2008-2009 University of Wisconsin Secondary Application Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Interviewed at the end of February, finally got the green light in the mail today! Sweeeeeet.

Congratulations! :D

Members don't see this ad.

Congrats RoadRunner! Good job acing your interview =]

When'd you interview? I interviewed 2/28... did you receive anything via email? or just snail mail?

Interviewed 2/20, got the good news via snail mail. It was dated 3/12, just like big10badger's. I suppose it just took more time to reach my parents' mailbox in Michigan. So maybe you will hear something soon!

Members don't see this ad :)
Congrats RoadRunner! Good job acing your interview =]

When'd you interview? I interviewed 2/28... did you receive anything via email? or just snail mail?

I interviewed around the same time as you and recieved acceptance in mail a couple days ago.

I interviewed around the same time as you and recieved acceptance in mail a couple days ago.

Congrats!

Make sure to check out the UWSMPH Class of 2013 thread and facebook!

congrats batman!

i got placed on the alternate list =[ (is this the same as the waitlist? i've been told by lucy at admissions that it is)

would have loved to go there. sigh. will know the place on the waitlist in a couple of weeks via snail mail, according to the admissions

I just received a letter with my position on the waitlist... anyone else? It sounds like the list is combined is/oos - is this correct?

Last edited:
I just received a letter with my position on the waitlist... anyone else? It sounds like the list is combined is/oos - is this correct?

What does the position mean?
Will they tell you the exact rank number in the list, e.g. No. 10 of the 100 peolpe list? Or just a rough number? Top one third, top half?

In addition, will they send this letter to all people in the waiting list?

Thanks.

What does the position mean?
Will they tell you the exact rank number in the list, e.g. No. 10 of the 100 peolpe list? Or just a rough number? Top one third, top half?

In addition, will they send this letter to all people in the waiting list?

Thanks.

They send a letter to everyone on the waitlist with their exact rank number, though they don't tell you how many are on the list.

I'm pretty sure they have different IS/OOS lists

I received my rank letter today. They do have separate in-state and out-of-state waitlists. During the last five years, they've taken as many as 29 and as few as 0 total alternates. "Some of the offers have been to nonresident applicants." I'm mid-20s on the OOS waitlist and upon calling the admissions office, I was told "That's kind of high." My guess would be that if you're not in single digits on the OOS waitlist, your odds are not good.

I received my rank letter today. They do have separate in-state and out-of-state waitlists. During the last five years, they've taken as many as 29 and as few as 0 total alternates. "Some of the offers have been to nonresident applicants." I'm mid-20s on the OOS waitlist and upon calling the admissions office, I was told "That's kind of high." My guess would be that if you're not in single digits on the OOS waitlist, your odds are not good.

According to the UW 2008 entering class data, they gave 94 acceptances for OOS and 38 finally entered the class. This means around 50 OOS people will get off the waiting list. Is this right?

According to the UW 2008 entering class data, they gave 94 acceptances for OOS and 38 finally entered the class. This means around 50 OOS people will get off the waiting list. Is this right?

I didn't ask specifically about this statistic, but I don't think that's the correct interpretation of the data. I imagine they have a set maximum number of OOS spots (we'll say 35) and then they extend enough acceptances to where they're likely to hit that number. And if they go a little over, so be it. So when they extended 94 acceptances, they probably assumed that approximately 1/3 would actually come and the rest would go elsewhere. But if they only got 20-25 people who accepted the invitation, then they'd go to the OOS waitlist to make up for the difference. From my standpoint, if they offered 94 OOS acceptances this year, I would need about 80-85 of those people to go elsewhere. Or 70-75 people go elsewhere and 10-15 people above me on the waiting list go elsewhere, etc.

I could be wrong about the particulars, but if mid-20s on the OOS list is high, there's no reason to think they are likely to go 50 deep. Also, the letter indicated that in the past five years, the greatest number of alternates taken in any given year (and that includes both in-state and OOS) was 29.

