor (to be) :) can't figure out how to delete this post... sorry everyone!:oops:

When you guys found out that you're waitlisted, did they send you guys an email or a letter?