Members don't see this ad :)
I didn't ask specifically about this statistic, but I don't think that's the correct interpretation of the data. I imagine they have a set maximum number of OOS spots (we'll say 35) and then they extend enough acceptances to where they're likely to hit that number. And if they go a little over, so be it. So when they extended 94 acceptances, they probably assumed that approximately 1/3 would actually come and the rest would go elsewhere. But if they only got 20-25 people who accepted the invitation, then they'd go to the OOS waitlist to make up for the difference. From my standpoint, if they offered 94 OOS acceptances this year, I would need about 80-85 of those people to go elsewhere. Or 70-75 people go elsewhere and 10-15 people above me on the waiting list go elsewhere, etc.

I could be wrong about the particulars, but if mid-20s on the OOS list is high, there's no reason to think they are likely to go 50 deep. Also, the letter indicated that in the past five years, the greatest number of alternates taken in any given year (and that includes both in-state and OOS) was 29.

Your point makes sense. Currently they have made many more acceptances than the entering class number (e.g. 165).

Wish a good luck for all peolpe on the waiting list!

Your point makes sense. Currently they have made many more acceptances than the entering class number (e.g. 165).

Wish a good luck for all peolpe on the waiting list!

Trust me, I hope I'm horribly wrong about this and there's a ton of waitlist movement.

So quite here!!!!!

Does anybody have any idea when the waiting list will start to move?

Unfortunately I could not find last year's UW application thread.

Unfortunately I do not think you will see a lot of movement (if any :() until after the May 15th deadline... at least that is how previous years have worked out.

Although they did do some things different this year already, so no one knows for sure. :)

Stay positive and good luck :luck:

I'm definitely holding onto my acceptance until the deadline. I'm waiting to see how the financial aid packages shake out before I do anything.

Does anyone know if UW-madison allows deferral after acceptance? and if so under what conditions and what time frame prior to classes starting or after acceptance does this need to take place? Thanks in advance

I think I remember seeing some handout somewhere that they DO allow deferrals, but I don't have the time to look for it now (heading to work soon). But I think it's there.

Anyway, last week I got one of these letters from the dean extolling UW and UWHC. Cool. :D Lots to think about.

Oddly enough, we just got an email this afternoon about this very thing... it looks like a letter needs to be sent in to request deferral by May 1.

Is there a match list showing what people specialize in during residency for this school for any of the past couple of years? Very tough to find....

They give you that information at the interview... including the compiled #'s for the past few years.

I see, but it hasn't been posted online anywhere by a student or on their website?....

I see, but it hasn't been posted online anywhere by a student or on their website?....

It's like 10 pages, so I don't think anyone's had the time or reason to scan it and post it online. It's a pain in the butt because it's printed front and back. Haven't seen it online. Did you interview at UW this year?

Also if you live nearby, they have copies stacked in the same hallway as the admissions office at the HSLC. You could go and grab one for yourself.

It's like 10 pages, so I don't think anyone's had the time or reason to scan it and post it online. It's a pain in the butt because it's printed front and back. Haven't seen it online. Did you interview at UW this year?

Also if you live nearby, they have copies stacked in the same hallway as the admissions office at the HSLC. You could go and grab one for yourself.

I don't think there are hard copies of the 2009 match list out yet. I'm sure it'll probably be posted at some point. If anyone really wants one, PM me your email and I'll send you one.

yeah there's something wrong with rapidshare right now, I guess just PM me your email if you want the list!

So does anyone know when/how the football tickets are going to be made available? I'm assuming its in some sort of lottery format.. how does that all work?

Until this past fall, football tickets were available to all students who requested them. Now, however, they are distributed via lottery. Graduate students and 5th-year seniors receive 5 entries, seniors receive 4 entries, juniors receive 3 entries, and so on. The athletic department typically sends all students an e-mail with information regarding the lottery registration process as the system becomes available, but since I graduated this past December, I don't really know whether or not the e-mail has been sent out yet. You could search uwbadgers.com for more information or send an e-mail to [email protected] if you have further questions. Good luck with the lottery; few things can rival a night game at Camp Randall in early fall.

does anyone know if there is a certain type of computer (PC or Mac) that people prefer in med school?? does it matter in terms of streamed video access, etc?

Until this past fall, football tickets were available to all students who requested them. Now, however, they are distributed via lottery. Graduate students and 5th-year seniors receive 5 entries, seniors receive 4 entries, juniors receive 3 entries, and so on. The athletic department typically sends all students an e-mail with information regarding the lottery registration process as the system becomes available, but since I graduated this past December, I don't really know whether or not the e-mail has been sent out yet. You could search uwbadgers.com for more information or send an e-mail to [email protected] if you have further questions. Good luck with the lottery; few things can rival a night game at Camp Randall in early fall.

Lame, I shot off an email to them like two nights ago and it just bounced back into my mailbox. Maybe someone on here knows what's happening with those tickets.

If you're curious, uwbadgers.com is the athletic department's official website, so you could try hunting around for some details there. Otherwise, I know that the phone number for the ticket office is 1-800-GO-BADGERS.

Hi all,
I have withdrawn my application from UW. Best of luck to everyone!!:)

If you're curious, uwbadgers.com is the athletic department's official website, so you could try hunting around for some details there. Otherwise, I know that the phone number for the ticket office is 1-800-GO-BADGERS.

Finally got through to a rep today, and she told me that tickets will be available on a first-come-first-served basis on July 6 for graduate/professional students. Just a FYI for everyone.. I'm going to be on that like white on rice.. ;)

Anyone know how easy it is to get a non-UW friend in? Do they check the IDs before taking your voucher and giving you the tickets at the game itself?

Finally got through to a rep today, and she told me that tickets will be available on a first-come-first-served basis on July 6 for graduate/professional students. Just a FYI for everyone.. I'm going to be on that like white on rice.. ;)

Anyone know how easy it is to get a non-UW friend in? Do they check the IDs before taking your voucher and giving you the tickets at the game itself?

No. You have to flash a UW student ID when you pick up your student ticket vouchers prior to the beginning of the season. Each individual voucher has the word "student" printed on it, and when you present that voucher at the gate on game day, you receive a student ticket in exchange; the actual ticket itself also has the word "student" printed on it. As you walk into one of the corresponding student gates inside the stadium, you have to show your ticket to a security guard in order to gain entrance to the student section. As long as any non-UW friend purchases a voucher (off the street, on eBay, whatever) that has the word "student" printed on it, he/she won't have any trouble getting into the student section. Unless, of course, they change the ticket policy again this year. (I think they changed the distribution process at least twice during my time on campus).

i'm withdrawing soon. have to send out the "it's not you, it's me" letter. good luck everyone...

we'll all be okay at the end. have faith in THAT.

I'm OOS and just deferred for a year so someone should be coming of the list- enjoy

I'm an alternate on the OOS alternate list, and I called Monday morning and was told that a lot of people withdrew over the weekend. They said that my chances looked good of getting an offer.

HOWEVER, I called today and they said there has been no movement and that they were not offering acceptances from the alternate list this year. What's going on?

I'm an alternate on the OOS alternate list, and I called Monday morning and was told that a lot of people withdrew over the weekend. They said that my chances looked good of getting an offer.

HOWEVER, I called today and they said there has been no movement and that they were not offering acceptances from the alternate list this year. What's going on?

Hey biolec, I'm also on the OOS alternate list and when I called they said they haven't gotten to the list either. I think something like 60 or 70 people have to withdraw OOS before they even start going to the list. But I'm sure there are people who've gotten into UW still sitting on waitlists that they would go to if they were to get in. You can't give up hope just yet. If you don't mind me asking, what number were you on the OOS list?

Hey biolec, I'm also on the OOS alternate list and when I called they said they haven't gotten to the list either. I think something like 60 or 70 people have to withdraw OOS before they even start going to the list. But I'm sure there are people who've gotten into UW still sitting on waitlists that they would go to if they were to get in. You can't give up hope just yet. If you don't mind me asking, what number were you on the OOS list?

I am in the same ship, even though I was ranking very high on the oos list!

Wish for the best but be prepared for the worst!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm in the top 5.

I've been accepted to another school, (a less appealing one) and they gave me a week to decide if I wanted the spot. Torture.....

Did you talk to the same person? Often, there are ppl with different information on the process. As for me, I withdrew as OOS at the last minute(May 15th), so thats at least one extra OOS seat. My thinking is that they probably wont be exactly sure till end of this week on openings.

oh man, that's somewhat disconcerting. i'm in the top 10 for OOS, so i was pretty optimistic. but now my hopes have taken quite a hit.

Status
Not open for further replies.